gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:34:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 128430 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #375 on: March 30, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »

Many sources may describe "Wild Honey" as a December 1967 release, but it wasn't available in my area until January 1968.

Including the Capitol Records release sheet for the week ending December 24th 1967: it was released on Monday the 18th.

But, in the 1960's in the U.S.A., even after an album's official release date, there would be a few weeks where you could hear an album's featured single on the (AM) radio, but the album would not(in reality) be available to purchase. This may(or may not) have been because the sellers of records were (typically) department stores during those days. In most parts of the U.S.A.(excepting New York City & Los Angeles), dedicated record stores began to appear simultaneous with the emergence of rock music on FM radio in late 1968; stations which played album tracks & "underground" music. I would know about these things, having lived during that era. I'm the same age as AGD.
We had Tower Records in Sacramento.  They stocked things in a timely fashion.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: March 30, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »

Phil, a point for you to ponder: why do you think last year I was so sure you were 100% wrong concerning every last thing you claimed or theorised about The Smile Sessions (and was proven correct) ?

Got an answer ?  Good. Now apply that to the current situation you've got your shorts in a knot about (again) and you'll understand why I'm laughing fit to bust every time you hit the Eeyore button.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 30, 2012, 11:45:24 AM »

Edit.  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:50:17 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 30, 2012, 11:48:32 AM »

We had Tower Records in Sacramento.  They stocked things in a timely fashion.

Two Tower Records in Sac. One on Broadway and one on Watt. My Beatles butcher cover came from the one on Broadway. So did my stack of "BB Making of Holland" books. Use to go to this used record store on 9th St. too. And one at 804 'K' Street in the mall. And one on Alhambra. There was a Beach Boys Concert program from '64 for sale in the 9th St. store. My friend asked to look at it, and the guy behind the counter said, "Careful turning the pages, the staples are rusted and it might fall apart".   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SBonilla
« Reply #379 on: March 30, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »

We had Tower Records in Sacramento.  They stocked things in a timely fashion.

Two Tower Records in Sac. One on Broadway and one on Watt. My Beatles butcher cover came from the one on Broadway. So did my stack of "BB Making of Holland" books. Use to go to this used record store on 9th St. too. And one at 804 'K' Street in the mall. And one on Alhambra. There was a Beach Boys Concert program from '64 for sale in the 9th St. store. My friend asked to look at it, and the guy behind the counter said, "Careful turning the pages, the staples are rusted and it might fall apart".   Grin
Actually, there were three. There was one in South Sac. Was the shopping center called Southgate (On Florin Road, I believe)? Anyway, I rode my bike there to buy Blonde On Blonde, the day it came out.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 30, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »

Yeah, the third Tower didn't open up until the mid-80's though.

When I was a little kid, I use to live in Southgate, in Parkway Estates off Florin Rd. near the mall.  This was when the first three Beach Boys albums were out and when they first played the Memorial Auditorium.

PhilCohen
« Reply #381 on: March 30, 2012, 06:10:26 PM »

Has Christmas been cancelled guys? It's just that I haven't received a list of the presents I should be getting yet and I get the impression there some Wall of Secrecy going on. Anyone know the date? Maybe it's been bumped into 2013?

"Wall of Secrecy" heh heh heh

Why not the Cone of Silence??

Evil

For those of you who don't know, The Cone of Silence is a reference to the 1960's comedy program "Get Smart", a comedy-spoof of James Bond-type thrillers, starring Don Adams as Agent Maxwell Smart. When Agent Smart and his superiors were at a meeting and they got underneath the Cone of Silence, no one could hear what anyone else was saying, rendering communication impossible.

Capitol's Wall of Secrecy is a bit like the Cone of Silence.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: March 31, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »

Has Christmas been cancelled guys? It's just that I haven't received a list of the presents I should be getting yet and I get the impression there some Wall of Secrecy going on. Anyone know the date? Maybe it's been bumped into 2013?

Evil

For those of you who don't know, The Cone of Silence is a reference to the 1960's comedy program "Get Smart", a comedy-spoof of James Bond-type thrillers, starring Don Adams as Agent Maxwell Smart. When Agent Smart and his superiors were at a meeting and they got underneath the Cone of Silence, no one could hear what anyone else was saying, rendering communication impossible.

In as much as both are entirely fictional constructs, I completely agree with you.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 31, 2012, 12:50:33 AM »

Evil

In as much as both are entirely fictional constructs, I completely agree with you.

It's like water off a troll's back.

“We live in divisive times.”
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 31, 2012, 01:02:28 AM »

I don't know how many times I need to say it, we desperately need a suicide emoticon.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: March 31, 2012, 01:50:22 AM »

I don't know how many times I need to say it, we desperately need a suicide emoticon.

That or the return of the 'ignore' button.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 31, 2012, 02:41:02 AM »

I wonder if we got you and Phil together in the same room we'd see a good ol' fashioned fist fight.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 31, 2012, 03:09:04 AM »

I wonder if we got you and Phil together in the same room we'd see a good ol' fashioned fist fight.

In the mud. Yes! I don't know about their pugilistic skills, however...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: March 31, 2012, 03:33:54 AM »

Someone once challenged a writer - the name Voltaire comes to mind - to a duel over something he'd written. His response was along the lines of:

"Very well, since you have challenged me I have the choice of weapons: I choose words. You're dead."  Grin

Or as a tshirt someone gave me years ago put it, "I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent".
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:36:11 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 31, 2012, 07:46:37 AM »

More like the "Cohen of Silence"......

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: March 31, 2012, 08:29:45 AM »

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 31, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »

Looks like AGD's speechless for once!

Allow me:

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Grin LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Cheesy LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 31, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »

Evil

Your off your wig!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 31, 2012, 11:54:30 AM »

Evil

Your off your wig!

Who isn't these days. Governmental corruption, economic disaster, environmental catastrophe, Wilsonian conspiracy. Choose your poison my friend.

PhilCohen
« Reply #394 on: March 31, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »

Evil

Your off your wig!

Who isn't these days. Governmental corruption, economic disaster, environmental catastrophe, Wilsonian conspiracy. Choose your poison my friend.

Wilsonian conspiracy? More like Capitol(records) punishment.

* Note: The original meaning of the phrase "Capitol Punishment" was Mike Love's description of The Beach Boys' harsh 3 albums per year 1960's recording contract. In the 1960's,the group found clever ways of dealing with the situation: 3 "Best of" L.P.'s, two concert albums, a Christmas Album, a Karaoke album, and a sloppy acoustic hootenanny sing-along album. In fact, it would appear that with "Stack O Tracks", that The Beach Boys invented Karaoke. As for "Live in London", you'll remind me that it wasn't released until 1972(in Holland) & 1976(in the U.S.A.). That's correct, but the recordings themselves were from 1968, and it would appear that the reason why Capitol were ultimately permitted to release it, was so that the group could avoid giving another studio album to Capitol.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: March 31, 2012, 03:15:02 PM »

Note: The original meaning of the phrase "Capitol Punishment" was Mike Love's description of The Beach Boys' harsh 3 albums per year 1960's recording contract. In the 1960's,the group found clever ways of dealing with the situation: 3 "Best of" L.P.'s, two concert albums, a Christmas Album, a Karaoke album, and a sloppy acoustic hootenanny sing-along album. In fact, it would appear that with "Stack O Tracks", that The Beach Boys invented Karaoke. As for "Live in London", you'll remind me that it wasn't released until 1972(in Holland) & 1976(in the U.S.A.). That's correct, but the recordings themselves were from 1968, and it would appear that the reason why Capitol were ultimately permitted to release it, was so that the group could avoid giving another studio album to Capitol.

You do write some alarming old tosh for someone who's been involved with the music biz, don't you ?

Firstly, the three Best Of... were the idea of Capitol, not the band, so bang goes your premise on that point. Secondly, Live In London was originally released in May 1970, in the UK, but was handed to Capitol in the US in early 1970 (it was mixed at the Tower in late January that year) in lieu of the Reverberation album the band had prepared for their final Capitol offering but decided to hang on to to use as a basis for the first Reprise release. For whatever reason (probably the fact that it didn't chart in the UK), Capitol declined to release it until 1976.

PhilCohen
« Reply #396 on: March 31, 2012, 07:06:48 PM »

Note: The original meaning of the phrase "Capitol Punishment" was Mike Love's description of The Beach Boys' harsh 3 albums per year 1960's recording contract. In the 1960's,the group found clever ways of dealing with the situation: 3 "Best of" L.P.'s, two concert albums, a Christmas Album, a Karaoke album, and a sloppy acoustic hootenanny sing-along album. In fact, it would appear that with "Stack O Tracks", that The Beach Boys invented Karaoke. As for "Live in London", you'll remind me that it wasn't released until 1972(in Holland) & 1976(in the U.S.A.). That's correct, but the recordings themselves were from 1968, and it would appear that the reason why Capitol were ultimately permitted to release it, was so that the group could avoid giving another studio album to Capitol.

You do write some alarming old tosh for someone who's been involved with the music biz, don't you ?

Firstly, the three Best Of... were the idea of Capitol, not the band, so bang goes your premise on that point. Secondly, Live In London was originally released in May 1970, in the UK, but was handed to Capitol in the US in early 1970 (it was mixed at the Tower in late January that year) in lieu of the Reverberation album the band had prepared for their final Capitol offering but decided to hang on to to use as a basis for the first Reprise release. For whatever reason (probably the fact that it didn't chart in the UK), Capitol declined to release it until 1976.

The Netherlands release of "Live in London"(the import that Americans encountered) had to be released 1972 or later, because, inside the gatefold sleeve, there were advertisements for other Bovema/EMI Beach Boys albums, including "Surf's Up"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: March 31, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »

Not denying that, but the UK release - which you seem to be completely unaware of as you didn't mention it ("As for "Live in London", you'll remind me that it wasn't released until 1972(in Holland) & 1976(in the U.S.A.).") - came out two years earlier and was definitely available on import shortly after in the States.

Whatever, it's late here, I've just had a pretty tiring journey and need some sleep as tomorrow could be a most interesting day.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:40:16 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 01, 2012, 02:51:29 AM »

The Netherlands release of "Live in London"(the import that Americans encountered) had to be released 1972 or later, because, inside the gatefold sleeve, there were advertisements for other Bovema/EMI Beach Boys albums, including "Surf's Up"

In The Netherlands Live In London was originally released in March 1971. According to Dutch reviews I've read, probably either in the week of March 22-28th, or a week earlier (15-21st).
I have at least 4 different different pressings, one of them being a copy with a fold-out front, showing part of the Pet Sounds Cover, and with ads for (a.o.) the Surf's Up album. But that probably is a later pressing, which is apparently the one you also have, Phil.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 01, 2012, 03:05:34 AM »

I've just had a pretty tiring journey and need some sleep as tomorrow could be a most interesting day.

Really....New album news, expanded tour, re-release news?

Or just a big day in front of the telly? Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx