gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680856 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 06:29:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old Man And The Sea  (Read 1411 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:25:57 AM »

Hey guys, My newest single to precede my new "Song Cycle" "Out Of The Box" has been released for streaming on Youtube, if you'd like to support
a 15 year old writer, producer, and instrumentalist, my new album and this single will be released for download in the coming months!
If you decide to buy it, I'm going to make up a "The Making Of..." booklet where I talk about each song, including the single.

Thanks, I hope you all enjoy the single and (maybe) even decide to buy it (Lossless! :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3TqyhjHr_M
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:27:56 AM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

egon spengler
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »

you should be really proud of your work, man. great job!

what's the story with the video itself? it's really cool, has a great feel to it.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »

Thanks, the video was actually a movie based off the novella, the catch is, it was entirely created from still paintings. every frame was a new painting, amazing right?!
Basically, I found it and said "THIS IS PERFECT!" and when I put it to the music, it literary fit spot on with most transitions!

Anyway thanks, good to know someone likes it :D

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »

Anyone else listen? This is coming out soon and I really would love some feedback.

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 02:04:17 PM »

What kind of feedback are you looking for, specifically?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »

Just overall, what people think of it.

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 03:30:42 PM »

I think you'll get more valuable feedback if you specify what your ambitions are. If you're making music for fun, as a way to enhance your production chops, or even to compete in some kind of student songwriting competition, you're going to need different feedback than if you want to sell and perform music professionally -- or go into, say, professional audio production.

From a musical standpoint, I'd say it's a nice little song. I like the chords and the delay effects in the chorus. The synth textures are nifty -- they remind me of BW88. And the lyrics are pretty solid too. My favorite section is the instrumental section from about 1:00-1:30. The instrumentation choices are very apt, and it's all very evocative of the image you're going for, I think.

Now, if you were asking how this competes on the level of, say, a professionally-produced studio recording, I'd say you still have a long way to go. A lot of the instrumental and vocal parts would benefit from EQ and compression, and in the case of vocals, even a little pitch correction. I hear samplers where I would like to hear real instruments. Presentation counts as well: you can't just lift some random video, without permission and without credit, with the intent of making money. Selling music is not strictly about the music -- it's the packaging, the website, even the way you write about it in the YouTube description.

But like I said, that feedback might not be relevant to you depending on what you're going for. You're a freshman in high school, right? Considering that I'd say you're heading in the right direction. Just be aware that people are going to give you different feedback -- and have different expectations for your work -- depending on how you want to be perceived.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 04:00:36 PM »

Thanks for the info.

I'd like to look at it as "15 year old on a 1,000$ budget"
Because, honesty, it's not really fair to compare it to a profesional recording by a music major, is it?

Also, the video won't be used for any monetary gain, it's just there until the artwork for the single is finished.

Well anyway, thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:44:43 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx