gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:27:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE A.D. v4.0: A Stereo Vocal Mix.  (Read 12501 times)
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 06:31:41 PM »

BUT...........According to the album's writer and producer, Good Vibrations was to be a part of SMiLE. Whether you like it or not. 

It's not a part of this version.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »

To me (and others here) it's a glaring omission. Another fan recently corrected this omission in his mix and I salute him for it. It caused me to finally want to go into his mix and actually listen to it, knowing pretty much of everything Brian intended for Smile was included. I regard myself as somewhat of a purist, with a little give and take, but when you take an entire track out of the mix, it looses its legitimacy for me. Argument/debate over.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2015, 06:43:28 PM »

Holy crap, has it really been 3 years since I put this out? Maaan, time flies.

Re: Good Vibrations. The best stereo version of the song is on the official stereo Smiley Smile CD. I wouldn't be improving anything by attempting my own stereo version. And that's it. It's not that I don't like the song or think it shouldn't be on SMiLE.

And... thanks for all the kind words, glad people are still finding this!
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2015, 06:56:08 PM »

Argument/debate over.  Grin

I accept your surrender. 
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2015, 06:57:13 PM »

Holy crap, has it really been 3 years since I put this out? Maaan, time flies.

Re: Good Vibrations. The best stereo version of the song is on the official stereo Smiley Smile CD. I wouldn't be improving anything by attempting my own stereo version. And that's it. It's not that I don't like the song or think it shouldn't be on SMiLE.

And... thanks for all the kind words, glad people are still finding this!

thanks for the mix, man!  Love it!   I also have your Mini Mix 2.  Is there a Mini Mix 1 somewhere online??
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »

thanks for the mix, man!  Love it!   I also have your Mini Mix 2.  Is there a Mini Mix 1 somewhere online??

Glad you like it man!

Oh yeah, here's the 1st one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OB3FmZcG7w

Pt. 2 (https://vimeo.com/39892348) is a little different - the idea of that one was to merge alternate takes of the backing tracks with the vocals to create new versions of the songs. Also did a bunch of crazy transitional work in there.

Pt. 1 was just me getting my feet wet with the overall vocal manipulation theme of the SMiLE AD projects. So, there's a chance you heard most of it already.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:07:29 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 07:05:15 PM »

Argument/debate over.  Grin

I accept your surrender. 

I didn't "surrender" at all. I (and others) did the "debate" thing about this ad nauseum with Mujan already in a previous thread. But you're bumping old threads with old posts with old mixes, seemingly to stir it up again. I remember suggesting to seltaeb1012002 that he try to mix "Good Vibrations" in stereo two or three years ago. And he did, and he included it in his Smile mix. Accolades to him for doing both.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 07:08:51 PM »

thanks for the mix, man!  Love it!   I also have your Mini Mix 2.  Is there a Mini Mix 1 somewhere online??

Glad you like it man!

Oh yeah, here's the 1st one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OB3FmZcG7w

Pt. 2 (https://vimeo.com/39892348) is a little different - the idea of that one was to merge alternate takes of the backing tracks with the vocals to create new versions of the songs. Also did a bunch of crazy transitional work in there.

Pt. 1 was just me getting my feet wet with the overall vocal manipulation theme of the SMiLE AD projects. So, there's a chance you heard most of it already.

Thanks! 
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2015, 11:14:47 PM »

To me (and others here) it's a glaring omission. Another fan recently corrected this omission in his mix and I salute him for it. It caused me to finally want to go into his mix and actually listen to it, knowing pretty much of everything Brian intended for Smile was included. I regard myself as somewhat of a purist, with a little give and take, but when you take an entire track out of the mix, it looses its legitimacy for me. Argument/debate over.  Grin

Yes, Good Vibes is a bit of a tough call for me. Personally, I don't think it fits with the rest of SMiLE. Either thematically or musically. But looking at the old interviews from Brian, it WAS going to be on the album, no question about it. Some people have similar misgivings about Sloop John B on Pst Sounds, but ultimately it was Brian's choice to include that on the album as well.

Personally, I choose to exclude GV when I'm making a personal SMiLE mix, but if I or anyone else am making an attempt at a historically accurate mix, GV *has* to be included. It's one of only two songs (the other being H&V) that Brian unquestionably declared would be on the album. That's all there is to it.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
ChildFatherMan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2021, 09:32:32 PM »

Media fire link to the .wav first half is dead. Can anyone reupload or send this to me? So insanely beautiful.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx