gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:38:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Sad About BB's Career After "Smile" Incident :'[  (Read 37871 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »

Everybody might be pissed at me for saying this but whenever i listen to Pet Sounds/Smile and then i hear Wild Honey and Friends (though i love those albums too) and all those albums after Smile i can't help but feel so sad for their career ..I see groups progress and progress ..get better and better. (Pink Floyd,Led Zeppelin,Beatles) I feel like the Beach Boys could've been greater then all of em if Brian would've held it together...Now i put the Beach Boys in same category as the groups who were hot then eventually went downhill as their career progressed (Monkees,Byrds,Turtles,Doors)..It's such a shame to see great talent go to waste because of drugs/mental issues but i do enjoy Brian's solo career and you can tell he hasn't completely lost it.
I wonder if i'm the only one who felt bad for the bb's after Brian's meltdown.. Cry
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »

No________flat out no.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:36:32 PM »

With the exception of Smiley Smile, I think all the albums through Surf's Up, while flawed, are at least very solid. As it stands the BBs will leave behind a body of work that no group, except possibly The Beatles, can beat. Que sera sera. The 60s happened, Brian flaked out and The Beach Boys had to change. Paradoxically, the traits that led Brian into mental illness most likely go hand in hand with his particular genius so it's hard for me to bemoan what DIDN'T happen after Smile.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »

SOME OF YOU ARE SO IN DENIAL :[
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »

no, some of us just love Carl and Dennis's music as much as we love Brian's, and don't conflate artistic success with commercial success.  It's not called denial, it's called taste.  My taste = different than your taste.  ain't rocket science.   
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »

Wild Honey and Friends are such awesome slices of Brian... i'd hate to imagine a world without them.

It's wrong to think Brian lost it when he lost SMiLE. he simply changed gears but kept making beautiful music for a couple more years at least. he just kind of said f*ck it and wrote whatever he felt like. quirky songs like I'd Love Just Once To See You, When A Man Needs A Woman, Busy Doin Nothin, etc. are the epitome of Brian to me.

I don't think the depression and mental issues really hit hard until 1969. a number of factors must have pushed Brian over the edge: he was committed and given thorazine (and electro-shock therapy?!!), Murry sold the publishing rights, the whole Manson thing went down, the band's popularity hit rock bottom, and the 60s ended on a real low note after so much promise. I'm sure all the drugs didn't help either.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:25:48 PM »

I think your argument that Pink Floyd (not a big fan personally) just "got better and better" is silly- there was clearly a decline for them some time in the 80s. Plus I don't think you would find too many Zeppelin fans that consider In through the Out Door to be their finest moment. As for the Beatles, to many fans  their peak was the Rubber Soul/Revolver era, so again, I don't think you can just unequivocally state that the Beatles just "got better and better". This does bring to mind an interesting question though- Are there any groups that anyone can think of who just got better and better?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:30:50 PM »

no, some of us just love Carl and Dennis's music as much as we love Brian's, and don't conflate artistic success with commercial success.  It's not called denial, it's called taste.  My taste = different than your taste.  ain't rocket science.   
this has nothing to do with commercial success...everything sounded so low budget after smile Sad even though i loved it i'm still saddened that he didnt work with the wall of sound and create more mastrpieces
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 10:33:23 PM »

I think your argument that Pink Floyd (not a big fan personally) just "got better and better" is silly- there was clearly a decline for them some time in the 80s. Plus I don't think you would find too many Zeppelin fans that consider In through the Out Door to be their finest moment. As for the Beatles, to many fans  their peak was the Rubber Soul/Revolver era, so again, I don't think you can just unequivocally state that the Beatles just "got better and better". This does bring to mind an interesting question though- Are there any groups that anyone can think of who just got better and better?
pink floyd in the 80's is better than any bb's songs post smile Smiley ok thats just my opinion
in through the out door is my favorite zeppelin album aside from house of the holy
and every beatles album is amazing :D especially white album,abbey road and let it be.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 10:39:57 PM »

To me Pink Floyd's peak was their first album.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 10:43:39 PM »

Damn right, Jon!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 10:49:37 PM »

To me it was Dark Side of the Moon & Animals as far as creativity :] but then again their 1st album made me a Pink Floyd fan and well that's the album by them i never get tired of...It's definItely in my top 3 albums by them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:57:07 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 11:03:31 PM »

...everything sounded so low budget after smile Sad even though i loved it i'm still saddened that he didnt work with the wall of sound and create more mastrpieces

You've not heard an album called Sunflower, I take it.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 11:09:08 PM »

...everything sounded so low budget after smile Sad even though i loved it i'm still saddened that he didnt work with the wall of sound and create more mastrpieces

That album was decent Smiley actually besides wild honey it's my favorite post smile album . Smiley..None of us fans can honestly say that the post smile material is what made us beach boy fans lol..we all know it's the pre-pet sounds and pet sounds and smile songs that really made us want 2 tap into the beach boys music. and really made us fanatics.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 11:16:19 PM »

While I don't agree that the Beach Boys "lost it" after Smile, I do agree that there was a decline.  The Beatles and Zeppelin were more consistent than the Beach Boys throughout their respective careers.  The Beatles never had one bad album and Zeppelin too until Bonham's death.  I think Friends, Wild Honey, Sunflower, and so on are pretty great albums but I don't think they reach any of the standards set by Pet Sounds or Smile or even the Today! album.  I would certainly argue that the Boys had lost it creatively by 1978.  Pink Floyd lost it after Roger Waters left.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:22:32 PM »

While I don't agree that the Beach Boys "lost it" after Smile, I do agree that there was a decline.  The Beatles and Zeppelin were more consistent than the Beach Boys throughout their respective careers.  The Beatles never had one bad album and Zeppelin too until Bonham's death.  I think Friends, Wild Honey, Sunflower, and so on are pretty great albums but I don't think they reach any of the standards set by Pet Sounds or Smile or even the Today! album.  I would certainly argue that the Boys had lost it creatively by 1978.  Pink Floyd lost it after Roger Waters left.
Wow you're the only one that doesn't seem in denial and actually understands what i mean. Smiley
I completely agree with you Smiley i just feel sad when i listen to "Pet Sounds" then i listen to "Friends" :[ it's such a downgrade :/..I actually loved "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" & "The Division Bell"...isn't the "The Final Cut" a Roger Water's album? lol Well it seems like it, thats the only album out of all of Pink Floyd's work that i dislike.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:25:15 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 11:30:01 PM »

That album was decent Smiley actually besides wild honey it's my favorite post smile album . Smiley..None of us fans can honestly say that the post smile material is what made us beach boy fans lol..we all know it's the pre-pet sounds and pet sounds and smile songs that really made us want 2 tap into the beach boys music. and really made us fanatics.

I can. It was the first time I heard "I Can Hear Music" that made me a fan.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »

You've not heard an album called Sunflower, I take it.  Grin

Extremely hard to believe  Tongue it's a great song but you know "Wouldn't it be Nice" or "God only Knows"are the songs that made you a fan mister no need to front. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:52:55 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 11:57:18 PM »

Extremely hard to believe  Tongue it's a great song but you know "Wouldn't it be Nice" or "God only Knows"are the songs that made you a fan mister no need to front. Smiley
You have your opinion, other people have their own. There's not some mass denial among the board, relax.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:58 AM »

With the exception of 'Today!', I don't prefer any of the 1962-1965 albums over any of the 1967-1971 albums. So I think The Beach Boys did pretty well after 'Smile'.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 12:01:24 AM »

Not true...it was Smiley Smile and (especially) Wild Honey that made me a fan back in 1995.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 12:01:43 AM »

You have your opinion, other people have their own. There's not some mass denial among the board, relax.
So You're the Spokesperson for this board? Chill the f*** Out!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 12:03:05 AM »

Smiley Smile and Wild Honey were definitely a "downgrade" after Pet Sounds.

on Friends you actually hear Brian using The Wrecking Crew again. songs like Friends, Little Bird and Busy Doin Nothin are fairly lush productions.

after Friends you've got studio powerhouses like Time to Get Alone and Breakaway.

I really think it was the psychological profession that damaged Brian the most. drugs like thorazine are notorious for robbing artists of their creativity and electro-shock therapy is probably one of the most barbaric and torturous "treatments" ever practiced.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:04:26 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 12:03:38 AM »

With the exception of 'Today!', I don't prefer any of the 1962-1965 albums over any of the 1967-1971 albums. So I think The Beach Boys did pretty well after 'Smile'.
No All Summer Long? :[
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »

Smiley Smile and Wild Honey were definitely a "downgrade" after Pet Sounds.

on Friends you actually hear Brian using The Wrecking Crew again. songs like Friends, Little Bird and Busy Doin Nothin are fairly lush productions.

after Friends you've got studio powerhouses like Time to Get Alone and Breakaway.

I really think it was the psychological profession that damaged Brian the most. drugs like thorazine are notorious for robbing artists of their creativity and electro-shock therapy is probably one of the most barbaric and torturous "treatments" ever practiced.
They used the Wrecking Crew for "Friends","Little Bird" and "Busy Doin Nothin"? really?  Grin
I thought what happened to Syd Barret happened to Brian too. :[
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx