gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:10:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bands/Singers That The Beach Boys Influenced :)  (Read 24802 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 12:57:24 AM »

Marc Bolan mentioned that Pet Sounds was a major influence around the time of 'Unicorn' although he admits that ultimately it didn't sound like it.
This is interesting to learn, Unicorn is my favorite T. Rex album, it is very Pet Soundsy in the sense that the instrumentation is a lot more varied and dense compared to the earlier releases.

The Beach Boys were Marc's favourite band.
:] proof?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2012, 01:05:52 AM »

MGMT, play BB covers, mention obscure BB songs in interviews etc.

I nearly fell out of my seat when I saw MGMT cover ADITLOAT live, was pretty crazy

They did it justice

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »

MGMT, play BB covers, mention obscure BB songs in interviews etc.

I nearly fell out of my seat when I saw MGMT cover ADITLOAT live, was pretty crazy

They did it justice
WHATTT???!! I saw them in the summer of 2010 and they didn't do it. I would've sh*t myself if they had played it.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »

Marc Bolan mentioned that Pet Sounds was a major influence around the time of 'Unicorn' although he admits that ultimately it didn't sound like it.
This is interesting to learn, Unicorn is my favorite T. Rex album, it is very Pet Soundsy in the sense that the instrumentation is a lot more varied and dense compared to the earlier releases.

The Beach Boys were Marc's favourite band.
:] proof?
Read it in a book on Marc by Mark Paytress. In an issue of The Tyrannosaurus Rex fanclub letter, both members were asked to name their favourite band. Steve Took mentioned one of the hip freaky groups of the day, Marc said The Beach Boys. Of course for all I know it may have changed over time, but in 1969 it was The Beach Boys. No prizes for guessing who his favourite solo artist was!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:29:07 PM by The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »

that's cool that Marc's favorite band is the Beach Boys, because T. Rex are probably my second or third favorite band after the Beach Boys.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
aingevt
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »

The Red Hot Chili Peppers former guitarist John Fruciante seemed to be influenced by them. They even covered I Get Around in concert (and did a decent/energetic job of it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVYhhF7bRa0

Their By The Way album had a lot of wordless falsetto ohh and ahh type background harmonies that to me just screamed Beach Boys influence. Listen to the chorus on Tear and you'll get an earful of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW0JjfqR1-s
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2012, 01:23:36 PM »

my favorite part of that era RHCP is their harmonies and stuff.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »

best t.rex song Smiley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs-L8VpUu0k
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »

The Beach Boys totally influenced Brian Wilson. Brian Wilson Presents Smile is pretty similar to a lot of Beach Boys stuff I've heard, just a little cheesier and with grating vocals.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2012, 07:45:49 AM »

Elton John.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2012, 07:57:51 AM »

Has anyone mentioned Matthew Sweet? He tends to wear his influences on his sleeve. Besides the obvious act of hiring the Wrecking Crew and trying to recreate that sound for a project, and releasing pretty spot-on 60's cover albums with Susanna Hoffs, I'll never forget watching MTV and seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z54A4aP4Luw

"Come To California"...when I heard/saw this, I couldn't believe someone was paying tribute to *that* era of the Beach Boys....it definitely wasn't as hip in the mid 90's as it might be now to wear that influence on your sleeve (which is why I liked Matthew Sweet all the more), but I think Sweet did a cool thing with this song. Mixes in "Do It Again", elements of "Love You", and even parts of the early 70's live sound...IMO.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »

Yo La Tengo!!!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2012, 09:29:01 AM »

Yo La Tengo!!!

They covered Little Honda.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

SBonilla
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »

El Perro Del Mar & Sigur Ros
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2012, 12:28:09 PM »

El Perro Del Mar & Sigur Ros

Love both. Proof? Although I can definitely hear it in the former.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »

Anyone mention the Association or Spanky and Our Gang? 
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »

Raidohead without a doubt, listen to some of the stuff on the OK COMPUTER album such as the 3:34 mark in Paranoid Android, No Surprises and Exit Music For A Film. This album is a modernized version of what I think Dennis' vision of the band would have been if he had been in charge around the PoB era.
Denny's Drums
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2012, 02:44:48 PM »

Has anyone mentioned Matthew Sweet?

I think Matthew Sweet and other power pop type performers were heavily influenced by the Beach Boys. Bands like Big Star, The Who, Cheap Trick and Todd Rundgren I'm sure were fans of Brian.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2012, 06:46:54 PM »

Raidohead without a doubt, listen to some of the stuff on the OK COMPUTER album such as the 3:34 mark in Paranoid Android, No Surprises and Exit Music For A Film. This album is a modernized version of what I think Dennis' vision of the band would have been if he had been in charge around the PoB era.
A soulless, roboticized version of Dennis.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2012, 06:50:32 PM »

A soulless, roboticized version of Dennis.
hey those robots have soooooo much soul!  Afro
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/embed/s-xD_wSSJ8U

Weezer's Holiday pins them as Beach Boys fans, besides the kickass melody and the three lyrical references to Beach Boys songs, that bridge has the kind of vibe that makes it sound like it could've been lifted from a Smiley Smile outtake.

Man I think Weezer's most BB song is The Greatest Man That Ever Lived.

http://youtu.be/TYrz-M2Zc8E

Trust  me. Give the whole song a listen. :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:01:52 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/embed/s-xD_wSSJ8U

Weezer's Holiday pins them as Beach Boys fans, besides the kickass melody and the three lyrical references to Beach Boys songs, that bridge has the kind of vibe that makes it sound like it could've been lifted from a Smiley Smile outtake.

Man I think Weezer's most BB song is The Greatest Man That Ever Lived.

http://youtu.be/TYrz-M2Zc8E

Trust  me. Give the whole song a listen. :D

One of my fave Weezer songs, I love the way it keeps changing styles.  Rock!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2017, 02:22:10 PM »

I could update this thread permises with a massive long list but it would take a whole page haha

Steve Howe of Yes has mentioned 'Surf''s Up' and 'Holland' as influences.

I've found quotes of John Wetton, not Steve Howe, mentioning Surf's Up part of the albums he listened in the day, and i think he was talking regarding Asia (altho if he listened to it at its release time and how big of an impact it was on him, natrually it would apply on to the Yes albums and King Crimson too!) and also Jon Anderson saying he's a big Beach Boys fan while speaking of their album Closer To The Edge, but Steve Howe? Holland? where? any source on that?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:42:20 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2017, 04:43:12 AM »

Song called "Mike Love Fanclub" on this - https://vimeo.com/211171585/8717e486e1 (just a short clip round 2.58) - Album out next month. Francis MacDonald is/was in Teenage Fanclub, BMX Bandits & more.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »

I hear their influence all over the place, literally just as much as I hear the Beatles influence..heck most 60's, 70's and 80's pop and 90's and 00's underground sound like they were influenced by them...at least to my ears,,,
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx