gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:13:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 128406 times)
Paulos
« Reply #400 on: April 01, 2012, 04:45:26 AM »

I've just had a pretty tiring journey and need some sleep as tomorrow could be a most interesting day.

Really....New album news, expanded tour, re-release news?

Or just a big day in front of the telly? Grin

Andrew is going to reveal himself to the world as Supereme Overlord Of The Known And Unknown Universes, just look at his avatar! Unfortunately, due to it being April Fools day no-one will take Andrews proclamation seriously.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 01, 2012, 07:14:50 AM »

I've just had a pretty tiring journey and need some sleep as tomorrow could be a most interesting day.

Really....New album news, expanded tour, re-release news?

Or just a big day in front of the telly? Grin

Andrew is going to reveal himself to the world as Supereme Overlord Of The Known And Unknown Universes, just look at his avatar! Unfortunately, due to it being April Fools day no-one will take Andrews proclamation seriously.

LOL he's going to announce that the new album will make TSS stink.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
PhilCohen
« Reply #402 on: April 01, 2012, 07:15:35 AM »

The Netherlands release of "Live in London"(the import that Americans encountered) had to be released 1972 or later, because, inside the gatefold sleeve, there were advertisements for other Bovema/EMI Beach Boys albums, including "Surf's Up"

In The Netherlands Live In London was originally released in March 1971. According to Dutch reviews I've read, probably either in the week of March 22-28th, or a week earlier (15-21st).
I have at least 4 different different pressings, one of them being a copy with a fold-out front, showing part of the Pet Sounds Cover, and with ads for (a.o.) the Surf's Up album. But that probably is a later pressing, which is apparently the one you also have, Phil.

Yes, the pressing that I have is the one with the fold-out front.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 01, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »

Here are the ones I have.  Back in the mid 70's, the first two were fairly difficult to find new in record stores.

http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Live-In-London/release/607442

http://www.musicstack.com/item/143491659

http://www.musicstack.com/item/213560412

http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Live-In-London/release/1943881

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 01, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »

the second one (with the Pet Sounds pic) is available in 2 variations: one as a fold out (the 1970 pic being the part that folds out) and one with a standard cover (same layout, but in one piece).  (EDIT: must admit that I can't find the standard cover right away in my collection, but I'm sure it exists)

Live In London can be found in many variations. Unique covers from the UK, Germany, Australia, and South Africa.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:23:05 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 01, 2012, 09:40:36 AM »

Can't remember if I've ever seen one without the gatefold sleeve (w/Pet Sounds). Just remember I couldn't find ANY copy of Live In London in the Bay Area and ended up finding one at Peaches Records in Los Angeles. That's all they had was ONE. And this was around '74 or '75, not that long after the release!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 01, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »

Whatever, it's late here, I've just had a pretty tiring journey and need some sleep as tomorrow could be a most interesting day.

Hmmm....It was posted early morning Uk time yet it is 'late here'.

He's a party animal and just got home.
or
He's visiting Phil (where ever he is) to 'discuss a few matters!'
or
He's in LA. Liner notes for re-releases or such? Taking over falsetto from Jeff and Matt?

Funny sort of comment IMO. And thats from a guy who has said a few! LOL
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:26:51 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 02, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »

Capitol's Wall of Secrecy is a bit like the Cone of Silence.

More like the "Cohen of Silence"......

hardee hardee har har har

"sorry about that, Chief!"

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 03, 2012, 08:29:11 AM »

If there's not a "Cohen of Silence", then there's definitely a Cohenspiracy here.

Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: April 10, 2012, 07:24:06 AM »

Ok let's break the silence

Yesterday, the ninth of april I heard an alt mix of Surfin' Safari on the Dutch radio 1.

listen here: http://nos.nl/radiouitzending/9579-met-het-oog-op-morgen-2300-uur.html

42:42 to 45:38 = almost 3 minutes long!

Alt mix means including overdubbed new instruments.
Now my question is: Has anybody heard this, is this a remix by an outsider, or is this an official part of a forthcoming 'commemorative release'?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:27:04 AM by Jaco » Logged
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: April 10, 2012, 07:28:08 AM »

Thanks for the link!

or is this an official part of a forthcoming 'commemorative release'?

please no!

Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 10, 2012, 07:45:03 AM »

Ok let's break the silence

Yesterday, the ninth of april I heard an alt mix of Surfin' Safari on the Dutch radio 1.

listen here: http://nos.nl/radiouitzending/9579-met-het-oog-op-morgen-2300-uur.html

42:42 to 45:38 = almost 3 minutes long!

Alt mix means including overdubbed new instruments.
Now my question is: Has anybody heard this, is this a remix by an outsider, or is this an official part of a forthcoming 'commemorative release'?

I think that's definitely an outside job. None of those overdubs sound like real instruments, it's like a karaoke backing track. Horrible, just horrible. What do the presenters say just before they play the track?
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: April 10, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »

before: they talk about the american politics, and after: they talk about a surf museum in Great Brittain.

& she only said: these were the Beach Boys, of course
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:59:00 AM by Jaco » Logged
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 10, 2012, 08:18:29 AM »

before: they talk about the american politics, and after: they talk about a surf museum in Great Brittain.

& she only said: these were the Beach Boys, of course

Oh right thanks for that! Weird that they would play that instead of the original though! Probably just a mistake by somebody at the station I guess.
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: April 10, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »

I don't know... it's not a station that would play very obscure mixes, and...

maybe this was done around the time of that other overdub session: the 'new' Do It Again.

I wouldn't be surprised if that piano was played by Scott Bennett. That glissando on the keys is his style.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »

Sounds like they took the vocal from an early take of the song and added modern music to make it sound decent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiEgYq1PxdU

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 10, 2012, 08:56:28 AM »

I can't imagine that remix being on the new cd,let's be honest if they do a remix it will end up being something with a dance beat,rap/techno,this sounds like a fan mix and sounds real cheesy..
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 10, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »

The fact that the song is extended via a bad edit back to the second chorus (the rest just repeats) demonstrates how amateurish this track is. Perhaps a test edit for a Beach Boys Rock Band game?  Razz
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: April 10, 2012, 02:59:58 PM »

...or is this an official part of a forthcoming 'commemorative release'?

I sincerely hope you're joking when you say that. If not then it's the flat-out dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on any BW board, at any time, any where.  Angry

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 10, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »

Although I frequently checked for Beach Boys product at record stores in the early 70s, i was unaware of the existence of Live in London until sometime in 1972 when a friend bought a copy of the Netherlands pressing at an independent record store.  I rushed over to the store to get a copy as well, but they said they had no more.  They told me they would attempt to get one for me, but both they and the other record stores I contacted were unable to do.  It would be around a year or two later when I finally procured my own copy, which was of the UK pressing. 

I do recall that there was a period of time when the major US record companies discouraged record stores from carrying imports, I think by claiming that the US companies alone had the rights to distribute products in the US by artists who were under contract to those companies.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: April 10, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »

I sincerely hope you're joking when you say that. If not then it's the flat-out dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on any BW board, at any time, any where.  Angry

Looks like AGD had nails for breakfast again.   Afro

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: April 11, 2012, 07:13:05 AM »

Looks like AGD had nails for breakfast again.   Afro

Nah, just pointing out that anyone who seriously thinks that pile of sh*t would be on an official 50th anniversary release either needs hearing aids or shouldn't be out in the community without a minder.

I've heard it before somewhere a few years ago.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 12, 2012, 09:09:02 PM »

Just spotted that a download-only remastered version of the Surfin' Safari album is scheduled to become available at Amazon Uk on April 19. Don't think this is legit in the usual way and wonder if it's down to a copyright expiry? Is Capitol in danger of dropping a ball? (I somehow doubt it...)

No bonus tracks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007KT5V76/

“We live in divisive times.”
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 12, 2012, 09:38:48 PM »

Just spotted that a download-only remastered version of the Surfin' Safari album is scheduled to become available at Amazon Uk on April 19. Don't think this is legit in the usual way and wonder if it's down to a copyright expiry? Is Capitol in danger of dropping a ball? (I somehow doubt it...)

No bonus tracks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007KT5V76/

Hmm that looks very bootleg-esque.

But anyways, since there hasn't been much in the way of news lately, what does everybody think we will get as far as the "commemorative releases" besides the box set. I would love for another compilation like Endless Harmony to come out with a bunch of totally previously unreleased songs, but I somewhat get the feeling that they will probably just use the best unreleased material that is still in the can on the box set.

I also think there is the possibility that maybe we get new special editions of certain albums, most likely Sunflower and Surf's Up, as I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in a Linnett/Boyd interview as a possibility. And if they had to choose albums to do two-disc special editions, those are likely the ones I would pick, as there is supposedly some prime material to choose from, with things like "I'm Going Your Way" and "Where Is She" from Sunflower and stuff like "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" and probably some other cool stuff for Surf's Up.

Therefore, I gotta say that either a rarities compilation or deluxe editions of a few classic albums is within reason.

Then less realistically, I kinda was hoping that they would reissue the groups entire discography on standalone CDs. However as over a quarter of the year has gone by since the announcement, I just kinda get the feeling that they won't do that, especially as non "hits" albums by The Beach Boys besides Pet Sounds and SMiLE probably won't shift that many copies, especially compared to other Capitol/EMI artists like The Beatles and Pink Floyd. However, if they actually did re-release all the albums on their own with bonus tracks, that would probably be the best thing we could wish for. I doubt it though.

It's fun to dream at least. Hopefully we'll hear some news on the tracklist and title of the new studio album soon, and also some updates on the catalog releases, so we will be able to more realistically assess what might be coming our way.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:09:41 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #424 on: April 13, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »

(deleted by author)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:59:02 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx