gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:32:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys song has grown on you the most?  (Read 10393 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 01:22:21 AM »

I would say as albums Friends and So Tough really grew on me over time, POB too.  On the other hand everything else (bar Dennis' stiff and maybe a dozen other songs)) post 1974 has really gotten worse and worse to me. I do still like TLOS and BWPS but things like MIU, 15 Big Ones, or BW 88 really sound a lot worse to me now.
That's funny...Friends and So Tough and POB I either instantly connected with (POB) from the first listen, or within 3 or 4 listens, and they were all instant favorites for me.

But I can relate to some albums really sounding worse to me than before (but I still like them overall!).  The ones that come to mind: BB85, Stars & Stripes, BW88.
Jameswilliam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 01:36:17 AM »

Leaving this town is one for me
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 04:17:08 AM »

Leaving this town is one for me

Ditto - Concert version, about a minute longer, just magnificent!   Wink
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 08:44:30 AM »

Transcendental Meditation.

I used to hate that song with a passion and made my opinion known on this board.

But it's grown so much on me lately. I can't wait till the end of that album when the last song plays  Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 09:57:05 AM »

Totally. It's one of those songs you hear on oldies radio and never think about, but if you actually listen to Help Me, Rhonda, it will blow you away. The piano and electric bass on the bottom, the hooky guitars layered with vocals, it is so good. What a great arrangement.

Exactly. When I was a kid, I thought I hated RHONDA, now I think it's one the greatest slices of audio of all time.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
wavedancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 01:47:20 AM »

You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone
MBE
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »

I would say as albums Friends and So Tough really grew on me over time, POB too.  On the other hand everything else (bar Dennis' stiff and maybe a dozen other songs)) post 1974 has really gotten worse and worse to me. I do still like TLOS and BWPS but things like MIU, 15 Big Ones, or BW 88 really sound a lot worse to me now.
That's funny...Friends and So Tough and POB I either instantly connected with (POB) from the first listen, or within 3 or 4 listens, and they were all instant favorites for me.

But I can relate to some albums really sounding worse to me than before (but I still like them overall!).  The ones that come to mind: BB85, Stars & Stripes, BW88.
I was only 12-13 when I first heard all the Beach Boys albums so that's probably why it took a while on those. By the time I was 16-17 I loved them.
MBE
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »

Love You is the one that people said would grow on me but I like it even less now as there was much better stuff done in 1976 that never came out. I think "Don't Fight The Sea", Lazy Lizzie, You've Lost That Loving Feeling, Sherry She Needs Me, Sea Cruize, Come Go With Me, 10,000 Years, My Diane, Marilyn Rovell, are all better than most of Love You.  I mean compare "Love Is A Woman"  to anything Dennis was doing at the time. I like the same three songs I always have from it. Good Time (from their prime obviously), Night Was So Young, I'll Bet He's Nice. Ding Dang is ok but the rest just doesn't do it for me. I do like most of Adult Child though.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2012, 02:16:53 PM »

Just Once in My Life

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »

Just Once in My Life
wow  Shocked why?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »

I always thought "Only with you" from Holland was a dud, but Dennis's powerful take on the POB reissue got me back on track (re both versions)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2012, 09:43:41 PM »

Back Home

I'm not a fan of post-1973 Beach Boys, but Back Home has grown on me. The first time I heard it, I hated it, but now I like it. Brian's gruff voice fits the atmosphere of the song, and the chorus is really catchy.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 08:32:39 PM »

The Whole Love You, just AWH MAN AMAZING.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 08:56:43 PM »

Most of this thread is blowing my mind and making me wonder what do Beach Boys fans like about them.

Be Here In The Morning?
Help Me Rhonda?
Love You?
Day In The Life of A Tree?
How She Boogalooed It?
Smiley Smile?
Summer Days and Summer Nights?
Little Bird?
Here Comes The Night?
I'll Bet He's Nice?
Then I Kissed Her?
Lana?
I Know There's An Answer?
Wild Honey?
When A Man Needs A Woman?
Transendental Meditation?
Don't Go Near The Water?
Friends?
Aren't You Glad?
Surf's Up?
Steamboat?
Wake The World?
Surfer Girl?
God Only Knows?

What? These songs/albums had to grow on people? I don't understand anything.

Insanity.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012, 09:06:44 PM »

your inability to understand that people's minds work differently is probably more insane lol.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »

That sounds like something I would be accused of Smiley but if someone says a song 'is growing on them' no foul.  There was a time when I wasn't a very big fan, just a casual fan of the songs I had heard as a kid.  Then I saw Mike & Bruce in concert, and was pretty much blown away. 
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »

Do You Like Worms, and that was before we discovered the lost melody.  And once we did, it made it even better still!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »

Most of this thread is blowing my mind and making me wonder what do Beach Boys fans like about them.

Be Here In The Morning? horrible..
Help Me Rhonda?
Love You? the album is too left field.
Day In The Life of A Tree? the title says it all lol
How She Boogalooed It?
Smiley Smile?
Summer Days and Summer Nights?
Little Bird?
Here Comes The Night?
I'll Bet He's Nice?
Then I Kissed Her?
Lana?
I Know There's An Answer?
Wild Honey?
When A Man Needs A Woman? cool melody..don't like the topic though..
Transendental Meditation? stupid mike love song..
Don't Go Near The Water? stupid mike love song lol
Friends?
Aren't You Glad?
Surf's Up?
Steamboat?
Wake The World?
Surfer Girl?
God Only Knows?

What? These songs/albums had to grow on people? I don't understand anything.

Insanity.

CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »

The Trader. I never hated it, just didn't really listen to it (ironic since I've always been way into Native American stuff). Now I love it. One of Carl's finest, imho
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2012, 01:48:29 AM »

Don't Worry Baby - was stunned by Brian's performance but not the overall song. Don't know how to explain, just didn't like it for awhile. Maybe it was too perfect for me.

Your Summer Dream - at first time I wasn't into this Surfer Girl cut because of its excessive sentimentality. Then, little by little, I started to like it.

Warmth of the Sun - another song that I didn't get. The melody seemed weird to my ears so it didn't appeal to me which is strange coz generally I like unusual and queer tunes. As time (about half a year) went by I quickly reversed myself and today it's in my favorites.

This Whole World - from the very beginning I was sort of indifferent to this little gem until recently I decided to listen Sunflower. Was I amazed by TWW!

Tears In The Morning, All I Wanna Do - the same as TWW

Please Let Me Wonder - I was choked up after listening the song, so I stopped playing it for some time. The record seemed too melancholic that I couldn't make myself listen to it. And, suddenly, I cottoned to this song.

I'm So Young - the same as PLMW.

wow your taste in the beginning of your beach boys journey was f***ed up...these are all amazing..i'm glad you realized it eventually.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2012, 02:09:32 AM »

Don't Worry Baby - was stunned by Brian's performance but not the overall song. Don't know how to explain, just didn't like it for awhile. Maybe it was too perfect for me.

Your Summer Dream - at first time I wasn't into this Surfer Girl cut because of its excessive sentimentality. Then, little by little, I started to like it.

Warmth of the Sun - another song that I didn't get. The melody seemed weird to my ears so it didn't appeal to me which is strange coz generally I like unusual and queer tunes. As time (about half a year) went by I quickly reversed myself and today it's in my favorites.

This Whole World - from the very beginning I was sort of indifferent to this little gem until recently I decided to listen Sunflower. Was I amazed by TWW!

Please Let Me Wonder - I was choked up after listening the song, so I stopped playing it for some time. The record seemed too melancholic that I couldn't make myself listen to it. And, suddenly, I cottoned to this song.

wow your taste in the beginning of your beach boys journey was f*cked up...these are all amazing..i'm glad you realized it eventually.
No more f***ed up than your current journey LOL

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2012, 04:04:55 AM »

Rickys and Blondies efforts never really cared for until recently. Though Leaving This Town has long been a big favourite. Sort of a theme song to my life.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2012, 05:55:44 AM »

wow your taste in the beginning of your beach boys journey was f*cked up...these are all amazing..i'm glad you realized it eventually.
No more f*cked up than your current journey LOL
you picked some of their best songs..shame on you for having such f***ed up taste..
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2012, 06:52:59 AM »

Funky Pretty! Though it was incredibly bland for the longest time. I find myself now singing it to myself more than any other BB song.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
beach boys fan podcast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 08:31:17 AM »

The entire "Love you" album. Seemed so goofy and unimportant at first, now I find it charming and sweet. still can´t stand "Johnny Carson" though..
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx