gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:08:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Lyrics Thread: post the gauchest lyrics u got  (Read 15191 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2012, 10:37:16 PM »

This is a thread about your "favourite" mismatched, creepy, or just plain shitty lyrics by this wonderful band The Beach Boys. Because we want this thread to have content, at least try to explain why you're choosing your lyrics and what you "like" about them, jerks. Go!

As for mismatched -- by this I mean the lyrics and the backing music don't seem to work well together -- I think I'd have to go with either "Student Demonstration Time" (which would probably double for gauche/shitty too) or "Salt Lake City". Why? With the former, Mike takes what is actually a pretty rockin' backing track that doesnt seem (to me) forced, and throws some amazingly insulting lyrics over it about how you shouldn't engage in protesting because you might get hurt, so you should just go 'way until it's done and keep safe. Yeah, f*** you, milquetoast liberal! The latter because "Salt Lake City" has a really fantastic backing track (hmm, this surely seems like it'd be a common theme...) with lyrics about going to Salt Lake City, Utah, its cool teens and their places to hang out, and the jumpin' radio station they have. Come on, Mike/Brian. We know you're both more ambitious than that!

Creepy? Well, take your pick: "Lazzy Lizzie" for Brian's leering at (at most?) high school girls on their walk home in his van; "Hey Little Tomboy" for being obviously sexist and offensively heteronormative; I think "Never Learn Not To Love" is a creepy song because its idea of love is pretty unhealthy, but we know who wrote that and I suppose it shouldn't be surprising...

As much as I love Love You it does of course have some abysmal lyrics on it: "Love Is A Woman" is my chief culprit, but "I Want To Pick You Up" isn't too far behind -- probably thanks to Dennis's creepy-sounding vocal! I think some of the problem is that much of the subject matter had, of course, been touched on by the group before in comparatively much more sophisticated ways -- for instance, "Kiss Me Baby" compared to "The Night Was So Young". (This isn't necessarily bad though since I obviously love that song despite how "basic" it is -- and it's a nice window into 1976-77 era Brian, of course, especially getting this "updated" perspective.)

Anyway now you can post lyrics you think are creepy/gauche/mismatched/that you dislike for whatever reason (keyword being: reason; explain why!)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:42:17 AM »

Maybe the Love You lyrics are a lot easier to swallow if you're not a native speaker. At least that's the impression I get, as I personally don't mind ANY of the lyrics on that album, in fact I think for the most part they're very effective (if a little bit awkward at times, I'll admit that), whereas even some of the more hardcore BW/BB fans don't seem to ever grow tired of pointing out just how bad or creepy they think that lyrical material is.

Personally I think that particular writing style is a very nice and intriguing contrast to the kind of widespread lyrical pretension that the seventies had brought through musical genres such as progressive rock (which imho had its genuine high points too, mind you). To a certain extent the group had embraced that on the Surf's Up LP and I think with the help of Jack Rieley they did very well, but this was several years later and I'm glad BW tried an entirely new (and very personal) approach by 1976/77.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:43:19 AM by phirnis » Logged
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:01:58 AM »

That section of Got to Know the Woman. c'mon c'mon and do the chicken. could have been filled with something a little less corny. but hey maybe it wasn't corny back in 1970. but i still can't listen to that without feeling a little bit embarrassed. especially with other people. i love the rest, its just that one part.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:32:44 AM »

When Girls Get Together again taps into that pouch of chauvanism and creepiness common amongst the vaults material.

It's an indepth insight into what "girls" discuss (not) that ends with the vaguely dubious notion of 3 little girls talking of little boys and getting home before it's dark.

Oh, and it's mismatched a possibly unmatchable and dire backing track

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SBonilla
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:01:52 AM »

That section of Got to Know the Woman. c'mon c'mon and do the chicken. could have been filled with something a little less corny. but hey maybe it wasn't corny back in 1970. but i still can't listen to that without feeling a little bit embarrassed. especially with other people. i love the rest, its just that one part.

I'm OK with The Chicken. Rufus Thomas and Jackie Lee were too.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:34:24 AM »

Roller Skating Child ('so cold I go brrrrr')

Mona (lyrics not entirely, um, spontaneous, IMHO)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Synthesiser Patel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:31 AM »

"Mike takes what is actually a pretty rockin' backing track that doesnt seem (to me) forced, and throws some amazingly insulting lyrics over it about how you shouldn't engage in protesting because you might get hurt, so you should just go 'way until it's done and keep safe. "

Staying "out of sight" whilst the National Guard sprays bullets around indiscriminately sounds like pretty good advice to me.  At no point does the lyric implore the listener not to protest.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:04:06 AM »

Surfin- don't know what they were thinking on that one. Grin
Jack Rieley's lyrics period.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:29:55 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »

What's wrong with Surfin'?  For high school kids, that ain't bad.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:06:48 AM »

What's wrong with Surfin'?  For high school kids, that ain't bad.
It was joke about this thread. Cool
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:13:43 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »

When Girls Get Together again taps into that pouch of chauvanism and creepiness common amongst the vaults material.

It's an indepth insight into what "girls" discuss (not) that ends with the vaguely dubious notion of 3 little girls talking of little boys and getting home before it's dark.

It seems the opposite of chauvinism, and an attempt of an understanding at a world of feminism, and a world and culture of communication that women have engaged in forever.  Almost the concept of noses pressed to the glass, not in a voyeurism sense, but an attempt to understand what goes on in an apparent world, closed (or apparently, closed) to them.

The mandolins in the background conjure an European image, perhaps Italian.

Maybe this board could use some more ladies...

Frankly, I think it is a little avant garde.   Wink

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »

I always felt that When Girls Get together is a sort of lyrical nod to "Girl Talk", that Brian may have heard from the Four Freshmen.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »

I love the backing track to When Girls Get... way too much to let the lyrics bother me. Although they aren't exactly Dylan.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »

Maybe the Love You lyrics are a lot easier to swallow if you're not a native speaker.

It's interesting how that works--I'm a native speaker of some brand of English, so I can't experience the Beach Boys any other way, but I listen to quite a lot of Italian opera, and some French as well, and, although I know those languages on some level, I get the feeling that, even if I were totally fluent, I wouldn't really be socially equipped to get if these words are corny.  Opera in English almost always sounds slightly corny to me, with plenty of exceptions.

But for all I know, "Al lampo dell'armi quest'alma guerriera vendetta farà, non fià che disarmi la destra guerriera chi forza le dà", which sounds magnificent to me, is terrible, corny Italian.  I know precisely what it means...so I suppose non-native speakers are in a unique position to evaluate Beach Boys' lyrics.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 04:13:16 AM »

It seems the opposite of chauvinism, and an attempt of an understanding at a world of feminism, and a world and culture of communication that women have engaged in forever.  Almost the concept of noses pressed to the glass, not in a voyeurism sense, but an attempt to understand what goes on in an apparent world, closed (or apparently, closed) to them.

Frankly, I think it is a little avant garde.   Wink

Do ya?  LOL  I can't sign-up for avant garde but I like your reply, well played.

I think "The Night was so Young" would go a long way to appealing to female fans, I will suggest that to the focus group over in the sandbox  Cheesy

I love the backing track to When Girls Get... way too much to let the lyrics bother me. Although they aren't exactly Dylan.

I admit to liking the drum sound - "Doom, Da-Dooom"

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 05:22:17 AM »

As for mismatched -- by this I mean the lyrics and the backing music don't seem to work well together

'Our Car Club'. At the time their most mature and sophisticated backing track - with lyrics that sound like they were written by a nine year old.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 06:28:24 AM »

It seems the opposite of chauvinism, and an attempt of an understanding at a world of feminism, and a world and culture of communication that women have engaged in forever.  Almost the concept of noses pressed to the glass, not in a voyeurism sense, but an attempt to understand what goes on in an apparent world, closed (or apparently, closed) to them.

Frankly, I think it is a little avant garde.   Wink

Do ya?  LOL  I can't sign-up for avant garde but I like your reply, well played.

I think "The Night was so Young" would go a long way to appealing to female fans, I will suggest that to the focus group over in the sandbox  Cheesy

I'm sticking by my guns here...for years the terms,"mysogynistic" and "macho/sexist" have been hurled at the Beach Boys music, without "taking the music as a whole corpus" and looking at the subleties in between. This is a really subtle old world flavor, with the mandolins, which originated in Italy as some sort of lute, which Brian and Mike may have taken from, perhaps observing their grandmothers or grandaunts, and observing groups of elder ladies and young women and girls, in their travels around the world.  One can't help but notice such things, in Italy, Ireland, France, or Greece. I don't exclude other countries, but won't venture an opinion because I haven't been.

It's sort of a difficult concept for guys to grasp, except, often when visiting my aunt, for drinks, (adult beverage time!) my mother used to say," it was 5 o'clock somewhere." with my girl cousins, (we are badly outnumbered) when the door opens, and one of the guys come through the door, we hear, "Hen Party!" We laugh, but that is the same concept, I think the song captures - the "perception" that it is a "girls only" gathering.  It is the perception of a Secret Society of the Ladies, and, to an extent, it might be...I wonder how a Women's Study course would interpret this song.

Girl Talk. The boys want in. It ain't happening! Hence, the song!  Wink
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:39:06 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »

This is a thread about your "favourite" mismatched, creepy, or just plain sh*tty lyrics by this wonderful band The Beach Boys. Because we want this thread to have content, at least try to explain why you're choosing your lyrics and what you "like" about them, jerks. Go!

As for mismatched -- by this I mean the lyrics and the backing music don't seem to work well together -- I think I'd have to go with either "Student Demonstration Time" (which would probably double for gauche/sh*tty too) or "Salt Lake City". Why? With the former, Mike takes what is actually a pretty rockin' backing track that doesnt seem (to me) forced, and throws some amazingly insulting lyrics over it about how you shouldn't engage in protesting because you might get hurt, so you should just go 'way until it's done and keep safe. Yeah, f*ck you, milquetoast liberal! The latter because "Salt Lake City" has a really fantastic backing track (hmm, this surely seems like it'd be a common theme...) with lyrics about going to Salt Lake City, Utah, its cool teens and their places to hang out, and the jumpin' radio station they have. Come on, Mike/Brian. We know you're both more ambitious than that!

Salt Lake City was just recently cited as the gayest city in America (I thought it was San Francisco). God Only Knows what goes on down at the lagoon these days, but Brian and Mike probably never imagined it when they wrote this song.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »

Or maybe they did -- "Salt Lake City, we'll be coming soon" Wink
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 01:00:53 AM »

I've always found the lyric "I met you last summer when I came up to stay with my gran" partucularly grating

Gran has no place on a pop song. Especially funny as Brian wanted to submit the song to the Beatles. Can't see the John Lennon of "You Can't Do That" going to stay with his gran. Or maybe I can.......
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 02:29:11 AM »

The whole beginning part of "Everybody Wants To Live"...weird, awkward, dark, nonsensical, and hilarious all at the same time!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 02:58:25 AM »

Maybe the Love You lyrics are a lot easier to swallow if you're not a native speaker.

It's interesting how that works--I'm a native speaker of some brand of English, so I can't experience the Beach Boys any other way, but I listen to quite a lot of Italian opera, and some French as well, and, although I know those languages on some level, I get the feeling that, even if I were totally fluent, I wouldn't really be socially equipped to get if these words are corny.  Opera in English almost always sounds slightly corny to me, with plenty of exceptions.

But for all I know, "Al lampo dell'armi quest'alma guerriera vendetta farà, non fià che disarmi la destra guerriera chi forza le dà", which sounds magnificent to me, is terrible, corny Italian.  I know precisely what it means...so I suppose non-native speakers are in a unique position to evaluate Beach Boys' lyrics.

Wonderful reply, thank you.

In 1980s Germany there was a very popular thing called "Neue Deutsche Welle" (German New Wave), which had its very own trademark style of combining these very simplistic and often awkward lyrics bordering on actual nursery rhyme with the up-to-date synthesizer pop music of the day. I did grow up on this stuff, whether I enjoyed it or not, and that's probably another reason why the lyrics Brian penned in 1976 don't seem that weird or unusual to me.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 07:09:49 AM »

I've always found the lyric "I met you last summer when I came up to stay with my gran" partucularly grating

Gran has no place on a pop song. Especially funny as Brian wanted to submit the song to the Beatles. Can't see the John Lennon of "You Can't Do That" going to stay with his gran. Or maybe I can.......

Back-in-the-day...when this music and the lyrics were composed, families would swap kids, or take their kids for a week or two, and kids went to their grandparents homes, often when school went out...that was called your vacation!!

Before Facebook, and hockey and soccer camp was conceived, that  is one way that "social opportunities" presented themselves, so, it would not be weird in the 60's for someone to visit their Gran, and, and with some of your other cousins, there, "vacationing" at the same time would get to know the kids in that area and come back every year and hang out.  New phone numbers and prom dates for all!

I bet the Beatles, vacationed with their extended families as well.  Wink These guys are for the most part, born during, or just post World War II.  The music may be timeless, but, affected by the époque in which it was written.  I find the lyrics kind of sweet, bringing back those times when all the cousins hung out and became more like brothers and sisters.  Makes it cool to party with them later on!   Wink
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »

I'll Bet He's Nice: "I bet he show's you quite a ball. Please don't tell me if its true. Cuz I'm still in love with you pretty daughter..."

Hey Little Tomboy

School Girl

Mainly because men in their 30s are singing it. The first one is a bit over the top though!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 10:07:44 AM »

I'll Bet He's Nice: "I bet he show's you quite a ball. Please don't tell me if its true. Cuz I'm still in love with you pretty daughter..."

Hey Little Tomboy

School Girl

Mainly because men in their 30s are singing it. The first one is a bit over the top though!

Pretty "darlin'" (not daughter, ewwww!)

Hey Little Tomboy - retro song...

School Girl (one more semester and we're on our way) similar to Wouldn't It Be Nice!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx