gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 11:00:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos In Reunion  (Read 51422 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2012, 06:23:30 AM »

I'm sure Stamos is a nice guy, but this rather dilutes things. Along with what looks to be another Sounds of Summer re-issue, I wonder if we're seeing the first signs of a hash.  Hope not.

“We live in divisive times.”
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »

here's some footage of a recent Stamos appearance. the guy's an embarrassment.

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2011/12/beach_boys_rock_st_george_thea.html

the Beach Boys are better than this.

Bossaroo - With all due respect, to people's opinions, I was at that show in Staten Island, and John just torched the place with his presence.  You might be philosophically opposed, and that is fine, but if you don't see the Boys in concert, and I have no knowledge if you do or not, you might soften in your perspective,  I think he adds a whole generation of new fans, who are eager to see the old Beach Boys, because they associate a connection with someone closer to an identity of theirs.  

And, I'm flattered that my poor BB brainwashed kids have any interest. Stamos helped cultivate that. He made them cool again for young people! And, I was dee-lighted, when my 4 year olds came into my Kindergarten class in the late 1980's singing "Aruba, Jamaica..." Thank you, Uncle Jesse. Thank you, Bay Watch.  Thank you, Home Improvement, and any other goofy sitcoms, that gave the Boys and The Music another look.  These shows are still viewed all over the world.

Frankly, I know everyone does not agree...most, more learned than I. Scholarly, even. We can disagree without being disagreeable or hostile.  One would hope.  I would imagine, that people might keep an open mind, and be patient, while this all develops...I'd love to see Billy Hinsche get the call, Matt and Nelson, and Tim and Randell.  The last two, Tim and Randell, in particular, because they have probably done several thousand shows.  Not a couple of hundred.  

It ain't my call.  Maybe as the rehearsals progress, a certain desired "skill set" that seems missing will change the scene.  

It is not our vision for this reunion; it is theirs! We are all back seat drivers!  Wink
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2012, 06:48:57 AM »

People who should be there by right before Stamos:

Ricky
Blondie
Matt Jardine
Billy Hinsche
Eddie Carter
Bobby Figueroa
Mike Kowalski
Daryl Dragon (yeah, I know but I'm making a point)

I completely, unequivocally, and unabashedly agree.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:16:49 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2012, 06:53:10 AM »

What happened to Mike Kawalski? I mean, does he have health problems that affect his playing? Or is it just general old age wearing him down? Hmm...that might have come out sounding a little meaner than I intended.

I think it was just age. Maybe just the hectic touring schedule caught up with him. Never heard of any drinking/drug issues, so I guess it was age. Towards the end I remember reading a lot of complaints about the drumming.....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:58:27 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2012, 07:06:46 AM »

What happened to Mike Kawalski? I mean, does he have health problems that affect his playing? Or is it just general old age wearing him down? Hmm...that might have come out sounding a little meaner than I intended.

I think it was just age. Maybe just the hectic touring schedule caught up with him. Never heard of any drinking/drug issues, so I guess it was age. Towards the end I remember reading a lot of complaints about the drumming.....

I understand he had back problems for some time: even so, he was employed as a drummer and failing increasingly badly in that role.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2012, 07:20:58 AM »

Yeah, it's too bad. I didn't see any of the BB shows since Carl passed away, but remember reading you guys' reviews about his performance during the concerts. This was well before he was let go, so it's not like he wasn't given a chance. Maybe his back was getting to him then - or the meds.......he sure had a long ride with the band though.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2012, 07:26:36 AM »

Ricky
Blondie
Matt Jardine
Billy Hinsche
Eddie Carter
Bobby Figueroa
Mike Kowalski

Anything beyond the above mentioned players and the whole thing startes to get nicely watered down and then you start to wonder just what the point really is here. They do not need Stamos to embellish the band nor sell tickets. Let him be entirely associated with the M&B band and leave it at that. PLEASE.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2012, 07:34:40 AM »

Stamos will sing Forever, no doubt.
If that does , unfortunately, happen, it would be an opportune time for a pee break. Razz
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2012, 07:39:45 AM »

Ricky
Blondie
Matt Jardine
Billy Hinsche
Eddie Carter
Bobby Figueroa
Mike Kowalski

Anything beyond the above mentioned players and the whole thing startes to get nicely watered down and then you start to wonder just what the point really is here. They do not need Stamos to embellish the band nor sell tickets. Let him be entirely associated with the M&B band and leave it at that. PLEASE.

'Xactly. Beginning to look like business as usual at BRI: you can visualise them sitting around the table and thinking, "how can we really f*** this up before a note is played ?", looking at each other and saying as one "Stamos !"

meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »

:facepalm
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2012, 07:47:28 AM »

I have not seen Mike and Bruce's Beach Boys Band play live...with or without John Stamos.  I have a question for those guitarists/musicians who have seen the show with him in the line-up.  I have read that Stamos' guitar was not plugged in or that it was not turned up in the mix.  I have seen YouTube videos of the band, and it looked to me like he wasn't playing anything matching what the band was playing.  The photo above shows a cable plugged into the guitar, and the chord he is playing could be a G or maybe a Gmaj7, but it's hard to tell.  Does anyone know for sure if he is actually playing anything when he is posing (as he is in the photo), or if he is just up front pretending to be a rock star?  
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2012, 07:49:58 AM »

...or if he is just up front pretending to be a rock star?  

Bullseye.  Angry

meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2012, 07:51:51 AM »

I have not seen Mike and Bruce's Beach Boys Band play live...with or without John Stamos.  I have a question for those guitarists/musicians who have seen the show with him in the line-up.  I have read that Stamos' guitar was not plugged in or that it was not turned up in the mix.  I have seen YouTube videos of the band, and it looked to me like he wasn't playing anything matching what the band was playing.  The photo above shows a cable plugged into the guitar, and the chord he is playing could be a G or maybe a Gmaj7, but it's hard to tell.  Does anyone know for sure if he is actually playing anything when he is posing (as he is in the photo), or if he is just up front pretending to be a rock star?  

Stamos can indeed play and I like that fact that he is a beach boys fan but c'mon man, just be a fan and let the band do it themselves.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2012, 07:59:56 AM »

Stamos can indeed play and I like that fact that he is a beach boys fan but c'mon man, just be a fan and let the band do it themselves.
Not that I want to see him up there, but if you would have a chance to play with the reunited Beach Boys, would you turn it down just because some diehard fans don't want you up there?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »

Then, consistent, with that logic, is Stamos pretending to play the drums, while Cowsill is out front singing Rhonda?  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:09:20 AM by filledeplage » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2012, 08:07:57 AM »

Philadelphia July 4, 1995...Stamos was playing drums and guitar (he was plugged in and audible), but the regular drummer was losing the beat. Watching the concert, I even remember thinking Stamos was better on drums and was holding a tighter groove than their regular drummer. I can't speak for anything in recent years because I haven't seen him with the band other than on YouTube.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2012, 08:14:17 AM »

here's some footage of a recent Stamos appearance. the guy's an embarrassment.

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2011/12/beach_boys_rock_st_george_thea.html

the Beach Boys are better than this.

Suuuuure they are.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »

When does the 2nd picture date from?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2012, 08:21:27 AM »

1976, I believe. My point really is, that this classy, ultra-tasteful Beach Boys that exists in the minds of the Pet Sounds/Smile fan elite has not, and will never, exist. There has always been cheesy, goofball, poseur-type elements to their live show. In fact, it is an essential component of the band, it reminds everyone not to take the whole thing so damn seriously.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2012, 08:37:07 AM »

1976, I believe. My point really is, that this classy, ultra-tasteful Beach Boys that exists in the minds of the Pet Sounds/Smile fan elite has not, and will never, exist. There has always been cheesy, goofball, poseur-type elements to their live show. In fact, it is an essential component of the band, it reminds everyone not to take the whole thing so damn seriously.

Great post, Spaceman

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, Stamos's presence is a deal-breaker. That brief time that I thought this concert might actually be fun has now passed.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2012, 08:42:53 AM »

Does that mean he was a bit toasted?  Cheesy

TMZ doesn't lie:

"Seems he was celebrating last night ... 'cause a boozy Stamos was hangin' at the Comedy Store on Sunset Blvd."

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2012, 09:36:44 AM »

Ricky
Blondie
Matt Jardine
Billy Hinsche
Eddie Carter
Bobby Figueroa
Mike Kowalski

Stamos was never a regular touring member. Not a Beach Boy. Never was, never will be. Dennis wannabe, and that's what irks me about him. Thus far, the C50 shows have been tolerably well handled, at least as regards the makeup of the band. This would be a huge misstep, and FWIW I've told someone as much.
By rights only, Blondie & Ricky and maybe Matt fall under that monicker. Everyone else is an invite only. The Beach Boys should be able to put on stage anyone they want.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »

Ricky
Blondie
Matt Jardine
Billy Hinsche
Eddie Carter
Bobby Figueroa
Mike Kowalski

Valid point but can anyone confirm the current working/personal relationship these individuals have with either Mike, Bruce, Al or Brian?  Are they still in contact?  Have they worked with any of these people recently (within the last 3 or 4 years)?  We all want these people from the past to join the tour but I"m wondering  A) if some of these relationships have been permanently severed which would make them coming back not an option or B) just how interested Mike is in bringing all these old cast members back at all?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »

Ricky
Blondie
Matt Jardine
Billy Hinsche
Eddie Carter
Bobby Figueroa
Mike Kowalski

Stamos was never a regular touring member. Not a Beach Boy. Never was, never will be. Dennis wannabe, and that's what irks me about him. Thus far, the C50 shows have been tolerably well handled, at least as regards the makeup of the band. This would be a huge misstep, and FWIW I've told someone as much.
I would even add Dean Torrence before Stamos
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx