gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:37:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos In Reunion  (Read 50545 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2012, 08:30:17 PM »

Who are you guys kidding?  Stamos will be there, AND Cheerleaders will be there.  There is no one or the other.  Also Beach Balls.  Also most of the songs will NOT be from Smile or Pet Sounds.  Also Mike will be the focus, not Brian.  Mike's the frontman. 

If you want to see the artsy fartsy genius music that only you fully understand because we're all too stupid, go see Brian's show.   He and his band (god bless them) are all too eager to give you what you're looking for.

If you want to go see THE BEACH BOYS, though, you're going to get stupid sh*t like John Stamos, Cheerleaders, songs about surfing, beach balls, hawaian shirts and a bunch of corny jokes from Mike Love, who will be standing front and center the enitre tour. 

Can't Wait, personally!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »

RON...You are right..!If ya wanna see hear rarities go see a BW show..This is gonna be 2 hours of BB music..With BW + ML as front men..PEOPLE.This will be the last time Any of us see + hear any form of BB..This is it.Please.Lets ..DO IT AGAIN.One more time..STOP COMPLAINING..I suspect I wont see these shows or ever get a tss BOX SET .THESE are limited edition items..The US recession has taken most of what i own.That and bad choices ive made with women.My fault..Those of you that have the box + Tickets go + rejoice in the moment.!.BB are LEGENDS..The greatest R+R band from the USA...The memories from that nite.No matter how old you are will live with you FOREVER..I have my memories from 70"s + 80"s..No one can take that from me.. Just go and R+R...If they live beyond that its a plus.And please dont criticize my post.Ive read it over + over.My education is beyond a 6th grade education.Get it. GOD bless..Paul
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2012, 09:51:57 PM »

Since Do It Again is such a big part of this reunion, has Bill Jackson been consulted?
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »

1976, I believe. My point really is, that this classy, ultra-tasteful Beach Boys that exists in the minds of the Pet Sounds/Smile fan elite has not, and will never, exist. There has always been cheesy, goofball, poseur-type elements to their live show. In fact, it is an essential component of the band, it reminds everyone not to take the whole thing so damn seriously.
It seems they were always talking over each other between songs too. Grin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:38:50 PM by jimmy1949 » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2012, 10:29:44 PM »

girls with pom-poms, ponytails, looking like they stepped out of a 50's magazine

Sounds utterly boss to me.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2012, 11:16:54 PM »

While I usually enjoy joining in these communal Beach Boys freakouts, I'm holding my fire on this one.

There are some distinctions we should make here.

1.) Stamos joining for a handful of encores in the LA area is unfortunate, perhaps, and would lead to come some cringing from those of us who know and care about the band.

2.) Stamos joining for the entire 50-show tour, and being present for the entire show (and actually performing songs) is a very different matter. It would be a f*cking travesty.

My thoughts exactly!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2012, 11:20:37 PM »

David has done a fine job with the song and I would definitely prefer him having a go at it.  Knowing Mike though, he might go with the more obvious and easy route and have Uncle Jesse John Stamos sing it...after all Stamos has had more public exposure with the song than David has.

It would make sense and as Stamos probably won't be involved in that many shows, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Not sure why people are making such a fuss about this. Including Stamos on a few shows doesn't exactly mean that Ricky, Blondie et al can't appear too. And as Stamos has appeared with the band on numerous occasions and sang lead vocal on one of their albums it's not a huge issue.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2012, 04:26:19 AM »

Since it's the Beach Boys we all had our feares but right up to this it all seemed fine. I hope Stamos will be the only put down.

And I agree with what someone said, Mike's vision of the band is absolute cheesy, flat and perfunctory. Look at all those 80s things, at Stars & Stripes, just at his liner notes to SIP. Everywhere he uses puns that really might have been funny in some late 70s TV show. But to mee it looked like his shows thankfully didn't show that anymore that heavy. Beach Boys shows from the 80s and 90s were full of that and probably wouldn't be regarded that good if it wasn't for Carl. Let's hope the people in the know and making will realize that we love the band - probably more than the boys themselves - and just want something classy. It hasn't to be the biggest cultural event in the world but please something we fans won't have to be ashamed of.
I hope AGD and all the others who read this and have contacts, will make sure that we'll get heard.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:28:35 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2012, 04:44:18 AM »

Since it's the Beach Boys we all had our feares but right up to this it all seemed fine. I hope Stamos will be the only put down.

And I agree with what someone said, Mike's vision of the band is absolute cheesy, flat and perfunctory. Look at all those 80s things, at Stars & Stripes, just at his liner notes to SIP. Everywhere he uses puns that really might have been funny in some late 70s TV show. But to mee it looked like his shows thankfully didn't show that anymore that heavy. Beach Boys shows from the 80s and 90s were full of that and probably wouldn't be regarded that good if it wasn't for Carl. Let's hope the people in the know and making will realize that we love the band - probably more than the boys themselves - and just want something classy. It hasn't to be the biggest cultural event in the world but please something we fans won't have to be ashamed of.
I hope AGD and all the others who read this and have contacts, will make sure that we'll get heard.

Remember what I've been saying for several years - all the major BB/BW and related boards are monitored on a very regular basis. Our disquiet will have been noted by now, irrespective of any words in private ears. Whether or not it'll make a jot of difference is of course something else entirely. My stance is very simple: there are at least half-a-dozen other former associates who deserve to be considered before him. Granted it looks like Ricky & Blondie will be otherwise occupied, but Billy & Eddie deserve a shout.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2012, 05:36:58 AM »

Remember what I've been saying for several years - all the major BB/BW and related boards are monitored on a very regular basis. Our disquiet will have been noted by now, irrespective of any words in private ears. Whether or not it'll make a jot of difference is of course something else entirely. My stance is very simple: there are at least half-a-dozen other former associates who deserve to be considered before him. Granted it looks like Ricky & Blondie will be otherwise occupied, but Billy & Eddie deserve a shout.

The situation with Billy and Eddie is very different though surely. I would be surprised if they didn't pop up somewhere, even if only for an encore, but Stamos is much more suited to a cameo appearance or 3.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2012, 06:08:24 AM »

Of course I've been following what you said about it and it makes for a good feeling that they at least look at the fan's reactions. I'm still not sure though how seriously BRI (or whoever) takes the fans.

BTW I'm sure that Billy, Ed Carter and of course Matt Jardine will appear at one point or another. I guess the last concert will be a big thing, maybe filmed with thoughts of a DVD release. At that show - probably in California - they certainly will show up. Now for the whole tour I don't think they are needed in the band, no matter how good they are (and we know that). But Brian's band plus Cowsill and Totten makes for a great combo and it might get to full on stage with so many people. As long as the band is great I don't care about who is not there.
But anyhow I'd rather have a fully loaded stage with good backup musicians than Stamos standing in the spotlight and singing "Forever" instead of David/Brian

Thorugh a mutual friend I wrote Blondie just to let him know we as fans still think of him and Ricky and that they are not forgotten. I hope they'll find some happiness in there if they aren't invited
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:10:40 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2012, 08:19:20 AM »

The full-on Stamos would make me reconsider going to a reunion show. Seriously.

The inclusion of this guy suggests an approach to the reunion that's more commercial than artistic, more crowd-pleasing than ear-pleasing, and more about Mike's vision of the band than Brian's.

And that's okay! I don't begrudge anyone enjoying that sort of thing. I might even enjoy it if I'm in the right mood. But it's certainly not what I would have hoped for from the reunion shows. And it's therefore my right -- and everyone else's -- to not go if it seems like something we'll hate.

There are a lot of posts in this thread that sum up how I feel, but this is probably the most accurate. The "Do It Again" video made it seem like the reunion was going to be classy, and befitting of one of the greatest bands of all time. However, the inclusion of Stamos (with no ill will personally meant towards him), seems to jeopardize that. It is not merely him being there, it's what that signifies- that this tour is a wacky, fun, "bring your kids" affair. And as Wirestone said, that's perfectly fine. But it makes it clear that there should be no illusion that this tour will be the final artistic redemption of the band that some people wanted it to be.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2012, 08:31:16 AM »

it's what that signifies- that this tour is a wacky, fun, "bring your kids" affair.  

Oh, perish the thought!!! That would have absolutely nothing to do with what the band's career actually has been over the decades, right?
The Beach Boys never needed an artistic "redemption". All the wonderful music they have put out over the years is more than enough to garner them their place among the heaviest hitters. Nothing they could do on this tour could significantly alter that, for positive or negative.
I swear, it is like you folks expect The Beach Boys to lead some uber-serious "recital" of everything ya'll deem to be "worthy" of your hard-won attention.
If ya'll are looking for a band like that, The Beach Boys just aren't for you, really. Go check out Sigur Ros or something similarly boring and one-dimensional.
If people from the official organisations are indeed monitoring this and other boards, I hope they then do the opposite of the snob-consensus, just to piss people off. Because what the band really is, in all its uncool, boorish, rah-rah, school-and-Hawaii-lovin' glory (AS WELL AS serious highlights ala Pet Sounds etc.), is pretty damn boss, and needs no redemption or approval from the Net Set.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:32:38 AM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2012, 08:39:46 AM »

BOOM Roasted!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2012, 08:46:50 AM »

it's what that signifies- that this tour is a wacky, fun, "bring your kids" affair.  

Oh, perish the thought!!! That would have absolutely nothing to do with what the band's career actually has been over the decades, right?
The Beach Boys never needed an artistic "redemption". All the wonderful music they have put out over the years is more than enough to garner them their place among the heaviest hitters. Nothing they could do on this tour could significantly alter that, for positive or negative.
I swear, it is like you folks expect The Beach Boys to lead some uber-serious "recital" of everything ya'll deem to be "worthy" of your hard-won attention.
If ya'll are looking for a band like that, The Beach Boys just aren't for you, really. Go check out Sigur Ros or something similarly boring and one-dimensional.
If people from the official organisations are indeed monitoring this and other boards, I hope they then do the opposite of the snob-consensus, just to piss people off. Because what the band really is, in all its uncool, boorish, rah-rah, school-and-Hawaii-lovin' glory (AS WELL AS serious highlights ala Pet Sounds etc.), is pretty damn boss, and needs no redemption or approval from the Net Set.
Well said. They are what they are and we should be happy with it. Rock concerts are about having fun and going crazy. These guys have been doing shows for 50 years. Concerts are their bread and butter and they know what works and what doesn't. I have rarely heard a concert goer ever say that a show sucked in any era of the shows that I attended between 1969-2007.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:26:29 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2012, 08:54:29 AM »

Different people like different things. Speaking for myself, that image of the band has never been why I'm a fan, and has been my least favorite aspect of the BBs. It's why, to me, Brian's shows have been the most satisfying presentation of the music -- not that BW is the most charismatic live performer -- but that they don't traffic in that kind of tacky nonsense.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2012, 09:14:32 AM »

There are a lot of posts in this thread that sum up how I feel, but this is probably the most accurate. The "Do It Again" video made it seem like the reunion was going to be classy, and befitting of one of the greatest bands of all time. However, the inclusion of Stamos (with no ill will personally meant towards him), seems to jeopardize that. It is not merely him being there, it's what that signifies- that this tour is a wacky, fun, "bring your kids" affair. And as Wirestone said, that's perfectly fine. But it makes it clear that there should be no illusion that this tour will be the final artistic redemption of the band that some people wanted it to be.

There's no reason it can't be both. I don't want to see Stamos, and I would like to see Blondie and Ricky, but fundamentally it's the five principals' choice who they bring on stage with them. And I think that no matter what, the show can be both artistically valid and classy while still being fun for everyone. The 2008 UK tour proved that - the majority of the audience for the show I saw were clearly there just to have a fun sing-along of the hits they knew, and knew nothing about who was or wasn't on stage, and they enjoyed the banter from Mike that I could literally speak along with him ("Now we're going to have an intermission... (beat, beat) followed by a nap!").
But in those shows, and playing for those audiences, they still managed to do performances of Kiss Me Baby, Let Him Run Wild, Sail On Sailor, You Still Believe In Me, Til I Die, All This Is That and a dozen other of the 'artier' songs, and do them tastefully, and without losing the audience.

To my mind having Stamos on stage will (if it happens) be on about a level with the bit in MIke & Bruce's show where they pull some girl out of the audience during Barbara Ann and have her pose holding a guitar while Scott Totten actually plays it from behind her. Tacky and unnecessary, but not enough to devalue the rest of the show.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2012, 09:35:30 AM »

See, the thing is while it may or seem tacky to us, the audience eats that stuff up. As for the girls brought up on stage, that will be a thrill that lasts them all of their lives. These are things that connect the band to the audience and vice versa. Believe me, if you were chosen to go there and stand behind a microphone and sing Barbara Ann, you would do it in a heart beat. Just about all of us would. Along with the music, these are the things that leave people smiling at the end of the show.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »

Not that BW is the most charismatic live performer -- but that they don't traffic in that kind of tacky nonsense.

"Row, Row, Row Your Boat", cigarette lighter joke, and "I'm a Little Teapot" as examples. Brian's done his share of 'nonsense' too.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »

Not that BW is the most charismatic live performer -- but that they don't traffic in that kind of tacky nonsense.

"Row, Row, Row Your Boat", cigarette lighter joke, and "I'm a Little Teapot" as examples. Brian's done his share of 'nonsense' too.
Oh, but it's cute when Brian does it. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #220 on: January 14, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »

I can put up with Stamos and cheerleaders if it means seeing 5 original 60's members of the Beach Boys on-stage, one of them a Wilson.

They can have Justin Bieber on-stage singing Surfer Girl, I'll still be there.

And I say that as more of an "art-house" BB fan.

I was not expecting this tour. To me this is once-in-a-lifetime.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 14, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »

There is a difference between genuinely bonkers BW-led things and cringeworthy Mike stuff that perpetuates the myth of the BBs being a sun-and-fun, girls-girls-girls group. They are cousins, though, and neither is a paragon of coolness, I'll grant you that.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 14, 2012, 09:55:10 AM »

There is a difference between genuinely bonkers BW-led things and cringeworthy Mike stuff that perpetuates the myth of the BBs being a sun-and-fun, girls-girls-girls group. They are cousins, though, and neither is a paragon of coolness, I'll grant you that.

Difference is somebody wrote those bad jokes for Brian while Mike's been writing his own bad jokes for 50 years

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 14, 2012, 09:56:21 AM »

See, the thing is while it may or seem tacky to us, the audience eats that stuff up. As for the girls brought up on stage, that will be a thrill that lasts them all of their lives. These are things that connect the band to the audience and vice versa. Believe me, if you were chosen to go there and stand behind a microphone and sing Barbara Ann, you would do it in a heart beat. Just about all of us would. Along with the music, these are the things that leave people smiling at the end of the show.
Yes, Dr., I agree 100% - but, what I have seen with other bands, such as Chicago, represents a trend, where the lucky one (ones) who have this on stage "opportunity" may also be tied to a charity event, where there is a silent auction, or raffle for some local or commuity charity or health research cause, such as one Chicago did with Breast Cancer, still on their website.  Or, a radio station, sponsoring the event could offer the "onstage opportunity" prize as a marketing strategy, which fits in with the event or venue.  It seems as though this is a factor for many artists these days.

For a lot of those special needs people, as well as others, it is the thrill of their lives...It's only one song!

So, in all instances, it may not just be what has been denigrated as "cheesy" and classless.  But rooted in the behind-the -scenes production end, as having a charity purpose.  Wink
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 14, 2012, 10:07:04 AM »

Difference is somebody wrote those bad jokes for Brian while Mike's been writing his own bad jokes for 50 years
No difference whatsoever. Bad jokes are bad jokes. If you go on stage tell them, it's on you as much as the writer. Mike has said many times that he tells these types of jokes and such, on purpose. He knows the reaction that he is going to get. Probably the same with Brian, as well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:09:42 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,