gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:04:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Second Favorite Band Next to the Beachboys  (Read 50070 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2012, 09:06:39 PM »

Oasis was absolutely the face of britpop in the 90s.  Blur, suede, the verve, pulp nor supergrass were as big in the mid 90s.   And three dog definitely didn't have the cultural impact in the states that oasis had in England

They were at the popular forefront. Not the creative forefront, by a long shot.

They essentially created what is understood to be the Britpop sound. That's about as creative as it gets.

I don't mind the occasional Britpop. But honestly, with the exception of Oasis, it seems like the rest of Britpop was only a footnote over here in the States. I can't speak for mid-90s hipsters (or whatever the equivalent was at that time), but in small-town-redneck-land when I was a kid the big non-C&W musical things circa '94-'96 seemed to be Hootie and the Blowfish, Alanis Morrissete, Dave Matthews, Deep Blue Something, the Cranberries, etc. The only Blur song to really get any airplay where I'm from is "Song 2". And as sad as this sounds, I was aware of the Gorillaz before I'd even heard of Blur.

I think that's pretty much true although there were things that had a degree of success. Blur was fairly successful with things other than Song 2. I remember Country House being fairly popular. Common People by Pulp was a pretty big hit overeseas too. Elastica were very popular. The Verve's Urban Hymns album was quite popular too, particular its lead-off single Bittersweet Symphony. But you're right, for the most part, Britpop was overlooked and it makes sense since Britpop was very much a reaction against American culture. But nevertheless, whether or not something is popular in the United States doesn't really mean much to me. Britpop is still a major movement.

What a great movement it was too.  People here never talk about super grass but they're so great too
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2012, 12:09:01 AM »

Guitar-centric Britpop was a reacton against dance music, what's laughingly called r'n'b these days and rap too.

Oasis or John Hiatt?  Hiatt every time.

Honk! Honk!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:31 AM »

Hmm... hard to pick...

Probably either the Stones (Brian Jones era) or Pink Floyd (Syd Barrett era and the Roger Waters-led era)
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2014, 07:40:18 AM »

It would be *really* hard for me to narrow down another "favorite."  Top contenders for that spot, though, would likely be:

Sleater-Kinney
Talking Heads
The Long Winters
Guided by Voices

Give me enough time to think and I'd probably double that list.  Smiley  I have a lot of diverse favorites.

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2014, 09:04:38 AM »

I've probably said this already but I can't be arsed to trawl through the thread, so: Steely Dan. However, Paul Simon would be my next favourite artist, even before Becker and Fagen.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2014, 09:40:47 AM »

I don't think the Beach Boys are my favourite group anymore, it's probably Zappa with the BBs at 2.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »

The Band.

After that, it'd be a toss up between The Beatles, ELO, The Zombies, Frank Zappa, Phil Spector or King Crimson.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:44:51 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2014, 09:45:36 AM »

I don't think the Beach Boys are my favourite group anymore, it's probably Zappa with the BBs at 2.

Have you seen a Zappa Plays Zappa or Grandmothers of Invention show? I've seen the latter - INCREDIBLE.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »

I would love to but I live in England where we only get sh*t like Sam Smith.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2014, 10:09:04 AM »

Somedays Elvis is #1.
Somedays the Beach Boys are #1.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »

What's interesting to me, is while I like tons of other stuff -- I have to be in the mood for it.  Or I tire of it.  Or whatever.

But when Elvis or The Beach Boys knock on the door (which is like all the frickin' time) -- I always let them in.  And they wind up staying all night.  And we drink too much.  Talk about the good times.   LOL

On rare occasions Jim Morrison and the Doors come over and tend to stay awhile too.  But they don't come around nowhere as much as The King and "The Duke" (Brian Wilson is the Duke).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:18:36 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »

1 U2
2 Beatles
3 beach boys/BW

Some days the order shifts around.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2014, 01:07:25 PM »

It would be *really* hard for me to narrow down another "favorite."  Top contenders for that spot, though, would likely be:

Sleater-Kinney
Talking Heads
The Long Winters
Guided by Voices

Give me enough time to think and I'd probably double that list.  Smiley  I have a lot of diverse favorites.

Curious to know if you liked the Wild Flag album? I became a fan of Carrie's through Portlandia and picked up that CD and love it. The guitars are incredible....IMO.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2014, 01:44:23 PM »

It's either gotta be the Kinks or Harry Nilsson.
Although, I'm currently listening to "Circle Sky" and I am inclined to say Michael Nesmith.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »

The Band.
+1   Cool

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 17, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »

I'm always so tempted to just start spewing links to cool Band stuff . 'GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS ITS GARTH PLAYING MOZART IN THE MIDDLE OF DIXIE'.

Why isn't there a forum for The Band?  Sad I'd be all over that.

TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2014, 02:08:33 PM »

The Kinks, probably.  Maybe it's because, like The Beach Boys, they have a really cool middle period that not that many people know well (The Kinks being pretty much defined by protopunk + Lola + an 80's hit in Come Dancing, like The Beach Boys are defined by surf/car songs + Good Vibrations + an 80's hit in Kokomo). The only time I hear a lot of these songs is when I actively seek them out, so I don't have to worry about them being overplayed and losing their lustre.

Neil Young, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Zombies, The Cars, and Led Zeppelin would round out the list at the moment.  The Cars is probably the most unconventional choice of these, but I love how they combine elements of hard rock and new wave with a keen sense of melody as well.
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: July 17, 2014, 02:24:55 PM »

Curious to know if you liked the Wild Flag album? I became a fan of Carrie's through Portlandia and picked up that CD and love it. The guitars are incredible....IMO.

Oh yes, absolutely, I loved that album - not only am I a fan of Carrie and Janet from S-K, but I am also a big fan of Mary Timony from her various works and like Rebecca Cole from The Minders.  Loved the album, and was fortunate enough to see them live in a nice cozy venue - GREAT show.

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2014, 11:19:05 PM »

The Beach Boys aren't quite my all-time favourite group (although Brian has been responsible for several tracks I like almost more than anything else ever...), so that means that the following groups/individuals aren't necessarily 'second'... they're just a rotating cast of stuff I listen to a lot that I like.

eels/e (currently on HEAVY rotation... there's hardly anything I don't like! daisies of the galaxy is my overall favourite record, but he's been amazingly good throughout, really)
saint etienne (they just get better and better)
the divine comedy (with 'regeneration' the absolute highlight, but great stuff throughout)
pet shop boys (always something great in there somewhere, even if you have to pick and choose a bit lately...)
penguin café orchestra (if I wake up in the afterlife with this playing, I'll know I did OK)
paul simon (and that other guy he used to sing with... I like everything S&G did, apart from maybe baby driver, while Paul solo is less consistent, but he's still great)
orchestral manoeuvres in the dark (so they went a bit dodgy after 1983, sure... but I think everything they've done since 1989 is at least worth a listen or downright great, with the possible exception of sailing on the sodding seven seas)
1 giant leap (just... some of the best, multi-layered stuff ever... I enjoy it as a production, for its musicality, for its internationally collaborative spirit, for its thumping dance tunes, and for its wistful anthems of what it is to be human. oh, and the lyrics are pure poetry too)
new order (hardly a duff track, for me... even on the last three albums, which no-one else seems to like...)
xtc (later, post-skylarking: I'm a bit 'meh' before that, but from oranges and lemons on, I think they were incredible... nonsuch and apple venus are out of this world, right up there with my favourite music ever)
rufus wainwright
the beloved (1985-1991)
yann tiersen
the beatles (oh, just everything. they were and remain really quite good)
neil finn (in all of his various outfits, and with particular love for the weird and twisted crowded house of together alone and the offbeat but awesome first finn record, plus 'not the girl you think you are'. I'm not wild on the first CH album (that mid-80s drum sound! those horns! arrgh!), and I find temple of low men very patchy too, but great when it works)

Hmm. reviewing the above, I see there's not much out-and-out raaawk here... it seems it just doesn't do it for me, though I do like bands that have dabbled, like the Kinks (autumn almanac... yeah!) and John and Paul's guitar and drums combo, and I have the odd guilty pleasure like the stones' 'sympathy for the devil' and rainbow's 'since you been gone', weirdly. And for some reason I love jellyfish's really raucous tunes (as well as all their other stuff).

oh, and mozart and bach are great too in parts, but they did so many types of thing, it's hard to pick out favourites...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:24:44 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2014, 05:46:36 AM »

I thought I'd answered this long ago...

Anyway, my four favourites are, in an ever-changing order:

- The Beach Boys
- Captain Beefheart and His/The Magic Band
- Gary Numan (Tubeway Army if it has to be a band)
- U2 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 18, 2014, 05:50:32 AM »

Tough. But I'd say McCartney Solo, and Beatles as a group.

beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2014, 06:29:45 AM »

The Ramones
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2014, 06:40:01 AM »

Oh yes, absolutely, I loved that album - not only am I a fan of Carrie and Janet from S-K, but I am also a big fan of Mary Timony from her various works and like Rebecca Cole from The Minders.  Loved the album, and was fortunate enough to see them live in a nice cozy venue - GREAT show.

Cool. I'll check into those other groups. My wife always tells me to try listening to something new other than the Beach Boys or stuff I've had/heard for years and when I first put on the Wild Flag album she said "what is that, and what is that annoying woman screaming about"... too funny.

On point to the discussion The Cranberries would be my choice.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2014, 06:43:57 AM »

The Who

Then Beatles, Pink Floyd, Dylan, Band, Velvet Underground, Kinks, Simon & Garfunkel, Oasis, Supremes, Ramones, Neil Young, Gabriel-era Genesis, early Aerosmith, Pixies, Elton John and Stooges. Then more...
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2014, 08:31:21 AM »

It's changed so many times... The Ramones, David Bowie, Queen, Pink, Alice Cooper, Suicidal Tendencies, KMFDM, Thelonious Monk, Oingo Boingo, Extreme, Mott The Hoople/Ian Hunter, The Beatles, Sheryl Crow, among others.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx