gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:26:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Second Favorite Band Next to the Beachboys  (Read 50417 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »

Oasis was absolutely the face of britpop in the 90s.  Blur, suede, the verve, pulp nor supergrass were as big in the mid 90s.   And three dog definitely didn't have the cultural impact in the states that oasis had in England

They were at the popular forefront. Not the creative forefront, by a long shot.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »

The Misfits, T. Rex, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, Animal Collective, Sunset Rubdown, Broken Social Scene, and yes, Radiohead. and if you don't listen to a band because people in the band say stupid things you shouldn't listen to any band ever. Especially the Beach Boys.

never said they said stupid things.  again, did you see i listed oasis as one of my favorite bands? obviously band members saying stupid things doesn't bother me.  but interpretive dancing to your own song in a music video...oh man...if you do that, then you deserve this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgeT2hzxrQ
they were but so were radiohead, i just think that oasis put out 2 good albums and the rest was ehhhhhhhhh lol
 LOL oasis is extremely over-rated.

So they weren't at the forefront of one of the most significant music scenes of the last thirty years? Are you suggesting that didn't happen?
who contributed more to rock and roll in the 90's? oasis or radiohead?(creatively)

Oasis. Although, to be fair, there would have been no Travis or Coldplay without Radiohead. So they got that.
Oasis will always be remembered as one of the best 90's but radiohead will always be remembered as one of the best groups of all time..not just by me or my peers but by musicians period.
look ----->http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/radiohead-19691231

Good lord, you're starting to sound like an annoying Beatles fan who thinks its necessary to constantly post their greatness.  Its radiohead, they're acclaimed.  Everyone knows.  There's no point to make
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »

Oasis was absolutely the face of britpop in the 90s.  Blur, suede, the verve, pulp nor supergrass were as big in the mid 90s.   And three dog definitely didn't have the cultural impact in the states that oasis had in England

No one said they were haha, and theyve never tried to be, which is probably why their middle years were so bad.  They've always said we're just a rock in roll band who wrote some classics. But comparing them to three dog night is already laughable
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:59:32 PM by Runaways » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »

Radiohead really take themselves too seriously for my taste.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »

No one said they were haha, and theyve never tried to be, which is probably why their middle years were so bad.  They've always said we're just a rock in roll band who wrote some classics. But comparing them to three dog night is already laughable

Your lack of proper punctuation is laughable. And what the hell is "rock in roll"? "No one said they were haha"? Go bother someone who cares, good luck finding someone.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:41:03 PM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »

Your lack of proper punctuation is laughable. And what the hell is "rock in roll"? "No one said they were haha"? Go bother someone who cares, good luck finding someone.

Sorry chum, typing on an iPad.  It likes to autocorrect things like rock n roll.  But please don't go, I love talking to assholes,.,.,,.,.,,,,!!,!"'??.,,,,,,.I'd love to talk grammar with you, and try to understand that I was laughing at you because you were countering to a point that no one made Smiley ,,.,l. I'm sorry I drove you away SadSadSadSadSadSadSad
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:08:03 PM by Runaways » Logged
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2012, 08:33:23 PM »

Because there really is no substance to their music, which is fine usually but not when it masquerades as being something that does have substance. I find Radiohead to be empty, cold, emotionless, trifling, and silly and all of this is exacerbated by the fact that they take it so seriously.

Ok, well, subjective. I think the opposite. This song screwed with my head for a good 6 months: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvv-LpTBWVk

Also Thom's voice is powerful and unique enough to keep him on lists of top rock vocalists of all time. I love him here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfmQe_eBvrc
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »

They essentially created what is understood to be the Britpop sound. That's about as creative as it gets.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »

The Misfits, T. Rex, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, Animal Collective, Sunset Rubdown, Broken Social Scene, and yes, Radiohead. and if you don't listen to a band because people in the band say stupid things you shouldn't listen to any band ever. Especially the Beach Boys.

never said they said stupid things.  again, did you see i listed oasis as one of my favorite bands? obviously band members saying stupid things doesn't bother me.  but interpretive dancing to your own song in a music video...oh man...if you do that, then you deserve this

they were but so were radiohead, i just think that oasis put out 2 good albums and the rest was ehhhhhhhhh lol

So they weren't at the forefront of one of the most significant music scenes of the last thirty years? Are you suggesting that didn't happen?
who contributed more to rock and roll in the 90's? oasis or radiohead?(creatively)

Oasis. Although, to be fair, there would have been no Travis or Coldplay without Radiohead. So they got that.
Oasis will always be remembered as one of the best 90's but radiohead will always be remembered as one of the best groups of all time..not just by me or my peers but by musicians period.
look ----->http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/radiohead-19691231

The list was compiled by "55 musicians, writers, and industry executives." Even if we are being generous and say that 70% of those 55 were musicians - that accounts for about 39 people. Hardly a major sampling. Rolling Stone is a junk magazine anyway and the fact that Dave Matthews is singing their praises hardly convinces me. Furthermore, they placed 73rd in a list of Best Artists that was compiled by, estimating generously, 39 musicians, only eleven years after the band started releasing music (eight years have passed since this list came out). That definitely does not allow anyone to plausibly conclude that they "will always be remembered as one of the best groups of all time...by musicians period."
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »

LOL you totally destroyed him/her.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2012, 09:21:51 PM »

Because there really is no substance to their music, which is fine usually but not when it masquerades as being something that does have substance. I find Radiohead to be empty, cold, emotionless, trifling, and silly and all of this is exacerbated by the fact that they take it so seriously.

Ok, well, subjective. I think the opposite. This song screwed with my head for a good 6 months: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvv-LpTBWVk

Also Thom's voice is powerful and unique enough to keep him on lists of top rock vocalists of all time. I love him here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfmQe_eBvrc
great song choices Smiley check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJkeVkYq8Es
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2012, 09:24:41 PM »

never said they said stupid things.  again, did you see i listed oasis as one of my favorite bands? obviously band members saying stupid things doesn't bother me.  but interpretive dancing to your own song in a music video...oh man...if you do that, then you deserve this

not really, i think they've earned the disregard they've gotten over the years.  albums 3-5 are baaaaad...BAAAAAAD.  but albums 1 and 2 are full on rock n roll pop classics. 
radiohead 4 albums are classic...3 well received by critics and 1 albums that is considered trash by some(mostly radiohead fans) which is their debut.

Which is weird, because their debut is my favorite one by them.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
wavedancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2012, 09:50:15 PM »

Queen............ in my view they didn't release one poor track in thier whole career.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2012, 09:57:41 PM »

Oasis was absolutely the face of britpop in the 90s.  Blur, suede, the verve, pulp nor supergrass were as big in the mid 90s.   And three dog definitely didn't have the cultural impact in the states that oasis had in England

They essentially created what is understood to be the Britpop sound. That's about as creative as it gets.

I don't mind the occasional Britpop. But honestly, with the exception of Oasis, it seems like the rest of Britpop was only a footnote over here in the States. I can't speak for mid-90s hipsters (or whatever the equivalent was at that time), but in small-town-redneck-land when I was a kid the big non-C&W musical things circa '94-'96 seemed to be Hootie and the Blowfish, Alanis Morrissete, Dave Matthews, Deep Blue Something, the Cranberries, etc. The only Blur song to really get any airplay where I'm from is "Song 2". And as sad as this sounds, I was aware of the Gorillaz before I'd even heard of Blur.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:31:10 PM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2012, 10:11:23 PM »

never said they said stupid things.  again, did you see i listed oasis as one of my favorite bands? obviously band members saying stupid things doesn't bother me.  but interpretive dancing to your own song in a music video...oh man...if you do that, then you deserve this

not really, i think they've earned the disregard they've gotten over the years.  albums 3-5 are baaaaad...BAAAAAAD.  but albums 1 and 2 are full on rock n roll pop classics. 
radiohead 4 albums are classic...3 well received by critics and 1 albums that is considered trash by some(mostly radiohead fans) which is their debut.

their first album is still a great effort ..the reason why they disregard it is ..well if you compare it to anything else they released you'll understand why.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »

their first album is still a great effort ..the reason why they disregard it is ..well if you compare it to anything else they released you'll understand why.
RH should have been marketed as a singles act rather than an album act. Too much inconsistency. I don't care how "experimental" they get. The songwriting quality just isn't there on a lot of their post-Bends stuff. "Anyone Can Play Guitar" and "Ripcord" get me pumped up, get my fingers tapping, get me singing along..."15 Step" gets me rolling my eyes and hitting the skip button.

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »

Goes pretty much like this:  Beatles, Brian Wilson, Queen, The Turtles, The Monkees, Michael Nesmith (solo), The Who, George Harrison, Lovin' Spoonful, The Doors, The Band, Grateful Dead, etc. etc.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »

RH should have been marketed as a singles act rather than an album act. Too much inconsistency. I don't care how "experimental" they get. The songwriting quality just isn't there on a lot of their post-Bends stuff. "Anyone Can Play Guitar" and "Ripcord" get me pumped up, get my fingers tapping, get me singing along..."15 Step" gets me rolling my eyes and hitting the skip button.
how about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJkeVkYq8Es
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxKBUJ0z0Mk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJ_EFt_gqU
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »

15 Step is one of my favorite songs by them. I think it's really catchy!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2012, 11:32:03 PM »

Speaking of Radiohead, I am a big fan. Especially love Kid A and Amnesiac. As for my second favorite band behind the Beach Boys, it is Grandaddy. The lyrics, melodies and production of Jason Lytle is closest to the magic of Friends/Wild Honey/Love You type Beach Boys IMO.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2012, 05:59:16 AM »

Oasis was absolutely the face of britpop in the 90s.  Blur, suede, the verve, pulp nor supergrass were as big in the mid 90s.   And three dog definitely didn't have the cultural impact in the states that oasis had in England

I don't mind the occasional Britpop. But honestly, with the exception of Oasis, it seems like the rest of Britpop was only a footnote over here in the States. I can't speak for mid-90s hipsters (or whatever the equivalent was at that time), but in small-town-redneck-land when I was a kid the big non-C&W musical things circa '94-'96 seemed to be Hootie and the Blowfish, Alanis Morrissete, Dave Matthews, Deep Blue Something, the Cranberries, etc. The only Blur song to really get any airplay where I'm from is "Song 2". And as sad as this sounds, I was aware of the Gorillaz before I'd even heard of Blur.

I think that's pretty much true although there were things that had a degree of success. Blur was fairly successful with things other than Song 2. I remember Country House being fairly popular. Common People by Pulp was a pretty big hit overeseas too. Elastica were very popular. The Verve's Urban Hymns album was quite popular too, particular its lead-off single Bittersweet Symphony. But you're right, for the most part, Britpop was overlooked and it makes sense since Britpop was very much a reaction against American culture. But nevertheless, whether or not something is popular in the United States doesn't really mean much to me. Britpop is still a major movement.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »

If my last.fm plays are any indication, it seems after The Beach Boys comes Randy Newman. I think I would be okay with that, 12 Songs to Good Old Boys is as classic a run as it gets!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »

Little Feat is my favorite group....Brian Wilson is my favorite musician. The Beach Boys' material through KTSA is always fun to hear, although albums were spotty at times. The material up through Love You is great...there are a number of tunes on post Love You albums that are very enjoyable as well.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Bill Ed
« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2012, 01:03:14 PM »

My second favorite group, behind the Beach Boys, is the Bee Gees.

I could be wrong but I think nobody has mentioned them in this thread. That's a little hard for me to understand given their similarity to the Beach Boys. (Great melodies, great harmonies, three brothers who didn't always get along, an image problem that deafened people to the music, . . . )
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2012, 07:48:31 PM »

My second favorite group, behind the Beach Boys, is the Bee Gees.

I could be wrong but I think nobody has mentioned them in this thread. That's a little hard for me to understand given their similarity to the Beach Boys. (Great melodies, great harmonies, three brothers who didn't always get along, an image problem that deafened people to the music, . . . )
You are so right my friend..You totally read my mind. People forget about all the great records they made before SNF especially the first half dozen or so. I also enjoy "Life In A Tin Can" and "Mr Natural". A blend only blood could produce. A lot a drama and break-ups as well as tragedy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx