gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 02:51:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Second Favorite Band Next to the Beachboys  (Read 50449 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »

A chance to discuss you second favorite obsessive musical interest.

What do you like about them, how did you become interested,  and what are some of the best examples of their music?

I see this as on topic in that we are talking about board regulars who consider the Beach Boys  their favorite band.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »

Beatles.  Not even a second thought for me.  A no-brainer.

Then the Stones, Who, Creedence, Kinks, Byrds, Eagles, ELO, Dylan & The Band, Doors, CSNY, Neil, The Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Clapton, Motown, Elvis, Chuck, Buddy, the Four Skins, etc. etc.  

Interviewer: Are you a Mod or a Rocker?
Ringo: I'm a Mocker.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 04:09:33 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »

Beatles.  Not even a second thought for me.  A no-brainer.

Then the Stones, Who, Creedence, Kinks, Byrds, Eagles, ELO, Dylan, Clapton, Motown, Elvis, Chuck, Buddy, the Four Skins, etc. etc.......

So, Mikie, just what is it about this "Beatles" group you find so fascinating and how long have you known about them? Geek Geek
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »

Not a band, but my favourite musician after The Beach Boys is Ronnie James Dio.

His music covered a much larger diversity than many people are aware of, he started off as a Doo-Wop singer in the late 50's with songs such as MISTER MISERY ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vqJ81gMWg0&feature=related ) and AN ANGEL IS MISSING ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmbuHKuyDRc&feature=related )

After being in a few bands he started Rainbow with Ritchie Blackmore in the mid 70's, where they took the early Metal sound (basically heavy blues) and added more exotic inspirations darker lyrical inspirations and orchestral elements, most noticeable in songs like STARGAZER ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6W7jMURpGU )

He later joined Black Sabbath after the departure of Ozzy Osbourne where he was responsible for their Heaven and Hell album (this is the title song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwxbh_n_WM )

After he left Black Sabbath he created his own solo band Dio, where despite being a predominately metal band (with hits like Holy Diver, which nearly everyone knows, whether they know it or not, so I wont bother linking), his other influences occasionally came through with tracks like THIS IS YOUR LIFE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku--QYJQsPo )

He remained in Dio until his passing in 2010 (with a break in 1991 to rejoin Black Sabbath, and then in the mid 00's to join Heaven and Hell, which was Black Sabbath without having to pay Ozzy royalties)

His diversity is something that I love about his music, not just the range of styles, but the fact he could pull them all off fantastically, I hope that linking some of his music here encourages some people here to listen and maybe discover something they like Smiley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »

Dylan, Simon, Newman, Steely Dan and loads of jazz stuff e.g. Ellington, Evans, Davis, Peterson, Tatum...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:37:07 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »

Sorry! Beach Boys are second to The Beatles for me.

Mccartney/Lennon were the greatest songwriters of all time during the Beatles years. BW had the talent to match them but other things got in the way for him.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:12:37 PM »

Ryan Adams
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »

Don, next to the Beach Boys, The Beatles (aka The Quarrymen, Johnny & The Moondogs, and Silver Beetles) are the music of my life. There will NEVER be another group like them. EVER.  And, uh, I've known about The Beatles since I got my first album when I was a little kid - "Alvin & The Chipmunks Sing The Beatles Hits". When I was 9, my Mom thought the Beatles were a little too heavy for me and decided to get me acquainted with their music through a cartoon show on TV that I liked at the time..

Know what I got for Christmas in 1966?  "The Beatles - Yesterday & Today".  An original paste-over of the "Butcher cover"!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 01:15:57 PM »

The Moody Blues, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Pink Floyd, Phil Spector, The Who, ELO, Flying Buritto Brothers,Bob Dylan, The Band, Jethro Tull, The Zombies, Fleetwood Mac, and Chuck Berry.    
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:18:57 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »

The Holy Triumvirate for me, are the Beach Boys, Dylan and the Who. Brian Wilson, Bob Dylan and Pete Townshend are the greatest songwriters of our time in my book, however I could name another 10 I whose music I would not like to live without!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »

The Ramones

1. Beach Boys
2. The Ramones

Two greatest bands in history Smiley Smiley

3. Moodies
4. Kinks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 01:24:39 PM »

Not a band, but my favourite musician after The Beach Boys is Ronnie James Dio.

His music covered a much larger diversity than many people are aware of, he started off as a Doo-Wop singer in the late 50's with songs such as MISTER MISERY ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vqJ81gMWg0&feature=related ) and AN ANGEL IS MISSING ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmbuHKuyDRc&feature=related )

After being in a few bands he started Rainbow with Ritchie Blackmore in the mid 70's, where they took the early Metal sound (basically heavy blues) and added more exotic inspirations darker lyrical inspirations and orchestral elements, most noticeable in songs like STARGAZER ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6W7jMURpGU )

He later joined Black Sabbath after the departure of Ozzy Osbourne where he was responsible for their Heaven and Hell album (this is the title song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwxbh_n_WM )

After he left Black Sabbath he created his own solo band Dio, where despite being a predominately metal band (with hits like Holy Diver, which nearly everyone knows, whether they know it or not, so I wont bother linking), his other influences occasionally came through with tracks like THIS IS YOUR LIFE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku--QYJQsPo )

He remained in Dio until his passing in 2010 (with a break in 1991 to rejoin Black Sabbath, and then in the mid 00's to join Heaven and Hell, which was Black Sabbath without having to pay Ozzy royalties)

His diversity is something that I love about his music, not just the range of styles, but the fact he could pull them all off fantastically, I hope that linking some of his music here encourages some people here to listen and maybe discover something they like Smiley

I'm sold!

Dio was the greatest metal singer ever and both Heaven & Hell/Mob Rules are right up there at the top of the greatest metal/hard rock albums of all time!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »

After the Beach Biys?"

Torn between John Martyn and Neil Young…

then:
Dennis Wilson (can he count?)
Jethro Tull
Kate Rusby
The Beatles
The Wombles (seriously!)
The Darts
Led Zeppelin
The Who
Dan Arborise

“We live in divisive times.”
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »

I'm sold!

Dio was the greatest metal singer ever and both Heaven & Hell/Mob Rules are right up there at the top of the greatest metal/hard rock albums of all time!

I agree! (Dehumanizer was good too, for early 90's metal, the track COMPUTER GOD is pretty darn good if you haven't heard it)

Have you heard an album he done with Rainbow called RISING? That is another fantastic Hard Rock/Metal album which I STRONGLY recommend if you haven't heard it.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 01:33:34 PM »

Oasis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »

I'm sold!

I agree! (Dehumanizer was good too, for early 90's metal, the track COMPUTER GOD is pretty darn good if you haven't heard it)

Have you heard an album he done with Rainbow called RISING? That is another fantastic Hard Rock/Metal album which I STRONGLY recommend if you haven't heard it.

Oh yeah, I love the Rainbow stuff!!!!

Holy Diver is, of course, a classic too!

We should do a best metal singers ever thread!!!!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 01:35:34 PM »

Not a big metal fan but you have gotten my interest in this.

My favorite next to the Beach Boys in terms of unhealthy level of  interest?  I've had others in the past but in recent years I have a rekindled intense interest in the Grateful Dead.  The eighties live material.  What sparked this rekindled interest?  Listening to other groups covers of Dead songs.  Then going back to the source and listening to those long plodding thunderous blues/jazz flavored live performances.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:36:40 PM by donald » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »

Oasis

Blur!!!!!!!

j/k

Ah, I miss the 90's when bands had wars with each other  Grin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »

Not a big metal fan but you have gotten my interest in this.

My favorite next to the Beach Boys in terms of unhealthy level of  interest?  I've had others in the past but in recent years I have a rekindled intense interest in the Grateful Dead.  The eighties live material.  What sparked this rekindled interest?  Listening to other groups covers of Dead songs.  Then going back to the source and listening to those long plodding thunderous blues/jazz flavored live performances.

The Dead are way up there for me too! LOVE THEM!!!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »

The Beach Boys

(huge gap)

The Beatles

(another big gap)

Cat Stevens, Elliott Smith, Red Hot Chili Peppers, NOFX, No Use For A Name, Lagwagon, Beastie Boys, Nirvana, Green Day, Rage Against The Machine, Tiger Army, Bayside, Bad Religion, Elvis, Minor Threat, Gorilla Biscuits, Shelter, Ignite...
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 01:41:38 PM »

It's hard to place any group above the Beatles, but Hall & Oates, the Moody Blues, and XTC are my more personal obsessions. Queen, ELO, Roxy Music, the High Llamas, Stereolab, Swing Out Sister, and Pizzicato Five are other bands that I love. If you include solo artists Todd Rundgren, David Bowie, and Stevie Wonder are all tops in my book.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 01:44:23 PM »

It varies so much for me.

The Beach Boys will always be my number one. But some weeks I'm really into Coldplay, other weeks I listen to nothing but Bob Dylan. Others the Doors, The Zombies, The Beatles, U2, Dennis Wilson,  Eminem, Sum 41, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Armin Van Buuren.

I'm all over the place when it comes to favorites.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »

I forgot Neil and CSN! Edit edit........and the Doors.........how could I furget??

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »

Personally, My main interest is one that can change without warning - To be perfectly honest I'm quite an excessive Oasis fan along with The Beach Boys, but don't worry, I bought the SMiLE box set before it was even officially released, so I must still have some credibility. And yes, the Beatles are up there too, but I think it's all down to obsessions for me - Beatles led to beach Boys (Pet Sounds being linked to Sgt. pepper so much), but i have no idea how I got into Oasis.... (But I seriously think its a tad excessive, but I love it!)

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 02:00:08 PM »

Along with the Beach Boys/BW; a-ha, Prefab Sprout, Tears for Fears, The Ark, Thomas Dolby -- all of whom I could write extensive essays on with gusto. Alongside Bob Dylan, Elvis, The Ronettes, The Crystals (and select other Spector artists), Ladyhawke, Donkeyboy, The Smiths and Morrissey (but I have to be in the/a mood), Glen Campbell and The High Llamas.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx