gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:36:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bands/Singers That The Beach Boys Influenced :)  (Read 24801 times)
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »

Indie rock band Foster the People. Mark Foster (lead vocalist, main songwriter) has mentioned the Beach Boys, Brian, and Pet Sounds many times in interviews. He called Pet Sounds his favorite album of all time.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 10:32:07 PM »

Flaming Lips
High Llamas
Wondermints
Explorers Club
Barenaked Ladies (That one is pretty damn obvious, seeing that they have a song called "Brian Wilson"!)
Weezer
My Bloody Valentine
The Thrills
Teenage Fanclub
Elvis Costello
Sean Lennon
Stereolab
Wilco
Tera Melos
Velvet Crush (made an album called Teenage Symphonies to God!!)
The Jayhawks
R.E.M.
Matthew Sweet

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 10:47:25 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/embed/s-xD_wSSJ8U

Weezer's Holiday pins them as Beach Boys fans, besides the kickass melody and the three lyrical references to Beach Boys songs, that bridge has the kind of vibe that makes it sound like it could've been lifted from a Smiley Smile outtake.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 11:45:47 PM »

There's this band i used to listen to a lot, but only listen to occasionally these days. Their main songwriter was influenced by the Beach Boys. They had a tribute song to Brian here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ApQtmwk-I

and he also released a cover of Warmth of the Sun here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMSHeCYg5N8
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 11:54:31 PM »

Indie rock band Foster the People. Mark Foster (lead vocalist, main songwriter) has mentioned the Beach Boys, Brian, and Pet Sounds many times in interviews. He called Pet Sounds his favorite album of all time.
also a band called "blink 182" mark hoppus is a pet sounds fanatic Smiley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 08:23:27 AM »

ABBA, Bee Gees and the Carpenters.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 08:28:11 AM »

I know they influenced The Ramones but that's like the only "well known" group i heard  that was influenced by them.

DO YOU FEEL SILLY YET??  Grin

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »

The Olivia Tremor Control
The Apples In Stereo
90% of  'Elephant 6'
Foals
Harry Nilsson
Spiritualized
Big Star
Kraftwerk
Katy Perry
The Who
The Byrds
Bruce Springsteen
John Cale
The La's
The Jesus & Mary Chain
Television
Prince
Every boy band who has multipart harmony ever.
Sufjan Stevens
Feist
Kanye West
Daniel Johnston
Iron & Wine
10cc
Fleetwood Mac
Paul McCartney

I mean, c'mon. It's not like they are some underdiscovered gem amongst musicians.

Not disagreeing with you, but I wondering what made you say Television? I'm a big fan of their work. Thanks!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »

I was fairly sure I had read somewhere that Verlaine was repping for Pet Sounds, although now you mention it, I'm struggling to remember where.  Undecided

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »

I know they influenced The Ramones but that's like the only "well known" group i heard  that was influenced by them.

DO YOU FEEL SILLY YET??  Grin
silly as a goose  Grin
Denny's Drums
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 02:49:46 PM »

Fleet Foxes - I hear a lot of wannabe-BW stuff on their albums

I think some of their stuff sounds like Smiley Smile. Also Daft Punk has said they were influenced by The Beach Boys and the members were even in a band called Darlin.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 09:05:54 PM »

When I heard Weezer's first songs getting airplay (Buddy Holly, The Sweater Song) I pegged them as influenced by the Beach Boys. The rising vocal harmony just after the guitar solo, just before the stop time guitar break on Buddy Holly...first time I heard that I remember thinking "Brian Wilson!!!" That influence has only been proven more and more over time.

I also really, really like blink-182. For pure melodic pop which is well played, full of hooks, and with lyrics that speak to what a lot of their fans are thinking and feeling, blink-182 had an incredible run which musically and lyrically reminds me of the Beach Boys from 63-64. They also had a Brian-Mike contrast in lead vocalists with Tom and Mark each bringing a unique voice to the melodies.

At the time I liked them, but now listening in retrospect I think they were one of the better bands of the 90's with some of the better songs and great pop melodies.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 09:47:50 PM »

Laugh if ya want..! CHICAGO..! They started as a Jazz pop rock band with lots of jams ..Political messages..Suites + concept albums.. They tour with BB 1975..From that point on they got more POP rock ..Still to this day..IMHO
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 12:08:01 AM »

When I heard Weezer's first songs getting airplay (Buddy Holly, The Sweater Song) I pegged them as influenced by the Beach Boys. The rising vocal harmony just after the guitar solo, just before the stop time guitar break on Buddy Holly...first time I heard that I remember thinking "Brian Wilson!!!" That influence has only been proven more and more over time.

I also really, really like blink-182. For pure melodic pop which is well played, full of hooks, and with lyrics that speak to what a lot of their fans are thinking and feeling, blink-182 had an incredible run which musically and lyrically reminds me of the Beach Boys from 63-64. They also had a Brian-Mike contrast in lead vocalists with Tom and Mark each bringing a unique voice to the melodies.

At the time I liked them, but now listening in retrospect I think they were one of the better bands of the 90's with some of the better songs and great pop melodies.

I loves me the Blink. Even the self-titled album!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 04:33:57 AM »

There Must Be Some Misunderstanding - Genesis: a Sail on Sailor vibe, to be sure
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »

Tony Banks, the brilliant songwriter/pianist of Genesis said in Record Collector magazine that Brian was his biggest inspiration, and that he wished he wrote more music during the PS/Smile-period.

Of Montreal, Kevin Barnes has been mentioning BBs and BW in several interviews, especially Smile and Pet Sounds. I think some of his early songs have a very Smile-ish sound, songs like Go Call You Mine and Maple Licorice sound very much like something Brian could've written in late '66.

Elliott Smith, mentioned Pet Sounds as the biggest inspiration for his album X/O.

Grizzly Bear, besides the obvious BB sound, guitarist and songwriter Daniel Rossen is pretty much a perfect combination between Nick Drake and Brian Wilson, I'd say. And he has mentioned them in many interviews. He even made a list (great list) in Q magazine of his favourite BB songs, mentioning songs like Til I Die, Surf's Up and Old Master Painter (!).

MGMT, play BB covers, mention obscure BB songs in interviews etc.

Wilco, don't remember where I read it but Jeff Tweedy's a big fan.

Deerhoof, I hear the influence in a lot of their music, but I don't think they've mentioned them aside from a comment about Good Vibrations being a badass song.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »

There's also the Blood, Sweat and Tears album CHILD IS FATHER TO THE MAN (1968) - given that leader Al Kooper was present for some of the early SMiLE sessions suggests how he might have been influenced to choose that title!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »

Wilco, don't remember where I read it but Jeff Tweedy's a big fan.

Just saw them last night and you can totally hear Brian's modular and experimental approach in their songs.  Wilco started out very Stonesy but they've eventually become a band that sounds like the Rolling Stones, Beatles and The Beach Boys rolled into one.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »

Fleet Foxes - I hear a lot of wannabe-BW stuff on their albums

I think some of their stuff sounds like Smiley Smile. Also Daft Punk has said they were influenced by The Beach Boys and the members were even in a band called Darlin.

BWPS, Good vibrations 2:52 - I know I've that stuff on one of their songs off the first album.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »

Marc Bolan mentioned that Pet Sounds was a major influence around the time of 'Unicorn' although he admits that ultimately it didn't sound like it.

Labi Siffre has cited 'Surf''s Up' and 'God Only Knows' as influences.

From Stackridge, Michael Evans has Brian Wilson as one of his favourite songwriters, singers and musicians. Also from Stackridge, James Warren lists The Beach Boys as an influence including 'Heroes and Villains' and the 'Surf's Up' LP.

Steve Howe of Yes has mentioned 'Surf''s Up' and 'Holland' as influences.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »

Marc Bolan mentioned that Pet Sounds was a major influence around the time of 'Unicorn' although he admits that ultimately it didn't sound like it.
This is interesting to learn, Unicorn is my favorite T. Rex album, it is very Pet Soundsy in the sense that the instrumentation is a lot more varied and dense compared to the earlier releases.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »

my father loves t. rex Smiley marc bolan is a glitter god!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »

Elliott Smith, mentioned Pet Sounds as the biggest inspiration for his album X/O.

That's funny because I also remember reading an interview he did -- I forget when it was conducted -- where he mentioned (rather much to my surprise) how he didn't really like The Beach Boys because he thought they were too happy-go-lucky or something. Guess he changed his mind at some point! Are there any interviews where he talks about the influence Pet Sounds had on him during the sessions for XO?
Paulos
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 11:47:41 PM »

Rivers Cuomo has covered Don't Worry Baby and God Only Knows, the a capella rendition of Don't Worry Baby that he does is awesome, you can find it on Youtube. I never noticed the Beach Boys influence in Weezer until I became a Beach Boys fan and upon listening to Weezer again after my conversion the influence was blindingly obvious.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 12:47:09 AM »

This is interesting to learn, Unicorn is my favorite T. Rex album, it is very Pet Soundsy in the sense that the instrumentation is a lot more varied and dense compared to the earlier releases.

The Beach Boys were Marc's favourite band.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx