gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:43:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paley Sessions arrangements  (Read 5536 times)
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »

I had a quick look at the other Paley Sessions threads on here but couldn't find the answer.  Just how involved was Brian with the arrangements for the songs recorded with Paley in the mid 90s?  To me the arrangements are stand out in their quirkiness and overall ensemble sound.  Is it Paley going for a Pet Sounds type of pastiche arrangement, or was Brian doing most of the arranging?  Personally I feel an album put out by Brian now with those sort of arrangements would be fantastic.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »

I had a quick look at the other Paley Sessions threads on here but couldn't find the answer.  Just how involved was Brian with the arrangements for the songs recorded with Paley in the mid 90s?  To me the arrangements are stand out in their quirkiness and overall ensemble sound.  Is it Paley going for a Pet Sounds type of pastiche arrangement, or was Brian doing most of the arranging?  Personally I feel an album put out by Brian now with those sort of arrangements would be fantastic.

I kinda feel like That Lucky Old Sun basically is that. It has the woodblocks and the bass harmonica and all that business that makes it feel like a mid sixties Brian Wilson production, but it''s missing that certain soul that is in the originals.

However, I think the Paley songs sound more Brian-esque to me than TLOS.

I hope the new Beach Boys album doesn't try to go for that sound. It seems like that sound is more pushed on Brian by his band, than it is his idea. I think if it was up to him it'd probably be something more stripped back. You know, maybe a piano, keyboard driven bass, a simple drum, and thats it.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:18:07 PM »

Might be because of how they were recorded. Does anyone know if those songs were recorded direct to tape? Something about the Paley produced stuff sounds very legit. The newer stuff, while GREAT, has more of a modern "digital" sound to it.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »

I hope the new Beach Boys album doesn't try to go for that sound. It seems like that sound is more pushed on Brian by his band, than it is his idea.

...actually, by all accounts, it seems to be quite the reverse!  The band keeps going with that sound because that's the sort of thing Brian responds well to.

(Seriously, Brian may not be the '60s tortured innovator any more, but he's even less the '70s bathrobe case for whom a Moog and a snare drum is the height of his ambition.  No matter who he's been working with, he hasn't shown any signs of wanting to release anything stripped down in thirty-five years...)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:06:13 PM »

I hope the new Beach Boys album doesn't try to go for that sound. It seems like that sound is more pushed on Brian by his band, than it is his idea.

...actually, by all accounts, it seems to be quite the reverse!  The band keeps going with that sound because that's the sort of thing Brian responds well to.

(Seriously, Brian may not be the '60s tortured innovator any more, but he's even less the '70s bathrobe case for whom a Moog and a snare drum is the height of his ambition.  No matter who he's been working with, he hasn't shown any signs of wanting to release anything stripped down in thirty-five years...)

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I've heard that too, and it totally makes sense even considering Moog bass era BW. He likes that low rumbling bass, which both bass harmonica and moog can afford him.

Paley also apparently mixed a bunch of them into mono for Brian, which probably helps with the sound. As for arrangements, I don't know.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 01:09:13 PM »

I've written this before, but I think it bears repeating. Brian has never -- as far as I can tell -- been an incredibly specific arranger (with the possible exception of portions of Pet Sounds and Smile). That is, he's not a trained orchestrator. His arrangements are generally based on his piano demos, with a key extra part or two. The rest of the backing tracks are developed by the session players, in collaboration with BW, and on their own. This was as true in the '60s as it is in the 2010s. (Witness the staccato break in GOK, for example.)

Thus, a lot of the BW "sound" is simply based on who he's working with. When he worked with the other BBs in the studio, the tracks had a garage-band sound. When he worked with the Wrecking Crew guys, his records sound like '60s, Spector-styled classics -- that's what that group produced. When he was on his own, on Love You or the TLOS demos, he produces very stripped-down tracks -- the demo-style piano and a few extra parts, as I mentioned. When he's with AC players, the tunes have an AC sound. When he's with his band, you get their slightly retro but modern power-pop effect. With Paley, you get full-blown '60s nostalgia.

We've really done ourselves a disservice, I think, in thinking about BW as some all-encompassing creative genius when it comes to backing tracks. He has great ideas, and he has a gift for songwriting and vocal arranging. But the instrumental tracks are really the most collaborative part of his output -- and it seems like it's always been so, in one way or another.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:31:41 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »

The Wilson/Paley stuff sounds like a pretty collaborative effort on all fronts to me. Some of the arrangements and production are fantastic. Chain Reaction of Love, Getting In Over My Head, It's Not Easy Being Me, Soul Searching are among my favourite BW recordings. Any specific details on writing, production and arranging credits would be gratefully received. This material seems to split opinions.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »

ESQ conducted a great Paley interview back then. Paley described their work as a true collaboration, both of them bringing ideas (at least, in the songwriting realm). As for the tracks, Paley plays most of the instruments, Brian plays some. I'm sure a lot of the ideas are Brian's, but it seems to me that Paley filled in the blanks with his own brand of BW pastiche.

As Wirestone rightfully says, Brian's arrangements are the result of other people responding to his backbone ideas. The difference in this case is that it seems like if the initative, sometimes is all Paley's.

I really like the Paley era songs. The production is mostly incomplete to these ears. And Brian's cigarette vocals are annoying in a track or two (Must be a miracle comes to mind).

I would like to ask if anyone has heard one of their last collaborations of that period "in God we trust". Brian was really into it back then, and even quoted the beginning: "I am a sinner, sin by the ton; call myself the only one".

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Scotty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 02:59:58 PM »

Might be because of how they were recorded. Does anyone know if those songs were recorded direct to tape? Something about the Paley produced stuff sounds very legit. The newer stuff, while GREAT, has more of a modern "digital" sound to it.

Some of the Wilson/Paley stuff were recorded using a little mobile MULTITRACK RECORDER (can't remember if 4 or 8 track model) - something like a TASCAM PORTA-07. Simply ask Andy Paley - he most probably will remember which model exactly has been used back in 1993.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 03:24:56 PM »

Some of the Wilson/Paley stuff were recorded using a little mobile MULTITRACK RECORDER (can't remember if 4 or 8 track model) - something like a TASCAM PORTA-07. Simply ask Andy Paley - he most probably will remember which model exactly has been used back in 1993.

Wow. Very interesting. Thanks for the info!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 04:54:29 PM »

ESQ conducted a great Paley interview back then. Paley described their work as a true collaboration, both of them bringing ideas (at least, in the songwriting realm). As for the tracks, Paley plays most of the instruments, Brian plays some. I'm sure a lot of the ideas are Brian's, but it seems to me that Paley filled in the blanks with his own brand of BW pastiche.

As Wirestone rightfully says, Brian's arrangements are the result of other people responding to his backbone ideas. The difference in this case is that it seems like if the initative, sometimes is all Paley's.

I really like the Paley era songs. The production is mostly incomplete to these ears. And Brian's cigarette vocals are annoying in a track or two (Must be a miracle comes to mind).

I would like to ask if anyone has heard one of their last collaborations of that period "in God we trust". Brian was really into it back then, and even quoted the beginning: "I am a sinner, sin by the ton; call myself the only one".

Not familiar with that one - I have heard "God Did It."

Am I the only one who prefers Brian's vocals on this material to the overly processed/produced and autotuned vocals of the later solo records?  Even when he strains or misses a note, you can hear it's all Brian - and he does a really great job on the vocals.  He sings like he means on on almost every song.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »

Not familiar with that one - I have heard "God Did It."

Am I the only one who prefers Brian's vocals on this material to the overly processed/produced and autotuned vocals of the later solo records?  Even when he strains or misses a note, you can hear it's all Brian - and he does a really great job on the vocals.  He sings like he means on on almost every song.

I think it works well on certain songs (GIOMH, This Song, It's Not Easy). It sounds way too raw on others.

I really think BW nailed a sweet spot on the Gershwin and Disney records, vocally. The processing is generally minimal, but he has a sweetness of tone that hasn't been heard in ages.
SG7
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »

I honestly think when he is talking about that long awaited rock and roll album, I think he really means all the Paley stuff!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 10:31:34 PM »

You can hear where Paley is coming from on a track like "Best Day Ever" from the Spongebob Squarepants soundtrack. The production, songwriting, and specific *sounds* are Today and Summer Days era Beach Boys/Brian. That really stood out when I first heard that song, and it really made me smile and made me a fan. Think of how many kids under a certain age heard that tune and were digging the sounds, and hell probably many of their parents didn't even know they were grooving to sounds that were hip way back in 1965. Good then is good now. I think Paley does the retro sound quite well.

One thing to consider too is just how ridiculous "going retro" can be in the wrong hands. There is a  Hal Blaine interview where he described a session he did for the Wilsons, trying to capture their dad's pet sounds on a then-modern recording, and the producer took it too far, according to Blaine, just adding all kinds of sounds and percussion and whatnot and it ended up being too much.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 12:48:41 AM »

Funny you say that. Much of the percussion on the Paley sessions came from a digital keyboard.

Of course, we have all (I assume) listening to the Paley sessions that were leaked from a cassette copy, which certainly imparts a decidedly analog sound.

I agree though, regardless of the digital samples and four track cassette machines, the Paley sessions sound great and quintessentially BW. I'd love to hear him lay down some new vocals on a few of the tracks.

- B00ts
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 07:08:21 AM »

Of course, we have all (I assume) listening to the Paley sessions that were leaked from a cassette copy, which certainly imparts a decidedly analog sound.

An interesting assumption, to be sure.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 07:24:58 AM »

I honestly think when he is talking about that long awaited rock and roll album, I think he really means all the Paley stuff!

Agree - I was just listening to the Paley stuff, and a great "new" Beach Boys rock and roll album could be created with songs like Chain reaction of Love, Proud Mary, Elbow 63, Desert Drive (wasn't crazy about the GIOMH version), even Dancin' the Night Away - not sure why Carl objected to this song so much, the track is rockin'! 
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »

An interesting assumption, to be sure.

Well, the officially released sessions ("This Could Be The Night", "Sweets For My Sweet", "This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight", "In My Moondreams") all sound fairly retro/vintage/analog too, so I'm not sure it's just the quality of the boots.

Quote from: guitarfool2002
One thing to consider too is just how ridiculous "going retro" can be in the wrong hands. There is a  Hal Blaine interview where he described a session he did for the Wilsons, trying to capture their dad's pet sounds on a then-modern recording, and the producer took it too far, according to Blaine, just adding all kinds of sounds and percussion and whatnot and it ended up being too much.

That producer would be Joe Thomas. Reportedly, Brian was primarily in charge during the early stages of tracking "Everything I Want" and Thomas took over for the "sweetening" of the track. Definitely a "too much in the soup" mix.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:54:50 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »

Concerning the Wilson/Paley material, it's a matter of record that Andy wrote pretty much all of "Slightly American Music", and that he also wrote 95% of "Soul Searchin'", tailoring it for Carl's voice (there's a demo of AP doing all the vocal parts). "The Best Day Ever" proves that he can do mid-60s Brian as well as anyone. Just sayin'.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 05:54:11 PM »

I completely agree with Wirestone"s 1st post + AGD"s last post..
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 06:30:40 PM »

I'm not too hot on any of the Paley sessions stuff really, but I do think "Dancing the Night Away" should make it onto the new Beach Boys album. It has a classic rockin' sound that doesn't sound forced at all, and Carl's part is beautiful. And actually, Mike and the rest of the guys sound great on it too.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 08:21:29 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information.

I love the Paley session stuff, even though Brian Wilson's voice is in it's odd harsh stage there is so much passion and emotion in his singing.  These songs and the Orange Crate Art album are among the last recordings where I felt Brian Wilson was giving his all in the singing stakes.  I haven't listened to BWRG or the Disney album yet so not sure if the passion and emotion is back.  Even TLOS felt a bit lacking on that front with his vocals to me.

Out of the Paley material, the standouts for me are

Proud Mary
Soul Searchin'
Chain Reaction of Love
It's Not Easy Being Me
Desert Drive
Getting In Over My Head
Market Place
Saturday Morning in the City
Dancing the Night Away
You're Still A Mystery (Is this a Paley or a Was track?)
Slightly American Music
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 05:04:02 AM »

Jeez, get yourself both the Gershwin & Disney albums immediately, Brians vocals are fantastic and the Gershwin album might just be the most satisfying of his solo career. I am however of the opinion that the Paley sessions could have produced his finest solo album had the tracks been completed. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 07:54:39 AM »

Paley would be the go-to guy if they wanted a Today-Summer Days production sound for any Beach Boys project, or for that matter any other artist's project too. As I mentioned with his work on that Spongebob soundtrack, all the little details are there...it would be cool to have sat in on his working with Brian in the studio or just shooting the bull outside of work, where maybe Brian let him in on a few studio "secrets" on how he got those amazing sounds which I think are so unique to 1965-66. Not many since then have come as close to Paley did on Spongebob to nailing that vibe.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 12:46:51 PM »

Jeez, get yourself both the Gershwin & Disney albums immediately, Brians vocals are fantastic and the Gershwin album might just be the most satisfying of his solo career. I am however of the opinion that the Paley sessions could have produced his finest solo album had the tracks been completed. 

Agreed. The standard of songs and arrangements are imo superior to Imagination and GIOMH. Even in its somewhat lo-fi sound quality and making allowances for BW's rather erratic vocals, I class the Wilson-Paley Sessions as much of a BW solo album as any he's officially released. A highly enjoyable record (if viewed as a record, not as a collection of unreleased, unfinished songs).

I hope that someday, sooner rather than later, this material will see offical release in excellent sound quality. If nothing else, it -could be the centre piece of a rare and unreleased BW solo box-set at some point - unlikely I know  Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx