-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Are there any female members on this board?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are there any female members on this board?  (Read 97463 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2015, 07:22:35 PM »

who want special treatment

Yeah, that's what I tell all those single mothers who are looking for equal pay and promotion opportunities.
Know your place, woman!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »

People aren't due a promotion opportunity or a certain rate of pay because of their gender.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2015, 08:38:28 PM »

People aren't due a promotion opportunity or a certain rate of pay because of their gender.

Seems to work for men.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »

Or maybe the men in question are just more qualified?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2015, 08:54:24 PM »

Right, so, on average, men are consistently more qualified than women. I guess you're right - there's certainly no gender discrimination there.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:55:59 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2015, 09:05:01 PM »

Right, so, on average, men are consistently more qualified than women. I guess you're right - there's certainly no gender discrimination there.

So women should get promotions because they're women or because they're qualified?

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2015, 09:34:04 PM »

Well, I think I see the pattern to this conversation. I suppose men are always paid more than women because they're more qualified, and men are more likely to receive promotions than women because they're more qualified. And that's okay because men are more qualified than women, and that doesn't have anything to do with gender discrimination - it's just because one gender is statistically more qualified than the other. I looked up the definition to "sexual discrimination" and I got this: "discrimination in employment and opportunity against a person (typically a woman) on grounds of sex." Although, I see that they've clearly overlooked the "qualified" clause. The fools.

Just as an aside, do you also believe that racism in America is no longer a factor?
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2015, 09:46:37 PM »

Well, I think I see the pattern to this conversation. I suppose men are always paid more than women because they're more qualified, and men are more likely to receive promotions than women because they're more qualified. And that's okay because men are more qualified than women, and that doesn't have anything to do with gender discrimination - it's just because one gender is statistically more qualified than the other. I looked up the definition to "sexual discrimination" and I got this: "discrimination in employment and opportunity against a person (typically a woman) on grounds of sex." Although, I see that they've clearly overlooked the "qualified" clause. The fools.

Well, imagine that...every time a woman doesn't get a promotion, it's the patriarchy's fault. Qualifications are subjective and at the discretion of an employer. Men aren't more qualified than women because they're men and vice versa. The employer determines qualifications, not the employee. Does this mean that when women are passed over for a promotion and a man gets the job, is it because the man was more qualified or because the employer's a sexist pig? You'd have to ask the employer but I'm sure the employer would respond with "more qualified."

Just as an aside, do you also believe that racism in America is no longer a factor?

It's more of a problem than the illusory patriarchy and it is a blemish on many people of all races.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2015, 10:08:53 PM »

Well, imagine that...every time a woman doesn't get a promotion, it's the patriarchy's fault. Qualifications are subjective and at the discretion of an employer. Men aren't more qualified than women because they're men and vice versa. The employer determines qualifications, not the employee. Does this mean that when women are passed over for a promotion and a man gets the job, is it because the man was more qualified or because the employer's a sexist pig? You'd have to ask the employer but I'm sure the employer would respond with "more qualified."

The definition uses the word "typical", which does not mean it solely happens to women, but they are characteristically the victims. Why do you suppose the definition of the word makes that sentiment clear? Perhaps it's because so many white liberal women are whinging about the sexual discrimination they have to face? Those silly liberals. If only they had a nice gentleman like you to swoop down and tell them that the discrimination they face isn't actually discrimination at all. Just give 'em a "Listen, ladies, I know I'm not a woman and therefore don't understand the female experience, but I'm here to tell you what you all think is wrong." Why, I'm sure they would see the light!

But, let's touch on this "qualified" term you seem to keep hitting. Why do you suppose men are consistently more qualified? Are men just smarter than women? Are they just always better at their jobs? Perhaps women faced some sort of discrimination at the education level? Or maybe the men were just more qualified to receive the education? And, why would that be?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:09:47 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2015, 10:36:39 PM »

Bubbly Waves, is Madonna a more qualified musician than me? Why does she make more money than me?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2015, 10:47:52 PM »

Bubbly Waves, is Madonna a more qualified musician than me? Why does she make more money than me?

Being qualified has little to do with musical success. In fact, Madonna has little to do with writing her own songs - "write a word, take a third", as they say. Madonna is an objectified pop star. She sells sex. Hardly the best example to disprove influences of sexism.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2015, 01:19:37 AM »

Madonna is very qualified at what she's doing and people are willing to pay her a lot for her products (concerts, cd's etc).

Why is Lindsey Vonn better paid than the average man?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2015, 06:03:01 AM »

(Quote)
Men are promoted more quickly because they are "better networked."  Women don't lack equal credentials. That is changing with some social media.  And if they are married or raising a family as a single parent, still are doing a greater share of the "people" work, such as laundry, health care for the kids, and are relying more heavily on schedule-friendly online education for professional development.  Teachers were paid lower for decades based on gender.  Now, most collective bargaining agreements have weeded that inequality out.  It is not a liberal v. conservative issue.  
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2015, 06:50:38 AM »

Pretty Funky is funky pretty.
No way. Does it mean "she"'s into girls? Coz I could've sworn I read the mention of wife.
For years since lurking I had impression that Wirestone is lady too. Dunno why. Sth. about the username.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2015, 09:28:48 AM »

Why is Lindsey Vonn better paid than the average man?

So, now you want to talk about sports? Okay! Why don't you scroll through this list and tell me how long it takes you to find the first female: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_world%27s_highest-paid_athletes. I'm not going to play this game with you.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2015, 10:25:29 AM »

Cool Guy Game, Set, Match Bubbly Waves....

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »

Cool Guy Game, Set, Match Bubbly Waves....

Not really. Male athletes are paid more because people are willing to pay more to see them. It's not a game, it's the market.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2015, 10:43:53 AM »

The market decided that women are worth less than men in those cases.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2015, 10:49:47 AM »

The world that Bubbly Waves wants to live in is a world governed by feels and not by logic or reason - a world in which certain groups of people are afforded special protection at the expense of others. The new authoritarianism is called political correctness and it's wrapped in a rainbow flag with a smiley face demanding better manners.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2015, 10:58:25 AM »

Why do you guys suppose the market is that way?

Well, anyway, I see you've run out of any actual points to make. I suppose wanting equality for people doesn't follow any "logic" or "reason".  Right.

Thanks, guys. It's been fun.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:59:22 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2015, 11:00:23 AM »

The market provides for equal opportunities, not equal outcomes. In fact, the last time equal outcomes was tried, over a hundred million people died because of it.

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2015, 11:17:28 AM »

I think all songwriters should be paid equally. I wanna be paid as much as Taylor Swift.

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »

When it comes to wages there is no objective right or wrong. The wage is whatever people are willing to pay you for your goods and services minus your own expenses.

"Equal pay" is price controls and believe me - price controls do not work. Just google it. Always creates shortages and an informal economy where the ruling class (government) cracks down on ordinary decent citizens running their lives making them criminals. Here is just one example: http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-venezuela-economy-shortages-20150123-story.html and http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2015/apr/16/venezuela-economy-black-market-milk-and-toilet-paper
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:39:59 AM by Hamstring Hero » Logged

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2015, 11:27:56 AM »

Price controls are why national health services go to sh*t eventually...

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2015, 11:31:17 AM »

And let's say a person produces goods and service at a value of 8 dollars an hour. If the minimum wage is let's say 11 dollars the employer would lose 3 dollars an hour. That leads to the inevitable fact that the 8 dollar an hour-person will stay unemployed instead of learn a skill, be productive and in the future maybe earn 13-15 dollars an hour (or more, this is just an example).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:51:09 AM by Hamstring Hero » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: