gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:38:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PM Magazine - The Beach Boys - The Tension Behind the Music - Carl / Brian  (Read 7122 times)
InAnOcean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:35:19 AM »

Here's an excerpt from a PM Magazine special called the Beach Boys - The Tension Behind the Music.  Both Brian and Carl Wilson are briefly interviewed.  The interviewer asks Brian if he thinks he's a genius and a shaper of modern music, and Brian discounts any of those notions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSLclEJ0IAQ
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:53:55 AM »

Thank you! Never saw this. And although sick, Brian seems quite normal.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »

Judging by the hairstyles & wardrobe (including Mike's in the concert footage...and also the fact Brian is playing bass in that footage), I hafta say 1978.
Pretty cool.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 12:04:53 PM »

Here's the proof that Brian had put on weight in 1978.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:03:19 AM »

I've seen the complete segment of this. Carl is also interviewed. I have to disagree about Brian seeming fairly "normal" or ok in this. His hair is dirty and so is his beard. He's gaining weight again. Notice that he seems to be turning his head away from the interviewer. The guy doing the interview has to kind of pry the answers out of Brian. The really interesting part is the Carl interview. He seems high as a kite. He's really spaced out and "groggy". He's not in as bad of a shape as when the group toured Australia, but you can tell he's on something. If you look really closely, you can see handwriting on Carl's hand. Probably a setlist.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 03:28:37 AM »

Never saw BW doing an interview in such terrible shape. His voice is almost gone, he can't even face the camera and at the beginning he looks like he's about to break out in tears.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:46:50 AM »

I have to disagree about Brian seeming fairly "normal" or ok in this.

Well, I guess I'm hardened.... Grin
I just meant that his answers were not as crazy and nervous as at other times. But from his looks, yeah, you're right of course

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
InAnOcean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »

Glad you guys enjoyed having the opportunity to check out these interview pieces.  If anybody has the full segment, please feel free to share!  I think my favorite part is when Brian says "they say write about what you go through or write about things you do but uh... things I do, I wouldn't wanna write about that."

Jay, there is actually a piece of an interview with Carl on the video I posted.  I personally don't think he looks like he's under the influence of anything that affect his speech and ability to communicate clearly in an alert manner.  Are you referring to a different interview that I'm missing?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »

I hadn't actually watched the entire clip before I posted. Oops.   Grin It just seems to me that Carl is...somewhere else. Maybe he was just really distracted about something.

MBE
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 09:00:03 PM »

I always thought Carl was out of it that day too. Brian was in rough shape and was in the hospital soon after.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »

Notice how Carl's hair is still quite long and somewhat "unkempt", similar to the Australian tour. By the way, I can't remember where, but somewhere on this board somebody talked about the concert that you can see a clip of in the PM footage. I believe that the general consensus was that the concert took place in New Haven in 1978.

InAnOcean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »

I hear you, Jay.  I suppose it's impossible to determine.  I really dig Carl's overall sense of calm in the majority of clips I see him.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if he was on something, though I think it could go either way here.  I'd love to see this entire special!  I have more of it, but it absolutely is not the full broadcast.  It cuts off cold.

I now have the Melbourne concert from 78 and this, but I am really really looking for more footage from the Love You era.  I am desperately seeking a copy of the Beach Boys in Largo concert, but right now I can't pay 25 dollars online for a copy.  Could anybody help?  I have the Melbourne DVD if that is any incentive to share.   
MBE
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 09:33:20 PM »

I hear you, Jay.  I suppose it's impossible to determine.  I really dig Carl's overall sense of calm in the majority of clips I see him.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if he was on something, though I think it could go either way here.  I'd love to see this entire special!  I have more of it, but it absolutely is not the full broadcast.  It cuts off cold.

I now have the Melbourne concert from 78 and this, but I am really really looking for more footage from the Love You era.  I am desperately seeking a copy of the Beach Boys in Largo concert, but right now I can't pay 25 dollars online for a copy.  Could anybody help?  I have the Melbourne DVD if that is any incentive to share.    
Mine comes from two sources but I have the whole thing. PM me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:40:22 PM by Mike Eder » Logged
InAnOcean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »

Hey Mike, thanks for responding!  I just sent you a PM, but my computer is acting a little strange so I'm not sure if the message is going to come through 3 times, or perhaps it didn't come through at all.  Please let me know!  Thanks!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 03:10:10 AM »

The PM Magazine segment was filmed at the annual Day on the Green  Concert in Oakland on May 28 1978.  The uncut piece has a little footage of the concert
MBE
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 04:15:54 AM »

Hard to imagine how quickly Brian gained that weight back. Part of 1977 he was actually thin.
ghost
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 09:00:48 AM »

I've seen the complete segment of this. Carl is also interviewed. I have to disagree about Brian seeming fairly "normal" or ok in this. His hair is dirty and so is his beard. He's gaining weight again. Notice that he seems to be turning his head away from the interviewer. The guy doing the interview has to kind of pry the answers out of Brian. The really interesting part is the Carl interview. He seems high as a kite. He's really spaced out and "groggy". He's not in as bad of a shape as when the group toured Australia, but you can tell he's on something. If you look really closely, you can see handwriting on Carl's hand. Probably a setlist.  Grin

Oh stop, dirty hair and beard? Come on. And when have interviewers NOT had to pry for answers from this man? As for turning his head - he's getting stupid questions like always! Durr hey Brian I read u were a genius, is it true? YES IT'S ALL TRUE, I AM MAGNIFICENT, I HAVE WRITTEN SOME OF THE BEST MUSIC EVER!!!

Answers are contained within the questions. If you ask Brian, are you a genius? There's no way for him to answer affirmatively whatsoever. if he said yes, it would sound like arrogance- the ego taking claim for innate talent or creativity. So since we know the answer already what's the point in asking it?

He looks realistically depressed about something. Like he's assessed his life and is not all that enthusiastic about it but suffering through it regardless. But crazy? Out of it? Nah. I look worse than him, right now.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 08:18:09 AM »

You'll note that just like now Brian had his ups and downs. Only at most a month before he taped an app on American Bandstand with Celebration and looked pretty up there-even answering questions from Mr. Clark. 
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »

Brian's particular brand of honesty in interviews shocks me every time I hear/read it. It always makes me feel uncomfortable and a little embarrassed. I'm not sure what it is. Partially, I believe it's a reaction to seeing Brian make himself so vulnerable in public. But I think another part is realizing how different his answers would be from mine if I were in his place. Surely I would have made up a nice little lie to to gloss everything over.

Was he always like this? Do you think this could be something that came with his illness?

Also, why is posting in old threads discouraged on this board? I feel like that's like.... the opposite of how it should be. Hah.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:04:35 PM by ivy » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx