gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680777 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 04:32:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite Solo Track  (Read 6095 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 01:58:06 PM »

Sound Of Free
Dreamer
Time For Bed

Last night before bed I was listening to the music on my Android on shuffle, and Sound Of Free and Dreamer came on one after the other.... I was about to get my mind blown if Time For Bed came on after that, but then it didn't. Weird that would happen a couple days after using this thread to figure out what  solo songs are my favorites.

No mas, por favor.
feelflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »

"Tug of Love"
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 11:41:09 PM »

River Song, every time. Hate to say this, but - SMiLE aside - Brian aint come anywhere close to this song with anything in his solo work.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 12:23:15 AM »

River Song, every time. Hate to say this, but - SMiLE aside - Brian aint come anywhere close to this song with anything in his solo work.

Sometimes I think this myself.  While I find the POB album somewhat uneven, "River Song" has the ambition, sophistication, and excitement I kept hoping to hear from Brian in the second half of the 70s.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 12:58:09 AM »

Let It Shine.  Brian may not like it but I do.  Smiley
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 01:58:01 AM »

Wow, that's a tough call, so many solo albums, and all very very different, hard to compare.

You & I
DennyMac79
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 07:42:26 AM »

Southern California and Constant Companion
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 07:55:04 AM »

What Love Can Do.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 08:01:41 AM »

River Song
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 09:26:43 AM »

Brian (who didn't have a proper solo album until 27 years into his career) past his prime can't keep up with Dennis during his prime? A prime which occurred after Brian had written dozens and dozens of brilliant songs before him? Yer fulla sh*t.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »

Brian (who didn't have a proper solo album until 27 years into his career) past his prime can't keep up with Dennis during his prime? A prime which occurred after Brian had written dozens and dozens of brilliant songs before him? Yer fulla sh*t.

No i'm not. Your argument is totally flawed. 'A prime which occured after Brian had written dozens of brilliant songs before him'? Yes, Brian had written dozens of brilliant songs. I'm not for one second saying he didn't - indeed, only an idiot would say that. However, were those dozens of brilliant songs released as Brian Wilson solo songs? No they weren't. Is this a thread specifically about solo tracks? Yes it is. Does any of Brian's solo work - all of which was released after POB (as all his work prior to that was officially with the Beach Boys) - realistically come close to bettering River Song? No it does not. So i think you'll find that it is in fact you who is 'fulla sh*t'.
Time scale has got nothing to do with it - we're talking quality of songs, not when the songs were recorded. That's irrelevent to the question. 'What's the best solo track?', that was the question. So, what, should we pretend Brian's solo work is as good as POB out of sympathy because Brian was past his prime when he recorded his solo albums and because he'd previously - when not a solo artist - recorded great songs? Don't wade in with insults until you've got a coherent counter argument.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:47:43 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »

Brian: Melt Away, Rio Grande, Midnight's Another Day
Dennis: It's Not Too Late, Cocktails, Only With You

Haven't heard the other guys' solo stuff, really.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »

No i'm not. Your argument is totally flawed. 'A prime which occured after Brian had written dozens of brilliant songs before him'? Yes, Brian had written dozens of brilliant songs. I'm not for one second saying he didn't - indeed, only an idiot would say that. However, were those dozens of brilliant songs released as Brian Wilson solo songs? No they weren't. Is this a thread specifically about solo tracks? Yes it is. Does any of Brian's solo work - all of which was released after POB (as all his work prior to that was officially with the Beach Boys) - realistically come close to bettering River Song? No it does not. So i think you'll find that it is in fact you who is 'fulla sh*t'.
Time scale has got nothing to do with it - we're talking quality of songs, not when the songs were recorded. That's irrelevent to the question. 'What's the best solo track?', that was the question. So, what, should we pretend Brian's solo work is as good as POB out of sympathy because Brian was past his prime when he recorded his solo albums and because he'd previously - when not a solo artist - recorded great songs? Don't wade in with insults until you've got a coherent counter argument.

I get your logic and all that we're talking strictly solo material, but it's an odd comparison to make if you think of it in terms of who wrote the song and when. Comparing Brian's best 1970 track to Dennis' best 1970 track makes a world of sense to me. Comparing Dennis' best track in 1977 to Brian's best track in 2008 makes absolutely no sense to me.

Just an observation on things while still understanding that the thread pertains strictly to solo material be it 1966 or 2012. It was just very strange to see people, in a sense, basically saying, "Brian ain't got shit on Dennis," when he very much does in the grand scheme. I get that it's strictly solo material comparisons, it's just that their solo careers took place at completely different times and under completely different circumstances.

Agayn, just an observation on things.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 09:39:20 PM »

As an example, River Song sounds to me very Brian. At least harmonies.

i don't heart that at all, brian never went "gospel" in my mind.  That seems like a pure Dennis song.  Emotion, soul, rocking.  Sooo good.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 09:50:48 PM »

brian never went "gospel" in my mind. 

"He Come Down"? "That Same Song"?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 04:24:41 AM »

Let It Shine.  Brian may not like it but I do.  Smiley

all his work prior to that was officially with the Beach Boys

Actually, if you want to get technical, mine is really "Caroline, No".  Wink

Because it was after all "officially" a "Brian Wilson" track.

I'm kidding, of course.   Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx