gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:24:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CNN Brian Wilson Article  (Read 4751 times)
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »

Just noticed this article from CNN's front page! What a great way for people to be exposed to the band! Very well done, and being a featured article on a national news website is, to me, a HUGE step in the right direction for Brian and the band considering the upcoming Reunion.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/13/living/brian-wilson-creativity/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »

Man, he must be so bored telling the same stories

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »

At this point you would think Brian's "management" would give a reporter a list of past interviews and say..."Look up these interviews.  Come up with questions that aren't on these interviews.  Then you get your 10 minutes with Brian." 
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:05:14 PM »

I agree with Justin..Do your research or go to library..
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:10:53 PM »

Wendy to Carnie- "WTF, man? What was that? Did he just forget we exist?"

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »

I'm assuming the interviewer asked something about his wife,  and then he mentioned THEIR specific children.  I doubt he intentionally left out Wendy and Carnie, though I initially had the same reaction.

In regards to everyone saying its the same old same old, I still believe the way the writer presented the piece was very good.  Especially for anyone who has not yet been exposed to Brian or Smile, after reading an article like this they would undoubtedly be interested. It's good press, and I enjoyed it.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:23:19 PM »

he said he had 5 kids then went to tell their ages... wendy and carnie aren't kids..I think he mean "kids" in a literal sense (under 18)..because he describes them acting like kids...I don't think he meant "offspring" when he said it..
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:22:36 AM »

Good article, accurate and well written, and I like the video very much, as it shows Brian at ease. No deer-in-the-headlights eyes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pearlfisher David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 04:37:13 AM »

He's beautiful.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 06:20:57 AM »

Some of the comments at the bottom are disturbing.

You call a bunch of songs about surfing that all sound the same as "genius"? This guy is one step removed from a commercial jingle writer.

Sorry, but the Beach Boys (which I am a fan), are nothing more than an overrated beach band.  They stuck with a genre that died out in less than a decade.  Sure, they made some good tunes, but it was not "revolutionary.  He was trying to compete with the Beatles, it is obvious through his own words - Pet Sounds was him trying to compete with Rubber Soul.  And he had a mental breakdown when he heard Sgt. Pepper's...

Seriously... this guy still holds on to the idea that he didn't copy "Sweet Little Sixteen" when he wrote "Surfin USA".  Come on!

He had a way with harmonies, but other than that... there was nothing great about it.

Embarrassed
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:22:00 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 08:09:32 AM »

You call a bunch of songs about surfing that all sound the same as "genius"? This guy is one step removed from a commercial jingle writer.

Sorry, but the Beach Boys (which I am a fan), are nothing more than an overrated beach band.  They stuck with a genre that died out in less than a decade.  Sure, they made some good tunes, but it was not "revolutionary.  He was trying to compete with the Beatles, it is obvious through his own words - Pet Sounds was him trying to compete with Rubber Soul.  And he had a mental breakdown when he heard Sgt. Pepper's...

Seriously... this guy still holds on to the idea that he didn't copy "Sweet Little Sixteen" when he wrote "Surfin USA".  Come on!

He had a way with harmonies, but other than that... there was nothing great about it.

Embarrassed

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »

Good article, accurate and well written, and I like the video very much, as it shows Brian at ease. No deer-in-the-headlights eyes.
Absolutely, Andrew. One of the better articles written over the past few years. It was also nice to read what the professionals had to say about Brian the man, and his knowledge of music; his own and of other composers. Loved how they talked about all genre-mixing going on in Brian's music. Very cool article.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »

Really well done article. Either the writer is a fan who knows his stuff or he did a lot of research to get it right. And...Brian wears Louis Vuitton shoes? A far cry from the usual sneakers! Wonder if he does his own shopping or has someone pick out his clothes. I'm guessing the latter, but you never know.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 10:27:27 AM »

Great article, I found something a little sad when he said in the video "I don't know who knows me, but I hope they like my music", I don't know why but I found that sad, it seems as though he's still unsure whether people actually like his music or not.. or maybe I'm just looking too far into it.

One thing I have noticed though is that since just slightly before the SMiLE box was released, Brian seems one hell of a lot more relaxed in more interviews, more vocal too, I don't know if interviewers have wised up to the type of questions you have to ask him or whether something in the release of The Beach Boys' SMiLE has gotten some demon off his back or something.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 11:09:30 AM »

Great article, I found something a little sad when he said in the video "I don't know who knows me, but I hope they like my music", I don't know why but I found that sad, it seems as though he's still unsure whether people actually like his music or not.. or maybe I'm just looking too far into it.

One thing I have noticed though is that since just slightly before the SMiLE box was released, Brian seems one hell of a lot more relaxed in more interviews, more vocal too, I don't know if interviewers have wised up to the type of questions you have to ask him or whether something in the release of The Beach Boys' SMiLE has gotten some demon off his back or something.

It looked to me in that first part that he was asked to introduce himself for the camera and was uncomfortable doing it, so he just said, "I don't know who knows me." (And then asked them to take off his microphone!)
Seems like Brian is in relatively good mental health these days.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 11:42:39 AM »

He pulls an interesting face at 1:13 Cheesy

Lots of stammering and mumbling but for the most part he seems alright. Nice to hear him talk about some individual Smile songs, even though there's hardly anything revelatory about the things he has to say.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »

Nice to hear him talk about some individual Smile songs, even though there's hardly anything revelatory about the things he has to say.

That's the thing.  I'm not sure if Brian is up for it anymore these days, but I'm waiting for that interviewer that pushes Brian a little bit with questions about the songs.  The only way to achieve that would be to have a true fan sit across from him...and not have a Q&A with him but as real of a conversation he can have with Brian.  Brian seemed alright in the video but he did seem a little nervous.  Again, in terms for the scope of this interview--he did fine but it would be nice to get Brian's perspective on subjects other than the stuff we can find on his Wikipedia page.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 04:43:45 PM »

The interviewer forgot Brian existed between 1967 and 2011.  Since Wendy and Carnie were born and grew to adulthood in that time, they weren't part of the interview.  Or about 20 albums of music Brian was involved with in between, etc. 

Remember he's a GENIUS, but only because SMiLE was so WEIRD.  Absolutely no genius in , oh, sunflower/20/20/love you/holland/Brian Wilson/AdultChild/ Orange Crate Art/TLOS/ Gershwin Album, Disney Album/etc.

No genius in any of that.  All of that was from someone else. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 04:49:53 PM »

Nice to hear him talk about some individual Smile songs, even though there's hardly anything revelatory about the things he has to say.

That's the thing.  I'm not sure if Brian is up for it anymore these days, but I'm waiting for that interviewer that pushes Brian a little bit with questions about the songs.  The only way to achieve that would be to have a true fan sit across from him...and not have a Q&A with him but as real of a conversation he can have with Brian.  Brian seemed alright in the video but he did seem a little nervous.  Again, in terms for the scope of this interview--he did fine but it would be nice to get Brian's perspective on subjects other than the stuff we can find on his Wikipedia page.

Yup, that's key.  He did a radio interview with this kind of weird guy a few years back, who was excellent.  He basically talked with Brian about his favorite restauraunts and things.  It set the mood where Brian got out of his "bullshit for the interviews" mode and got him just talking like a normal person.  In THAT gear, you could get some incredible stories out of him.

I'd imagine all his friends (which I understand he has quite a considerable amount of long-time friends) probably have stories he's told them that are amazing. 

I think when Brian does interviews, he just goes into "I'm doing promotional work!" mode and says the same stories because they ask the same questions.  Even if they ask a different question he gives the same answer, you have to break him out of that and get him to relax.

Awesome to see him doing so well, though, Go Brian!!!!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »

I love seeing these interviews of Brian -- he is such a beautiful, spiritual person.

I am sure that, when his entire history is finally written, he will be seen as the Mozart of 20th / 21st century pop/rock 'n' roll!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »

Yup, that's key.  He did a radio interview with this kind of weird guy a few years back, who was excellent.  He basically talked with Brian about his favorite restauraunts and things.  It set the mood where Brian got out of his "bullsh*t for the interviews" mode and got him just talking like a normal person.  In THAT gear, you could get some incredible stories out of him.

I'd imagine all his friends (which I understand he has quite a considerable amount of long-time friends) probably have stories he's told them that are amazing. 

I think when Brian does interviews, he just goes into "I'm doing promotional work!" mode and says the same stories because they ask the same questions.  Even if they ask a different question he gives the same answer, you have to break him out of that and get him to relax.

Awesome to see him doing so well, though, Go Brian!!!!

Absolutely right.  And I do recall a radio interview he did just last year where I was quite impressed with Brian's demeanor.  Calm, and actually quite talkative.  I'm not sure if it's the same one you remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m1va4JjgfY&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:56:13 PM by Justin » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »

That's not the same one I'm thinking about, but that looks like a good interview, too. 
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »

Embarrassed

Unfortunately the vast majority of American's still haven't discovered 'Pet Sounds' and 'Smile' and still view the BB as a cheesy oldies surf band
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:40:19 PM by sidewinder572 » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »

What's excellent about articles like these though, is that someone persuasive enough can help convince the general public that Brian WAS in fact a genius, and there was so much more to him than surf and car songs, so much more to the Beach Boys.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx