gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:01:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Favorite Era For These Groups..  (Read 3719 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »

The Kinks
The Beach Boys
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Pink Floyd
(I know, I know I always mention these groups...WELL IT'S BECAUSE I f*ckIN LOVE THEM!!!)

Mines:

The Kinks (Face to Face - Arthur...They have that strong british sound that i adore.)

The Beach Boys (I started loving their sound from Today - Smile)

The Beatles (Rubber Soul -  Magical Mystery Tour)

The Rolling Stones (Aftermath - Their Satanic Majesties Request)

The Who (My Generation - The Who Sell Out)

Pink Floyd (Meddle - Animals)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:23:32 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:20:03 PM »

The Kinks - ( Face To Face - Lola)

The Beach Boys - (Today - Holland)

The Beatles - (Rubber Soul - Abbey Road)

The Rolling Stones - (Aftermath - Goats Head Soup)

The Who - (Sell Out - Quadrophenia)

Pink Floyd - (Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - The Division Bell)  Grin
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »

The Kinks - ( Face To Face - Lola)

The Beach Boys - (Today - Holland)

The Beatles - (Rubber Soul - Abbey Road)

The Rolling Stones - (Aftermath - Goats Head Soup)

The Who - (Sell Out - Quadrophenia)

Pink Floyd - (Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - The Division Bell)  Grin
:] you're a big pink floyd fan huh?
holland? i love the beach boys i just wonder what's so amazing about that album besides 3 ok songs(sail on sailor,steamboat & funky pretty) and cool looking cover art lol
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:34:27 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »

The Kinks
The Beach Boys
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Pink Floyd

The Kinks - 1965-1970 (Face to Face thru Lola)
The Beach Boys - 1963-1973, 1977 (Surfer Girl thru Holland, Love You)
The Beatles - um well lets see... 1962-1969 (Please Please Me thru Abbey Road)
The Rolling Stones - 1965-1972 (Out Of Our Heads thru Exile On Main Street)
The Who - 1965-1981 (Can't Explain/My Generation thru Face Dances)
Pink Floyd - 1970-1979 (Atom Heart Mother thru The Wall)

Newguy, you've literally listed my top 5 minus Bob Dylan, with the Rolling Stones in there (which i love too). That's why I basically put their whole careers.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:37:08 AM by LittleBird » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:29:21 AM »

The Kinks -I only know the singles, so I can't really answer that one.
The Beach Boys-The very beginning through Love You+ LA Light (and I'm a sucker for BB85, even though it has little artistic legitimacy save for Where I Belong.)
The Beatles-Moptop era
The Rolling Stones-Everything up through Satanic Majesties. From Beggars Banquet onward they kept making the same album over and over again. They lost it after Brian Jones died.
The Who-My Generation through The Who Sell Out. Love the fake radio jingles!
Pink Floyd-Piper, and only Piper, with an occasional trip to the Dark Side once every 6 months or so. I think I love Piper so much because it's the complete opposite of the FM/AOR/Prog Rock sound that Waters and Gilmour had pretty much mastered in the 70s.
I think both Floyd and the Who got too hung up on "concepts" and forgot to just write some good songs that aren't beholden to a certain story/mood/theme/whatever.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:37:36 AM »

The Kinks
The Beach Boys
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Pink Floyd

Newguy, you've literally listed my top 5 minus Bob Dylan, with the Rolling Stones in there (which i love too). That's why I basically put their whole careers.
you sir have really good taste i'm glad there are ppl on here that love the same bands i do Smiley
my father always try to get me into bob dylan :[ i can't get past his voice it's excruciating to me :[...
what is it about his music that draws in so many people?
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »

The Kinks
The Beach Boys
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Pink Floyd

you sir have really good taste i'm glad there are ppl on here that love the same bands i do Smiley
my father always try to get me into bob dylan :[ i can't get past his voice it's excruciating to me :[...
what is it about his music that draws in so many people?

That was what my dad said about Bob Dylan. He never liked him cuz he couldn't really sing. He was a singer back in his teenage years and so preferred to listen to the better singers. He actually recently showed me a bunch of stuff he liked and I was really surprised that I had hardly heard of any of them, cuz that was apparently the #1 hits of the late seventies. It was artists like Dan Fogelberg, Neil Sedaka, Bread, and Peter, Paul and Mary. All excellent singers. But i couldn't get past the fact that all their songs were very very forgettable. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me I guess Dylan always had such a profundity about him. He seemed very interesting. Of course everyone points to his lyrics as his strong point. But i think the emotion that he sung (or spoke or whatever) with was really what drew me too him. In his song A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall the way he sings those lyrics nearly scare the living hell out of you. Just listen to it. And then with Just Like a Woman there's a deep sympathy for the woman he's speaking of. It really plays on the emotions. That why he's probably my favorite artist after the Beach Boys. He seems so natural and real. Its pretty fantastic to me. And i guess while I'm talking about him I'll tell you that my favorite period from him (to keep it minimal) is from 1965-1969 which is the albums from Bringing It All Back Home thru Nashville Skyline. But i'd also recommend "The Freewheelin Bob Dylan". That was his masterpiece of folk music. Its great  Smiley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »

@Newguy,

If you haven't heard it already, definitely take a listen to the album 'Bringing It All Back Home'

Also, I highly recommend the movie 'Don't Look Back' and 'No Direction Home' to get a better understanding of Bob Dylan.

PS, I guarantee you that without Bob Dylan there would be no Sgt. Pepper, Revolver, White Album, Rubber Soul as we know them. Dylan turned The Beatles onto marijuana, and marijuana helped shape the road the Beatles traveled down (much like it took Brian Wilson's songwriting to another level). Dylan also influenced the lyrical writing of The Beatles. Timothy White does a great job connecting the influences of The Beach Boys, Byrds, Bob Dylan, Beatles in his book 'The Nearest Faraway Place'.

I still don't get why people find his voice grating (but I respect your opinion), regardless, his lyrics, the music itself, and Dylan's effect on music since is nothing matched by any single artist since.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »

Newguy, what's with the incessant need to classify everything?  Just enjoy the music man, you don't have to sort everything out in your mind into eras and years and this is better than this, but this is better than this, and this would have been better if they had done this, etc. 

Sometimes you need to just relax and enjoy the music. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:07:22 AM »

The Kinks - Kinks to Muswell Hilbillies

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds to Holland

The Beatles - Rubber Soul to Abbey Road

The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones to Their Satanic Majesties Request

The Who - My Generation to Who's Next

Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn to A Saucerful Of Secrets
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 07:04:23 AM »

THE KINKS: Reprise Era
BEACH BOYS: 1965-1970
BEATLES: psychedelic era
THE ROLLING STONES: 1966-1969
THE WHO: late 60's
PINK FLOYD: SYD BARRETT

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 07:07:25 AM »

Newguy, what's with the incessant need to classify everything?  Just enjoy the music man, you don't have to sort everything out in your mind into eras and years and this is better than this, but this is better than this, and this would have been better if they had done this, etc. 

Sometimes you need to just relax and enjoy the music. 

Who's not 'relaxing'? I personally enjoy questions like this and I'm glad Newguy asked it.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 10:35:53 PM »

Also, I highly recommend the movie 'Don't Look Back' and 'No Direction Home' to get a better understanding of Bob Dylan.

PS, I guarantee you that without Bob Dylan there would be no Sgt. Pepper, Revolver, White Album, Rubber Soul as we know them. Dylan turned The Beatles onto marijuana, and marijuana helped shape the road the Beatles traveled down (much like it took Brian Wilson's songwriting to another level). Dylan also influenced the lyrical writing of The Beatles. Timothy White does a great job connecting the influences of The Beach Boys, Byrds, Bob Dylan, Beatles in his book 'The Nearest Faraway Place'.

I still don't get why people find his voice grating (but I respect your opinion), regardless, his lyrics, the music itself, and Dylan's effect on music since is nothing matched by any single artist since.
In turn, I don't get why you need to upgrade Dylan in hopes to convert the non-fans to his singing/songwriting. He's not the be-all, end-all of his era, there are lots of possible better songs & artists to explore. All musicians in a circular way get influence from each other - so what? Does it mean we should thank them for that & always repeat how an album X would be no way creative w/o an artist Z? And believe me, there are lots of people that find his voice "grating", so at this point no one should be surprised by it. Still, I respect your opinion too. Will check those movies, you never know, I might turn up once a big Dylan fan.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 12:25:08 AM »

Online music reviewer George Starostin once said that if you don't like Dylan you don't know what music is all about. Now, I usually don't like these ignorant, pseudo-objective grand statements, but when it comes to Dylan I just gotta agree. The influence he had on music as well as on me as a person and as a music listener is something I can't speak highly enough of. There's just so many aspects I love about his music, about every different era...he's one of those "discover more with each new listen" type of artists. I respect the opinions of the members of this board, but to say that his voice is grating, or to say that you don't like any of his stuff, that's just something I don't understand. I can accept it, because it's your ears and I can't do anything about that, but I'll never truly understand it. I'm sure many feel the same about some artists, Beach Boys in particular.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 04:19:44 PM »

The Kinks: first album - State Of Confusion
Beach Boys: 1962 - 2012 (LOVE it all)
Beatles: ALL of it.
Rolling Stones: Out Of Our Heads - Undercover
The Who: My Generation - Who Are You
Pink Floyd: Piper - Animals

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:57:17 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »

Kinks - up to Lola
Beach Boys - roughly 64-73
Beatles - all
Rolling Stones - 66-72
The Who - not that big a fan, though I like 65 - Who's Next
Pink Floyd - not a fan

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »

Kinks - 64 - 72 (I swear that on some days Muswell and Show-Biz are my favourite things they've ever done)
Beach Boys - 63 - 73
Beatles - all except maybe the Let It Be album (which still has some essential stuff on it)
Rolling Stones - haven't heard enough
Who - 65 - 75
Pink Floyd - I think all albums until Waters left are more or less amazing
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 10:37:46 PM »

Online music reviewer George Starostin once said that if you don't like Dylan you don't know what music is all about. Now, I usually don't like these ignorant, pseudo-objective grand statements, but when it comes to Dylan I just gotta agree. The influence he had on music as well as on me as a person and as a music listener is something I can't speak highly enough of. [...] 

I don't agree with the most of his reviews & as you, I could take or leave these objective statements *major air-quoting*. The one regarding Dylan is the worst example of it.

There's just so many aspects I love about his music, about every different era...he's one of those "discover more with each new listen" type of artists.
Really? Does it mean he had a go at jazz? Show me sth. unconventional & atypical for his style. I'll give it a listen.

I can accept it, because it's your ears and I can't do anything about that
That's the valid point. We shall agree to disagree (so far).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 09:21:58 AM »

Kinks -- not a big fan, but I generally prefer their early stuff.

Beach Boys -- 1965 to 1973.

Beatles -- love their entire career span (including the days when they were called The Quarrymen), but my favorite is 1965-1967.

Rolling Stones -- I'd have to say the good, raw old-school stuff they did after the Beatles broke up

The Who -- Generally when Keith was alive all the music was fantastic, but definitely 1967-1971.

Pink Floyd -- said it before, will continue to say it...once Syd Barrett was booted out, the music got suckily bleak. So, for me it's....The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and its related singles.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx