gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680875 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:21:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone Here Into Radiohead? :]  (Read 4481 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »

I barely started listening to all their music and i am completely blown away Smiley I can't believe i'm so late ..Idk how to describe their genre of music it's like a huge music orgasm!..It's like almost every album they released is so close to perfection i havent came across one where i was like "ok this this is their smiley smile album lol ".
Just kidding (BB fans Don't kill me for that.)
I Also heard they sampled "Wouldn't it be Nice" for their song "No Suprises". So i'm guessing they are fans of BB as well or at least a bit inspired by them.

When Creating "Ok Computer" According to Thom Yorke, the band hoped to achieve an "atmosphere that's perhaps a bit shocking when you first hear it, but only as shocking as the atmosphere on The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:39:18 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »

They are one of my many other music obsessions besides The Beach Boys.  They haven't made one weak album since the mid 90s, it's pretty incredible that they've remained so prominent in the music world for so long.  Plus they've stayed together!  From the start, they've been the same band, no member has ever left or quit.  They're starting a tour soon, I'm really hoping I'll get to see them, I never have before.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:10:52 PM »

They are one of my many other music obsessions besides The Beach Boys.  They haven't made one weak album since the mid 90s, it's pretty incredible that they've remained so prominent in the music world for so long.  Plus they've stayed together!  From the start, they've been the same band, no member has ever left or quit.  They're starting a tour soon, I'm really hoping I'll get to see them, I never have before.
Yes i'm new to all of their music. Smiley I've listened to all of their albums and i already have about 30 ultra favorites by them and the rest well i love as well. They are performing at coachella that's the only reason i'm even going there, you should buy some tickets before they start charging a sh*t load for em lol. What is your favorite album & song by them?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:16:50 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »

I'm so jealous of anyone who gets to go to Coachella this year.  They have such a good lineup but I'm all the way in New Jersey. 

I think In Rainbows is my favorite.  It was the first album of theirs I'd heard, I think it's just perfect from start to end.  As for favorite song, I would probably say Pyramid Song.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »

I like two of their albums - The Bends and OK Computer. After that, their music was trying too self consciously to be important and I found it to be repulsive.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 01:01:01 PM »

I'm so jealous of anyone who gets to go to Coachella this year.  They have such a good lineup but I'm all the way in New Jersey.  

I think In Rainbows is my favorite.  It was the first album of theirs I'd heard, I think it's just perfect from start to end.  As for favorite song, I would probably say Pyramid Song.
Ha ha ha You're right Smiley but the past couple years they had better line ups :/..
Yes when i heard Rainbows i was like wow this is close to a perfect album the only song on there i couldn't really connect with was "Videotape" i didn't like the sound of it musically :/.
Well as far as albums go my favorite is "The Bends".It's also the 1st album i heard by them.Smiley I can't just name one favorite song so i'll give you a list of 15 ultimate ones.
1. Optimistic
2. Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong
3. My Iron Lung   
4. Indian Rubber
5. Maquiladora
6. Permanent Daylight
7. Morning Bell
8. Dollars & Cents
9. Sulk
10. Coke Babies

Honorable Mentions : You, Bullet Proof I Wish I Was, Bodysnatchers, Bangers & Mash, I Might Be Wrong, Phillipa Chicken & Anyone Can Play Guitar
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:48:31 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 09:22:01 PM »

With Radiohead I have to go on a song by song basis. I made the attempt of getting into their catalog a couple years back and found myself skipping over at least half the songs on every single album, and the skipping became much more frequent from Kid A on. I find You, Creep, Thinking About You, Stop Whispering, Ripcord, Anyone Can Play Guitar from Pablo Honey palatable...The Bends-Planet Telex, Just, The Bends, High and Dry, Street Spirit, Nice Dream, Fake Plastic Trees, My Iron Lung...OK Computer-No Surprises, Karma Police, Exit Music, Electioneering...Kid A-Idioteque, National Anthem, Morning Bell...Amnesiac onwards just seems like more of the same old pretentious, "important", "daring and experimental" crap over and over again. (And yes, I've listened to every album except TKOL enough times to know the later stuff doesn't do it for me.) They've been stuck in a rut for the past decade, IMO. I would LOOOOOVVVEEE it if RH did an album of mid to late 60s bubblegum and garage rock oldies covers...no one would expect that! Then follow it up with a classical opera, and follow that up with an 80s-style robo-funk and hip-hop record! And a little humor and joy in the music wouldn't hurt either. Don't take everything so damn seriously, Thom!

EDIT: Took out the lol smileys after "daring and experimental"...thought it made my already snarky and tool-headed post seem almost condescending.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:24:22 PM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 10:22:37 PM »

I like Radiohead, although OK Computer is widely considered their best work, my personal favorite is In Rainbows.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:31:27 PM »

I like Radiohead, although OK Computer is widely considered their best work, my personal favorite is In Rainbows.
My Favorite album is The Bends Smiley
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »

Radiohead is my favorite group next to the Beach Boys and the Beatles.  An excellent band with an excellent catalog I'll never get sick of.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »

Radiohead is my favorite group next to the Beach Boys and the Beatles.  An excellent band with an excellent catalog I'll never get sick of.
whats your favorite songs by them? Smiley
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »

Explain the greatness of Ok Computer to me. I've tried to understand it.

I love the Bends, I like experimental stuff like Pyramid song and Motion picture soundtrack but the entire Ok Computer goes over my head.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:35:01 AM »

I love the Bends, I like experimental stuff like Pyramid song and Motion picture soundtrack but the entire Ok Computer goes over my head.
The 1st time i checked it out i was like wtf this is their magnum opus?! lol
Radiohead is a band some take a while to get into they are all about their progression,diversity and creativity Smiley
Listen to the whole "Ok Computer" and don't skip ..but before you listen to it smoke some marijuana it'll enhance the musical pleasure. Close your eyes and let the music take you away.
Muntjac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »

I'm a radiohead obsessive, they were the band that turned me on to music, they also come from my hometown which Is cool, because I swear I can hear the landscapes I see around me here In their music.

The thing you wrote about No suprises having a sample of wouldn't It be nice In It Is bullsh*t, where do you get your information from?

I hope you enjoy their music anyway, my favourite album of theirs Is KID A, how to disappear completely Is beautiful beyond words, have you heard that song yet?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:28:51 PM by Muntjac » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 12:31:37 AM »

I'm a radiohead obsessive, they were the band that turned me on to music, they also come from my hometown which Is cool, because I swear I can hear the landscapes I see around me here In their music.

The thing you wrote about No suprises having a sample of wouldn't It be nice In It Is bullsh*t, where do you get your information from?

I hope you enjoy their music anyway, my favourite album of theirs Is KID A, how to disappear completely Is beautiful beyond words, have you heard that song yet?
Thom Yorke said it in a interview on some london late night show. Smiley

"No Surprises", one of the album's most melodic tracks, is layered with electric guitar inspired by the Beach Boys "Wouldn't It Be Nice"acoustic guitar, glockenspiel and vocal harmonies. - Info about "Ok Computer"

and yes i i heard that whole album Smiley and song. what is your top 10 songs by them?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:44:17 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »

Radiohead is a band some take a while to get into they are all about their progression,diversity and creativity Smiley
Listen to the whole "Ok Computer" and don't skip ..but before you listen to it smoke some marijuana it'll enhance the musical pleasure. Close your eyes and let the music take you away.
If there's enough drugs for it I'll give it a try some day.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »

lol it's not that bad..then again it's not for everybody either...but if you can enjoy the beach boys then you can radiohead Smiley it's not as bad as smiley smile or anything lol
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »

lol it's not that bad..then again it's not for everybody either...but if you can enjoy the beach boys then you can radiohead Smiley it's not as bad as smiley smile or anything lol
Both Smiley and ( Shocked ) Pablo Honey have some stronger songwriting than OKC, IMO.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 12:20:27 AM »

Both Smiley and ( Shocked ) Pablo Honey have some stronger songwriting than OKC, IMO.
pablo honey is a good debut :]...i really disagree with what all the major radiohead fans say.  Grin
Muntjac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »

"No Surprises", one of the album's most melodic tracks, is layered with electric guitar inspired by the Beach Boys "Wouldn't It Be Nice"acoustic guitar, glockenspiel and vocal harmonies. - Info about "Ok Computer"

and yes i i heard that whole album Smiley and song. what is your top 10 songs by them?

Sorry for calling bullshit so quickly man, I hadn't heard that interview before, I was a little confused regarding the word sample, as they didn't directly extract a part from 'wouldn't It be nice' which Is what I understand sampling to mean. Very Interesting link of two great songs though, I can definitley hear the influence.

Top ten! This will be the hardest list I'll ever compile (not ordered)

How to disappear completely
My Iron lung
morning bell
dollars and cents
The tourist
street spirit
thinking about you
Reckoner
In limbo
fake plastic trees

Yours?
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »

Sorry for calling bullsh*t so quickly man, I hadn't heard that interview before, I was a little confused regarding the word sample, as they didn't directly extract a part from 'wouldn't It be nice' which Is what I understand sampling to mean. Very Interesting link of two great songs though, I can definitley hear the influence.

Top ten! This will be the hardest list I'll ever compile (not ordered)

How to disappear completely
My Iron lung
morning bell
dollars and cents
The tourist
street spirit
thinking about you
Reckoner
In limbo
fake plastic trees

Yours?
It's ok i couldnt believe it at first either then i started paying attention to every detail in the song and i was completely blow away at how radiohead flipped the bridge part in wouldnt it be nice Smiley
awwww man i wanted it 2 be in order but it's pretty hard just picking 10 lol
ok it's good to see my iron lung there Smiley
and this is mine:
1. Optimistic
2. Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong
3. My Iron Lung   
4. Indian Rubber
5. Maquiladora
6. Permanent Daylight
7. Morning Bell
8. Dollars & Cents
9. Sulk
10. Coke Babies
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »

I've just listened to their early demos from when they were On A Friday for the first time...AWESOMENESS! They had a sense of humor, I can hear actual passion and emotion in Thom's voice, all over the place musically (in a good way-not just repeating the same "experiment" over and over again), not a whole lot of pretentiousness...and certain songs were actually FUN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFLe35sReWA  Love that xylophone/vibraphone/marimba! (not really sure of the differences)

Seems like that passion slowly faded away as their heads went further and further into their own asses, only to have their noggins completely stuck and unable to be removed by the time of Kid A.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 09:24:57 AM »

I've just listened to their early demos from when they were On A Friday for the first time...AWESOMENESS! They had a sense of humor, I can hear actual passion and emotion in Thom's voice, all over the place musically (in a good way-not just repeating the same "experiment" over and over again), not a whole lot of pretentiousness...and certain songs were actually FUN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFLe35sReWA  Love that xylophone/vibraphone/marimba! (not really sure of the differences)

Seems like that passion slowly faded away as their heads went further and further into their own asses, only to have their noggins completely stuck and unable to be removed by the time of Kid A.

wow thanx alot this doesnt even sound like radiohead :]...any other demos or unreleased songs?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »

wow thanx alot this doesnt even sound like radiohead :]...any other demos or unreleased songs?

Listen away!!
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=on+a+friday+radiohead&oq=on+a+friday+radiohead&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=542l4505l0l5094l21l19l0l8l8l6l223l2018l0.8.3l11l0

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »

Listen away!!
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=on+a+friday+radiohead&oq=on+a+friday+radiohead&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=542l4505l0l5094l21l19l0l8l8l6l223l2018l0.8.3l11l0

thanx so much :]
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx