gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 12:08:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Sad About BB's Career After "Smile" Incident :'[  (Read 38102 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2012, 09:14:57 AM »

Please read what I posted again, and this time with some comprehension. There is considerable difference between pulling out an old album or two every now and then, and listening to the entire canon 1961-1996, in sequence over a concentrated period of time, in my case roughly five/six weeks. It gives you an unparalleled sense of ebb and flow, of the shift of the artistic focus, and that's something I'd not experienced before. Try it - listen to a BB album every evening, in release order.

As for this - "A lot of the work, when listened to by a woman, takes on a different meaning" - I can only apologise for being born a man and therefore utterly unable to appreciate this facet of the band's creativity. Hopefully it doesn't invalidate everything I've written to date.

"We discussed the music as sometimes, (as an observation and not a criticism) being almost as written to a "woman/lover" or from a completely male perspective." How odd. This has never occurred to me before, even given that the band is formed entirely of male artists. I'll never hear "Girls On The Beach" or "Help Me, Rhonda" in quite the same way again, armed with the knowledge that they were written to a woman from a male point of view. Quite a revelation. I shall have to lie down for quite a long time.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2012, 09:47:13 AM »

Please read what I posted again, and this time with some comprehension. There is considerable difference between pulling out an old album or two every now and then, and listening to the entire canon 1961-1996, in sequence over a concentrated period of time, in my case roughly five/six weeks. It gives you an unparalleled sense of ebb and flow, of the shift of the artistic focus, and that's something I'd not experienced before. Try it - listen to a BB album every evening, in release order.

As for this - "A lot of the work, when listened to by a woman, takes on a different meaning" - I can only apologise for being born a man and therefore utterly unable to appreciate this facet of the band's creativity. Hopefully it doesn't invalidate everything I've written to date.

"We discussed the music as sometimes, (as an observation and not a criticism) being almost as written to a "woman/lover" or from a completely male perspective." How odd. This has never occurred to me before, even given that the band is formed entirely of male artists. I'll never hear "Girls On The Beach" or "Help Me, Rhonda" in quite the same way again, armed with the knowledge that they were written to a woman from a male point of view. Quite a revelation. I shall have to lie down for quite a long time.

Andrew, we can disagree without being disagreeable.  Often, as anyone can judge from the audience demographic, the work is perceived as being "guys' music."

Don't apologize for being male.  That was not the point of the comment.  I said it was "underrepresented.". There is a difference. And awareness raising of colonialism, in that era, pre-apartheid changes, was certainly a teachable opportunity. 

I'm not sure anyone but the artists can describe growth, and that might place you in a position of making a value judgment.  But, I can venture my viewpoint that I feel they did grow post-Smile. 

It would be more difficult for me to go back retrospectively, and assess growth, from 1959 to say, 1964, when, I was not old enough to fit the music into a context.  The musicians brought that set of experiences to the creative table, as it were.

And there was some discussion of Brian singing Gershwin from the woman's perspective... It is not so much the male/female point of view, so much as  certain songs evoke a connotation of either male or female...that is another ball of wax...the universality...

Your exercise of the progressive album study would make a great topic for a dissertation. 

Growth, I cannot agree. 
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »

What this thread tells me is that among the BB-fanbase the albums Smiley smile through Holland are overrated and put on a pedestal. Listen the only post PS album that lives up to their legacy is Sunflower IMHO. I listen to Summer days, Party, All summer long and it's a worlds apart from Wild honey, Holland and Friends.
thanks for being honest about this ..you're one of the few that kept it "real". instead of bullshit and make it seem like surf's up/holland is their magnum opus lol
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »

Hey Newguy,

it seems you are unaware of this word, what it means, and how your blatant misunderstanding of it makes you look like a skull of Dick Reising Touche, word filter  LOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion

Happy reading!

The Smiley Smile Messageboard
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:13:30 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2012, 10:17:54 AM »

Hey Newguy,

it seems you are unaware of this word, what it means, and how your blatant misunderstanding of it makes you look like a skull of Dick Reising Touche, word filter  LOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion

Happy reading!

The Smiley Smile Messageboard
Take a bow Hypehat, you torched Newguy. Thumbs Up

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2012, 10:20:38 AM »

What this thread tells me is that among the BB-fanbase the albums Smiley smile through Holland are overrated and put on a pedestal. Listen the only post PS album that lives up to their legacy is Sunflower IMHO. I listen to Summer days, Party, All summer long and it's a worlds apart from Wild honey, Holland and Friends.
thanks for being honest about this ..you're one of the few that kept it "real". instead of bullsh*t and make it seem like surf's up/holland is their magnum opus lol

Surf's Up is my favourite Beach Boys album. And Holland is my joint favourite second along with Sunflower. No bullshit here.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Paulos
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2012, 10:22:50 AM »

thanks for being honest about this ..you're one of the few that kept it "real". instead of bullsh*t and make it seem like surf's up/holland is their magnum opus lol

Yes, you're being backed up by a guy who has been a Beach Boys fan for about 4 months and who claimed that 'young people' weren't buying The Smile Session because it was in mono, good back up you've got there. You really can't comprehend that people might prefer Holland and Surf's Up to Pet Sounds can you? LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2012, 10:23:59 AM »

What are you talking about?, EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OWN OPINION. LAUGH OUT LOUD AT NEWGUY.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:35:10 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »

I've been a fan of the beach boys since 2010 and i'mma keep it true and be honest about their body of work..
some of you are blinded by fanaticism...i'm a huge beatles fan but that doesnt mean i'm gonna bullsh*t you guys and say yellow submarine is one of  the best they did. taste is taste but you guys aren't being realistic ...it's sickening..so go ahead and torch me at least i'm not in denial and making sh*t up...now for those who say surf's up/holland is their favorite album that's ok we all have our own favorite beach boys album that's normal and all power to you my fellow bb fans.
i guess it's cool on here to go against pet sounds and make it seem like their un-popular work is really under-rated and better than what we all know is the pinnacle of their career/creativity(pet sounds,smile)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:31:57 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »

I've been a fan of the beach boys since 2010

Well I've been a Beach Boys fan for 11 minutes and I say you're full of crap
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »

bravo hypehat LOL
______

Ugh. I'm apparently full of sh*t for thinking Friends is one of their best albums. Wall

Can we please ban the troll? Let's keep age out of this for a minute: If any of us got on here telling people that they were full of sh*t, telling people to "chill the f*** out", telling people they were all in denial post after post (Cohen got banned for just that) we would've been banned faster than Ghost on a Queen forum.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2012, 10:38:53 AM »

I've been a fan of the beach boys since 2010

Well I've been a Beach Boys fan for 11 minutes and I say you're full of crap
It's ok if i'm attacked by a group of you..i know i'm not the crazy one here..there is only two others who commented those post that seemed sane. the rest of you are obsessed with a group that lost their creatively as they became older and their career went on. they had a few gems but the albums as a whole didn't match up to Today,Pet Sounds,Smile (Wild Honey and Sunflower are solid efforts though.)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2012, 10:40:28 AM »

bravo hypehat LOL
______

Ugh. I'm apparently full of sh*t for thinking Friends is one of their best albums. Wall

Can we please ban the troll? Let's keep age out of this for a minute: If any of us got on here telling people that they were full of sh*t, telling people to "chill the f*ck out", telling people they were all in denial post after post (Cohen got banned for just that) we would've been banned faster than Ghost on a Queen forum.
ok ban me then for being obnoxious i've learned quite a few things being on here, as a new & young fan it's been a great experience..
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »

bravo hypehat LOL
______

Can we please ban the troll? Let's keep age out of this for a minute: If any of us got on here telling people that they were full of sh*t, telling people to "chill the f*ck out", telling people they were all in denial post after post (Cohen got banned for just that) we would've been banned faster than Ghost on a Queen forum.
ok ban me then for being obnoxious i've learned quite a few things being on here, as a new & young fan it's been a great experience..

Please oblige this guy.  So sad about Newguy's career after "please upload belles of paris to youtube for me waaah"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »

I've been a fan of the beach boys since 2010 and i'mma keep it true and be honest about their body of work..
some of you are blinded by fanaticism...i'm a huge beatles fan but that doesnt mean i'm gonna bullsh*t you guys and say yellow submarine is one of  the best they did. taste is taste but you guys aren't being realistic ...it's sickening..so go ahead and torch me at least i'm not in denial and making sh*t up...now for those who say surf's up/holland is their favorite album that's ok we all have our own favorite beach boys album that's normal and all power to you my fellow bb fans.
i guess it's cool on here to go against pet sounds and make it seem like their un-popular work is really under-rated and better than what we all know is the pinnacle of their career/creativity(pet sounds,smile)
As I have said, I've been a fan since 1963 and I don't consider Pet Sounds to be their best album. That is just my taste. I consider Today to be their best album followed by Sunflower, All Summer Long, Love You and then for me, Pet Sounds. Notice, I don't even include Smile in my top five. Pound for pound, you cannot beat Brian's or the Boys' work from 63-66, but people grow up in different times and different conditions and it impacts what they like in music. I say "f*ck It", like it all. No matter the era, there is a lot to like.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:45:02 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »

After reading this latest page I think we all know that Knewguy is just on the wind up... boarderline trolling... and yes, 15 years old (was 14).
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2012, 10:44:39 AM »

Pound for pound, you cannot beat Brian's or the Boys' work from 63-66, but people grow up in different times and different conditions and it impacts what they like in music. I say "f*ck It", like it all. No matter the era, ther is a lot to like.
I Agree Smiley ..
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »

Newguy,all we're asking for is for you to respect other people's opinions, even if you disagree with them. No-one here is acting like they are full of sh*t except you.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »

You guys are gonna crucify me lol
SBonilla
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »

You guys are gonna crucify me lol

Hang in there.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2012, 10:46:20 AM »

Newguy,all we're asking for is for you to respect other people's opinions, even if you disagree with them. No-one here is acting like they are full of sh*t except you.

ok i can do that Smiley ..i've learned so much from you guys...i'm not trynna fight/argue with any of you thought it might seem that way.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »

ok i can do that Smiley ..i've learned so much from you guys...i'm not trynna fight/argue with any of you thought it might seem that way.

"chill the f*** out"- Newguy 562

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »

Something to please bear in mind. There is no right or wrong answer as to what is your favourite Beach Boys album.

Unless you reply Summer In Paradise. In which case you are either having a wind up at the expense of others, deaf, insane, devoid of any music taste whatsoever...... or happen to be called Mike Love.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »

Andrew, we can disagree without being disagreeable. 

Then don't post something as condescending as that was (and I know condescending).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »

Something to please bear in mind. There is no right or wrong answer as to what is your favourite Beach Boys album.

Unless you reply Summer In Paradise. In which case you are either having a wind up at the expense of others, deaf, insane, devoid of any music taste whatsoever...... or happen to be called Mike Love.

Yes it's completely subjective Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx