gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:08:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is This New? Memphis Tennessee 1996  (Read 5826 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »

Last time I saw the band with Carl was August 3 or 4 1997 at the Glen Helen pavilion just outside of LA.  Long story I won't go into, but I actually rode into the venue on the Beach Boys' bus, just across the aisle (3 feet?) from Carl and Gina sitting next to me. The entire band except for Mike was on the bus. Mike had arrived separately with Elliott Lott. Chatted with Carl VERY briefly, much more briefly than in past years, but he seemed in good spirits.  I will say that Gina was in exceptionally good spirits, joking and laughing.  Carl was obviously uncomfortable and very bloated from the chemo treatment.  He did in fact have his beard at that time. He stood for California Girls, then sat.  He then stood for SOS and GOK, but sat the rest of the show.  His doctors from UCLA were at the show and Carl acknowledged and thanked them for "saving my life" just before launching into GOK. Being LA, there were many backstage that night within the BB extended family, and the word was indeed that he was going to make it.  As always, he sounded amazing.  

Thanks for that...Would that they had been correct about Carl's condition...saw him June, '97 and just had that sinking feeling...Carl was on a stool and the concert had the slow motion feeling of a "78 rpm being played at 33 rpm" while the audience held its collective breath...Clearly the shows were tailored to his physical requirements at the time...

What a privilege that he was amongst us...

Absolutely.  Besides having the best voice I have ever heard, he was gracious to a fault. He ALWAYS took time for the fans, and those who just wanted a minute with him.  He never said no to anyone that I ever saw, even when he was running late (which was almost always), or suffering from the effects of a deadly disease. He had that way of knowing this might be the highlight of someone's life, just getting a minute with Carl Wilson, and he was gracious to those people (like me), always thanking US which I found ironic.  I say this after meeting Carl not once, but many times over the years, in many different situations, so he was consistent in his demeanor. He was a great guy, one person I wish  everybody on this board had the chance to meet.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:29:28 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »

Where is the download link?

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 12:51:25 PM »

Somehow I always get the feeling that if Audree hadn't passed away during his illness, Carl would still be with us.

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »

I agree with ..Southbay + Filldepage.. AEGIR .i would never lie on this board.Everything i posted is fact,,CW had no beard .BUT. It did appear that he was tryin to grow his beard back.His face was scruffy so to speak..I would never mislead anyone here..The best BB board on the planet.Im tryin to state fact + make sure the BB legend is correct..And i was totally sober for the 97 show..i WAS ON A LOAD And had to get to Vancouver Wa. to deliver freight The next morning i had 36 hrs to get there and deliver load..Reno is a long way from Vancouver..In fact i took a taxi from the truck stop + back + left the rig at truck stop.I drove out of route thinking this might be the last time i see CW with BB..Unfortunately i was correct..Paul
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 02:15:50 PM »

Somehow I always get the feeling that if Audree hadn't passed away during his illness, Carl would still be with us.

How so? Wasn't he pretty much terminal before she died?

Sad

I didn't even know he was ill, so his death was a huge shock to me.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 02:56:07 PM »

I agree with ..Southbay + Filldepage.. AEGIR .i would never lie on this board.Everything i posted is fact,,CW had no beard .BUT. It did appear that he was tryin to grow his beard back.His face was scruffy so to speak..I would never mislead anyone here..The best BB board on the planet.Im tryin to state fact + make sure the BB legend is correct..And i was totally sober for the 97 show..i WAS ON A LOAD And had to get to Vancouver Wa. to deliver freight The next morning i had 36 hrs to get there and deliver load..Reno is a long way from Vancouver..In fact i took a taxi from the truck stop + back + left the rig at truck stop.I drove out of route thinking this might be the last time i see CW with BB..Unfortunately i was correct..Paul

I just looked at the crazy funny YouTube with the roadies dressed as hula girls...and don't doubt you for a minute.  I saw them that same week of that video whose link is on page one of this thread.  But, my pictures are awful.  No telephoto lens and a Brand X camera.  I'd love to see some footage of that season.  We have much to be grateful for, that he put on his shoes, when he could have been relaxing in some paradise location, but chose to say goodbye to us.  Courage defined.

It was a  mob scene at the stage, with people clamoring to get one last look at that angel of a man.  The people were about 10 deep and I might have been thrown out, myself.   LOL

What you can see is everyone who is near the stage clapping for him.  Carl does still have some kind of beard, and hair, shorter than his usually glossy locks.  You saw him nearly 2 months later, and much could have changed.   
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »

Courage defined..GREAT quote.! With all due respect to you i think Carl would have lived longer if he had bowed out of the 97 tour..What.  is really weird is this..In the 70"all of BB bought property in Hawaii.. AS retirement property.2 of them never got to retire there..I suspect that property has been sold by now
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 09:01:21 PM »

I think that perhaps Carl would have been with us longer if he had stayed at home resting as apposed to touring. But the sad fact is that lung cancer is a pretty serious thing no matter what stage it may be in. Once it spreads to the brain, then that's pretty much it. I think if Carl had stayed home he may have made it to late 1998 or maybe 1999, but most likely not much longer. Don't forget that it's been rumored that something was very wrong with Carl as far back as 1995. He looked pretty ill at the Farm Aid show from that year.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »

Are there even any pictures of Carl during those last few tours?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 12:48:22 AM »

I've only seen three. Out of those three, only two of them seem to circulate on the internet.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx