gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:22:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Second Favorite Band Next to the Beachboys  (Read 50439 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2012, 01:39:29 AM »

Nice choice, "Piece Of Pie" is one of my favourite songs ever

Core is a stone cold classic

Favorite album for me is either Tiny Music or Shangri-La Di Da. Also, there are a LOT of similarities between Weiland and Brian (and not strictly musical)...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2012, 07:34:33 AM »

Heard "Black Water" today on the radio, Eric, and thought to add them to my list of favorites here. From my neck o' the woods, and I like them best with Tom Johnston and without Michael McDonald!
Same here!  There are some songs from the beginning of the Michael McDonald era that I like, but once he was fully established, his sound totally took over and the band was totally different...not totally bad, but very very different.

Lots trash Michael McDonald but Tom's sole song on Taking It To The Streets is the weakest track on the record and by Minute By Minute, several of Pat's were fairly crap. By the second half of the 70's the original band template had run out of steam.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »

You like ELO twice as much as the other bands, eh Rob?  I really like them two!  Grin

2000 CD's and albums........................damn.

My bad about ELO can i kindly cop out and say ELO and ELP ? and next to the 2000 odd CD's there is the BB's and related collection which runs into bloody hundreds , and im yet to transfer a whole load of old 'Live' tapes ( tapes , remember them ? ) onto hard drive/cd , but there really isn't enough time in life  Undecided
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »

Nick Drake
The Stranglers ( Great Band )
XTC ( Bloody love them )
ELO
Led Zep
J Geils Band
Wondermints
Prefab Sprout
The Who
ELO
Fleetwood Mac ( All Genres )
Korgis / Stackridge
ABBA
Simon & Garfunkel

You Sir, have magnificent taste. Not come across another Sprouts-fan outside of the PS forum. I actually discovered Smile through them; the liner notes of "Let's Change the World With Music" to be specific.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2012, 12:11:21 PM »

Mine has to be Led Zeppelin...
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2012, 12:58:28 PM »

The Zit Remedy. Classic late 80's/early 90's Canadian Band.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:00:37 PM by BiNNS » Logged
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »

Wishbone Ash!

No, just kidding  Grin

The Beatles
Midnight Oil
Depeche Mode
Pink Floyd
Queen
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2012, 02:47:38 PM »

The Beach Boys are the only band I like.

Unless Big Band counts.

Does Glen Miller count?

Or does it have to be post 1956, AKA "Of All Time"
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2012, 03:33:40 PM »

Big Star

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »

The Beach Boys are the only band I like.

Unless Big Band counts.

Does Glen Miller count?

Or does it have to be post 1956, AKA "Of All Time"

Well, I do love Duke Ellington more than I have loved some girlfriends....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2012, 11:49:49 PM »

Another shout out for the Sprouts! My favourite is Steve McQueen.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2012, 05:43:22 AM »

EELS.
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2012, 06:44:23 AM »

NRBQ

Me 2. Also the Allman Brothers.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »

Van Morrison and Stevie Wonder up to a point (Stevie up to and including Hotter Than July; Van up to and including Beautiful Vision; after that, meh...)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »

Beach Boys, John Denver, the Misfits, T. Rex, Sunset Rubdown, Modest Mouse

I used to be really into the Beatles when I first got into music and I really overplayed them and now I can't really listen to them too often anymore.

this is a Sunset Rubdown music video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekqe8gftvSU
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:45:24 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SunBurn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »

VERY difficult question, but leaving aside classical music I'll say the Duke Ellington Orchestra (wonderfully inventive instrumental harmonies and fantastic sounds...not unlike Pet Sounds-era backing tracks). My dad used to listen to a lot of big band stuff, and that's how I first got into it. "Mood Indigo" instrumental version is a great example of their earlier work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiOEzDiL6as
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2012, 02:42:01 PM »

Not a band, but my favourite musician after The Beach Boys is Ronnie James Dio.

His music covered a much larger diversity than many people are aware of, he started off as a Doo-Wop singer in the late 50's with songs such as MISTER MISERY ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vqJ81gMWg0&feature=related ) and AN ANGEL IS MISSING ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmbuHKuyDRc&feature=related )

After being in a few bands he started Rainbow with Ritchie Blackmore in the mid 70's, where they took the early Metal sound (basically heavy blues) and added more exotic inspirations darker lyrical inspirations and orchestral elements, most noticeable in songs like STARGAZER ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6W7jMURpGU )

He later joined Black Sabbath after the departure of Ozzy Osbourne where he was responsible for their Heaven and Hell album (this is the title song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwxbh_n_WM )

After he left Black Sabbath he created his own solo band Dio, where despite being a predominately metal band (with hits like Holy Diver, which nearly everyone knows, whether they know it or not, so I wont bother linking), his other influences occasionally came through with tracks like THIS IS YOUR LIFE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku--QYJQsPo )

He remained in Dio until his passing in 2010 (with a break in 1991 to rejoin Black Sabbath, and then in the mid 00's to join Heaven and Hell, which was Black Sabbath without having to pay Ozzy royalties)

His diversity is something that I love about his music, not just the range of styles, but the fact he could pull them all off fantastically, I hope that linking some of his music here encourages some people here to listen and maybe discover something they like Smiley

i agree 100%

one of the best singers of all time

saw him when he toured with H&H and his voiced still amazed me

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »

90s Weezer!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
oldsurferdude
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »

Quite honestly, The Buddy Rich Big Band. Never saw anything like it before. Pat Metheny's right up there with him.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »

Oh come on, OSD! We all know Celebration is your 2nd favorite band by a mile!!!
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »

Well The BBs are #1 by a landslide, but at distant second for me is The Band

I like that they're extremely unique. They're not really "Southern Rock", Country, or strait ahead Rock N Roll. IMO they were like Rock, Country, R&B, Bluegrass, etc rolled all into one. They had a sound totally unto themselves. Plus they were killer musicians and the Helm, Danko, Manuel blend was gorgeous.

I became a fan of The Band by (stupidly) watching The Kids Are Alright. At the risk of offending people, I must say I hate the Who (their "music" is unpleasant noise to my ears, I don't like their attitudes, and the fact that smashing guitars is as important to their popularity as their sound represents everything I hate about what "music" has become). Anyway, I watched this show ridiculously enough just to see if Keith Moon mentioned his Beach Boy obsession (I think he did). When it finally ended I was so traumatized, disgusted, & incensed that when the next show came on (The Last Waltz aka the anti Who & The Kids Are Alright) I was instantly hooked because they were like saviors from the hell my eyes and ears had been through, lol. Plus they got major points when I spotted Loretta's daddy on the drums (Levon Helm) Grin

Best example of their music, imo, is It Makes No Difference (at least that's my favorite). Other favorites are I Shall Be Released, Stage Fright, Up On Cripple Creek, & Evangeline.

My 3rd and 4th favorite bands are CCR & The Eagles.

But my all time favorite, be all end all singers/musicians (in no order) are: The Beach Boys, Elvis, Hank Sr, George Jones, Faron Young, Patsy Cline, & Loretta Lynn Listening
Runners up: Marty Robbins, Buck & His Buckaroos, Merle Haggard, Sam Cooke, Connie Francis, The Drifters, The Platters, The Shirelles, Alan Jackson, & The Dixie Chicks

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2012, 10:50:17 PM »

I became a fan of The Band by (stupidly) watching The Kids Are Alright. At the risk of offending people, I must say I hate the Who (their "music" is unpleasant noise to my ears, I don't like their attitudes, and the fact that smashing guitars is as important to their popularity as their sound represents everything I hate about what "music" has become). Anyway, I watched this show ridiculously enough just to see if Keith Moon mentioned his Beach Boy obsession (I think he did). When it finally ended I was so traumatized, disgusted, & incensed

This is fabulous. I have seen The Kids Are Alright about a thousand times, but now I feel the need to go watch it again! Bad attitudes, unpleasant noise, smashed guitars, traumatizing, disgusting, incensing, that is The Who alright, the greatest rock and roll band of all time (I wouldn't define The Beach Boys as rock and roll full stop). You just defined them perfectly, and also why they aren't The Eagles, thank God.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2012, 10:51:09 PM »

speaking of the greatest singers of all-time, how in the hell did i forget RAY CHARLES?!!!!

I should also mention that I'm not a big fan of The Who's post-Tommy output.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2012, 11:13:26 PM »

For what it's worth, my favorite bands are:
1) Beach Boys

2) Stone Temple Pilots
3) Pink Floyd
4) Rolling Stones
5) Roxy Music
6) Foo Fighters
7) Alice in Chains
Cool The Go-Gos
9) Depeche Mode
10) Nirvana

Second favorite artist behind Brian Wilson is Tom Waits.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2012, 11:45:39 PM »

Beside Beach Boys/BW, it's:

Pixies/Frank Black
Guided By Voices/Robert Pollard
Devo
Weezer
Beatles
Kinks
Dylan