gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 07:37:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can a Reunion Tour Have Two Band Leaders?  (Read 9530 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »

I wouldn't bet the kids college fund on that one Rocky!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 10:29:09 AM »

Darian directly told me after an 09 BW show that he generally declines to participate in BW hits-only tours. I would be surprised, but quite happy, to see him on this one.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 10:30:30 AM »

"Can a Reunion Tour Have Two Band Leaders ?"

No, which is why I suspect there will be just the one calling the overall shots (after consultation with the other principals).

And given that I have no doubt Brian has any real interest in doing so, that means it's Mr. Love.

Well, I hope he does a good job.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »

No, which is why I suspect there will be just the one calling the overall shots (after consultation with the other principals).

And given that I have no doubt Brian has any real interest in doing so, that means it's Mr. Love.

I could see why you would say its Mike. And maybe that is true. But my guess is it's Brian, with Jeff as his mouthpiece, considering the fact that they are using Brian's band as the backing band, even though Mike's band has been touring for the last God knows how long as The Beach Boys. Plus, lets be honest, Brian holds all the cards in his hands. If this tour takes place without him, it's a minor blip. If he is part of it, its BRIAN WILSON IS BACK WITH THE BEACH BOYS on major media outlets.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:40:13 AM by Jim » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »

I Think HJ means frontmen.

THat would be a toughie as BW tends to read from a TelePrompTer and genuine interaction with the audience is rare, so we rarely get a glimpse of his terrific sense of humour. Mike, however, goes for genuine interaction with the audience when he might be better off relying on a TelePrompTer, so that the glimpses we get of his sense of humour are more rare, which would be terrific. Not sure how their two styles would complement one another. If it was left to Al, he'd spend so long talking about how he suggested Sloop John B to Brian that we'd never get to hear any music. I think Dave should be pointman for this tour.

I think it's a no-brainer that Mike Love would be the frontman.  That's been his role in the band from the get-go.  Brian may have been the musical leader of the band but he was never the frontman and was never a great "frontman" for his own band; why would he start now?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:58:02 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 12:37:15 PM »

Darian directly told me after an 09 BW show that he generally declines to participate in BW hits-only tours. I would be surprised, but quite happy, to see him on this one.

I think it very unlikely that they would be publicly announcing his participation without at least having asked him first.
Which would suggest that this tour will be more than a 'hits-only' one. Like I've said befor, I'm betting we'll be getting something like Mike & Bruce's 2008 and 2004 setlists, or Brian's 2002 ones.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »

I think it very unlikely that they would be publicly announcing his participation without at least having asked him first.
Which would suggest that this tour will be more than a 'hits-only' one. Like I've said befor, I'm betting we'll be getting something like Mike & Bruce's 2008 and 2004 setlists, or Brian's 2002 ones.

I don't know if I would count the listing on the BB band website as any sort of official announcement. It is suggestive, though.

I could see why you would say its Mike. And maybe that is true. But my guess is it's Brian, with Jeff as his mouthpiece, considering the fact that they are using Brian's band as the backing band, even though Mike's band has been touring for the last God knows how long as The Beach Boys. Plus, lets be honest, Brian holds all the cards in his hands. If this tour takes place without him, it's a minor blip. If he is part of it, its BRIAN WILSON IS BACK WITH THE BEACH BOYS on major media outlets.

I think the band selection was Brian's major contribution to the project. That and Jeff. Now that those things are in place, I think BW's role is mainly to work on the record and look pretty onstage. I think BW has a lot of respect for Mike as a showman and actually might consciously choose to defer to him in terms of presentation, the majority of the setlist, etc.

And let's not kid ourselves: The space between the average BW band and ML/BJ band setlist is pretty small these days. ML comes ahead on the adventuresome front sometimes, too. I doubt it will make much of a difference which one of them creates the master setlist (hint: It opens with California Girls).
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 12:56:14 PM »

If I had my way none of the Beach Boys would be in sole charge. I'd be calling for a stage manager who would be in charge of everything from stage layout, lighting and even what clothing is worn.

Mike and co would choose the set-list from, as has been mentioned, a core list played every gig plus a number of revolving rare songs.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »

Well, I'll put it this way: on stage Mike Love will be the guy that talks to the audience, and introduces the songs, maybe aside from a little Bruce here, and a little Al there, and maybe a little Brian. But I think the setlists will be a compromise between Brian/Melinda and Mike.

Like, for instance, I would imagine we won't get stuck with stuff like "Surf City", "Little Old Lady from Pasadena", and "Duke of Earl" like the Mike/Bruce contingency is known to include. And I'd think the "rarities" included won't be stuff like "Still Cruisin'".

All I hope is that we get a setlist that shows off early surf 'n car songs, introspective material like "Please Let Me Wonder", some Pet Sounds and SMiLE and a llttle helping of '70s material like "This Whole World", "Sail On, Sailor", and "Good Timin'". That would be just fine.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »

I'd be quite surprised actually if we didn't get at least one of Still Cruisin' and SIP - and I'm fine with that, those songs work well live.
But I'd be equally amazed if we don't get Good Timin', Sail On Sailor and a few Pet Sounds album tracks *as well*.
And that's how it should be, really - a celebration of all facets of the band's career.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »

Here's hoping!

And a live Cabinessence with Mike singing the tag -- how cool would that be?
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »

I've just had a thought (dangerous, I know) but.....would this be the first time Brian has sang Kokomo?

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »

Here's hoping!

And a live Cabinessence with Mike singing the tag -- how cool would that be?

+1!!!!!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »

I've just had a thought (dangerous, I know) but.....would this be the first time Brian has sang Kokomo?

Nope--he can be prominently heard on the Spanish version of the song. 

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »

Nope--he can be prominently heard on the Spanish version of the song. 

He sang it live previously. He appears with the the group singing it live in a Full House episode.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOZ5dEiZYCo
SG7
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »

I hope Nick is in the final lineup. He played on Do It Again, seems kind of sad to leave him out this late in the game!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »

You can totally hear his voice in that mix. It would have been weird if he were on the original studio version. It would have had that wacky, crazy '80s Brian vocal sound that you hear on things like "Island Girl". I wonder if it would have affected it commercially? And I also wonder how it would affect the fan base if he were on it.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 06:34:35 PM »

You can totally hear his voice in that mix. It would have been weird if he were on the original studio version. It would have had that wacky, crazy '80s Brian vocal sound that you hear on things like "Island Girl". I wonder if it would have affected it commercially? And I also wonder how it would affect the fan base if he were on it.

Cheers guys-I even typed in , "Brian Wilson Kokomo" into YouTube but it didn't come up with that. Good point about how it may have sounded if he had been on it. I'll ask the Blueboard!!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »

Yeah Brian's voice is definitely in that mix.  If you listen closely, it sounds like he's just babbling his own lyrics.   Razz

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 07:44:27 PM »

Yeah Brian's voice is definitely in that mix.  If you listen closely, it sounds like he's just babbling his own lyrics.   Razz

It really does. He manages to stay along with the melody, somewhat.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »

You wonder what Carl must have been thinking......am I really sharing a microphone with Dave *@*#&*#&# Coulier??? What the hell happened to us?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »

Yerp. Cracked up the first time I saw this. I love Brian. I really do.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2012, 02:11:09 AM »

Yerp. Cracked up the first time I saw this. I love Brian. I really do.

Oh Lord...after seeing that, and especially Brian's leather trousers, I'm off to PC World to purchase a new keyboard. Thanks guys!
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2012, 06:03:03 AM »

It always cracks me up seeing Bob Saget wear a suit and tie to a Beach Boys concert.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx