gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:38:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Sad About BB's Career After "Smile" Incident :'[  (Read 38098 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 08, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »

Erik H, it's the total lack of respect for other's opinions that was bugging people. Not his actual opinion.  police

I get that, but I don't really read that from newguy's posts. He just seems young and with an attitude like any other 14 year old.

I've certainly seen much worse here by much more "mature" gentlemen.

Agreed. Give the guy a break.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 08, 2012, 05:04:38 PM »

Thanks You Guys Smiley I appreciate it ..i should've known the consequences for saying the stuff i said.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:10:09 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 08, 2012, 08:39:58 PM »

I can not believe this thread has lasted 10 pages. Sad
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 08, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »

I can't believe how many people i pissed off..and this was a good subject so i'm not suprised.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »

I can't believe how many people i pissed off..and this was a good subject so i'm not suprised.
n't

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2012, 09:36:25 PM »

My musical world would fall down without Smiley Smile, Wild Honey & Friends ... in some ways, I prefer them to Pet Sounds and certainly prefer all of them to Smile ... so to each their own ... there is just something special about '65-'68.  i don't see the transition from Pet Sounds to Smiley as being the big crash it's played up to be ... more like a natural transition and 'cooling out'.

and uh ... yeh, Summer in Paradise is just plain bad.  But Mike's '81 solo album is pretty decent.  Curt Boetcher (sic?) was a very talented guy.  His record "There's an Innocent Face" is super good.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »

I can. As soon as I read you post I thought "Hooo Boy! Run for cover"

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #232 on: February 09, 2012, 01:24:07 AM »

My musical world would fall down without Smiley Smile, Wild Honey & Friends ... in some ways, I prefer them to Pet Sounds and certainly prefer all of them to Smile

Yes, I treat Smiley Smile and SMiLE as two separate entities. Each are groundbreaking, and I couldn't tell you which I prefer. And as for Friends......as far as I'm concerned that was his pinnacle as a songwriter. I'm talking about the bare-bones of a song, chords, melody, and most importantly structure. This is a guy at the height of his powers, and I think the decline began, for Brian anyway, after Friends, not SMiLE.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2012, 02:28:35 AM »

Yes, I treat Smiley Smile and SMiLE as two separate entities. Each are groundbreaking, and I couldn't tell you which I prefer. And as for Friends......as far as I'm concerned that was his pinnacle as a songwriter. I'm talking about the bare-bones of a song, chords, melody, and most importantly structure. This is a guy at the height of his powers, and I think the decline began, for Brian anyway, after Friends, not SMiLE.

I agree. On Friends he clearly wasn't trying as hard anymore as he used to, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't still writing brilliant music.
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »

i kinda agree (in part)

its basically 2 bands

i love songs like little bird, forever, busy doin nothing, till i die, breakaway etc

however, it has to be acknowledged alot more substandard music here as well, sure theres still some nuggets to be mined but theres alot more quantity of meh on the later stuff.

to be honest outside 'Pet Sounds, Here Today, SMiLE, Sunflower' the beach boys blew hot and cold over the course of an albums length - thats not to say there isnt any music thats incredible because there is, however i think there is a wider sliding scale of great - bad, quality - cheese or whatever you wanna call it

hey there, interesting read this thread (for a variety of reasons )
seems like its cooled alittle on here now so thought id give this comment a bump, it seemed to get lost in the flames that came after, thought id pull it out and see what people thought about it
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »

i kinda agree (in part)

its basically 2 bands

i love songs like little bird, forever, busy doin nothing, till i die, breakaway etc

however, it has to be acknowledged alot more substandard music here as well, sure theres still some nuggets to be mined but theres alot more quantity of meh on the later stuff.

to be honest outside 'Pet Sounds, Here Today, SMiLE, Sunflower' the beach boys blew hot and cold over the course of an albums length - thats not to say there isnt any music thats incredible because there is, however i think there is a wider sliding scale of great - bad, quality - cheese or whatever you wanna call it

seems like its cooled alittle on here now so thought id give this comment a bump, it seemed to get lost in the flames that came after, thought id pull it out and see what people thought about it

Like so many people, you are making the mistake of judging The Beach Boys by their album output.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »

i kinda agree (in part)

its basically 2 bands

Like so many people, you are making the mistake of judging The Beach Boys by their album output.

In this thread yes i am, but your quite right it is a mistake to judge them solely by their albums.

To add a little twist though, i think the crux of the issue is... the level of sorting  'wheat from the chaff' pre and post SMiLE that is to be had from their albums - which is of course where most of their single material originates (discounting bsides). Undecided

There are great songs to be found post SMiLE, Pet Sounds,
ie when the band dynamic changed from a songwriter/producer (Brian Wilson) to a more democratic/band involved period

BUT there is a heck of a lot more varied styles, some good some bad, and writers, some good some bad, and producers/musicians (ditto some good etc) post SMiLE.
Personally however, the intergrity of the music begins to suffer the more the band begins to ape that big comeback single to relaunch them as their popularity ebbs n flows.

Upto and including SMiLE the production/arrangements/musicianship/writing is progressive (broadly speaking), however post SMiLE, this artistically harmonious  progression then starts to take a backseat, with popularity/survival/band democracy taking the lead.

i think its an interesting area, whether selection by commitee/popularity begins to compromise the overall artistic expression of the band, and so is more open to becoming more fragmented, less unified, artistically diluted, regressive, retrospective. That is a sweeping generalisation, and its not just related to the BB's either, its an artistic question of what the finished work represents/aspires to/connotes to the general public as well as to the smaller number of informed public like ourselves

i love alot of post SMiLE songs, albeit they're mainly Brian & Dennis songs as these seem to have better artistic intergity & higher quality writing/arranging to them - however there are ALOT more weaker,ill fitting songs & less melodic unity on these albums, they can often seem fragmented/uneven to listen to, I'm not sure if its a band vision or a collection of individuals trying to ape a collective vision which is something that i feel is more regressive than progressive?

bit of a ramble but heyho, im ready to have buttocks lightly toasted now  Wink

hope this makes sense, i have manflu and am highly dosed up on medication LOL Cool Guy Afro Undecided Roll Eyes Huh Shocked
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 09, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »

My musical world would fall down without Smiley Smile, Wild Honey & Friends ... in some ways, I prefer them to Pet Sounds and certainly prefer all of them to Smile

seriously i don't see the big deal with friends..i only like the 2nd side of it...what songs on the 1st side are great? besides passing by..
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 09, 2012, 10:39:47 AM »

seriously i don't see the big deal with friends..i only like the 2nd side of it...what songs on the 1st side are great? besides passing by..

Pet Sounds was Brian's symphony to teenage love life.
Friends is his acceptance of adult life and the responsibilities and fun times that come with it....raising a child, teaching the child about life, learning new ways to experience your consciousness.

It's just an adult version of Pet Sounds in my opinion. It takes idealistic adolescent love and makes it grow up. I don't think young people (including me) can fully grasp everything this album relates to, but it sure is fine music.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #239 on: February 09, 2012, 10:40:23 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, side "a" is the killer. Listen to the contrasting dynamics in "Wake The World", the harmonies in "Friends". Listen to the structure of "When A Man Needs A Woman", no simple verse /chorus here. I could go on and on and on. Really it's the subtlety of this album. Brian isn't shouting as loud, but everything that makes a great BB's album is here in spades. You need to listen.

But in all fairness to you, it took me awhile to get into Friends. The 61 - 66 period is more accessible. The albums from Pet Sounds on demand a bit more work as a listener, but if you do that work, you will be rewarded.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 09, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »

Pet Sounds was Brian's symphony to teenage love life.
Friends is his acceptance of adult life and the responsibilities and fun times that come with it....raising a child, teaching the child about life, learning new ways to experience your consciousness.

It's just an adult version of Pet Sounds in my opinion. It takes idealistic adolescent love and makes it grow up. I don't think young people (including me) can fully grasp everything this album relates to, but it sure is fine music.
no wonder i can't connect with it lol..maybe in 15 more years or something.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »

There's more to music than lyrics. The words are a tiny part. Friends is full of wonderful, musical moments. I always found it very sonically similar to SMiLE, beyond the obvious.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2012, 12:05:47 PM »

sorry, there's no way I'm gonna defend 'Friends'!  It's simply an essential '60s record.  Listen to it on the first Sunday morning of the spring.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2012, 12:20:37 PM »

sorry, there's no way I'm gonna defend 'Friends'!  It's simply an essential '60s record.  Listen to it on the first Sunday morning of the spring.
I'm listening to it now :] the songs that leave me stuck are "Friends/Be Here in the Morning/Transcendental Meditation" ...They just don't do it for me musically...I gave them so many changes but no. :[
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:44:09 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »

seriously i don't see the big deal with friends..

The best way for me to describe 'Friends' would be: if the early Beach Boys albums are like cruising down the boulevard in a cool car on a hot Summer day while you're checking out beautiful young women in bikinis, then 'Friends' is like chilling out in your back yard on a warm Summer evening with the woman you love and a cold beer.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 09, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »

The best way for me to describe 'Friends' would be: if the early Beach Boys albums are like cruising down the boulevard in a cool car on a hot Summer day while you're checking out beautiful young women in bikinis, then 'Friends' is like chilling out in your back yard on a warm Summer evening with the woman you love and a cold beer.
Or out sailing on The Harmony.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 09, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »

Rock! both of the above posts.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 09, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »

i like that Smiley what about wild honey?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 10, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »

Wild Honey is munching p*ssy...as I'm sure you are aware really  Afro

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 10, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »

Surfer Girl.
All Summer Long.
Concert.
Today.
Summer Days.
Pet Sounds.
SMILE.
Wild Honey.
20/20.
Sunflower.
Surfs Up.
Holland.
Love You.
LA Album.
Still Crusin .
In concert.
93 box set.
Live In London
And ive listened to every BB album in order AS THEY CAME OUT... Been a life long BB fan + i can allways find good stuff to listen to on any album.. .. To each their own.. I dont connect well with Friends like most people on here do..I suppose growin up in that time period there was so much better stuff to listen to.!...I dont think ive ever played that LP for anyone in my life..!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx