gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680781 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:53:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys/Mike&Bruce - Oct. 14, 2001 (South Carolina State Fair)  (Read 2725 times)
amonomous
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »

I'll post the setlist and write-up (which I thought was funny to see as that stood out in my mind also, the whole Mike/photo episode) from Eric's Setlist Archive at ["http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/bb.html"] then I'll share my recollection below that:

South Carolina State Fair, Columbia, SC
October 14, 2001

Contributor Karen Burdorff comments about the order of the songs from #14 on: "HERE my setlist order gets a little fuzzy because MIKE TOOK MY PEN! You see ...I held up a picture that I took two years ago at the fair of Mike, and he was wearing the same yellow pants that he had on today...well, he went into a 3 minute comedy routine about those pants and picture, holding it up for all to see...(I wish that I had had a recorder) and then asked for my pen so he could sign the picture later, which he did do) anyway, from then on , I couldn't write down the songs...." [as posted on California Saga]
Beach Boys present:

Mike Love
Bruce Johnston
Backup band:

Chris Farmer
Tim Bonhomme
Mike Kowalski
Adrian Baker
John Cowsill
Scott Totten
SETLIST

1. California Girls
2. Do It Again
3. Catch A Wave
4. Hawaii
5. Dance Dance Dance
6. Do You Wanna Dance
7. Little Honda
8. Surfer Girl
9. Don't Worry Baby
10. Little Deuce Coupe
11. 409
12. Shut Down
13. I Get Around
14. Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
15. Rock And Roll Music
16. Good Vibrations
17. God Only Knows
18. Sloop John B
19. Wouldn't It Be Nice
20. Kokomo
21. Help Me Rhonda
22. Barbara Ann
23. Surf City
24. Surfin Safari
25. Surfin USA
Encore:
26. Fun Fun Fun

Contributed by: Karen Burdorff

Ok, first off there was a freak thunderstorm right before the Boys were scheduled to go on that sent people racing in droves to tents and awnings and anywhere we could get to vainly try and avoid the torrential downpour that only stopped as (surpirse!) the Beach Boys took to the stage.. For the duration of the concert the clouds parted and the sun shined. I recall Mike saying something to the effect of "The sun comes out strong when the Beach Boys come on" (Mike was really ON for this show and bantered quite a bit, both all of the familiar quotes I've heard over the years (paraphrasing from memory) "they say my cousin Brian is a genius, I guess so: he stays home and collects a check while we go out and play his songs..etc and a few new ones to me anyway, such as a few quips mostly centered on age (the "senior citizen moshpit") but how did they SOUND? Fantastic.

Honestly. I wasn't going into it blindly, I knew full well what the lineup was and so did my girlfriend at the time who also loved the experience. Mike was in good voice that day as was Bruce who sang a beautiful tribute to Carl in the form of "God Only Knows." Some of the "oldies" covers they chose grated a bit as the mind boggles at what could have been there instead but overall the band was so energetic and FUN (John Cowsill's antics -and vocals/musical chops of course-were particularly memorable. He seemed to be having a good time)  it all evened out and I can honestly say I was able to enjoy the entire show with no gripes (that I can recall anyway) it was just a very fun and enjoyable day. The incident described above with Mike and the photograph was one I remember well as Mike stopped the show to banter with the lady and show off the photo showing him wearing the same bright yellow (I'd also seen him in those in countless appearances on tv and such, so I remember finding that particularly amusing) pants that he was wearing that day as well.. To find out years later I owe my knowledge of the setlist to her is interesting to say the least. I recall the intro to "WDFFIL" being very tight and well rehearsed and I was pleased to actually hear Mike and Bruce in the blend, little things like that stood out throughout the show.

The presence of Carl, Brian, Dennis, and Al were certainly missed but we were able to enjoy the show for what it was and it really did feel like a celebration of the music. I cannot wait (I hope they come near enough to make the drive) to see the remaining BB's in concert this year and I would attend another Mike and Bruce BB's show also and recommend them, though I can't speak for the current lineup as I know some members are different from when I saw them.. Oh, and before I forget to mention it: as soon as the Boys left the stage after the encore, the clouds rolled in and the rain started up again.. Interesting day.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:08:04 PM by amonomous » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx