gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:00:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Step Up and Step Down  (Read 2002 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »

What was the biggest step up and step down for the boys as albums?
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »

Their biggest step up in my opinion was "Today!" from "All Summer Long" and the Xmas album.
I'm not even going to bother including anything after 1985, but their biggest step down for me is "Party" following "Summer Days..."

I know plenty of people disagree, but I actually think their albums are consistently good through the '70s and up thru "Keepin' the Summer Alive."  A case could easily be made for "BB85" being their biggest step down, but I listen to that more than "Party," so my answer stays the same.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:11:53 PM »

I don't think you can count Party!. That was a stop-gap to release something to appease Capitol for Christmas and allow Brian to keep working on Pet Sounds.

Today! came out in March of '65 and then they cranked out Summer Days by July of '65. If they hadn't of released Party! (November '65), then they wouldn't have had an album released for 10 months. Party! was never meant to be a step up or even a try at it.

I do agree their biggest step up was from ALS to Today. Their biggest step down for me was Holland to 15 Big Ones.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »

Step down is unquestionably Pet Sounds to Smiley Smile. Step up- I'll go with Summer Days (which I like a lot) to Pet Sounds because Pet Sounds just belongs to another level separate from all the other albums.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:08:37 AM »

I don't think you can count Party!. That was a stop-gap to release something to appease Capitol for Christmas and allow Brian to keep working on Pet Sounds.

Today! came out in March of '65 and then they cranked out Summer Days by July of '65. If they hadn't of released Party! (November '65), then they wouldn't have had an album released for 10 months. Party! was never meant to be a step up or even a try at it.

Good point, and I wouldn't count it as an effort in the same regard as their other albums, just like I wouldn't consider a live album in the same regard.  However, since it was newly recorded studio work, I have to see it as part of their body of work.  For me, it's a blemish because it's got some bland covers I really don't care for.  Instead of those Beatles tunes and "Barbara Ann" I'd actually rather just have an album of new acoustic versions of their own songs, as silly as that sounds.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:17:42 AM »

Step Ups - Shut Down Vol. 2 to All Summer Long, All Summer Long to Today, Summer Days to Pet Sounds

Step Downs - Holland to 15 Big Ones, Love You to MIU, Still Crusin' to Summer in Paradise (from absolutely terrible to nightmarish).
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:13:10 AM »

Step Down - by far Holland to 15 Big Ones

Step Up - Summer Love Songs to The Smile Sessions
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:35:16 PM »

Step up: Surfin' Safari to Surfin' USA
Step Down: Smiley Smile to Wild Honey
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 12:22:37 AM »

step down - holland to 15 big ones
step up - shut down to all summer long
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:45:17 AM »

Step up - 15 big ones to Love You
Step Down - Pet Sounds to Smiley Smile (not sayin' I don't like it, tho)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 02:54:08 AM »

Step up - So Tough to Holland

Step down - BB 85 to Stll Cruisin

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:27:15 AM »

steps up:
 All Summer Long to Today
Party to Pet Sounds
 So Tough to Holland
 15 Big Ones to Love You

steps down:
 Summer Days to Party
 Pet Sounds to Smiley
Holland to 15 Big Ones

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx