gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681013 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 02:03:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos In Reunion  (Read 51208 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: January 16, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »

Filledplage, you do understand I was sticking up for the Smiley Smile community with my post, right? I was pointing out that certain others on other forums seem to long down upon us.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 16, 2012, 06:32:25 PM »

At the end of the day Stamos has contributed NOTHING to The Beach Boys..

Real fans have valid reasons to not want to see him on stage
There is no such thing as a real fan, unless you literally mean fanatic, in which case it's really nothing to be proud of. A band is a band, and a person can like or dislike according to his or her tastes. There are so many ways to love music.

I disagree, A "real fan" is more relevant to The Beach Boys than any other band..

A "Real fan" knows they are more than just Surfin or Car songs, or in this context knows that over the years there have been more important players than Stamos in the band...

I have to say though Stamos joining the tour won't stop me from going, I'll go and I'll have a great time, I'll just feel it was a slight missed opportunity having him join and not The Flames for example

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 16, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »

Filledplage, you do understand I was sticking up for the Smiley Smile community with my post, right? I was pointing out that certain others on other forums seem to long down upon us.

Jim - I do understand reading between the lines, however, even if one feels "dumped on" by another group, with another point of view, why can't people discuss intelligently without getting hostile and insulting to those who don't agree, whether from multiple fora or not.  Can't people keep some dignity?

Why would anyone worry about another forum?  It is hard enough to keep people and positions straight.  I suspect that  there are those who post here, with "multiple personalities."  And who sign on with one ID, post, re-sign under another persona.  That is cheating and extreme, even for the net...Is it that important? 

This is only a movie!  Wink

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2012, 08:02:35 PM »

I don't get why casual fans would see the Beach Boys in concert. Tickets for Brian or Mike & Bruce cost like $90, I'm sure the reunion show will cost even more. Why would anyone want to pay that much money for a band they were not completely obsessed with?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Nicko1234
« Reply #304 on: January 16, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »

and just because a large percentage of the audience doesn't know David Marks, doesn't mean he has less of a right to sing "Forever"

and speaking of Dennis, how do you think HE would feel about the presence of John Stamos?

I've never said that David Marks has no right to sing forever and if Stamos joins them for a few shows then it doesn't stop David singing it at the others. My point was that if concertgoers had the choice, they would prefer to see John Stamos singing it... in the main.

How do I think Dennis would feel about Stamos joining them for a few shows? Well Carl was apparently fully in support of Stamos's version of Forever. And if he joins this tour at all then it can only be with Brian's consent (considering the number of Brian's guys who are part of the band, it's obviously not like Mike is in complete control). If Carl and Brian aren't bothered then I would say that they know more about their brother than I or you do. To be honest, I think if Dennis had been told 30 years ago that one of his songs would be in the band's setlist in 2012 then I doubt he would have cared who was singing it.

I just don't get why people are so up in arms before they know the facts. The truth is that if Stamos were to visit Japan with the band, for example, it would definitely be the right move. He has helped the band to attract many fans there and Full House is still one of the most popular shows. If he were part of things then it would get the band and the song 'Forever' more attention. Not sure what the problem is with that.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 16, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »

I don't mind Stamos introducing and/or playing some drums for the band...

HOWEVER- I DO NOT WANT HIM TO SING ANY LEADS ON ANY SONGS, ESPECIALLY FOREVER!

With all due respect to Stamos, let Brian sing that song. That would be awesome.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 16, 2012, 08:15:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure The Beach Boys and Brian's music were very popular in Japan long before Full House came around.

and I don't buy the claim that the Beach Boys' audience "wants" to see or hear Stamos play or sing any of their songs.
Nicko1234
« Reply #307 on: January 16, 2012, 08:16:06 PM »

I don't get why casual fans would see the Beach Boys in concert. Tickets for Brian or Mike & Bruce cost like $90, I'm sure the reunion show will cost even more. Why would anyone want to pay that much money for a band they were not completely obsessed with?

As far as this tour goes, I guess it's because it's billed as an event. Seeing the legendary band's 50th anniversary.

The same can be said of some of the promotions for Brian's tours...see the legend on tour for the first time in decades, Pet Sounds performed in its entirety, the legendary lost Smile album. When Brian's tours haven't had something like that to hang it on, ticket sales have sometimes been slow.

And for Mike and Bruce it's because they want a good time singing along to the songs they know.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:19:37 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #308 on: January 16, 2012, 08:19:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure The Beach Boys and Brian's music were very popular in Japan long before Full House came around.

and I don't buy the claim that the Beach Boys' audience "wants" to see or hear Stamos play or sing any of their songs.

Of course The Beach Boys were popular in Japan before. But Stamos did help them to attract new fans. Indisputable and I've met Japanese people who have said this and claimed that Forever is their favourite song because of him.

If the audience don't want to hear Stamos play or sing then why do they cheer for him when he does?
MBE
« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »

Worst idea ever! There I said it.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 16, 2012, 08:28:52 PM »

they cheer because it's a concert and they're enjoying themselves and they will applaud the music after every song. it's what audiences do.

but no one really came there to hear John Stamos perform as a Beach Boy, and nobody prefers Stamos to an actual Beach Boy singing the songs. i don't buy that.
Nicko1234
« Reply #311 on: January 16, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »

they cheer because it's a concert and they're enjoying themselves and they will applaud the music after every song. it's what audiences do.

but no one really came there to hear John Stamos perform as a Beach Boy, and nobody prefers Stamos to an actual Beach Boy singing the songs. i don't buy that.

It goes against what so many people have said though. That at some shows many fans have said that they've gone there to see him specifically. And have screamed for him throughout.

Nothing against David but apart from the hardcore I doubt people would care if he didn't sing a note all evening.

But you can't tell people things they don't want to know as they say...
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 16, 2012, 08:34:25 PM »

If the audience don't want to hear Stamos play or sing then why do they cheer for him when he does?

40% are over-age women who find him atractive, 7% are wasted, 3% refuse to cheer such bull-merda, and 50% are clapping because it is over.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 16, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »

I think Mike should pay attention to what the fans want sometimes. We're the ones (besides Brian Wilson) providing him with a career.

Whoa there, pardner.  If anyone's been providing Mike with a career, it's not a few thousand die-hard fans, but the millions of surf-n-cars-loving Full-House-watching plebs who have kept paying his bills all these years.

Me, I think a proper Beach Boys reunion celebration thing should cover the whole range of the experience -- the edgy and the square.  This is a band which appeals to everybody from the mediocre-whitebread-sitcom audience to the terminally hip.  Only fair to acknowledge both.  Worst comes to worst?  If people come to cheer for Uncle Jesse and then get their socks knocked off by "You Still Believe In Me" or "Heroes And Villains"... well that's the same journey people took in the '60s, and I took in the '90s, from grooving on fun-fun-fun to realizing there's so much more there.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Nicko1234
« Reply #314 on: January 16, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »

40% are over-age women who find him atractive, 7% are wasted, 3% refuse to cheer such bull-merda, and 50% are clapping because it is over.

Exactly.  Smiley

Nothing wrong with catering for over-age women. Some singers make a very good living from it.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 16, 2012, 08:58:45 PM »

LOL

You're avatar is so hilarious

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 16, 2012, 09:02:21 PM »

Debating over who's clapping for John Stamos and who's not is ridiculous.  He doesn't NEED to be there. He's not an integral part of their sound, their image, or any of their music.  He is unnecessary and unwanted (clearly) by a significant portion of the Beach Boys fanbase.  Why anyone would defend his being a part of this tour is beyond me.

On that note, I DO appreciate you, bossaroo, for being so kind as to respectfully tweet Mr. Stamos.  Perhaps, just perhaps, he will re-consider his invitation.  I have nothing against the guy, I just feel he has no place in touring with the band on a REUNION tour.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Nicko1234
« Reply #317 on: January 16, 2012, 09:45:09 PM »

He is unnecessary and unwanted (clearly) by a significant portion of the Beach Boys fanbase.  Why anyone would defend his being a part of this tour is beyond me.

Because he seemingly is wanted by some pretty important people... The Beach Boys! No poster has said they are delighted that he's appearing but if they want him to be part of their CELEBRATION then fair enough. The tour will play to hundreds of thousands of people and I doubt many will lose sleep over John Stamos's possible inclusion.
SG7
« Reply #318 on: January 16, 2012, 10:18:37 PM »

I think the fact we are all fighting about Stamos being there / not being there is sad in itself a little. Not trying to offend, but some of you are never satisfied with anything the BBs do to begin with. Heck they put out freaking Smile sessions and we spent threads picking it to death!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 16, 2012, 10:42:41 PM »

I think the fact we are all fighting about Stamos being there / not being there is sad in itself a little. Not trying to offend, but some of you are never satisfied with anything the BBs do to begin with. Heck they put out freaking Smile sessions and we spent threads picking it to death!

If we didn't then who would?  Grin
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 16, 2012, 11:19:56 PM »

ok. i'm willing to admit that some in the audience would rather hear Stamos more than Dave or even Brian. or at least watch Stamos shake his ass and play rockstar.

i'm also willing to say F*ck those people. they really shouldn't be there.

like someone else said, it would be like going to a Stones concert to hear David Hasselhoff. does not compute.
Nicko1234
« Reply #321 on: January 17, 2012, 12:03:42 AM »

like someone else said, it would be like going to a Stones concert to hear David Hasselhoff. does not compute.

In what way? I concede that The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones are both viewed as vaguely ridiculous live acts by some people but i would still say that The Rolling Stones have a very different reputation.

Over the years fans have had to witness the cheerleaders, Bruce in shorts (this would be worse than Stamos if repeated), Al's ponytail, Mike hitting on anyone and everyone, Brian unable to remember the words, Carl trying to dance, Dennis barely able to speak let alone sing etc. Plus you have 70 year-olds singing about growing up to be men and having fun, fun, fun with young girls. It's ludicrous whichever way you look at it.

Obviously I want the band to perform in as classy a way as possible but they are never going to be The Rolling Stones...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2012, 03:48:39 AM »

I think Mike & Bruce tickets cost significantly less than that. Certainly when they've played the UK it's been closer to about $70 for good seats and $50 for bad ones (converting to US currency). And they play lots of tiny, tiny gigs. My in-laws, who couldn't tell you the difference between the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean or Ronnie And The Daytonas, saw them at their local county fair last summer, in a town whose total population comes to less than the audience that saw them in Epsom a couple of months earlier.  They got to see them as part of the price of the ticket to the fair, which was about $20.

They loved it, incidentally.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 17, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »

Regarding

You're kind of a scumbag and The Beach Boys owe nothing to you or any others of your entitled ilk.

Well, while we are being truthful on the Internet and all to those we don't know!

and

you're kind of a dick but i wasn't gonna say anything. noticed you get pretty pissy when anyone disagrees with you. poor thing.

i happen to feel very strongly that John Stamos doesn't belong on stage during the Beach Boys 50th Anniversary. if that makes me a scumbag, oh f*cking well.

It woud be appreciated if the both of you would at least keep it civil (and it doesn't matter who started) . Sometimes I wonder why we have rules on this board at all...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: January 17, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »

It goes against what so many people have said though. That at some shows many fans have said that they've gone there to see him specifically. And have screamed for him throughout.

Nothing against David but apart from the hardcore I doubt people would care if he didn't sing a note all evening.

I disagree. Many people on this board seem to think that to the public this is just another Beach Boys concert. They don't. If tickets really sell that fast in Germany as it seems, they go because of the reunion/celebration factor. That's why the newspapers and music magazines write about it, why radio stations mention it (and who is member of the Beach Boys) and raffle tickets. Not because it's a Beach Boys concert but because it's THE Beach Boys. And they'll know who is part of the band and who isn't. Even if just for this one time. Look at how many headlines an appearance by Mike & Bruce (with that legendary name) or Brian made in the last years. Not too many....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx