gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 11:10:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos In Reunion  (Read 51423 times)
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 14, 2012, 10:32:35 AM »

At the last Brian show I was at one of his daughters and her friend got on stage to up the chessiness to dance to Barbara Ann. Man was it awful.

More than a few friends first reaction to me when discovering The Beach Boys were doing something was "Oh great, is John Stamos going to be there too?"
Not in the most reverential manner either.....
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: January 14, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »

The question is not if Stamos is there or not, it's what his presence signals (apart from bad jokes between him and Mike). The Beach Boys trying doggedly to hold onto the success of Full House to be succesful themselves from it. It looks like they have no believing in their own and therefor need Stamos to be a success. What people don't seem to realize is that Full House nowadays is often considered as one of the most terrible sitcoms of the 80s and that Stamos to at least as many people is a joke. Again, I have nothing against him as a person, he might e a really cool guy but what he brings to the Beach Boys is more damaging than it is helpful.
And of course everyone should have a lot of fun at concerts. But there was a time when many people had fun yet the quality of the performance was terrible and not worthy. A show like this has to be both, entertaining and high quality.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 14, 2012, 02:01:53 PM »

John Stamos will neither increase or degrade the quality of the music or the performance of the music. From what I am hearing here in this thread is that The Boys' are already uncool and unhip. So, if Stamos is looked at that way too, what the hell is the difference whether he is with them or not? Both Brian and The Beach Boys shows have been of pretty high quality, so I don't expect that to change with this tour. I think these shows will be nothing short of a joyful celebration of the band and the music.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:02:44 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #228 on: January 14, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »

The question is not if Stamos is there or not, it's what his presence signals (apart from bad jokes between him and Mike). The Beach Boys trying doggedly to hold onto the success of Full House to be succesful themselves from it. It looks like they have no believing in their own and therefor need Stamos to be a success. What people don't seem to realize is that Full House nowadays is often considered as one of the most terrible sitcoms of the 80s and that Stamos to at least as many people is a joke. Again, I have nothing against him as a person, he might e a really cool guy but what he brings to the Beach Boys is more damaging than it is helpful.
And of course everyone should have a lot of fun at concerts. But there was a time when many people had fun yet the quality of the performance was terrible and not worthy. A show like this has to be both, entertaining and high quality.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 14, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »

The question is not if Stamos is there or not, it's what his presence signals (apart from bad jokes between him and Mike). 

His presence signals the fact that they'd like a friend of theirs, who like it or not, is a part of their history even if minor and relatively insignificant, to take a minor part in a celebration of their history. That's all. They've given you a lot of great music over the years, let them have this one little indulgence. Cool? Cool.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 14, 2012, 04:14:58 PM »

it's what that signifies- that this tour is a wacky, fun, "bring your kids" affair.  

Oh, perish the thought!!! That would have absolutely nothing to do with what the band's career actually has been over the decades, right?
The Beach Boys never needed an artistic "redemption". All the wonderful music they have put out over the years is more than enough to garner them their place among the heaviest hitters. Nothing they could do on this tour could significantly alter that, for positive or negative.
I swear, it is like you folks expect The Beach Boys to lead some uber-serious "recital" of everything ya'll deem to be "worthy" of your hard-won attention.
If ya'll are looking for a band like that, The Beach Boys just aren't for you, really. Go check out Sigur Ros or something similarly boring and one-dimensional.
If people from the official organisations are indeed monitoring this and other boards, I hope they then do the opposite of the snob-consensus, just to piss people off. Because what the band really is, in all its uncool, boorish, rah-rah, school-and-Hawaii-lovin' glory (AS WELL AS serious highlights ala Pet Sounds etc.), is pretty damn boss, and needs no redemption or approval from the Net Set.

RIGHT ON RIGHT ON PREACH IT BROTHAAAA
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 14, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »

it's what that signifies- that this tour is a wacky, fun, "bring your kids" affair.  

Oh, perish the thought!!! That would have absolutely nothing to do with what the band's career actually has been over the decades, right?
The Beach Boys never needed an artistic "redemption". All the wonderful music they have put out over the years is more than enough to garner them their place among the heaviest hitters. Nothing they could do on this tour could significantly alter that, for positive or negative.
I swear, it is like you folks expect The Beach Boys to lead some uber-serious "recital" of everything ya'll deem to be "worthy" of your hard-won attention.
If ya'll are looking for a band like that, The Beach Boys just aren't for you, really. Go check out Sigur Ros or something similarly boring and one-dimensional.
If people from the official organisations are indeed monitoring this and other boards, I hope they then do the opposite of the snob-consensus, just to piss people off. Because what the band really is, in all its uncool, boorish, rah-rah, school-and-Hawaii-lovin' glory (AS WELL AS serious highlights ala Pet Sounds etc.), is pretty damn boss, and needs no redemption or approval from the Net Set.

Different people like different things. Speaking for myself, that image of the band has never been why I'm a fan, and has been my least favorite aspect of the BBs. It's why, to me, Brian's shows have been the most satisfying presentation of the music -- not that BW is the most charismatic live performer -- but that they don't traffic in that kind of tacky nonsense.

So... to keep this little CHARADE up in your mind, do you just ignore all the stuff Brian did in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and off and on for the last decade as well?  When you hear a story, like, say, of someone seeing Brian out to dinner in Hawaii, and he's putting butter on his bread and sticking it to the side of his face, do you just ignore that?

Do you just ignore that Brian has an entire house of kids and dogs and he's actually pretty happy, not the perpetually depressed person he was on the smile album?  Do you just ignore all the videos in the 80's where Brian's singing somewhere, wildly off key in a hawaiian shirt (like that cool one with Ray Charles)?  Do you just ignore the video for "Getcha Back" even though Brian's right there at the end of it, looking sane as can be but participating in the cheeziest thing they ever did?

To keep this charade up in your mind, do you just ignore that Brian wrote ANY surf songs?  Do you just ignore it when he does an interview and says he would tour if they paid him enough? LOL 

The dorkiness of the band *STEMS* from Brian, not from Mike.  There's nothing wrong with it.  It takes a big c*ck to admit you like a band THAT dorky, you haven't gotten there yet. 

When I tell somebody I like the Beach Boys, and they give me a funny look, I say "Hell yeah! They're the greatest ever.  You don't like Surfin' USA?"  Then let them try to explain exactly what's wrong with Surfin' USA. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 14, 2012, 04:22:45 PM »

Don't get why the band thinks Stamos is still a relevant pop culture icon that fans would want see. His claim to fame, full house, was on TV so long ago.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 14, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »

Not that BW is the most charismatic live performer -- but that they don't traffic in that kind of tacky nonsense.

"Row, Row, Row Your Boat", cigarette lighter joke, and "I'm a Little Teapot" as examples. Brian's done his share of 'nonsense' too.
Oh, but it's cute when Brian does it. Wink

There is a difference between genuinely bonkers BW-led things and cringeworthy Mike stuff that perpetuates the myth of the BBs being a sun-and-fun, girls-girls-girls group. They are cousins, though, and neither is a paragon of coolness, I'll grant you that.

... but the Beach Boys *ARE a sun-and-fun, girls-girls-girls group.  Did you not see Brian play the festivals the last few years?  The people went crazy, and it wasn't because the harmony was in the right key.  It was because he showed up with sunshine, man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yMR53VcUSk&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL19E4BEE9A1AF1BD1

LOOK AT THAT FUCKING CROWD!  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 14, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »

Maybe your'e unaware: John Stamos is a cast member of "Glee", so he's pretty relevant. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 14, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »

Don't get why the band thinks Stamos is still a relevant pop culture icon that fans would want see. His claim to fame, full house, was on TV so long ago.
Did you ever think that he might have been invited because they all like him as a person. From the John Cowsill interview last month, he says Stamos is well liked by the band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 14, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and put it out there: If I ever I do a gig somewhere, I want John Stamos to show up. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 14, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »

Maybe your'e unaware: John Stamos is a cast member of "Glee", so he's pretty relevant.  
I was unaware of that. He is resourceful. The guy seems to always find a job. I guess we can all look forward to a Beach Boys Glee episode. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2012, 04:37:40 PM »

Did you ever think that he might have been invited because they all like him as a person. From the John Cowsill interview last month, he says Stamos is well liked by the band.
He can chill backstage with the band then or barely appear during Barbara Ann.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »

Now, this is getting ridiculous. I guess from this point forward we will be  Dead Horse
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:45:08 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 14, 2012, 04:46:35 PM »

Ah, we were already there.  This whole topic was beat to death 10 or 15 years ago. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 14, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »

Now, this is getting ridiculous. I guess from this point forward we will be  Dead Horse
We agree to disagree about Stamos. Smiley

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 14, 2012, 05:02:23 PM »

Different people like different things. Speaking for myself, that image of the band has never been why I'm a fan, and has been my least favorite aspect of the BBs. It's why, to me, Brian's shows have been the most satisfying presentation of the music -- not that BW is the most charismatic live performer -- but that they don't traffic in that kind of tacky nonsense.

So... to keep this little CHARADE up in your mind, do you just ignore all the stuff Brian did in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and off and on for the last decade as well?  When you hear a story, like, say, of someone seeing Brian out to dinner in Hawaii, and he's putting butter on his bread and sticking it to the side of his face, do you just ignore that?

Do you just ignore that Brian has an entire house of kids and dogs and he's actually pretty happy, not the perpetually depressed person he was on the smile album?  Do you just ignore all the videos in the 80's where Brian's singing somewhere, wildly off key in a hawaiian shirt (like that cool one with Ray Charles)?  Do you just ignore the video for "Getcha Back" even though Brian's right there at the end of it, looking sane as can be but participating in the cheeziest thing they ever did?

To keep this charade up in your mind, do you just ignore that Brian wrote ANY surf songs?  Do you just ignore it when he does an interview and says he would tour if they paid him enough? LOL  

The dorkiness of the band *STEMS* from Brian, not from Mike.  There's nothing wrong with it.  It takes a big clock to admit you like a band THAT dorky, you haven't gotten there yet.  

When I tell somebody I like the Beach Boys, and they give me a funny look, I say "Hell yeah! They're the greatest ever.  You don't like Surfin' USA?"  Then let them try to explain exactly what's wrong with Surfin' USA.  

Sheesh.

I don't think I -- or anyone talking about the reunion -- is saying that the Beach Boys or Brian didn't write or perform surf songs. Or that those songs aren't a vital part of their history and success. It's like saying puppies are cute -- it's self evidently true.

It's just that there are tasteful, cool ways of acknowledging that, and performing those songs, and there are less tasteful ways. There are ways of presenting those songs that acknowledge that they are part of _a body of work_ that goes deeper and further, both in terms of musical and lyrical content. Brian's band has always -- to me -- done an admirable job of presenting just such a balanced perspective. Yes, there are good times and surf songs in the encore -- as there should be.

But guess what? Brian also generally performed "Love and Mercy" as a second encore. You see how that balances things out?

And Mike's group, in recent years, has done this balancing act exceptionally well too, especially in their overseas shows. There are plenty of hits, but a good share of more obscure tunes and some crack musicianship. Mike has -- to his enormous credit -- embraced obscurities just as much as the BW outfit (and in recent years probably outpaced him on that front).

So I was certainly hoping the best for this reunion in terms of presentation. The Stamos issue, unfortunately, calls some of this into question. It suggests that both sides -- while willing and able to present respectful retrospectives on their own -- when united are making more dubious calls. I hope that isn't the case, and any Stamos is relegated to an encore, where he can be respectfully skipped by heading to the car early.

That's all.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:03:40 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 14, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »

"She got her daddies car, and she drove to the hamburger stand... NOW!
Seems she forgot all about the library like she told her old man... Now!
And with the radio blastin goes cruisin' just as fast as she can ... Now!
And she'll have FUn Fun Fun till her daddy takes her t-bird away"

What's the tastefull way to do that?  It's a song.  It's about a chick.  It's no big stretch to have chicks dancing on stage to it. 

"When some loud bragger tries to put me down, and says his school is great
I tell him right away, well what's amatter buddy, ain't you heard of my school?
It's number one in the state! So Be True To Your School!
Just like you would to your girls! Guys! 
Be True to your school.
Let your colors fly.   Be true to your school"

(all the while with the Beach boys going RAh RAh Rah RAh, Sis Boom Rah!" in the background.)

What's the classy way to present that in your mind?  If there's no cheerleader dancing on stage, do you just forget the lyrics have cheerleader parts?  Is it annoying to you that Brian dated a cheerleader and wrote that about a cheerleader?

I'm just struggling to understand how you don't like it when a band that is by all measures one of the dorkiest, un hip, corniest bands to ever exist... does something dorky, corny, or unhip.  IT's what they do.  It's who they are. 

The reason they are great isn't because they were hip, or cool, it's because they weren't and triumphed in spite of it.  Little Weezy's hip.  Justin Biebers cool.  They will be forgotten long before the Beach Boys.

You're saying the surf songs should be relegated to a medly at the encore, although the surf songs are 90% of their success.  When the band changed from surf/car songs, they lost their audience. 

You are going to be SO dissapointed by this tour.  Save yourself the trouble, and don't go , because you clearly don't understand the boys or their music.  You think you do, but you completely do not. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 14, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »

What's the tastefull way to do that?  It's a song.  It's about a chick.  It's no big stretch to have chicks dancing on stage to it. 

Be True to your school.

(all the while with the Beach boys going RAh RAh Rah RAh, Sis Boom Rah!" in the background.)

What's the classy way to present that in your mind?  If there's no cheerleader dancing on stage, do you just forget the lyrics have cheerleader parts?  Is it annoying to you that Brian dated a cheerleader and wrote that about a cheerleader?

I'm just struggling to understand how you don't like it when a band that is by all measures one of the dorkiest, un hip, corniest bands to ever exist... does something dorky, corny, or unhip.  IT's what they do.  It's who they are. 

The reason they are great isn't because they were hip, or cool, it's because they weren't and triumphed in spite of it.  Little Weezy's hip.  Justin Biebers cool.  They will be forgotten long before the Beach Boys.

You're saying the surf songs should be relegated to a medly at the encore, although the surf songs are 90% of their success.  When the band changed from surf/car songs, they lost their audience. 

You are going to be SO dissapointed by this tour.  Save yourself the trouble, and don't go , because you clearly don't understand the boys or their music.  You think you do, but you completely do not. 

That girl who got her Daddy's car is a spitfire! 

She is as timeless and powerful as any Godess!

That suitor is timeless as well...

The rebellious nature of this lady is as free sprited and liberated as they come! 

And the suitor is in "hot pursuit" just to keep up with her.  It's the "chase" of the hunter-gatherer male!

Her father can't keep up with her! And she has him wrapped around her little finger!   

It is a metaphor of the unchanging nature of youth, predictable rebellion, and young relationships.

The kids can identify with this image. It is not dorky!

And, kids still exhibit fierce loyalty for their alma maters!

Since when has "classic" become "dorky?"

"Classic" endures - "trendy" (dorky) comes and goes!   Wink

oldsurferdude
« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »

Be True to your school.

Yeah, it's obvious you're struggling alright. Had enough Rebel Yell yet? What I'm wonderin big, boss brotha is if they lost their entire audience after the surf/car era, how did they manage to fill auditoriums between 71 all the way to the 80 or 90's? Weren't you still in junior high tryin to get through English?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »

I think he meant record sales. Their popularity has really been sustained through constant touring, and many of those tours with John Stamos (had to throw that in). There was a time when touring the U.S. was no picnic, either.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »

If BRI is reading this thread they're probably laughing their asses off. A laugh which will get louder as the actual ticket sales numbers start rolling in... LOL

(including my hard-earned dollars, mind you, if the Boys and their mega-musician, 7-guitars-strong caravan come 'round these parts this year.)

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2012, 08:01:04 PM »

Should there ever be a Full House reunion and the Beach Boys get invited I hope they can show some restraint and not get ideas above their station, don't behave like tools who have forgotten who the audience really want to see and do not try to dominate the camera or hog the lime light.

The above should apply to any reunion with  guests.

Just saying.

Wink
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2012, 08:08:56 PM »

Quick fact check: The number of charting hit songs specifically about surfing which the Beach Boys released in the 60's (and beyond) is *four*, and on almost every one of those four, the flip side was a song about cars. And four is generous because "Surfin" was more regional than national, unless you count "Do It Again" to make it an even four hits. Adding in a few other songs, like I Get Around, there were more car songs than surf songs. And the only hit about school spirit or which references cheerleading is one: "Be True To Your School".

Four songs which were hits in the span of about two years, that's it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx