gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:08:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If You Could Choose One Post Pet Sounds Album For A New Listener To Check Out...  (Read 13866 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »

Friends...

...because what they sing about is what I feel in my heart and I would like to convey to others but I could never say it myself.
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 09:21:24 PM »

Surf's Up for me, because nobody ever calls The Beach Boys "surfing Doris Day's" after listening to "Long Promised Road", "Feel Flows", "Til I die", and "Surf's Up". And "A Day In The Life Of A Tree" should a least provoke some interesting reactions.
Honorable mention to Holland, as it was one of my late father-in-laws favourite albums.
maccafan076
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »

I would have to go with 20/20. Lots of great moments and styles on that one.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »

My second Beach Boys album was Sunflower, which seemed to do the trick pretty well. But if I was free of picking a "proper" album, I'd actually throw together a compilation. A cop out, sure, but I've had a good amount of success doing a carefully-picked mashup of 20/20, Sunflower, and Surf's Up.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 09:29:42 PM »

thank you guys Smiley so i showed my gf this album...and guess what?
She dumped you.
yeah Sad she said it's over! ..lol jk
She hated everything except forever and cool cool water :[...i thought she would love it since it's one of the best beach boys albums...young people don't appreciate older music sometimes...my parents always played 60's,70's,80's music when i was growing up so i always had the privilege of listening to classic stuff & knowing about it.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 10:39:12 PM »

I don't know where this notion comes from that young people don't like The Beach Boys! I'm seventeen and I went to a party about a month ago where a good dozen of us were doing our loudest and most obnoxious Mike Love impressions on Wouldn't it Be Nice, my best friend named her car Rhonda after the single (we sing it every time we go for a drive) and even the relatively less popular stuff like Heroes and Villains gets us all scatting after we've had a few too many drinks!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »

I don't know where this notion comes from that young people don't like The Beach Boys! I'm seventeen and I went to a party about a month ago where a good dozen of us were doing our loudest and most obnoxious Mike Love impressions on Wouldn't it Be Nice, my best friend named her car Rhonda after the single (we sing it every time we go for a drive) and even the relatively less popular stuff like Heroes and Villains gets us all scatting after we've had a few too many drinks!
i wish some of my friends had taste like yours Smiley..none of mines really know about the beach boys except for their hits which they know because of movies...my friends listen to purely dubstep,rap(wiz khalifa,kid cudi,drake,kanye west,jay-z)
i wonder if any of you guys even know any of those rappers i jsut mentioned lol
wavedancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »

20/20 or Sunflower at least shows off the individual talents of the group as songwriters
  and producers.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 11:02:28 PM »

i wish some of my friends had taste like yours Smiley..none of mines really know about the beach boys except for their hits which they know because of movies...my friends listen to purely dubstep,rap(wiz khalifa,kid cudi,drake,kanye west,jay-z)

You do know a lot of us on this board are in our early to late 20s, some even younger, of course we know those rappers  LOL

Also, you got to realise that TBB's are pretty popular with younger people, it's even pretty cool to like them..

With People like Taylor swift and Katy Perry covering the songs it's exposing them to a whole new audience. Now with the Grammy's thing The Beach Boys are as relevant as ever, hell I'd put them up with the Stones and The Beatles in terms of 60's bands who have most successfully transcended generations

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »

Of course we know those rappers! We love all kinds of stuff, from 80s hardcore punk to mainstream pop like Kanye (who, despite what I've read people here say, is a great musician imo), it makes putting a playlist on shuffle a little jarring, but the music's all good  Cheesy

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »

You do know a lot of us on this board are in our early to late 20s, some even younger, of course we know those rappers  LOL

Also, you got to realise that TBB's are pretty popular with younger people, it's even pretty cool to like them..

With People like Taylor swift and Katy Perry covering the songs it's exposing them to a whole new audience. Now with the Grammy's thing The Beach Boys are as relevant as ever, hell I'd put them up with the Stones and The Beatles in terms of 60's bands who have most successfully transcended generations

I have a bad habit of putting people off The Beach Boys, as, due to my obsession, its basically all I play people. However, it does work to some extent on some people, but only in a few instances. (my dad likes an amount of songs that he didn't before). And then in the band, 3/4 members like the beach boys, the fourth doesn't (Loves Our Prayer though?), so thats a no go.  Sad

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »

Wow really? :] that makes me feel more comfy...and it's a great thing when young people are turned on to great 60's/70's/80/s music...they are with the beatles and stones it would be ridiculous if they werent!
it's good to see bands that are out right now praising the bb's (mgmt,foster the people,crystal castles)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 11:11:21 PM »

Of course we know those rappers! We love all kinds of stuff, from 80s hardcore punk to mainstream pop like Kanye (who, despite what I've read people here say, is a great musician imo), it makes putting a playlist on shuffle a little jarring, but the music's all good  Cheesy
i used to listen to punk/heavy metal but my taste has changed so much :] i've been an avid music listener since about 10 ..i mean as far as listening to albums and checking into singers/bands/groups discographies.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »

You should try K. 504... or K. 626... or K. 581....
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »

yeah you shoulda gone with Wild Honey or Friends. or both!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 11:39:14 PM »

yeah you shoulda gone with Wild Honey or Friends. or both!
i might've made a mistake by going with sunflower huh?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2012, 12:45:12 AM »

Wild Honey wouldn't have worked for me at all. Took me years to get into it and appreciate the "underproduced" approach.

From personal experience, I'd choose Surf's Up. That's the one that did it for me, mostly because it encapsulated so many myths surrounding BW like no single other record did. Also it contains some of their strongest material ever (with the possible exception of "SDT" and "TALOYF", both of which I still find very enjoyable) and personally I prefer it over Sunflower.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »

SMiLE (the first 19 or 20 tracks from disc 1). Or Friends.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
amonomous
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2012, 11:16:57 AM »

Do Twofer's count?  LOL If so Friends/20/20.. If not, then it would be a tough decision but I think 20/20 would win out.. I know it was thrown together, WE know this, that average new listener doesn't though, and to my ears it has never really *sounded* like a bunch of singles or whatever the usual gripes are with this album. There are some downright classic cuts, such as "I Can Hear Music" and "Time To Get Alone" the familiar sound of "Do It Again" and we even get a couple of SMiLE tunes as well. I've always loved this album, the tight groove of songs like "Bluebirds..." a lovely contribution (as always) from Dennis and the return of those bigger than life harmonies that had been stripped down a bit in the past several albums after Pet Sounds all made for a great listen. I know this isn't the coolest choice and I did consider "Sunflower," strongly.. but for me it's 20/20. (Mind you this isn't my personal favorite or anything, but I think for a casual fan of Pet Sounds and maybe a few singles the production and feel of this collection of songs would probably appeal to those people.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:23:08 AM by amonomous » Logged
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2012, 02:15:32 PM »

I introduced my partner to The Beach Boys the other day by showing him stuff from Adult/Child. He loved it.

He may be an exception though, he loves Dean Martin people like him.

To a regular music listener, probably Holland for progressive fans or BB85 for pop/rock fans (The 85 album is a strong pop album to anyone less critical discerning than Beach Boys fans, I've turned a few people on to them using this one)
Do not play BB85 to anyone, unless you want to get rid of them!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2012, 02:37:40 PM »

I introduced my partner to The Beach Boys the other day by showing him stuff from Adult/Child. He loved it.

To a regular music listener, probably Holland for progressive fans or BB85 for pop/rock fans (The 85 album is a strong pop album to anyone less critical discerning than Beach Boys fans, I've turned a few people on to them using this one)
what about getcha back? or i do love you? those are good Smiley
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »

They're average songs and they sound horrible and the rest are well below par, though I do enjoy Male Ego. That album is unlikely to entice anyone into the wonderful world of the BB's.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2012, 03:15:43 PM »

They're average songs and they sound horrible and the rest are well below par, though I do enjoy Male Ego. That album is unlikely to entice anyone into the wonderful world of the BB's.
male ego is so scary and sounds so un-cool and "old" i can picture a great grandfather singing it on the balcony or something smh
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »

male ego is so scary and sounds so un-cool and "old" i can picture a great grandfather singing it on the balcony or something smh
I can accept that, there's nothing remotely cool about BB 85. I still listen to Male Ego though occasionally and enjoy it. The rest I'll pass on.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »

I can accept that, there's nothing remotely cool about BB 85. I still listen to Male Ego though occasionally and enjoy it. The rest I'll pass on.
I Do Love You is one of the best bb songs to ever be recorded...harmonica by stevie wonder and carl singing his heart out..how could you not love that?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx