gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:40:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegetables Ballad Insert (W/lead)  (Read 1000 times)
SetWetWet
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:09:59 PM »

Hi, this is my first post.

This is the first work I've done since setting up the equipment I'm now using. I recently got the SMiLE Sessions box set, and I'm really enjoying it.

The backing vox were almost all first takes, the leads took longer, so I wasn't as shrill on the high note as I'd like. I might redo those takes another day.

I learned a lot doing this and welcome feedback/suggestions (here, not on YouTube, pls  Wink ) on improving the sound. I'm well aware of the singing flaws, but suggestions to improve the shimmer or that cool stereo buzz thing, I'm all ears.

Equipment is detailed in the vid's notes section:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6bj6Tm6VvA0

I remember the parts by the band member's name so I'll list them that way here:
(I know Brian recorded all these parts but he mimicked the others' voices too)
Mike: Right/Center
Denny: Left
Carl: Left (very faint, but it's there)
Brian: Right
Lead: Center

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:30:18 AM »

Welcome aboard!

From what I gather, effects (besides reverb) and EQ'ing were used sparingly throughout the period - BW would always rather experiment with positioning, vocal techniques, and the like, before heading to the board, like in the You're Welcome session. Although he eventually faded it in on the master, he started off by having them fade in themselves. Also, any fool could feed the 'straight' rendition of that into the board, or a leslie speaker, or w/e, to get the wobbly takes, but BW makes the group sing it that way. Try experimenting with positions, further and closer to the mic on your doubling, gets good results.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:48:08 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx