gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:51:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 1990 Hotel Tape  (Read 20206 times)
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2015, 10:18:43 AM »

if anyone has this video please put on youtube, for history's sake!
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2015, 10:35:21 AM »

Here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx3eD9KU7C0

Enjoy!

chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »

you are amazing! thank you!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2015, 10:56:04 AM »

If I remember correctly no one filled in for Michael on the 1990 dates he missed; Carl, Al, and Bruce just went out themselves with the usual backup members.

Just confirmed on 10452 that between June 29-July 4 Brian played with the BB's in Canada and Massachusetts, Mike being only at the 2 July 4 shows in the US. Per that site, the hotel tape was recorded July 2 in Montreal.  As others have posted, there were several dates missed in 1990 by Mike and/or  Al where Brian did not appear, and Carl indeed missed shows in late 1990 due to an appendectomy.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2015, 12:10:17 PM »

If I remember correctly no one filled in for Michael on the 1990 dates he missed; Carl, Al, and Bruce just went out themselves with the usual backup members.

So typically, they didn’t call for Brian to fill in when one member was absent.

I think most of the corporate guidelines and/or tour riders at the time must have stipulated they had to have three BBs on stage. So I’m not sure why Brian “filled in” for either Al or Mike for a few gigs, unless specific shows/promoters wanted four BBs on stage.

Would be interested to know how this 'calling in' of other Beach Boys worked. Was there some sort of 'Surf Signal' deployed in the skies over the US (presumably over a background of the California state flag) when a fill-in member was needed?

Did Mike and Al send tidings on the astral plane to Brian that he was needed and Landy willingly had the big guy parachuted onto the scene?

Actually a Mike-less Beach Boys with an on-form Brian plus Carl and Al handling lead vocals might have been very good indeed.
BriansBack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2015, 01:31:32 PM »

Here you go

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the quick response! You are a credit to the community!
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2015, 01:34:55 PM »

Here you go

Enjoy!

You're very welcome, I luckily saved it last time it was on youtube. Smiley

Thanks so much for the quick response! You are a credit to the community!

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2015, 01:40:36 PM »

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful stuff going on here with Bruce and Brian---gem footage!  Smokin
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:45:30 PM by Cool Cool Water » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »

So typically, they didn’t call for Brian to fill in when one member was absent.

I think most of the corporate guidelines and/or tour riders at the time must have stipulated they had to have three BBs on stage. So I’m not sure why Brian “filled in” for either Al or Mike for a few gigs, unless specific shows/promoters wanted four BBs on stage.

Would be interested to know how this 'calling in' of other Beach Boys worked. Was there some sort of 'Surf Signal' deployed in the skies over the US (presumably over a background of the California state flag) when a fill-in member was needed?

Did Mike and Al send tidings on the astral plane to Brian that he was needed and Landy willingly had the big guy parachuted onto the scene?

Actually a Mike-less Beach Boys with an on-form Brian plus Carl and Al handling lead vocals might have been very good indeed.

After Dennis passed in 1983, obviously he was not replaced - not as a drummer but as a Beach Boy - by another "permanent" member such as a Bruce in the 1960's and a Blondie or Ricky in the 1970's. I always thought that, at that particular time, BRI took the position, "OK, we're going ahead as a foursome, but nothing less than four Beach Boys on stage." And, yes, I know Dennis missed a lot of shows in the late 70's/early 80's. Anyway, I thought that BRI still had some standards. That has changed and it appears that money is now the overriding priority.

That being said, BRI probably tried to adhere to their "minimum four Beach Boys on stage policy" and occasionally called in Brian or David or whoever to help out. It should not have been difficult to ask a band member to give adequate notice if they knew that they were going to miss a gig for whatever reason, medical emergency being the exception. All they had to do was notify management and have management make a few phone calls.

As a fan, I would be - and frequently was - disappointed when ANY Beach Boy was not present for a concert I attended, no matter if he was a favorite of mine, or not. That being said, we would probably be surprised at how many fans attending Beach Boys' concerts don't have a clue who they are seeing or hearing and wouldn't even know if a certain band member was absent.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »

It’s another one of the weird things that was a byproduct of the BBs incessantly touring. Some bands would cancel or reschedule a gig if one of their lead vocalists was out. But the BBs didn’t. They had no problem doing gigs with three BBs on stage. They were doing it all the way back in 1982 when Carl was still gone and Dennis and Brian would both miss gigs. There were a few Wilson-less BB shows in 1982.

The recruitment of David Marks in 1997 was probably also not coincidental in this regard either, with the knowledge that Carl might be missing some shows and that Al could very well be on his way out. I think David even spoke to this to some degree in some interviews in the 1999-early 2000s timeframe.

By later 1998 and then 1999, I would guess Mike just had the license and there was no longer any “minimum” BB corporate rule. Who knows, maybe the current license requires at least two BBs on stage, I dunno. I would guess not.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2015, 02:31:31 PM »

News coverage/review of one of the 2 shows they played on July 4th, '90 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jmUNTbGGJM

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2015, 02:56:37 PM »

News coverage/review of one of the 2 shows they played on July 4th, '90 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jmUNTbGGJM

Thanks for posting that. Brought back some great memories. First time I ever saw Brian.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2015, 05:42:28 PM »

"Surf Signal." Awesome.

Thanks for the upload!
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2016, 05:31:03 AM »

Here's a cool photo John Stamos posted on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFnSplPih0t/?taken-by=johnstamos

Time to make some new cover art for The Hotel Tapes!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2016, 07:28:56 AM »

One of my favorite parts of this video is Bruce continually trying to show Brian his "new arrangement" for "Caroline, No" and Brian ignoring him. Not a dig on Bruce, the little arrangement bit is actually nice.

I also recall that Foskett seems to be glued to Brian. I wonder if Foskett knew he was a few days away from leaving the band, and may have wondered if this was his last chance at an experience like this.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2016, 06:58:57 AM »

here is all 70 minutes! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjYD4sn3pGo&list=PLvRRaqL2VXRW0thssBiUW42RTaoZJTVNe
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »

It was 1981 when Carl was taking a sabbatical from the group. He returned in '82. I don't know if there were any shows the Boys performed without any Wilsons in the '80's .I think there was a clause in their contract stating one Wilson had to be present , at least while Carl was still alive. There were times in '81 when both Brian and Dennis would leave the stage during a song (Lady Lynda) and leave them "Wilsonless" for a bit. Thus fulfilling Mike's private fantasy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2016, 09:23:59 AM »

Wow! Thanks so much for that, Tim.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »

My new favorite "Brianism" is from that tape. At one point Brian can be heard saying "Once you give up masturbating your muscles really start to go".  Grin
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:36:43 AM by Ognir Rrats » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2016, 12:06:05 AM »

Here's a cool photo John Stamos posted on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFnSplPih0t/?taken-by=johnstamos

Time to make some new cover art for The Hotel Tapes!

A brilliant photo. I wonder if there are anymore from this jam'? If the Hotel Tapes ever got official release, they should use that photo defiantly.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2016, 12:07:08 AM »

... Or footage....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:09:00 AM by Cool Cool Water » Logged
Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2016, 01:11:27 AM »

it was actually Bruce who made the quip about masturbating.

I have the full 1hr 10 mins of this on a dvd (also have Brian's performance at the Handlery Hotel from later that month). Been trying to extract the files from the dvd onto my laptop but that's proving to be kind of problematic.

All this footage is easily obtainable (for a price) online.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2016, 02:54:22 PM »

Footage (for those who ain't seen it).

VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2016, 01:12:23 PM »

Would love to see the 70min version....but what's with Stamos not being able to keep his hands off JF.  He's all over the poor guy.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx