gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:02:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bands/Singers That The Beach Boys Influenced :)  (Read 24806 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »

I know they influenced The Ramones but that's like the only "well known" group i heard  that was influenced by them.
what else groups were influenced by them? :]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:47:44 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »

The Olivia Tremor Control
The Apples In Stereo
90% of  'Elephant 6'
Foals
Harry Nilsson
Spiritualized
Big Star
Kraftwerk
Katy Perry
The Who
The Byrds
Bruce Springsteen
John Cale
The La's
The Jesus & Mary Chain
Television
Prince
Every boy band who has multipart harmony ever.
Sufjan Stevens
Feist
Kanye West
Daniel Johnston
Iron & Wine
10cc
Fleetwood Mac
Paul McCartney

I mean, c'mon. It's not like they are some underdiscovered gem amongst musicians.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »

The Olivia Tremor Control
The Apples In Stereo
90% of  'Elephant 6'
Foals
Harry Nilsson
Spiritualized
Big Star
Kraftwerk
Katy Perry
The Who
The Byrds
Bruce Springsteen
John Cale
The La's
The Jesus & Mary Chain
Television
Prince
Every boy band who has multipart harmony ever.
Sufjan Stevens
Feist
Kanye West
Daniel Johnston
Iron & Wine
10cc
Fleetwood Mac
Paul McCartney

I mean, c'mon. It's not like they are some underdiscovered gem amongst musicians.
i'm sure they aren't lol but kanye west?(kanyeeeeeee) cmon..and prince? & kraftwerk?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »

Very obvious ones such as
Bruce and Terry
Jan & Dean
The Hondells (Actually everything Gary Usher ever wrote pretty much!!)
and The Sunrays from the 'surf era'.

From the Pet Sounds era,
The Sunrays (again!! If they'd ever got another lp out Rick Henn was moving into very PS style productions)
The Association
Mark Eric (only ever made one record - a very blatant PS homage)

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »

Come on man, his last album at the time was bloody 808's & Heartbreaks, which so wants to be Pet Sounds, and there is he sitting next to Brian and Al just hanging out like a chill dude, which is as un-Kanye West as it gets. And I just love this picture.

I'm going to give you some time to think about how Katy Perry could possibly be influenced by The Beach Boys. There is one very obvious example.

As for Kraftwerk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-G28iyPtz0

Oh, forgot The Roots. Tweeted from the man ?uestlove himself...

“Irony of the day: gray haired gentleman in late 50s workin out to Carter 4, & me working out to The Smile Boxset next to him”

Funny how lots of people are influenced by one of the most popular bands in the world, somehow.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 10:16:27 AM »

I know they influenced The Ramones but that's like the only "well known" group i heard  that was influenced by them.
what else groups were influenced by them? :]
I think Newguy is looking for new Lou-Pearlmen produced boy bands to listen to.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:18:24 AM »

kraftwerk?

"… Hütter has also listed The Beach Boys as a major influence, which is apparent in its 1975 chart smash, Autobahn."

"… An unexpected hit on both sides of the Atlantic, Autobahn's 'fahren, fahren, fahren' refrain echoes 'Fun, Fun, Fun' by the Beach Boys (just one of Kraftwerk's unlikely influences), while the entire concept recalls Brian Wilson's frustrated attempts at creating what he called 'a pocket symphony.'"

"… As soon as you hear the childlike refrain 'We are driving driving driving on the autobahn.' you realise that Kraftwerk have won and the song is as much a riposte to the previous generation as it is a nod of respect to The Beach Boys and American driving music. ... Speaking about The Beach Boys he said: 'In their songs they managed to concentrate a maximum of fundamental ideas. In a hundred years from now when people want to know what California was like in the 60s, they only have to listen to a single by the Beach Boys.'"

SOURCES: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraftwerk#Music
http://www.amazon.com/Autobahn-Kraftwerk/dp/B000007U6V
http://thequietus.com/articles/01282-karl-bartos-interviewed-kraftwerk-and-the-birth-of-the-modern

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »

The BBoys influence is so wide-spread and pervasive, it would be nearly impossible to make a complete list of examples. They've permeated nearly every facet of pop culture during the past 1/2 century.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but this statement strikes me as silly:

Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, THE BEATLES, Beck, CSN&Y, …. the list would go on forever ….
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:27:55 AM by PongHit » Logged

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »

Fleet Foxes - I hear a lot of wannabe-BW stuff on their albums

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »

The Cowsill's "Indian Lake" and "Poor Baby" are two of the better Beach Boy inspired tunes I have heard.
Also has anyone else noticed that the late 60's to mid 70's Brian Wilson look has become very 'hip' recently?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »

The Cowsill's "Indian Lake" and "Poor Baby" are two of the better Beach Boy inspired tunes I have heard.
Also has anyone else noticed that the late 60's to mid 70's Brian Wilson look has become very 'hip' recently?
Same with the Moody Blues late 1960s look.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SBonilla
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 11:05:29 AM »

Roy Wood
Eric Carmen/Raspberries
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »

The Move with Jeff Lynne and Roy Wood

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »

Come on man, his last album at the time was bloody 808's & Heartbreaks, which so wants to be Pet Sounds, and there is he sitting next to Brian and Al just hanging out like a chill dude, which is as un-Kanye West as it gets. And I just love this picture.

I'm going to give you some time to think about how Katy Perry could possibly be influenced by The Beach Boys. There is one very obvious example.

As for Kraftwerk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-G28iyPtz0

Oh, forgot The Roots. Tweeted from the man ?uestlove himself...

“Irony of the day: gray haired gentleman in late 50s workin out to Carter 4, & me working out to The Smile Boxset next to him”

Funny how lots of people are influenced by one of the most popular bands in the world, somehow.

wtf where is the picture of him sitting next to brian at?(do you mean the we are the world session)
and wow questlove ...i heard him mention the beatles before but him being a beach boys fan is such a suprise Smiley
ok pink floyd,the who, the zombies Smiley..i heard many people speak on brian wilson as a genius. but there is other people that think the beach boys is over-rated :/ like noel gallahgher from oasis (that bastard!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:45:06 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »

"Happy Together" by The Turtles seems like it was derived from "Wouldn't It Be Nice?"

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 11:58:19 AM »

"Happy Together" by The Turtles seems like it was derived from "Wouldn't It Be Nice?"
happy together was a huge success but a complete rip-off from the beach boys sound especially (ba ba ba part) lol
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 12:03:58 PM »

Animal Collective...they sound almost identical to them, particularly Panda Bear, the group's creative force.

Also...Radiohead, specifically Thom Yorke.  He loves them.

I know the Fleet Foxes were already mentioned, but I wanted to point out in their first album's liner notes they list Brian Wilson in their "thank you" list.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:07:27 PM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »

Animal Collective...they sound almost identical to them, particularly Panda Bear, the group's creative force.

Also...Radiohead, specifically Thom Yorke.  He loves them.
yes thom yorke said he wanted "ok computer" to be "pet sounds" level as far as being a masterpiece.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 12:13:38 PM »

many famous people said many great things about pet sounds these are a few examples.

Eric Clapton stated that "All of us, Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce and I consider Pet Sounds to be one of the greatest pop LPs to ever be released. It encompasses everything that's ever knocked me out and rolled it all into one."

Paul Mccartnety stated:
 "It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life ... I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album ... I love the orchestra, the arrangements ... it may be going overboard to say it's the classic of the century ... but to me, it certainly is a total, classic record that is unbeatable in many ways ... I've often played Pet Sounds and cried. I played it to John [Lennon] so much that it would be difficult for him to escape the influence ... it was the record of the time. The thing that really made me sit up and take notice was the bass lines ... and also, putting melodies in the bass line. That I think was probably the big influence that set me thinking when we recorded Pepper, it set me off on a period I had then for a couple of years of nearly always writing quite melodic bass lines. "God Only Knows" is a big favourite of mine ... very emotional, always a bit of a choker for me, that one. On "You Still Believe in Me", I love that melody - that kills me ... that's my favourite, I think ... it's so beautiful right at the end ... comes surging back in these multi-coloured harmonies ... sends shivers up my spine."

Elton John has said of the album, "For me to say that I was enthralled would be an understatement. I had never heard such magical sounds, so amazingly recorded. It undoubtedly changed the way that I, and countless others, approached recording. It is a timeless and amazing recording of incredible genius and beauty."

Roger Waters(Pink Floyd) stated that Pet Sounds "completely changed everything about records for me."

Tom Petty stated "I think I would put him up there with any composer - especially Pet Sounds. I don't think there is anything better than that, necessarily. I don't think you'd be out of line comparing him to Beethoven - to any composer.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 01:17:56 PM »

The verse chord progression is (after the first 4 bars) is really similar to 'Good Vibrations' 1/2 verse.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »

The verse chord progression is (after the first 4 bars) is really similar to 'Good Vibrations' 1/2 verse.
And Elenore pretty much IS GV, it even has a theremin (or early moog, something going woo-woo)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »

Dave Edmunds
Teenage Fanclub
Prefab Sprout
Pernice Brothers
Ron Sexsmith
The Thrills
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »

I honestly think our time might be better spent listing groups not influenced by the group instead. This is ridiculous

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 02:43:20 PM »

I honestly think our time might be better spent listing groups not influenced by the group instead. This is ridiculous
Lets start a Four Freshmen thread or something..... Head Spin

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 08:06:28 PM »

Agreed.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx