gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680827 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:37:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leaving This Town is absolutely epic.  (Read 3931 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:35:29 PM »

Especially the version on In Concert, I think it might be one of the most underrated Beach Boys songs and it shows that had Fataar and Chaplin stayed with the group longer, they really could have done some great things.  The chord progression sort of reminds me of Pink Floyd's "The Great Gig in the Sky."  It's really a beautiful song and Blondie did a great job singing it.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »

The In Concert version also sustains that beautiful tag that fades out all too soon on the album version. In Concert was one of first BB's albums, for some reason, and I always really liked it!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »

Especially the version on In Concert, I think it might be one of the most underrated Beach Boys songs and it shows that had Fataar and Chaplin stayed with the group longer, they really could have done some great things.  The chord progression sort of reminds me of Pink Floyd's "The Great Gig in the Sky."  It's really a beautiful song and Blondie did a great job singing it.

Leaving This Town...Fabulous epic song, one of my favorites, on the Concert album...

Rhonda, Sail On, Sailor, You Still Believe in Me, Don't Worry Baby...ordered beautifully...

Every song a winner!

BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »

It truly is epic, the In Concert version is pretty heavy and the band has never sounded cooler. The live performance of We Got Love is also stellar and you can't help but lament it's absence on Holland. As mentioned if Blondie and Ricky stayed on board throughout the seventies we may have been sparred the audio vomit that is 15 Big Ones, M.I.U. Album and LA.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »

I love the middle section, esp. the In Concert version.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 06:37:35 PM »

In Concert is just a great album all around.... Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Denny's Drums
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »

The In Concert version also sustains that beautiful tag that fades out all too soon on the album version.

Did Bruce Johnston contribute to the tag on the album fade out?, I always thought I heard his voice on that.  Undecided
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 09:05:09 PM »

I don't think Bruce was on Holland.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »

but I COMPLETELY, COMPLETELY agree that Leaving This Town is epic! Leaving This Town (especially the live version) is my favorite Beach Boys song of the moment actually. I might hold up a "PLAY LEAVING THIS TOWN" sign when I go to the reunion shows, that's how serious I am about loving this song.

Leaving This Town and Loving This Song are actually pretty similar, it's almost like it was destiny!

Leaving This Town
Loving This Song

SEE? I wish I had a band that were influenced only by this song. All our songs would be inferior attempts to replicate the glory and feeling of wonder and amazement of Leaving This Town.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »

Actually, per Bruce's own admission the only BB album he wasn't on was MIU. I wish I could remember which song he was on on Holland, though!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:37:27 AM »

Sounds like him on the tag to me too...always has.
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 03:15:12 AM »

I had the In Concert version on a mix CD on my local pub jukebox 10 years ago.  Once someone asked if it was Ocean Colour Scene.
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 04:21:04 AM »

Let's not forget Carl's now timeless and immortal singing on "Let The Wind Blow" off of In Concert.

Truly In Concert is one of THE Best live LP's ever recorded.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 04:22:42 AM »

I had the In Concert version on a mix CD on my local pub jukebox 10 years ago.  Once someone asked if it was Ocean Colour Scene.

And did you strike them dead with the fury of a thousand suns?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 05:59:46 AM »

It truly is epic, the In Concert version is pretty heavy and the band has never sounded cooler. The live performance of We Got Love is also stellar and you can't help but lament it's absence on Holland. As mentioned if Blondie and Ricky stayed on board throughout the seventies we may have been sparred the audio vomit that is 15 Big Ones, M.I.U. Album and LA.

The live verision of WGL is far superior to the studio version, which was pretty limp and rightly ditched from Holland, IMHO.

“We live in divisive times.”
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 09:00:32 AM »

Does anyone besides me think this song (and Funky Pretty as well, for that matter) is dreadful?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 09:15:05 AM »

Does anyone besides me think this song (and Funky Pretty as well, for that matter) is dreadful?
Nope! Both are better live on the In Concert album, but neither are dreadful.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »

Actually, per Bruce's own admission the only BB album he wasn't on was MIU. I wish I could remember which song he was on on Holland, though!

He's on California.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 04:33:05 PM »

^ That's it....thanks!

LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:14 PM »

Not me.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »

Truly In Concert is one of THE Best live LP's ever recorded.

God, the Don't Worry Baby on there is cosmic.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »

I have always had a special place in my heart for You Still Believe In Me. And that includes Dennis' speaking after the song.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »

Not me.

Maybe not a popular opinion to have but I almost prefer the live version of Funky Pretty over the studio version.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:55:47 PM by BananaLouie » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 05:49:41 PM »

Not quite. But damn near.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 05:52:52 PM »

I have always had a special place in my heart for You Still Believe In Me. And that includes Dennis' speaking after the song.

That's one thing I found frustrating about the In Concert album, it's a double record and there are no Dennis Wilson compositions or any songs with Dennis on lead, seems blasphemous considering the great material he wrote around the time of CATP and Holland. The bits of Dennis speaking to the crowd between songs makes me want to hear more of him and there was a performance during those 72/73 concerts of Help Me Rhonda with Dennis on lead, makes you wonder why it wasn't included.  Undecided

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx