gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 11:31:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos In Reunion  (Read 51424 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2012, 01:02:12 PM »

This must be a real kick in the balls for Ricky and Blondie.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »

Nothing against Stamos but I can't see his appearance is selling more tickets, it's not like he is Tom Cruise. He was one of the main actors of a cheesy 80s sitcom which I liked as a 5 year old and therefore is really more like a sitcom for children. As someone pointed out at Facebook: It's like the Stones touring with Hasselhoff. I liked John's version of "Forever", especially at Uncle Jesse's wedding but this just doesn't seem right. Do they really need him to sale tickets? This tour shouldn't really be about the money, it should be a celebration of the music.

And btw he performed outside of the US, Wembley 1993. I think they even recorded the SIP video there.
Don't fool yourself, it is always about the money. Even Brian said has much.

And the Beach Boys always have been some of the most money-grubbing sons-of-a-gun you can find

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2012, 01:10:33 PM »

I became a fan in the late 80's as a kid and Stamos or Full House had nothing to do with it! Granted I'm male but I've never actually heard anyone say they became interested in the Beach Boys because of Stamos and Full House! Maybe they enjoyed seeing them on there, but having that as a reason to go to a concert....I'm not so sure

Again, I'm not thrilled about him being there. It's not gonna make me not go. The problem is I can't just see him playing percussion which would be appropriate.  He'll be next to Mike with a guitar and Mike's gonna make him a center of attention and reference him on BTTYS and that's gonna cause any televised performance to focus on him!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »

I would assume on this tour he will mainly be a percussionist, but I'm sure he'll be up front for a few numbers.

Why - there'll be two drummers plus Nelson. Don't need another any more than they need another guitarist. Hopefully he'll only 'play' a very few gigs. Less than one would suit me just fine.

Andrew -- Has it actually been confirmed that all of Brian's band is coming on these shows? My assumption, and that's all it was, has been that a couple of members of the BW band wouldn't be included. In other words, Mikey would be subbed out by Cowsill. And it doesn't seem like Darian's scene, does it?

Would be thrilled to be wrong, but it would lead to some redundancy, no?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »

i'll take cheerleaders over Stamos anytime, anywhere.

I'll probably never understand that.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »

i'll take cheerleaders over Stamos anytime, anywhere.

I'll probably never understand that.
It's called "Stamos Envy". Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »

I would assume on this tour he will mainly be a percussionist, but I'm sure he'll be up front for a few numbers.

Why - there'll be two drummers plus Nelson. Don't need another any more than they need another guitarist. Hopefully he'll only 'play' a very few gigs. Less than one would suit me just fine.

Andrew -- Has it actually been confirmed that all of Brian's band is coming on these shows? My assumption, and that's all it was, has been that a couple of members of the BW band wouldn't be included. In other words, Mikey would be subbed out by Cowsill. And it doesn't seem like Darian's scene, does it?

Would be thrilled to be wrong, but it would lead to some redundancy, no?

I'm a tad confused - my initial reading of the reports was Brian's band plus Scott T & John C... but now I'm not so sure. I think I need to ask the legendary "someone who would know".  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »

I thought it was pretty much all of the guys in the Do It Again video and Dave Marks doing the 50th shows.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »

I thought it was pretty much all of the guys in the Do It Again video and Dave Marks doing the 50th shows.
I can see that for the studio album, but does that equate to the touring band? The touring band could be whole other animal.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:32:55 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »

I just now saw this and cracked up!!  

"'Xactly. Beginning to look like business as usual at BRI: you can visualise them sitting around the table and thinking, "How can we really f*ck this up before a note is played?", then looking at each other and saying as one, "Stamos !"

Good 'un, Mr. Doe!     Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!   Grin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:22:51 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2012, 01:22:09 PM »

The full-on Stamos would make me reconsider going to a reunion show. Seriously.

The inclusion of this guy suggests an approach to the reunion that's more commercial than artistic, more crowd-pleasing than ear-pleasing, and more about Mike's vision of the band than Brian's.

And that's okay! I don't begrudge anyone enjoying that sort of thing. I might even enjoy it if I'm in the right mood. But it's certainly not what I would have hoped for from the reunion shows. And it's therefore my right -- and everyone else's -- to not go if it seems like something we'll hate.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2012, 01:26:30 PM »

The inclusion of this guy suggests an approach to the reunion that's more commercial than artistic, more crowd-pleasing than ear-pleasing, and more about Mike's vision of the band than Brian's.

And that's okay! I don't begrudge anyone enjoying that sort of thing. I might even enjoy it if I'm in the right mood. But it's certainly not what I would have hoped for from the reunion shows. And it's therefore my right -- and everyone else's -- to not go if it seems like something we'll hate.
I want a concert band when I attend a concert. Except for the Smile Tour, I could have stayed home and listened to the records instead of hearing Brian's band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »

If Stamos is there the whole time, might as well have the bamd wear the striped shirts and khaki pants. Grin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:28:51 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »

NOTHING will stop me from going to one (or two) reunion shows. NOTHING. Unless I'm shot on a street corner, get in a bad car wreck on the way to the gig, I'm laid out on my death bed dying from cancer, or Brian, Al, and David cancel out and are no-shows.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »

If Stamos is there the whole time, might as well have the bamd wear the striped shirts and khaki pants. Grin
Well, the music from that era will be 80% of the show, so why not?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »

Stamos has to wear the white suits from 1968 or Mike's 1970s stagewear. Razz

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »

Stamos has to wear the white suits from 1968 or Mike's 1970s stagewear. Razz
I wanna see the Turban, baby! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:17 PM »

NOTHING will stop me from going to one (or two) reunion shows. NOTHING. Unless I'm shot on a street corner, get in a bad car wreck on the way to the gig, I'm laid out on my death bed dying from cancer, or Brian, Al, and David cancel out and are no-shows.

Hey, didn't you forget someone, or some-two…  LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:59 PM »

Did Stamos ever play a show outside of the US with the boys ? Since I'm going to Berlin, I hope he won't be there. It's not against him as a person or drummer, but like others said he represents all that cheesiness and that should be forgotten. Every time he is part of a show they act like it's the biggest thing in the world but let's be honest, even he is a somewhat "part of a time long gone" and nothing more but a novelty.
And I wouldn't want him to do "Forever" when there's Brian and David on stage. Don't let this last chande the Beach Boys will ever have become such a cheesy, freaky show. Before adding some non-Beach Boy, get Blondie and Ricky

Stamos was present when I saw The Beach Boys play at Olympic Park, Melbourne, Australia in 1992. Referring to my contemporaneous notes, I noted that he was an unwelcome distraction and that Carl seemed to get increasingly annoyed by him as the concert progressed.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »

I want a concert band when I attend a concert. Except for the Smile Tour, I could have stayed home and listened to the records instead of hearing Brian's band.

I have to say, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why see any music live, then? Why would you go see a symphony orchestra, when there are so many CDs of the music played perfectly? It's not like most conductors or orchestras actually dance around or shoot confetti cannons.

The point is, live music is its own justification. Some people like it with a lot of showmanship, some don't. I mean, I've enjoyed the Flaming Lips shows I've attended, but they've made that showmanship an integral part of their shows. Brian's band performs in the orchestral tradition -- it's not about onstage tomfoolery, it's about making cool vibrations in the air. It makes its own case.

Adding John Stamos -- a wanna-be rock star and washed-up actor -- to the entirety of a tour does not count as showmanship. It's not creating a touring band. It's simply dumb.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:42:08 PM by Wirestone » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »

Did Stamos ever play a show outside of the US with the boys ? Since I'm going to Berlin, I hope he won't be there. It's not against him as a person or drummer, but like others said he represents all that cheesiness and that should be forgotten. Every time he is part of a show they act like it's the biggest thing in the world but let's be honest, even he is a somewhat "part of a time long gone" and nothing more but a novelty.
And I wouldn't want him to do "Forever" when there's Brian and David on stage. Don't let this last chande the Beach Boys will ever have become such a cheesy, freaky show. Before adding some non-Beach Boy, get Blondie and Ricky

Stamos was present when I saw The Beach Boys play at Olympic Park, Melbourne, Australia in 1992. Referring to my contemporaneous notes, I noted that he was an unwelcome distraction and that Carl seemed to get increasingly annoyed by him as the concert progressed.
Did Carl give him "That Look"? That was always the best way to tell with Carl.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »

Here's a thought - what if Stamos is up there on Feb 12, receiving the honorary Grammy with Brian, Mike, Al, Dave & Bruce?

Just a thought!  Shocked

“We live in divisive times.”
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »

Hey, didn't you forget someone, or some-two…  LOL

No I didn't!   No Mike and Bruce shows for me!   It's all or nuthin', baby!  Smiley

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2012, 01:47:27 PM »

I have to say, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why see any music live, then? Why would you go see a symphony orchestra, when there are so many CDs of the music played perfectly? It's not like most conductors or orchestras actually dance around or shoot confetti cannons.

The point is, live music is its own justification. Some people like it with a lot of showmanship, some don't. I mean, I've enjoyed the Flaming Lips shows I've attended, but they've made that showmanship an integral part of their shows. Brian's band performs in the orchestral tradition -- it's not about onstage tomfoolery, it's about making cool vibrations in the air. It makes its own case.

Adding John Stamos -- a wanna-be rock star and washed-up actor -- to the entirety of a tour does not count as showmanship. It's not creating a touring band. It's simply dumb.
Because rock concerts are supposed to rock and have energy. Brian's band is too clean. They sound almost as good as the record. They are almost too good. I don't care about Stamos. His presence will not be the difference whether it is a good show or not.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »

Here's a thought - what if Stamos is up there on Feb 12, receiving the honorary Grammy with Brian, Mike, Al, Dave & Bruce?

Just a thought!  Shocked
Now that would be just wrong. That ain't happening, no way.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,