gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:19:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Touring musicians 1967-2011 (rough guide)  (Read 20563 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 01:17:24 AM »

During some shows in early March 1991 (including The Spectrum, Philadelphia PA on the 4th), Daryl Dragon replaced Mike Meros on keyboards.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 03:42:11 AM »

Adrian Baker didn't join in May 1981.  He was invited to guest at a gig at Westbury Music Fair in early June 1981 and then joined the band for their tour that started on June 20 1981. Jeff Foskett's first gig was South Africa-(Dec 24 1981) after playing with Mike's band that year.  Also Dennis Dragon wasn't just a drummer in 71-72. He filled in on many tours starting in 1968.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 03:49:18 AM »

Phil Shenale and Sterling Smith both played 78-79. Ron Altbach was not in the band in 73 or 74. He joined in 75.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, 04:51:11 AM »

During some shows in early March 1991 (including The Spectrum, Philadelphia PA on the 4th), Daryl Dragon replaced Mike Meros on keyboards.

And Madison Square Garden, I'm told.  Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2012, 04:58:00 AM »

Phil Shenale and Sterling Smith both played 78-79. Ron Altbach was not in the band in 73 or 74. He joined in 75.

Ian, a fan's review of the 11/13/74 Shippenburg show mentioned Altbach's presence.  Ron has told me his first gig was the day before, November 12, at  the Convention Center in Niagara Falls NY. Smiley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »

Cool-I did not know that.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »

And Madison Square Garden, I'm told.  Smiley

I need to revise this - I belive at the MSG show, Daryl played ALONGSIDE Meros, prior to taking over for him for a few shows.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2012, 05:54:26 PM »

I was gonna ask you about that Craig! Either way, that would have been something to see. I didn't know Daryl joined the Beach Boys on stage since he left in 1972 and then joined Al's band in 1999. Maybe Daryl was on piano or organ and Meros played the keyboards, but either one could have been playing multiple keyboards.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2012, 07:22:19 PM »

I was gonna ask you about that Craig! Either way, that would have been something to see. I didn't know Daryl joined the Beach Boys on stage since he left in 1972 and then joined Al's band in 1999. Maybe Daryl was on piano or organ and Meros played the keyboards, but either one could have been playing multiple keyboards.

Toni and Daryl both joined the Boys onstage for part of the encore at one of the L.A. Greek Theatre shows in '81.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2012, 09:14:54 PM »

... but anyway......I've never heard of these guys. Maybe somebody could fill in the blanks ...

... ERNIE SMALL ...

I recall hearing that The Ernie Small Band backed up the BBs in 1968.  Perhaps he was the leader of the horn section they used back then which consisted four or five guys on stage, each sitting behind one of those little bandstand boxes like they had on the Lawrence Welk show.  From the concert I saw that summer, my recollection is that the guys in the horn section were seated behind the BBs but not as far back as Dennis on the drum kit, and they would stand up whenever it was time for them to play.  This was during the white suit era, and while some have stated that the white suits and bandanas looked uncool, at the time they were a big improvement over the striped shirts.  But having the a horn section sitting behind those bandstand boxes (I'm probably using the wrong term here) seemed totally uncool to me for a rock band, like something an old geezer like Murry (who was younger then than I am now) would have suggested and for some reason the guys went along with.  Brian was in the audience at the concert I attended (in San Diego) and I had the impression he was there to see how the guys and their current backing musicians sounded.  (And Ian, if you're reading this, I will get back to you very soon with more details!)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:16:25 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2012, 12:25:54 AM »

I'm kind of confused. Did Adrian Baker come and go between 1981 and 1982? An audience recording of the March 1982 Westbury Music Fair confirms that Jeff was there, but Adrian wasn't.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2012, 10:26:27 PM »

Jay, by far the best performance of Adrian Baker's career with the Beach Boys was on July 5, 1981 in Long Beach, California.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »

Jay, by far the best performance of Adrian Baker's career with the Beach Boys was on July 5, 1981 in Long Beach, California.
If that was the best he could do, perhaps he should have sought out another profession.  Grin Although, being Mike Love's touring groupie probably paid well.  Evil  Wink

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2012, 04:41:22 AM »

I'm kind of confused. Did Adrian Baker come and go between 1981 and 1982? An audience recording of the March 1982 Westbury Music Fair confirms that Jeff was there, but Adrian wasn't.

Adrian was gone by late '81, but came back by June of '82 (yes, he and Jeff were BOTH there at that point, Jeff singing most of the falsetto parts).  Adrian was playing guitar & a lot of electric piano while Bruce was on the baby grand...for the shows Brian played, Adrian was moved to mostly, or exclusively, guitar while Brian & Bruce handled the pianos.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »

Now Mikie i KNOW your kidding about 7-5-81..!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2012, 11:35:08 PM »

Career peak for the whole band, in my opinion.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2012, 12:42:55 AM »

Career peak for the whole band, in my opinion.
Al Jardine was sure on the ball with his performance of Wouldn't It Be Nice. Brian hit some notes on Be My Baby that haven't been heard since.  Wink

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »

That's what happened when Carl wasn't around to crack the whip.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »

Many thanks for all the corrections and additions - I took the basics from Eric's splendid setlist archive and, as wonderful as it is, there are inevitably a few gaps.

AGD, thank you for reminding me of Eric's setlist archive.  Yes, WOW, it truly is excellent, and it's been a while since I visited.

Here's the URL for anyone who doesn't know.  Check it out!

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/setlists.html

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »

Many thanks for all the corrections and additions - I took the basics from Eric's splendid setlist archive and, as wonderful as it is, there are inevitably a few gaps.

AGD, thank you for reminding me of Eric's setlist archive.  Yes, WOW, it truly is excellent, and it's been a while since I visited.

Here's the URL for anyone who doesn't know.  Check it out!

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/setlists.html

Thanks!  It's been a while since I've updated, although I've been meaning to for 2 years now.  I'm looking for a way to automate submissions.  Meaning that contributors could fill out an online form, submit it, have it automatically formatted, and have the formatted file waiting for me to approve it with a few clicks.  If anyone with some programming savvy could help out with this, it would be greatly appreciated!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »

Thanks!  It's been a while since I've updated, although I've been meaning to for 2 years now.  I'm looking for a way to automate submissions.  Meaning that contributors could fill out an online form, submit it, have it automatically formatted, and have the formatted file waiting for me to approve it with a few clicks.  If anyone with some programming savvy could help out with this, it would be greatly appreciated!

I might be able to do something like that -- is your server set up to use any particular programming language (e.g. ASP pages, server-side JaveScript, Perl, Python, etc)?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:24:13 PM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »

I think Jef Foskett played with them at a show I saw in 1978 at Giants Stadium in New Jersey.  Also on the show that day were Pabl0 Cruise and the Steve Miller Band.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »

I think Jef Foskett played with them at a show I saw in 1978 at Giants Stadium in New Jersey.  Also on the show that day were Pabl0 Cruise and the Steve Miller Band.

You must be mistaken either about Foskett or about the date. Foskett only met Mike Love in 1979. He toured in Mike's Endless Summer band in 79 and 80, then joined the touring BBs when Carl quit, in 1981.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »

Daryl  Dragon was on keyboards for the Beach Boys'   3-5 nite run at the Universal Ampitheater , Los Angeles during the  summer  of ' 79.   I definitely remember seeing Daryl for the entire show I attended.  It was the only time I heard them perform Peggy Sue.

I hope no one else posted this and if I did post the same info again, I'm sorry.

jimmy19029
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »

RICKY  CASTRATA

Do they mean Richie Cannata? This might be a joke name for him.

JOE  POLLARD

Joe briefly played drums for The Grass Roots in early 1972. I think this was before he was with The Beach Boys

JOHN  RENNER

Renner played sax with The Beach Boys in 1991.

EDDIE TUDURI

Eddie was with the Beach Boys sometime in the early 70s, it says on his website. He's also played drums with Chilliwack, Rick Nelson and others.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx