gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:35:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Track Talk #1: Add Some Music  (Read 9942 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 09:52:54 PM »

In another thread I've mentioned the professor in Indiana University (the one in Indiana not Pennsylvania) who later this month will start teaching, for a whole semester, a course devoted to the Beach Boys. He could easily devote a class or two to examining Add Some Music. It holds up to that kind of intensive analysis as well as a Bach cantata. Easily one of the BBs four or five greatest achievements. And the fact that Brian persuaded the guys to put it in pole position in the second set leads me to think he agrees.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 09:58:30 PM »

And how about the nod to Uncle Phil at the end?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 11:41:08 PM »

Great song.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 11:43:36 PM »

For all the facility of the instrumental arrangement, there's barely a song at the heart of this – it's a custom-built vehicle for the voices.

This pretty much sums up my feelings about this song. The arrangement is great and the singing is lovely, but it's not that great a song.

...though I have to admit, when I saw them do this live, gathered around Brian's piano, it was one of the more moving parts of the concert.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »

Nice song for driving the car. Use to sing along it while on the road traveling.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SBonilla
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 04:03:38 AM »

...the response "dum dum dum, dum dee doooo"

Is a quote from Roy Orbison's "Only Lonely."
SBonilla
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 04:14:58 AM »

...and the incredible middle 8 (or whatever you'd call it) -

It's called the Bridge. Many (most, I'd say) writers stick stick to the 8 bar bridge formula. Caroline No has a five bar bridge. James Brown's bridges are unto themselves.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 04:19:38 AM »

James Brown's bridges are unto themselves.

Testify!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
jawilsh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 05:17:24 AM »

Why I mentioned all this? Because the song that can be given such nomination as "underrated" is Add Some Music. I see why many of you don't like the lyrics saying they're corny, clumsy and other related words. As for me they're filled with innocence & positivity, give happy mood and imo they're not so simple as they seem.        

I have always thought the lyrics had more depth to them than they might initially seem.  Sitting at the Jones Beach concert this summer with my eyes closed allowing myself to be immersed in the harmonies, lyrics, soul of the song was a tremendous experience personally.
SBonilla
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 05:17:53 AM »

Another musical quote is The Cadillacs' "Speedoo," which pops up in a couple of different ways during the song. The 'bop bop a diddle it,' backgrouind vocal riff is sung in harmony between verses. It also appears midway through of the bridge (underneath 'your lonely soul') as a bass vocal part.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 10:08:28 AM »

The "music is in my soul" line is an amazing piece of harmony.

The only thing I don't like about the song is that Dennis doesn't get a vocal solo like everyone else. They could have cut back on Mike or Bruce's part to give him a line. I know (thanks to his own songwriting) that Sunflower features more Dennis leads than any other except LA (two solo, two shared with Carl), but it just seems strange everybody gets a turn except Dennis.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »

I guess there's a risk that the board will be littered with threads on every recording within a day or so but maybe, if we wait for one thread to peter off before starting another, it might work.

Good idea for a thread.  We do this at a Stones board that I'm on.  I think the only way for it to really work is if you take control of the threads yourself.  There's no rush to get through all the songs right away...so we should take our time with each thread and not feel the need to post a new one so quickly.  On the Stones board, one person took the lead on the threads and posts a new thread probably once every couple weeks..but usually once a month.  The threads have been going on for a few years now and since they've been coming in at a very comfortable pace---they haven't litered the board or annoyed any members.

Just a suggestion....
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 10:18:44 AM »

A nice song on a good album.

The trade off of lines by the individuals and then the harmonies (which is the trademark of the group) fit together well here.

I like how the lyrics tie in with the title - cite the many places where music is added to your day.

When they did this in the reunion concert - gathering around the piano, trading off the lines, just looking relaxed and being like friends getting together to sing a few songs as people do at perhaps at a party or the like - that was a great concept and made the performance of that song all the more meaningful.

BTW, this concept of track talk is a great idea - looking forward to reading about people's comments on the songs and learning some insights from those with the know...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 10:50:25 AM »

The only thing I don't like about the song is that Dennis doesn't get a vocal solo like everyone else. They could have cut back on Mike or Bruce's part to give him a line. I know (thanks to his own songwriting) that Sunflower features more Dennis leads than any other except LA (two solo, two shared with Carl), but it just seems strange everybody gets a turn except Dennis.
I used to feel that way too. It took hearing an a cappella vocal mix of ASMTYD before I realized how prominent Dennis' voice is in the song. Every time they roll around to the chorus Dennis actually has a recurring vocal line in the round of "Add Some, add some, add some music to your day". He's there, very clearly, its a cool part. He pops in at 0:31-0:33, 1:07-1:09, 1:42-1:45 and 3:01-3:03. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBkA4-U4MPk
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:57:25 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 11:30:45 AM »

Thanks, Jon. I couldn't tell that was Dennis. I still think it would have been good to have him sing a more prominent part, but it's nice you picked him out of the mix.

Of course, the one who got screwed vocally on Sunflower was Al. I'm surprised Bruce sang the Brian-Al song At My Window while he had already sung his own songs.
3 Brothers
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeaJ6ns_lF4

Here's the link to the a cappella version being discussed.  Simply beautiful and amazing.  You can clearly here Dennis throughout the song.  I could listen to this all day... and sometimes do!

I used to feel that way too. It took hearing an a cappella vocal mix of ASMTYD before I realized how prominent Dennis' voice is in the song. Every time they roll around to the chorus Dennis actually has a recurring vocal line in the round of "Add Some, add some, add some music to your day". He's there, very clearly, its a cool part. He pops in at 0:31-0:33, 1:07-1:09, 1:42-1:45 and 3:01-3:03. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBkA4-U4MPk
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 11:24:24 AM »

This would be an interesting track for one of Desper's study videos... just sayin'.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 04:34:19 PM »

Here's a link to the IU BB class (apologies if this has already been posted in the other thread):

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/22892.html

I think a large portion of Sunflower would be a fruitful area of exploration for future clips from Mr. Desper and Will C.

Of course, the song that would be most interesting of all would (methinks) be "Surf's Up."

I think with "Add Some Music" that WB was hoping that the chorus would put the song over for the public. Great chorus, great bridge, but the verses are really not quite up to the same level. Then again, I don't think anything the BB's did could have put over for the public in 1970--at least not in the U.S.
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 05:56:40 PM »

'Country Air' for next song to discuss? Anyone?

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 07:03:44 PM »

Sorry.  I had to.

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »

Sorry.  I had to.

Looks like he could be the guy who's bookending Spector's cell with Zeppo.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:48:43 PM by rn57 » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 12:09:11 AM »

Sorry.  I had to.

It took me ages to realize rn57 was not talking about this Uncle Phil. It actually happened just now - before, I had no idea if he was referring to this Uncle Phil or someone else.

I've tried to get into this song numerous times, but it just doesn't do much for me at all. Brian's "When day is over" part makes me tear up just a bit occasionally because he just sounds that good, the lyrics are really nice and I can recognize why it's a good song (and the reunion performances of it have been so cool), but otherwise I just can't get into it. It may be one of those instances where I can tell a song is good but have yet to hear a version I liked. WHOKNOZ

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx