gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:45:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bands/Singers That The Beach Boys Influenced :)  (Read 24810 times)
Amalgamate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 09:52:44 AM »

I didn't realize how pervasive the Beach Boys' influence was until I started listening to them more seriously, and then I started hearing them everywhere!

ABBA is one that was profoundly influenced by the vocal harmonies of the Beach Boys. There's one song, "One Man One Woman," where during the second verse you can hear Benny Andersson imitate Brian Wilson's signature falsetto. ABBA was big on background harmonies juxtaposed against a lead vocal (which may itself be harmonixed), and that influence clearly comes from the BB.

Eagles is another one I didn't realize until I saw them in concert. One of the members said "the Beach Boys were pioneers. We were just settlers." And it made sense when I listened to, say, "New Kid In Town," the harmonies were certainly reminiscent of them.

For more modern artists, Lana Del Rey has gone on record as saying she's influenced by the Beach Boys. It doesn't show through on her official material much, but her laptop demos show an interest in these vocal tapestries and unusual harmonies. She's also interested in the Beach Boys as an example of Americana- she went through a phase where she was all about American flags and white trash kitsch and celebrating the South and the East and West Coasts (at separate times). Not saying she took Smile to heart or anything (though I think her desire to explore the Americana concept and the BW/VDP exploration of Americana on Smile are curious coincidences), but that they're just this Great American Band, and she self-consciously invokes a lot of that sort of imagery. Her latest single, Love, makes an explicit lyrical reference when she says "Don't worry, baby." If it were someone else, I would've written it off as just a common phrase, but coming from her, I definitely think it's on purpose.

And if you want to see how the pervasive Beach Boys harmonies are, I checked out this random track called "Eloise" by some Swedish band. Right before the final chorus, there's a section where they go "ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba" in this nasally voice, then counter it with another line, and then a Wilsonesque falsetto soaring above. You simply cannot escape their vocal influence!

I think this shows that really, it didn't matter whether they sang "it opens when I want with the cellunoid system" or "wouldn't it be nice if we were older" or "columnated ruins domino" - the magic was the vocal arrangement, and the lyrics were simply the thing you put on the vocals that gave them "meaning" because you can't have wordless tracks in this day and age. The surf and cars lyrics are a cute capsule from a prior time, and one that's not as relatable as it was then (surfing is no longer a fad, and "car culture" has changed significantly nowadays); the Tony Asher lyrics are universally relatable and cute but rather simplistic; the VDP lyrics exist outside of mortal concepts like "time" and "space" and "emotion" and are therefore both eternal and nigh-inaccessible. The music, and I mean the great vocal blend and the harmonic twists, not the surf guitar and 50s rock-and-roll chord progression - that's what's broke through all the barriers and that's their contribution to music and to popular art.

I tricked a club promoter into playing "The Elements" at a show and it was *fire*.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2017, 12:58:50 PM »

And if you want to see how the pervasive Beach Boys harmonies are, I checked out this random track called "Eloise" by some Swedish band. Right before the final chorus, there's a section where they go "ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba" in this nasally voice, then counter it with another line, and then a Wilsonesque falsetto soaring above. You simply cannot escape their vocal influence!

Amalgamate, you must mean Arvingarna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLtGZVZs32s

The arrangement generally has Beach Boys written all over it.

Oddly, another "Eloise", by Barry Ryan, has a very Beach Boyish moment at 3:25:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD9Wz7Mt160

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »

David Gilmour (from Pink Floyd) has a singing style that was very much influenced by the Beach Boys.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »

I can tell the band Colony House was influenced by The Beach Boys on their most recent album Only The Lonely.  The first thing I noticed was the album cover.  Does that font look familiar to you?

There are a lot of moments on the album that sound influenced by the boys, but the song You Know It really stands out.  It sounds a lot like I Get Around if you ask me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkfBxIH0g0k
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2017, 04:29:36 PM »

Would be better if examples were brought up with actual quotes with a source instead of just saying "they said this".
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 04:30:31 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »

I've been to see [and hear] Brian Wilson and his fantastic band quite a few times.  The Beach Boys seem to have had a degree of influence on them.  Some of the songs are dead-ringers for ones the Beach Boys recorded way back in the 60s and early 70s.  It's uncanny.   Wink

The Arbors version of The Letter.

Then ... ... ...we're off to Canada...

The 5 Man Electrical Band...back when they were known as the Staccatos.  [They even used to do excellent live medleys of the Beach Boys [and the 4 Seasons too...Ya I know...Surfer's Rule]
The Nylons.  Their God Only Knows is well worth a listen
Deja Vu.  THIS Canadian band perhaps out does the original.  It sure kicks ass.  Ray Charles did it exceptionally well too.
Another Canadian band obviously influenced by the Beach Boys?  The Heavy Blinkers.  [several albums]
Neil Young...Long May You Run.
Ian Thomas...who's had songs recorded by America, Santana, Manfred Mann just to name 3
Chilliwack  My Girl [Gone Gone Gone] and California Girl
The Guess Who......AND Randy, especially, who wrote tunes with Carl
Trooper

Then there's the Rip Chords with a couple of guys who really did the heavy lifting [and actual recording] Bruce and Terry.
There's some kind of a tribute band out there touring...what are they called?  My Glove and the Bleached Boys?  Something like that.

Yes...sometimes.  Queen sometimes.

The Beatles [BeKuz/Back in the You Ass Ass Are/Hear, Their 'n' Underwear] held sway over what bands did.  So too do the Beach Boys...right up 'til now.

But Chuck Berry has had more of an influence than our Boys and the Liverpudlian Quartet combined.  Without him?  We wouldn't be here.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:09:15 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2017, 01:27:18 PM »

Haven't seen The Who mentioned yet. And then there's The Rolling Stones : a heavy Beach Boys influence in such cuts as 'We Love You' and Dandelion'.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2017, 02:29:43 PM »

Amalgamate, you must mean Arvingarna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLtGZVZs32s

The arrangement generally has Beach Boys written all over it.

Oddly, another "Eloise", by Barry Ryan, has a very Beach Boyish moment at 3:25:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD9Wz7Mt160
Never heard of Barry Ryan, but did look him up.  Eric Carmen was influenced by the boys of course, and seemingly this, too!  I hear bits of "Eloise" in several of Eric's songs.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »

Haven't seen The Who mentioned yet.

Even Iggy Pop would agree so:

"The Beach Boys came and sang 'Fun, Fun, Fun' at Patrimonio. Is your 'No Fun' an answer to their song?

Iggy Pop: I have about three to four songs important in my life and Fun, Fun, Fun is one of them. Along with some Johnny Cash and Muddy Waters songs. The idea of fun itself is within the constitution of the United States: the pursuit of happiness. It sure was different in Detroit... but the drugs filled that! Anyway, i saw The Beach Boys in 1965 and they were genius, Listen to The Who: It's full on Beach Boys!"

(Translated this myself from an interview he did in France, July 2011)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:40:41 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »

Alas, smart a guy as he is--and he is! I've enjoyed his interviews.--Mr. Pop doesn't know his constitution. (It's in the Declaration of Independence.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2017, 05:16:40 PM »

Oh by the way, this reminds me

Of course we know how The Who harmonies are Beach Boys influenced, how Pete loves and commented on Smiley Smile, the photo of him holding the vinyl of Surfin' Safari, same with Roger attending Smile 2004 and his comments on it, etc etc

But one thing that always stood out to me in their music is the instrumental piece Sparks from the album Tommy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah66Jji74Tk
Don't you feel that the section at 2:14 there is strongly reminding a lot of that section in God Only Knows at 1:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkPy18xW1j8

Anyone??? this comparison has been stuck in my head for YEARS
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:40:41 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2017, 02:11:16 AM »

Oh by the way, this reminds me

Of course we know how The Who harmonies are Beach Boys influenced, how Pete loves and commented on Smiley Smile, the photo of him holding the vinyl of Surfin' Safari, same with Roger attending Smile 2004 and his comments on it, etc etc

But one thing that always stood out to me in their music is the instrumental piece Sparks from the album Tommy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah66Jji74Tk
Don't you feel that the section at 2:14 there is strongly reminding a lot of that section in God Only Knows at 1:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkPy18xW1j8

Anyone??? this comparison has been stuck in my head for YEARS

That's fantastic! It positively leaps out at you----once you know... Thank you!

Though it doesn't detract a whit from "Sparks". It also occurs in the brilliant "Underture"... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2017, 11:28:39 AM »

Wink Wink Thanks! glad i'm not the only one hehe

By the way, not sure if this was mentioned here before, i could bring up an ENTIRE gigantic list of people influenced, inspired or that referenced the Beach Boys or Brian Wilson (or the Wilson brothers) as i have done some deep researchs into that over the last years, but one that is always cool is Daft Punk:

They started as a band under the name of Darlin', inspired by the Beach Boys song
along with guys behind the robots in this original formation there was Laurent Brancowitz who later formed the band Phoenix, who are the ones who ended up covering Alone On Christmas, altho in an interview where they get to select their own favorite songs in general, he picked a Dennis song "Sound of Free".

But yeah, so then the Daft Punk existed, and on their first album "Homework" if you don't own it physically, well in the booklet they quote a famous Brian line from the SMiLE era, something about music and god, i forgot what it is exactly out the top of my head, so forgive me... and then, there's this big picture in it:
http://oi55.tinypic.com/14y9y55.jpg

Correct, in the middle, right there, is the Beach Boys european exclusive CD from the Good Vibrations boxset!

On that same album, there's even a song titled "Teachers" where they just namedrops their heroes, of course Brian Wilson is in it, but you probably already heard that.

Much later on, during their recording of their album "RAM" or the 2013 Grammys, i think? Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo (the one behind the yellow helmet robot) said how he arrived at the parking lot right when Brian was parking, he didn't meet him or even see him, just his car, but said that he totally freaked out on it over the idea alone that Brian Wilson was in it, haha
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:34:38 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
RadiantRadish6
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2017, 11:22:45 AM »

There's an album by a fellow named Billy Nicholls called "Would You Believe". It came out in 1968 on the Immediate label and was hailed as "The British answer to Pet Sounds". Billy was just 18 when he composed the album.  It's a remarkable album filled with Beach Boys style harmonies. Bonus: The backing band used on the album -  The Small Faces!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2017, 12:52:46 PM »

There's an album by a fellow named Billy Nicholls called "Would You Believe". It came out in 1968 on the Immediate label and was hailed as "The British answer to Pet Sounds". Billy was just 18 when he composed the album.  It's a remarkable album filled with Beach Boys style harmonies. Bonus: The backing band used on the album -  The Small Faces!

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeN5eyf7VTI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Would_You_Believe_(Billy_Nicholls_album)

According to his wiki page, Nicholls was a "longtime acquaintance and occasional collaborator with Pete Townshend", just to compete the circle, so to speak...

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2017, 02:54:30 PM »

Also Steven Tyler started as a drummer, it's only when he heard the first notes of In My Room he picked up the microphone sung it and decided to be the leader and singer.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2017, 03:32:14 PM »

You're right. Tyler, then Steven Tallarico, played drums & sang in obscure band Chain Reaction. Read this link

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx