-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:18:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Are there any female members on this board?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are there any female members on this board?  (Read 97694 times)
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 08:59:13 AM »

Sadly, very few of them feeling like joining this board

SurferGirl7 and Hart will do  Afro

Is this a shoutout? I feel so special!

Aside from my Vogue subscription, giant shoe collection and Zumba classes, I've always been more of a guy's gal. I love sports, played college softball and I got second place in our fantasy football league this year.

I don't think it was in this thread, but the last time the female fan thing came up, some mentioned that there are probably more men into being hardcore fans because they are more prone to obsession and being collectors. I am totally obsession prone though. If I get in to something, I have to know everything about it. Generally, that's a good thing, I think. That's what made me a good student, a good nutritionist and what makes me come to this board nearly every day.

As far as the draw to BB/BW specifically, I think it's just the music itself. I could listen to Pet Sounds, Smile, Friends or Wild Honey hundreds of times on repeat. People always point out the misogynist aspect of the lyrics, with the exception of the obvious things like Hey Little Tomboy, I always found them to be really sweet. I think it comes from a place of putting beautiful women on a pedestal, not wanting to keep them down or something. And what could make you feel more womanly than a guy worshiping you? Besides if some guy came up to me in high school and said he was going to hustle me, I would have been very intrigued.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 06:36:44 PM »

Is this a shoutout? I feel so special!

Aside from my Vogue subscription, giant shoe collection and Zumba classes, I've always been more of a guy's gal. I love sports, played college softball and I got second place in our fantasy football league this year.

I don't think it was in this thread, but the last time the female fan thing came up, some mentioned that there are probably more men into being hardcore fans because they are more prone to obsession and being collectors. I am totally obsession prone though. If I get in to something, I have to know everything about it. Generally, that's a good thing, I think. That's what made me a good student, a good nutritionist and what makes me come to this board nearly every day.

As far as the draw to BB/BW specifically, I think it's just the music itself. I could listen to Pet Sounds, Smile, Friends or Wild Honey hundreds of times on repeat. People always point out the misogynist aspect of the lyrics, with the exception of the obvious things like Hey Little Tomboy, I always found them to be really sweet. I think it comes from a place of putting beautiful women on a pedestal, not wanting to keep them down or something. And what could make you feel more womanly than a guy worshiping you? Besides if some guy came up to me in high school and said he was going to hustle me, I would have been very intrigued.

wow, too few of you in the world, too few

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »

I've noticed a few ladies on the board..

Also, Fishmonk is pretty wrong, the Beach Boys/Brian have a lot of female fans, just go to one of there concerts..

Can't forget Carlydenise, Emdeeh, and DonnaK.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 03:39:11 AM »

Also, Fishmonk is pretty wrong, the Beach Boys/Brian have a lot of female fans, just go to one of there concerts..

... or Suzan... or Val...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

I find that Beach Boys fans are overwhelmingly male especially fans of the post Pet Sounds era. I even heard on a radio show once that women consider a song like God Only Knows to be a typical guy's idea of emotional sentimental music :S

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »

... or Suzan... or Val...

Oh yeah, we have more than enough

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 06:23:38 AM »

I find that Beach Boys fans are overwhelmingly male especially fans of the post Pet Sounds era. I even heard on a radio show once that women consider a song like God Only Knows to be a typical guy's idea of emotional sentimental music :S

I'm trying to figure out what that means...... but then, I'm no genius, just a typical guy.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 01:20:13 PM »

There's me too!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »

Besides if some guy came up to me in high school and said he was going to hustle me, I would have been very intrigued.

And there was me, a skinny high school kid wasting his pivotal years thinkin' the girls would much prefer my Simone De Beavoir jive  Tongue

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »

I'm here too. My name should make it pretty obvious.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2015, 02:33:54 PM »

Hey! That first paragraph pretty much describes me :D I think I annoy my friends every time I get into another band... whoops.
And I feel the same way... I don't enjoy digging too deep into things that other people find offensive... However, I don't think I've ever met anyone else who likes the Beach Boys nearly as much as I do, so I guess this has never really come into conversation for me, at least, concerning the Beach Boys...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 07:46:24 AM »

Hey! That first paragraph pretty much describes me :D I think I annoy my friends every time I get into another band... whoops.
And I feel the same way... I don't enjoy digging too deep into things that other people find offensive... However, I don't think I've ever met anyone else who likes the Beach Boys nearly as much as I do, so I guess this has never really come into conversation for me, at least, concerning the Beach Boys...

I don't really think that lyrical misogyny is a big thing at all, I just brought it up because I've seen it mentioned before (here and elsewhere) as a reason for there not being tons of female fans. My views on feminism have changed a lot in the 3+ years since I wrote that post, but I still don't find that Beach Boys lyrics are really problematic. Mostly, the worst stuff are gender stereotypes being reinforced, but there are actually quite a few songs that seems to celebrate girls that are able to be equal partners in a relationship.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2015, 07:49:22 AM »

What's scary is that people find Beach Boys lyrics to be misogynistic. I guess *everything* is misogynistic to some folks.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2015, 09:33:53 AM »

What's scary is that people find Beach Boys lyrics to be misogynistic. I guess *everything* is misogynistic to some folks.

Check your cisgender privilege.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »

The word cisgender needs to be erased from the English language.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »

Feminism needs erased from thinking processes on top of it.

Newsflash - if you live in Western civilization, that's the best deal women have. Go over to the camel cowboys in the Middle East and talk about feminism. Go ahead. We'll be waiting for your return.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:05:44 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »

Female bored members?

I consider Fillthepage my friend. And RangeRover too. And I enjoy reading Amy's and Cyncie's posts. Pretty Funky is funky pretty. What happened to Amanda Hart?

And I almost forgot Shady and SmileBrian.                Oh wait, they're not females.......  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2015, 10:11:27 AM »

Feminism needs erased from thinking processes on top of it.

Newsflash - if you live in Western civilization, that's the best deal women have. .

Um yeah, because of feminism.

Please delete my account
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »

Female bored members?

I consider Fillthepage my friend. And RangeRover too. And I enjoy reading Amy's and Cyncie's posts. Pretty Funky is funky pretty. What happened to Amanda Hart?

And I almost forgot Shady and SmileBrian.                Oh wait, they're not females.......  Grin
dammit Mikie, you crusty old man. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2015, 10:24:22 AM »

Um yeah, because of feminism.

You don't need feminism, all you need is the nonaggression principle.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2015, 10:29:52 AM »

Feminism had a place a century ago. Now it's just entitled white middle class liberal women who want special treatment and hate men because they think men are the reason for it.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2015, 11:11:49 AM »

Female bored members?

Thank you Mikie! of course it is mutual...but feminism is the belief of female equality, so men can be feminists.  

Sort of gender-neutrality... Wink
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:54:32 AM by filledeplage » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2015, 02:49:59 PM »

Not to forget the legendary Gertie J. She was here last month, anyway...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2015, 06:34:27 PM »

Feminism had a place a century ago. Now it's just entitled white middle class liberal women who want special treatment and hate men because they think men are the reason for it.

I'm a feminist and that description doesn't fit me.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2015, 06:48:02 PM »

Are you a third-wave feminist?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: