gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:47:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos In Reunion  (Read 51025 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2012, 12:06:20 PM »

Do you think Stamos will get there fast or will he take it slow?

Win.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 16, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/beach-boys-stamos-0116-2012/

Stamos said he was perfectly willing to simply introduce the band at its concerts, but Mike Love, Brian Wilson and Co. have a little more in mind for the Full House star. They “asked me to be part of the show ... I feel very honored,” Stamos said.
Him giving a short introduction with an old friend of the band like Fred Vali wouldn't have been as much of a problem with me.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: January 16, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »

Stamos said he was perfectly willing to simply introduce the band at its concerts, but Mike Love, Brian Wilson and Co. have a little more in mind for the Full House star. They “asked me to be part of the show ... I feel very honored,” Stamos said.
Him giving a short introduction with an old friend of the band like Fred Vali wouldn't have been as much of a problem with me.

Same here.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 16, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

I created a Twitter account just to tell John Stamos to please reconsider joining the Beach Boys this year. I invite you all to do the same.  Wink
Considering your avatar, that is not a very Friendly thing to do. Not me, no thanks. The band can invite whoever they want. It is none of my business.

I wasn't mean about it. I just asked him to let the 50th Anniversary be about The Beach Boys. Someone should... and who knows? maybe he'll listen.

I think Mike should pay attention to what the fans want sometimes. We're the ones (besides Brian Wilson) providing him with a career.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 16, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »

I created a Twitter account just to tell John Stamos to please reconsider joining the Beach Boys this year. I invite you all to do the same.  Wink
Considering your avatar, that is not a very Friendly thing to do. Not me, no thanks. The band can invite whoever they want. It is none of my business.

I wasn't mean about it. I just asked him to let the 50th Anniversary be about The Beach Boys. Someone should... and who knows? maybe he'll listen.

I think Mike should pay attention to what the fans want sometimes. We're the ones (besides Brian Wilson) providing him with a career.

You're kind of a scumbag and The Beach Boys owe nothing to you or any others of your entitled ilk.

Well, while we are being truthful on the Internet and all to those we don't know!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 16, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »

you're kind of a dick but i wasn't gonna say anything. noticed you get pretty pissy when anyone disagrees with you. poor thing.

i happen to feel very strongly that John Stamos doesn't belong on stage during the Beach Boys 50th Anniversary. if that makes me a scumbag, oh f*cking well.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:53:16 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 16, 2012, 02:58:24 PM »

You're kind of a scumbag and The Beach Boys owe nothing to you or any others of your entitled ilk.

Niiiiiiiiiiice.

You got anything worthwhile to post here, Spacecase?  Been reading your posts lately and it seems like you're on this board just to start some sh!t here.  Why is that?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 16, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »

What is the issue with Stamos? If the band (even one or more of them) wants him there, why can't he be a part of the celebration? What does he do or not do that would make you want to do this Twitter posting thing? I've seen him with the band quite a few times and his appearances are pretty benign. Maybe you are just the person to articulate your point of view with a rational explanation/justification instead of all the smart-ass Uncle Jesse responses in this thread. Thanks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 16, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »

Same here.

I kind of like the old vs. new fan dynamic for introductions.
Fred Vali-1964/2012 fan who will introduce them at concerts.
John Stamos- 2012 fan who will introduce them at concerts.
Stamos can do something he has talents for, speaking using his acting skills.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:34:36 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 16, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »

Niiiiiiiiiiice.

You got anything worthwhile to post here, Spacecase?  Been reading your posts lately and it seems like you're on this board just to start some sh!t here.  Why is that?

Because he has an issue with the guy that started this board. Even though most of us don't even know who that guy is, and have never had any contact with that person. Most of us are just looking for a place on the internet to discuss The Beach Boys. But we're idiots.

Hopefully the poster in question will get over this and participate in a less sarcastic and bitter manner.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:12:15 PM by Jim » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 16, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »

Wouldn't that be something to have Fred Vail MC a coupla shows?

And now..............from Hawthorne, California...........to entertain you tonight.........the FABulous...........BEACH BOYS!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 16, 2012, 04:05:49 PM »

it's really simple. he's not a Beach Boy. he's a sitcom actor and according to his Twitter account, a "wannabe rock'n'roll drummer." i don't see how that justifies his inclusion in a reunion this big. as myself and others have pointed out, there are at least a dozen others who should be considered before Stamos.

if Mike wants to have him participate in the Mike & Bruce Revue, so be it. Mike's been cheesing up the band's image since the beginning.

but this is the 50TH ANNIVERSARY. It's a huge deal. Brian Wilson is back in the band he basically put on the map in the first place. Al Jardine and David Marks are back in the fold. SMiLE was just released and the Beach Boys are headlining the New Orleans Jazz Fest. They are finally being taken seriously and getting some long-deserved respect and attention from the media and the masses.

adding John Stamos to the mix really goes against all of that, in my opinion. It still just reeks of Mike trying to latch onto someone who's "cool" and "current" but just coming off as clueless.

The Twitter thing is no big deal... seems like everyone has an account and it took about 10 seconds to create. It just seemed like the only way to communicate with John Stamos instantly and directly. I respect the guy and I think he should respect thousands of Beach Boy fans who think he needs to bow out.

He won't keep me from going to any concerts this year, and he won't keep me from crying tears of joy when I get to hear my favorite music played, but he will look and feel very out of place up there. that's all.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 16, 2012, 04:19:45 PM »

The thing is that none of this seems to be Stamos' fault.  I don't know anything about Stamos as a person, but he comes across as self-effacing and humble in that TMZ clip, and seems to be at great pains to make it clear that he had no desire to impose himself on the shows without being asked outright.  I think ill-will or twitter campaigns directed towards him are sort of misdirected, since the real problem is with whoever it could be within the Beach Boys camp who thought it was a good idea to ask him to be in the shows.  It's not John Stamos who's showing insufficient respect to the Beach Boys legacy here, is what I'm saying.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 16, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »

I'm not hounding or harrassing the guy. I started a petition that very few will actually see or sign, and I sent him one "tweet". that's it.

I realize it's not his fault. He was apparently asked to participate and of course it's a huge honor. I just think he should think about the magnitude of the occasion and consider the band's legacy and millions of fans and realize he really doesn't belong up there.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »

At the end of the day Stamos has contributed NOTHING to The Beach Boys..

Real fans have valid reasons to not want to see him on stage

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »

What will Stamos do, exactly? On how many shows will he appear? Does anyone know? A cameo wouldn't hurt, a constant presence would, methinks.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 16, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »

I think a lot of the negative comments are the running around onstage looking like a wannabe. In other words....we are jealous! We want to be up there ourselves!!! Grin
Nicko1234
« Reply #292 on: January 16, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »

The concertgoers are the ones who provide Mike with a career. And Mike does pay attention to them which is why he performs the hits at the concerts. He knows that those are the songs people want to hear.  And if they have a choice between David Marks (who many have never heard of) and John Stamos singing Forever then who do you think they would choose?  

Creating a Twitter account just to post a message to John Stamos indicates that you really need to get out more. Masturbation can only satiate for so long...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 16, 2012, 05:04:05 PM »

At the end of the day Stamos has contributed NOTHING to The Beach Boys..

Real fans have valid reasons to not want to see him on stage
There is no such thing as a real fan, unless you literally mean fanatic, in which case it's really nothing to be proud of. A band is a band, and a person can like or dislike according to his or her tastes. There are so many ways to love music.

However, Stamos has contributed something: people enjoyed his presence (or, if not, their cheering was an odd form of demonstrating dislike). If it isn't something you, or some other group of fans, like, that's fine. Irrelevant, but fine. Most people who might attend these shows really just don't much care. If the self-proclaimed elite minority protest and don't attend, frankly, I can't imagine anyone would care. The tours will sell regardless. People will have fun regardless.

I mean this without judgment to Slim (whom I just quoted because it got me thinking enough to post) or anyone else, but I believe this: if something like this keeps you from enjoying this tour--if you're incapable of having a good time without the lineup, the program, et cetera, according to your own guidelines--I honestly feel sorry for you. I spent enough years as a snob, personally, and as I've opened myself more to music in recent years (and less about what this or that school of uber-fan approves of, promoted in some documentary, wrote about 40 years ago, or wrote but didn't release once and so it's gotta be good), I'm happier. A lot happier.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 16, 2012, 05:04:53 PM »

Masturbation can only satiate for so long...
You'd be surprised.

And on that note, people, I'm calling it a night. Not for ... wait ... DAMMIT.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 16, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »

Wouldn't that be something to have Fred Vail MC a coupla shows?

And now..............from Hawthorne, California...........to entertain you tonight.........the FABulous...........BEACH BOYS!

I got to see Fred introduce Brian and his band in Nashville a couple years back.  Very cool!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 16, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »

I think a lot of the negative comments are the running around onstage looking like a wannabe. In other words....we are jealous! We want to be up there ourselves!!! Grin
Yep, like I said earlier "Stamos Envy". Wink I've seen America, Jimmy Page, Ringo, Marshall Crenshall and a host of other guests up on stage with them, and what did they add to the career of The Beach Boys? Absolutely nothing! I see no difference with Stamos up there with them on stage. Thanks bossaroo for the explanation. I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 16, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

The concertgoers are the ones who provide Mike with a career. And Mike does pay attention to them which is why he performs the hits at the concerts. He knows that those are the songs people want to hear.  And if they have a choice between David Marks (who many have never heard of) and John Stamos singing Forever then who do you think they would choose?  

Creating a Twitter account just to post a message to John Stamos indicates that you really need to get out more. Masturbation can only satiate for so long...

sounds like you speak from experience there, pal.

i think it's pretty funny in this day and age when most everyone belongs to Twitter and wants the world to know what they're doing and thinking at any given second, the only thing that possessed me to open an account was to tell John Stamos he doesn't belong in the Beach Boys reunion. i figured some here would appreciate that.

it's fine if Mike wants to play mostly greatest hits and pre-Pet Sounds material. it's fine if he wants to invite Stamos out to "rock out" and look a fool. I just think he should try and rise above his typical schtick for this one tour. Because Brian is involved. Because Al and Dave are back. Because it's the 50TH FREAKIN' ANNIVERSARY.

and just because a large percentage of the audience doesn't know David Marks, doesn't mean he has less of a right to sing "Forever"

and speaking of Dennis, how do you think HE would feel about the presence of John Stamos?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 16, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »

PS - everyone who thinks Stamos adds some kind of youth appeal or "now" factor. I have two kids in high school, hip kids. neither of them know who John Stamos is.

proud papa.  Grin
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »

Niiiiiiiiiiice.

You got anything worthwhile to post here, Spacecase?  Been reading your posts lately and it seems like you're on this board just to start some sh!t here.  Why is that?

Because he has an issue with the guy that started this board. Even though most of us don't even know who that guy is, and have never had any contact with that person. Most of us are just looking for a place on the internet to discuss The Beach Boys. But we're idiots.

Hopefully the poster in question will get over this and participate in a less sarcastic and bitter manner.

Jim - This is an Internet-based "community of interest" - no less significant, than any other groups discussing, art or law or politics.  We are not idiots.  Most here are keenly knowledgeable about the most important American music of at least the latter half of the 20th century.  I've learned a lot, from the "distinguished guests," who did the sound, lots of photography and stuff that has been shared with this community of interest.  And those who have shared stories of members who are no longer with us.

I only regret with this debate, that people have forgotten or ignored the rules of civilty for this board, hurling insults, at others.  And, I don't get it.  Most BB fans I know are awesome people.  When they were not considered cool, that well-credentialed movie star, helped turn that around.  He was invited and accepted the invite.  Anyway, that is my two cents.  

Smile sessions are released, part of the reason ( I think) for this board, and that should bring enormous pride that maybe, the discussion here, may have played a small role in that event.  The second is the Celebration Reunion.  50 "Last Dates" (pun intended ) are not enough.  

But then, I'd see them sing every week, if I could...and not care what anyone thought.   Wink

This is a year to party, not to be at each others throats.  
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx