gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:41:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fire and DYLW music videos from 1966/7  (Read 4099 times)
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »

The 1985 American Band documentary has some strange videos of the Beach Boys circa 1966/67. One that sticks in my mind is a weird video which is set to the "Do You Like Worms" track. Band members are seen appearing and disappearing and waving their arms around. Then there is a scene where Brian appears to shake hands with himself. There is also sped up footage of a fire engine being chased down the street by Brian and others (obviously set to the Fire music). It fits the wierdness and atmosphere of Smile really well. And, of course, when this video was released it was the very first public release of many Smile-era clips and was very exciting.

There is also a clip of them riding mopeds set to Pet Sounds era music.

Anyone know why these videos were made or any background to them ?? Was Smile going to be set to film, or were these just sshort promotional clips ? Were they even meant to be set to music at all ?? Are there any longer versions of these clips in circulation ?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »

I've never seen American Band but the clips you mention did end up being used in a promotional film for Good Vibrations.  I don't know exactly when it came out or how it was presented but it was on the Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary DVD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q3UJV8cjB0

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:29:34 PM »

Beat me to it, Mr. Raccoon

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:30:59 PM »

The "fire" sections of the film were originally in the GV promo film from '66.

EDIT: Rocky Raccoon and Hypehat both beat me!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »

The film of Brian shaking hands with himself (actually Carl acting as a double) is from a promo for "Sloop John B.". This film, along with footage shot to accompany "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" (out in the woods wearing scary masks) appears on the PET SOUNDS 40th Anniversary DVD.  As mentioned by the others, the "Firehouse" footage is from the promo film for "Good Vibrations" (also featured on the PET SOUNDS 40th Anniversary DVD); this was re-purposed in the AMERICAN BAND documentary to cover the "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" section. I believe much of the rest (mopeds, Carl riding a bicycle) was simply home movie footage shot by Dennis. It's possible that Brian suggested he wanted something that could be used to promote the SMiLE material which prompted Dennis to shoot the footage, but more-than-likely it was just Dennis playing around with a new toy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:33:34 PM »

The 1985 American Band documentary has some strange videos of the Beach Boys circa 1966/67. One that sticks in my mind is a weird video which is set to the "Do You Like Worms" track. Band members are seen appearing and disappearing and waving their arms around. Then there is a scene where Brian appears to shake hands with himself. There is also sped up footage of a fire engine being chased down the street by Brian and others (obviously set to the Fire music). It fits the wierdness and atmosphere of Smile really well. And, of course, when this video was released it was the very first public release of many Smile-era clips and was very exciting.

Anyone know why these videos were made or any background to them ?? Was Smile going to be set to film, or were these just sshort promotional clips ? Were they even meant to be set to music at all ?? Are there any longer versions of these clips in circulation ?

OK...

"One that sticks in my mind is a weird video which is set to the "Do You Like Worms" track. Band members are seen appearing and disappearing and waving their arms around."

Others will correct me, but I think that was something Dennis came up with (stop motion of he & Carl) and it was nothing to do with "Worms" (the video and music were married for the doc).

"Then there is a scene where Brian appears to shake hands with himself."

From the Derek Taylor directed "Sloop John B" promo (SJB promo), ergo also nothing to do with Smile.

"There is also sped up footage of a fire engine being chased down the street by Brian and others (obviously set to the Fire music)."

That's part of the original "GV" promo (GV promo), shot a good month before the "Fire " session.

The mopeds - if it's the whole band and not just Carl - was shot in Hawaii, late August 1967.

BTW, the footage of the band in firehats tagged as the "Fire" sessions isn't. Wrong studio (it's shot in Western, not Gold Star) and the rest of the band weren't present on 11/28/66.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:35:37 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 02:06:05 PM »

OK...

"One that sticks in my mind is a weird video which is set to the "Do You Like Worms" track. Band members are seen appearing and disappearing and waving their arms around."

Others will correct me, but I think that was something Dennis came up with (stop motion of he & Carl) and it was nothing to do with "Worms" (the video and music were married for the doc).

From the Derek Taylor directed "Sloop John B" promo (SJB promo), ergo also nothing to do with Smile.

"There is also sped up footage of a fire engine being chased down the street by Brian and others (obviously set to the Fire music)."

That's part of the original "GV" promo (GV promo), shot a good month before the "Fire " session.

The mopeds - if it's the whole band and not just Carl - was shot in Hawaii, late August 1967.

BTW, the footage of the band in firehats tagged as the "Fire" sessions isn't. Wrong studio (it's shot in Western, not Gold Star) and the rest of the band weren't present on 11/28/66.  Grin
Damn that Malcolm Leo for making us have to explain over and over and over and over ...that he showed things out of context. Angry
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »

Think the moped/Hawaii stuff would have been used had there been a Lei'd In Hawaii film...

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »

Think the moped/Hawaii stuff would have been used had there been a Lei'd In Hawaii film...

But it's really just home movie stuff (shot without sound as well). It might have been used to cobble a promo together, but it's not like the shoot was as organized as the "Good Vibrations" promo film.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »

But it's really just home movie stuff (shot without sound as well). It might have been used to cobble a promo together, but it's not like the shoot was as organized as the "Good Vibrations" promo film.

Which would've suited the cobbled together vibe of those shows....if I'm not mistaken, album/film plans were announced and Lei'd In Hawaii was given a release # and everything for the LP

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 11:51:33 PM »

man, American Band just confuses the hell out of people with how they take audio and set it to unrelated video.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 04:37:27 PM »

OK...

BTW, the footage of the band in firehats tagged as the "Fire" sessions isn't. Wrong studio (it's shot in Western, not Gold Star) and the rest of the band weren't present on 11/28/66.  Grin
Damn that Malcolm Leo for making us have to explain over and over and over and over ...that he showed things out of context. Angry
things involving"Over and Over" are always controversial in Beach boys lore, Wink uh never mind. On a brighter note, It is documented that one of if not the main cameramen on the GV Promo film was Caleb Deschenel. (Zooey's father.)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:44:24 PM by SMiLE » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »

On a brighter note, It is documented that one of if not the main cameramen on the GV Promo film was Caleb Deschenel. (Zooey's father.)

See, this is the kind of thing that burns up Jon and I (rightly or not... but it does): even very recently discovered new info gets f***ed with. Caleb was involved in the editing of the "GV" promo, but he wasn't part of the shoot:

Here's a recent post from Alan about it:

I recently got in touch with Caleb Deschanel, and asked him about that Good Vibrations film.  it turns out he didn't actually shoot that promo....but he did cut the negative!  He was studying at USC at the time, and a call came in asking if one of the students in the film department would be interested in helping out with the post-production.  When fellow student George Lucas turned down the gig, Caleb took it on.

As far as the editing and filming, it would seem some famous names in the film industry were involved. Caleb Deschanel, famous in the industry as a cinematographer, is of course also the father of sisters Zoe and Emily whom we know. George Lucas was also a film student when he was asked to help with the editing of the Good Vibrations clip.

Took four months to rewrite that tiny corner of BB history...  Huh

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 02:06:26 PM »

On a brighter note, It is documented that one of if not the main cameramen on the GV Promo film was Caleb Deschenel. (Zooey's father.)

See, this is the kind of thing that burns up Jon and I (rightly or not... but it does): even very recently discovered new info gets f*cked with. Caleb was involved in the editing of the "GV" promo, but he wasn't part of the shoot:

Here's a recent post from Alan about it:

I recently got in touch with Caleb Deschanel, and asked him about that Good Vibrations film.  it turns out he didn't actually shoot that promo....but he did cut the negative!  He was studying at USC at the time, and a call came in asking if one of the students in the film department would be interested in helping out with the post-production.  When fellow student George Lucas turned down the gig, Caleb took it on.

As far as the editing and filming, it would seem some famous names in the film industry were involved. Caleb Deschanel, famous in the industry as a cinematographer, is of course also the father of sisters Zoe and Emily whom we know. George Lucas was also a film student when he was asked to help with the editing of the Good Vibrations clip.

Took four months to rewrite that tiny corner of BB history...  Huh
I will  never trust music magazines again.
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 02:19:31 PM »

man, American Band just confuses the hell out of people with how they take audio and set it to unrelated video.
I recently watched American Band  for the first time in years since it was the first Doc I (Really) ever saw back when I was beginning my fandom. , Having seen the other docs now, (Beautiful Dreamer, Endless Harmony, etc.,) It really is amazing how much of a factual mess "American Band" is. I definitely would not recommend it to potential fans as an introduction video since it would probably confuse the heck out of them for these reasons. I would go with Endless Harmony (despite it's shortcomings) or Beautiful Dreamer.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:52:24 PM by SMiLE » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »

In your opinion what are EH's shortcomings?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »

Mike's "Mr. Positive thinker" speech and his defense of his dislike for SMiLE come to mind.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »

Mike's "Mr. Positive thinker" speech and his defense of his dislike for SMiLE come to mind.
Those are clearly some of the most brilliant moments in EH. The filmmaker just laid back and let Mike hang himself with his own words. I came away in awe of that technique because it was so perfectly effective.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 09:22:57 PM »

Hear, hear.

Like him or dislike him, all of Mike's contradictory impulses play out in real time during those sections. You see an incredibly complicated man, who is both proud and defensive, insecure and cocky, angry and calm.

Fascinating. Especially given that Brian, for all of his "childlike" nature, can bullshit much better in interviews.  LOL
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »

Great insights Jon and Wirestone!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 09:46:18 PM »

Those are clearly some of the most brilliant moments in EH. The filmmaker just laid back and let Mike hang himself with his own words. I came away in awe of that technique because it was so perfectly effective.
It successfully made him come across as a jerk, indeed.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »

Speaking of the rather sloppy American Band "mash up's" of audio and video that don't match, I have a question about the You Are So Beautiful sequence. As you hear the piano playing and hear Dennis talking, there is a brief shot of Brian swaying from side to side while playing the piano. It seems fairly obvious(at least to me) that whatever it is, it's not Brian playing YASB, and that it comes from a different point in the show. Does anybody know what Brian was actually playing?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 12:40:49 AM »

Speaking of the rather sloppy American Band "mash up's" of audio and video that don't match, I have a question about the You Are So Beautiful sequence. As you hear the piano playing and hear Dennis talking, there is a brief shot of Brian swaying from side to side while playing the piano. It seems fairly obvious(at least to me) that whatever it is, it's not Brian playing YASB, and that it comes from a different point in the show. Does anybody know what Brian was actually playing?

Hard to say, but if I was to hazard a guess I'd say Shortenin' Bread
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »

Malcolm Leo's a genius too, Jon.
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 09:22:45 PM »

Malcolm Leo's a genius too, Jon.
How is Malcolm Leo a genius? By all indications he seems to be just a Music Documentary Producer.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx