gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680774 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:40:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Association  (Read 8749 times)
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »

Their albums And Then Along Comes the Association, Renaissance and Birthday are quite good, and of course their hit songs "Cherish," "Along Comes Mary," "Never My Love" and "Windy" are all-time classics. I recently discovered their work and am now a big fan. Does anybody else like them?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:51:44 PM by clinikillz » Logged
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »

I have only ever heard Never My Love. And I only got it cuz itunes recommended I do so. I love that song. Very sixties. Very almost Kinksy. I haven't ever gotten around to listening to anything else. Tho i just might now that you brought it up.
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »

Their albums "And Then Along Comes the Association" and "Birthday" are quite good, and of course their hit songs (Windy, Never My Love and Cherish) are all-time classics. I recently discovered their work and am now a big fan. Does anybody else like them?
Love "...And Then Along Comes the Association" and "Insight Out." Haven't listened to Birthday, though. How's that?
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »

Their albums "And Then Along Comes the Association" and "Birthday" are quite good, and of course their hit songs (Windy, Never My Love and Cherish) are all-time classics. I recently discovered their work and am now a big fan. Does anybody else like them?

Insight Out and The Association are also really good.  I like them a lot.

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 05:55:28 PM »

How have you gotten this far in life without hearing "Windy" ? 

They're a great band, they're kind of under the radar a bit like the Buckinghams were.  Or Johnny Rivers was.  Great musicans that had big hits but are largely forgotten today, even though the music is very similar to other bands that are worshipped by rock fans.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »

Love "...And Then Along Comes the Association" and "Insight Out." Haven't listened to Birthday, though. How's that?

"Birthday" is, in my opinion, their most consistent work. There is not one stinker on the entire album. The highlight for me is the love ballad "Everything That Touches You" which was the group's last hit in the U.S. (#10). I definitely recommend it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:19:29 PM by clinikillz » Logged
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:25:10 AM »

"Birthday" is, in my opinion, their most consistent work. There is not one stinker on the entire album. The highlight for me is the love ballad "Everything That Touches You" which was the group's last hit in the U.S. (#10). I definitely recommend it.
I know this is a little old now but I got a copy of "Birthday" and it's fantastic-- probably my favorite work by The Association now. Good call!
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »

Love 'em all ! From the debut release through to "Waterbeds In Trinidad" - all have their moments of pure magic and you really hear them start to mature from the 1968 album (Stonehenge cover) onwards. Sadly, as with a lot of great bands, there comes a time when perhaps enough is enough and the reunion releases ("New Memories", "A Little Bit More" and "Vintage") are best forgotten about - but check out the 1970 double live album for a great selection ...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:43:37 PM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »

i always thought they were from london by their accents when they sung but they were really from california  Huh
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:34:46 PM »

I've only got the greatest hits, but, DAMN, are those some good songs!! Cool

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 08:17:42 PM »

Is anyone else a fan? These guys could harmonize!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 08:54:51 PM »

Happiness Is  and Time For Livin' are Sunshine Pop at it's best. I saw them once on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City.

Happiness Is:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GAw2PBAuJw

Time For Livin':   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlq7FXj830E

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 09:22:06 AM »

I didnt think much of them aside from their early hits until I heard "Requiem for the Masses" from the Smother Brothers show.

Got the Insight Out LP and was blown away, not sure why but the WB Gold label issue sounds better to me than the later WB/7Arts pressings. Amazing sonics on this record.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 10:08:11 AM »

The Association were an awesome group! Great harmonies and songs!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »

Glad to see other fellow "Association" fans here. I was just listening to "Come On In" from Birthday and I don't think I've ever heard anything so joyful and glorious. Great band, awesome harmonies and fantastic hits.  Lots of wrecking crew members played on their records also. Anyone want to form a sunshine pop band with me? I'm inspired lol

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »

Glad to see other fellow "Association" fans here. I was just listening to "Come On In" from Birthday and I don't think I've ever heard anything so joyful and glorious. Great band, awesome harmonies and fantastic hits.  Lots of wrecking crew members played on their records also. Anyone want to form a sunshine pop band with me? I'm inspired lol
As much as I love sunshine pop, my musical abilities (or lack thereof) put me more in Ramones/Sex Pistols territory rather than Association/Sagittarius/Millennium-esque sophistication.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 09:09:29 PM »

I was just listening to "Come On In" from Birthday and I don't think I've ever heard anything so joyful and glorious.
I'm only aware of their hits & "Pandora's Golden Heebie Jeebie", so I went to check "Come On In" based on your description. I don't share your opinion, to me it was a tad monotonous, the main riff isn't joyful, it's groovy rather. I have lots of songs in my Winamp which I would categorize like joyful &/or glorious. F.ex., "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies or Kirsty MacColl's "There's A Guy Works down the Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis". Our own The BBs have a great deal of upbeat numbers.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 02:25:35 AM »

I was just listening to "Come On In" from Birthday and I don't think I've ever heard anything so joyful and glorious.
I'm only aware of their hits & "Pandora's Golden Heebie Jeebie", so I went to check "Come On In" based on your description. I don't share your opinion, to me it was a tad monotonous, the main riff isn't joyful, it's groovy rather. I have lots of songs in my Winamp which I would categorize like joyful &/or glorious. F.ex., "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies or Kirsty MacColl's "There's A Guy Works down the Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis". Our own The BBs have a great deal of upbeat numbers.
I love "PGHJ". Mind-bending stuff. (I'm not familiar with the albums.) But the one that takes the cake for me is "Along Comes Mary". which i respectfully dedicate to a recent arrived member.  And of course there's a Beach Boys connection, its author being the late Tandyn Almer of "Sail On, Salior" co-writing fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-hmOoBJFC0

Interesting to see "Sugar Sugar" in your playlist, RRA1. The best bubblegum song ever, in my jaded opinion. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 07:30:36 AM »

But the one that takes the cake for me is "Along Comes Mary". which i respectfully dedicate to a recent arrived member.  And of course there's a Beach Boys connection, its author being the late Tandyn Almer of "Sail On, Salior" co-writing fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-hmOoBJFC0

Interesting to see "Sugar Sugar" in your playlist, RRA1. The best bubblegum song ever, in my jaded opinion. 
"Along Comes Mary" is terrific, but esp. done live in Monterey (I generally like the Monterey festival setlist, it's held better than in Woodstock). Speaking of Tandyn, I read somewhere here that his old album got remastering or sth. the other year, including his own version of self-made classic. Would like to hear it.

I'm a fan of "Stars on 45", all started with the Beatles Medley (surely, you heard it), so that's how I found out "Sugar Sugar". It's in their "Long Play Album", at 4:15 mark. Short snippet, but I liked the melody, went to seek the Archies' version & it's been one of my faves ever since.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »

Come On In ...yes it is a "groovy riff". But it is a fantastic great album opener and the harmonies are out of sight! Mononotous? Hmmm...each their own as they say...

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 11:34:50 AM »

"Cherish" is an excellent song by them.  nice to listen to when everything's peaceful  Smiley

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 12:52:01 PM »

You gotta try listening to the later albums like "Waterbeds in Trinidad" and "Stop Your Motors", and whilst perhaps not quite in the BB league, when you compare these to their earlier albums its like having "All Summer Long" playing next to "Holland'. Different era, different 'feel', same band at heart...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »

I listened to Renaissance recently, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Curt Boettcher's production style is absent as he was dropped by the band after their first album. Still, it sounds good and has a psych flavor to it.  The most popular songs on it are "Looking Glass" and "No Time at All", but my two personal favorites are "Angeline" and "Pandora's Golden Heebie Jeebies". If you're an Association fan and haven't heard Renaissance, I recommend you give it a shot.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:07:09 PM by clinikillz » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »

By the way, Association member Larry Ramos passed away yesterday from cancer, after several years of illness & heart problems. He was 72, and gave his farewell performance in February. At the same show, Russ Giguere announced his retirement.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 07:03:21 PM »

My dad was a huuuge faan, and I pretty much love their Greatest Hits. Also, "Goodbye Columbus" is a terrific song. Hear it.

I find their sound a tad dated, and i think Requiem for the Masses is a pandering and overblown, but I'm overall a fan.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx