gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:22:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling !New Music! Thread  (Read 10007 times)
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 01:50:12 AM »

New Sleigh Bells is an interesting, very warped take on 80's hair metal it seems. Not exactly consistently great throughout the record (neither was their first), but "Comeback Kid" will easily be one of my favorite songs of the year.

Stuff I really have dug so far....

School of Seven Bells - Ghostory: Pop oriented, semi-electronic music with ethereal vocals. Their past work was great, but this new album blows that out of the water. Already a front-runner for my Album of the Year.

Frankie Rose - Interstellar: Phenomenal songwriting with a sense of ambiance like no other. Feels like you're confined while able to see for miles out in front of you. A rather fitting album title. Some of the absolute best tracks from the year are on this record and it's so unique that I know people will still get a kick out of this twenty years from now.

John Talabot - fin: An electronic album that is so damn layered that I'll be picking out new things from it for months.

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory: Really seems like a spiritual successor to Nirvana's Nevermind. Songs that will pummel you right in the gut with their lyrical depth (or at least meaningfulness) but go down easy thanks to just enough hooks.

Sharon Van Etten - Tramp: A lot going on here. A notable talent finally coming into her own. It's so damn bold all the way through, sounding like somebody who is completely confident in their songwriting abilities.

Lambchop - Mr. M: Warped, lengthy folk. Kind of reminds me of Bill Callahan but with a little more warmth despite being weirder.

Porcelain Raft - Strange Weekend: A very catchy record that's as much about lush, aural soundscapes as it is a lesson in pop song structure.

Lilacs & Champagne: Very similar to Quiet Village (as if anybody knows who that is or even should. Great band though.) Just a lot of sh*t happening and very fun to try and figure out what each song is all about. Literally a different genre at every track and one of the trippiest albums I've heard in awhile.

Lana Del Rey - Born To Die: It's rare that pop music manages to put together some breathtaking hooks like those on some of the songs on this record.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 06:10:22 AM »

I am going to check out that Lambchop album later, they're one band that I always get reminded of, and then suddenly I love them, until I forget about them again. Damaged is my favourite.

Kokono, you seriously like that Lana Del Rey album? I thought it was junk. And I wasn't a hater until I heard the record, I loved Video Games.

New Spiritualized song dropped yesterday. Very weird juxtaposition between a massive sound but recorded at home and intimate vocals. Also sounds better played as loud as humanely possible. So my flatmates love it  LOL http://soundcloud.com/spiritualized/hey-jane-eq-15feb-1

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:16 AM »

So if you appreciate sh*t that is noisy and free and f*cking cool and played by dope musicians and sounds like a Spanish NEU! then download this

http://luger.bandcamp.com/

Also, this Suckers song is very cool and I think a bunch of us would like it

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/13280-turn-on-the-sunshine/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:08:06 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »

Three posts in a row, but the new Lil B mixtape God's Father a) has the most fucking ridiculous cover I've seen this year (he quotes himself!) b) is a smidge under two hours long and c) is pretty good so far! I didn't like his last one White Flame (a bit too aggressive so it got weary) but this strikes a better vibe. That said, dude appears to be so prolific that actually talking about his mixtapes seems a waste of time  LOL

I don't know enough about modern rap besides Lil B, but I guess here is the last place to start a thread about it - I mean, no-one posted in my Gil Scott Heron RIP thread, yet we're arguing about The Monkees all over the forum because Davy Jones died. Sigh.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 09:49:07 AM »

Three posts in a row, but the new Lil B mixtape God's Father a) has the most f*cking ridiculous cover I've seen this year (he quotes himself!) b) is a smidge under two hours long and c) is pretty good so far! I didn't like his last one White Flame (a bit too aggressive so it got weary) but this strikes a better vibe. That said, dude appears to be so prolific that actually talking about his mixtapes seems a waste of time  LOL

I don't know enough about modern rap besides Lil B, but I guess here is the last place to start a thread about it - I mean, no-one posted in my Gil Scott Heron RIP thread, yet we're arguing about The Monkees all over the forum because Davy Jones died. Sigh.
Best lil b song  Grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r4fD5twB2g

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »

Bought and listening to new Magnetic Fields album, Love at the Bottom of the Sea. S. Merritt is a guy who I think has really had some high, high peaks, but the bulk of the past few albums have had more "more of the same" than interesting stuff for me. I'm liking this upon first listen.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »

Kishi Bashi. Actually a 2011 EP, but pretty darn new (and two of the songs are on the next-month LP release). he has played as a violinist/singer with Regina Spektor, Of Montreal, and Sondre Leche. As that might hint, there are diverse elements to this very-much-pop music. Check it out.

Bright Whites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wcZb80f5VE

Evalyn, Summer Has Arrived
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0TSUhOesd8&feature=related

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »

Bought and listening to new Magnetic Fields album, Love at the Bottom of the Sea. S. Merritt is a guy who I think has really had some high, high peaks, but the bulk of the past few albums have had more "more of the same" than interesting stuff for me. I'm liking this upon first listen.

I've seen decidedly average reviews for it. I wonder about Stephin Merrit. Maybe his aspirations as a craftsman leave people cold, but I respect that.

That said, Andrew In Drag didn't drive me wild - but I'll give the album a shot, thanks for reminding me.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 07:55:25 PM »

I wish I was in this band, what a great song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxykGNwID4

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:04 PM »

The new Shins album, Port of Morrow. I've got a love/hate relationship with the Shins. I think J. Mercer is a very talented songwriter and I like his voice, but I also think he has been increasingly a twiddler and fiddler, draining life from his recordings. I do prefer this album to the previous Shins album, though.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2012, 05:43:19 PM »

The new Shins album, Port of Morrow. I've got a love/hate relationship with the Shins. I think J. Mercer is a very talented songwriter and I like his voice, but I also think he has been increasingly a twiddler and fiddler, draining life from his recordings. I do prefer this album to the previous Shins album, though.
Mercer is a damn fine musician (and Beach Boys fan!), but I've had the impression that he's kind of a douchebag for a while now.. don't know, maybe I'm wrong. And of course I don't have to like musicians in order to enjoy their work. Regarding the Shins: new album is largely lifeless straightforward poppy stuff for a broader audience (a trend he began with the Broken Bells side project) whereas the old Shins albums were quirky, well produced, had a cool 60s vibe and were plain exciting. I will forever treasure those first three LPs - the new one though, after three spins now, doesn't do that much for me. It's not the same Shins, anyway (regarding personnel).

Chutes Too Narrow > Wincing The Night Away > Oh, Inverted World > Broken Bells > Port Of Morrow
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about whether he's a dick. And frankly I don't miss his former bandmates much, either: the songs were always all his, and when I saw them live on the Chutes tour, I recall thinking they weren't actually all that good a band. I think his approach of going with hired hands (and making no bones about it) is probably the right one for him. That said, I think the word lifeless is the right one. (Not that I think going for a 60s vibe is the answer either. The last thing this world needs is more people trying to achieve something that's already decades-since been done.)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »

Got the new Jack White album. Never actually was a White Stripes fan, but have come to like and respect him slowly over the years, enough that I thought this was worth the purchase. And after listening, it is.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 10:12:26 AM »

Picked up the new Rufus Wainwright. Much like my previous post with Jack White, I haven't been much of a fan of Wainwright's up to now. But I heard the single on the radio (and loved it) and after previewing the tracks, figured a guy could spend $12 worse. I am liking a lot of it, though sometimes I still find his voice a little much to take.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 03:13:32 PM »

I have fallen somewhat behind with all this, although did spin the Willis Earl Beal album a few times (it has a stupid name I can't remember), and some album made of country samples by a dude called Daugh Gibson which really intrigued me. I need to find  some time in the next few weeks to listen to them properly.

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2012, 01:20:30 AM »

My favorite album of the summer is easily Father John Misty's 'Fear Fun'. He's the ex drummer of Fleet Foxes/has released several albums under the name J. Tillman, but I think this album is better than their last and much more adventurous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-XraF8tZM4 - full album stream
If you haven't heard any of his stuff, I suggest listening to the first four tracks off of the album and what I feel like should've been a single "Well, You Can Do It Without Me".
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »

I subscribe to NoiseTrade, imo the best source to find new music AND have a chance to download it for free. Which I did, here 'n' there. One of the songs I liked was featured in Will Hodge's (NT music editor/community manager) Thanksgiving wrap-up. It is "Pumpkin Pie" by The Castros. There is live performance of it on Youtube. In addition, my favorites are Rick Gallagher's jazz instras - "Sweet Potato Eyebrows" & mash-up of re-arranged Christmas staples "A Sleigh, A Song and A Baby Boy" (Sleigh Ride, Sing We Now of Christmas, O Holy Night, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, The Holly & the Ivy, Little Drummer Boy, Let It Snow, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 09:59:44 PM »

Tyson Motsenbocker, "Rivers & Roads" EP. Nice but not good. I don't much care for "indie" sound/style.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2016, 07:51:17 PM »

Hangout Music Festival mixtape-2016. The fest will take place in Gulf Shores, Alabama May 20-22. Who like the beach - buy tickets.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2016, 07:55:52 PM »

This album is available in the band's official site in diff. formats. The release date: 8th of April.

Live stuff, go to the Big Ears festival March 31-April 2 in Knoxville, TN. If you can't go, download the mixtape: http://noisetrade.com/bigears/the-sounds-of-big-ears-2016-artist

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »

"Homestead" by The Riverside, folk quintet from Southern California.

go to this link: http://noisetrade.com/theriversideriver/homestead?utm_source=Wednesday%20Emailer&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=The%20Riverside&utm_campaign=Homestead

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2016, 02:35:31 AM »

Check NoiseTrade to get Steve Everett's highly anticipated new record "Central Standards". His debut was nominated for Album of the Year by the Independent Music Awards.

Kerri Louisa "Bring the Rain" (Aussie folk). The Marcus King Band "Live at Rockwood Music Hall" (psychedelia, rock, improvisation, soul & acoustic). The Trigger Code "Fathers & Sons" + Complete Discography (written by Taylor Sorensen, a "working artist's artist", veteran of the Nashville indie-music scene).

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx