gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681516 Posts in 27641 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 06:32:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos In Reunion  (Read 51550 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 14, 2012, 08:39:34 PM »

Quick fact check: The number of charting hit songs specifically about surfing which the Beach Boys released in the 60's (and beyond) is *four*, and on almost every one of those four, the flip side was a song about cars. And four is generous because "Surfin" was more regional than national, unless you count "Do It Again" to make it an even four hits. Adding in a few other songs, like I Get Around, there were more car songs than surf songs. And the only hit about school spirit or which references cheerleading is one: "Be True To Your School".

Four songs which were hits in the span of about two years, that's it.

True.

But another quick fact check:

Their name is THE BEACH BOYS.
Therefore, any type of fun-in-sun material, from explicit surf and car tunes to more vague things such as most of the Summer Days album, Kokomo and Good Vibrations, will be the thing that defines them to the mainstream audience. A lot of the fault for that is the BAND NAME ITSELF. It is very tied to specific subject matter. I think Ron was referring more to the surf/car/fun era in general than surf-themed lyrics specifically.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: January 14, 2012, 09:08:47 PM »

You're saying the surf songs should be relegated to a medly at the encore, although the surf songs are 90% of their success.  When the band changed from surf/car songs, they lost their audience. 

You are going to be SO dissapointed by this tour.  Save yourself the trouble, and don't go , because you clearly don't understand the boys or their music.  You think you do, but you completely do not. 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 14, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »

Quick fact check: The number of charting hit songs specifically about surfing which the Beach Boys released in the 60's (and beyond) is *four*, and on almost every one of those four, the flip side was a song about cars. And four is generous because "Surfin" was more regional than national, unless you count "Do It Again" to make it an even four hits. Adding in a few other songs, like I Get Around, there were more car songs than surf songs. And the only hit about school spirit or which references cheerleading is one: "Be True To Your School".

Four songs which were hits in the span of about two years, that's it.

True.

But another quick fact check:

Their name is THE BEACH BOYS.
Therefore, any type of fun-in-sun material, from explicit surf and car tunes to more vague things such as most of the Summer Days album, Kokomo and Good Vibrations, will be the thing that defines them to the mainstream audience. A lot of the fault for that is the BAND NAME ITSELF. It is very tied to specific subject matter. I think Ron was referring more to the surf/car/fun era in general than surf-themed lyrics specifically.

A great point re eras - chart statistics won't explicity reflect the longevity of songs amongst domestic and international markets, or the plethora of "copy cat" surf/car/sun hits inspired and influenced by (and later attributed to) specific BB hits, albums or appearances.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: January 14, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »

The only years the Beach Boys had surfing songs as hits were their first real year of being a band, 1962, and 1963. The car songs were still there in '64, but dropped off after that. Not saying they weren't incredibly popular and great, classic singles which put the band on the map, but that's only one part of the history.

If there is a suggestion made that this band lost their audience after they stopped doing surf/car songs, yet this band continued to release top 40 singles into the next decade that had nothing to do with cars or surfing, I'd strongly disagree. And the band's discography would disagree as well. The history of the band was not written by them being a surf band or a car band. The bands that were those things didn't last, although they may have had a few great singles too.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 14, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »

Brian or Mike being corny and awkward is fine. It's who they are and it's what we've come to expect of them. They never disappoint in that regard. Inviting John Stamos aboard to be corny and awkward is overkill and entirely unnecessary.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 14, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »

The history of the band was not written by them being a surf band or a car band. The bands that were those things didn't last, although they may have had a few great singles too.

Their history is mostly written-defined by being a fun-in-the-sun band, for better or worse. I'd say better (I think it is a large part of what makes them unique), others might say worse.

Hey Ron, you meant post-Party Beach Boys music, with the exception of Good Vibrations, right?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: January 14, 2012, 09:38:56 PM »

This is exactly what Ron said, if he meant to say something different I'm hoping he'll chime in and clarify it so the record is straight.

You're saying the surf songs should be relegated to a medly at the encore, although the surf songs are 90% of their success.  When the band changed from surf/car songs, they lost their audience. 

You are going to be SO dissapointed by this tour.  Save yourself the trouble, and don't go , because you clearly don't understand the boys or their music.  You think you do, but you completely do not. 

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 14, 2012, 09:54:51 PM »

Ron, I don't understand what I'm triggering with you, but for pete's sake ... please relax. When you're not busy grossly misinterpreting what I have to say, you might find we're not that far apart in our opinions.

What's the tastefull way to do that?  It's a song.  It's about a chick.  It's no big stretch to have chicks dancing on stage to it.  

I'll leave the casual sexism to one side and say that yes, that is kind of a stretch. The group does not include a big swimming pool onstage, despite singing about waves. They don't drive cars across the stage, despite singing about them. As a matter of fact, a great many songs by male singers are about women -- but they don't, as a rule, include go-go dancers in their onstage performances.

I'm just struggling to understand how you don't like it when a band that is by all measures one of the dorkiest, un hip, corniest bands to ever exist... does something dorky, corny, or unhip.  IT's what they do.  It's who they are.  

See, I never thought the band, at least in the 60s and 70s, were particularly corny. They had their issues, sure, but you had such influence from Carl and Dennis -- neither of whom could be described as dorky. They were both pretty cool guys.

You're saying the surf songs should be relegated to a medly at the encore, although the surf songs are 90% of their success.

That is not what I said. I said John Stamos should be relegated to the encores (or preferably the audience). The surf and car songs will surely be a big part of the show, and they should be. They are an important part of the band's legacy.

My point in talking about that material at all is that I -- personally -- would love to see it in the broader context of a show that highlights the band's best music, regardless of period. I mean, Mike has performed "Til I Die!" He recognizes the group has amazing, non-hit tunes.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:00:59 PM by Wirestone » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: January 14, 2012, 10:06:27 PM »

I'm posting this stuff just for the discussion at hand, but take a look at some of the Beach Boys' more famous or well-known live shows on Eric Aniversario's setlist archive website, and count up exactly how many of the surf/car/fun songs were featured at those shows. I wouldn't say that earlier material dominated their live shows, and they usually had a nice blend of all their styles and eras, which I think will still be the case today.

This is the July 4th '80 show from DC, one of the largest crowds they've played for:
SETLIST
1. California Girls
2. Sloop John B (Brian/Mike/Carl)
3. Darlin'
4. School Days
5. In My Room
6. Good Timin'
7. God Only Knows
8. Do It Again
9. Little Deuce Coupe
10. Catch a Wave
11. Hawaii
12. Merry Minuet
13. Santa Ana Winds
14. Some of Your Love
15. Keepin' the Summer Alive
16. Lady Lynda
17. Cottonfields
18. Heroes & Villains
19. I Write The Songs
20. Surfer Girl
21. Help Me Rhonda
22. Be True to Your School
23. Wouldn't It Be Nice
24. Rock & Roll Music
25. I Get Around
26. Surfin' USA
Encore:
27. Good Vibrations
28. Barbara Ann
29. Fun Fun Fun

I don't have a problem with the fun in the sun image, I think it makes for some great audiences and created some amazing music, but it's important to see how it played out factually as much as through the image of the band.

This July 4th setlist, I think, would hold up very well in 2012 and I think crowds would love a lineup like this as a reunion show with maybe a few substitutions and updates.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 14, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »

I would really love one like this:

National Indoor Arena, Birmingham, England
April 11, 2008

Beach Boys present:
Mike Love
Bruce Johnston
David Marks

Backup band:
Scott Totten
Randell Kirsch
John Cowsill
Tim Bonhomme
Christian Love

SETLIST

1. Do It Again
2. Don't Back Down
3. Catch A Wave
4. Hawaii
5. Little Honda
6. Surf City
7. Surfin' Safari
8. Surfin' USA
9. Surfer Girl
10. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
11. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
12. Good Timin'
13. Good To My Baby
14 You're So Good To Me
15. Forever (David Marks)
16. Darlin'
17. The Warmth Of The Sun
18. Wendy
19. Kiss Me Baby
20. Let Him Run Wild
21. Then I Kissed Her
22. I Can Hear Music
23. Ballad Of Ole Betsy
24. Dont Worry Baby
25. Little Deuce Coupe
26. 409
27. Shut Down
28. I Get Around

INTERVAL

29. California Girls
30. California Dreamin'
31. Sloop John B
32. Sail On Sailor
33. 'Til I Die
34. Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
35. In My Room
36. Cool Head, Warm Heart
37. Everyone's In Love With You
38. All This Is That
39. Disney Girls
40. God Only Knows
41. You Still Believe In Me
42. Here Today
43. Cottonfields
44. Kokomo
45. Help Me Rhonda
46. Dance Dance Dance
47. Do You Wanna Dance
48. Barbara Ann
49. Wouldn't It Be Nice

ENCORE:
50. Good Vibrations
51. Fun Fun Fun

This is a cool show not just because of things like Til I Die, but because it includes non-hit, but classic-era stuff like "Don't Back Down" and "Good to My Baby." I've always thought that was a very smart way for BW or the BBs to do lesser-known material, because it was created contemporaneously with the hits and has the same sound and spirit.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:15:41 PM by Wirestone » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 14, 2012, 10:31:55 PM »

That's probably a good setlist I'm guessing to expect for the tour with a few minor tweaks  (Surf City out for something like California Saga let's say) and I'd be more than happy with that list! 50 songs for 50 years seems appropriate.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2012, 10:38:12 PM »

This is exactly what Ron said, if he meant to say something different I'm hoping he'll chime in and clarify it so the record is straight.

Yeah, I know what he said, Jack, and I already asked him to clarify (likely to merely confirm my own clarification of what he was saying, but if you need that to be able to proceed forth into fresh, exciting new territory, fine), but thanks.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: January 15, 2012, 05:25:17 AM »

The question is not if Stamos is there or not, it's what his presence signals (apart from bad jokes between him and Mike). 

His presence signals the fact that they'd like a friend of theirs, who like it or not, is a part of their history even if minor and relatively insignificant, to take a minor part in a celebration of their history. That's all. They've given you a lot of great music over the years, let them have this one little indulgence. Cool? Cool.

If it's just that, then get Charles Manson on stage. Just an old friend who is part of their history. Like it or not, he totally fills out said role. There's nothing wrong with having an old friend there. But why on stage and in the spotlight ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 15, 2012, 07:46:11 AM »

If it's just that, then get Charles Manson on stage. Just an old friend who is part of their history. Like it or not, he totally fills out said role. There's nothing wrong with having an old friend there.

That'd be fine with me as well!

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 15, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »

I would really love one like this:

SETLIST

1. Do It Again
2. Don't Back Down
6. Surf City
7. Surfin' Safari
8. Surfin' USA
9. Surfer Girl
10. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
11. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
12. Good Timin'
13. Good To My Baby
29. California Girls
30. California Dreamin'
31. Sloop John B
32. Sail On Sailor
33. 'Til I Die
34. Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
46. Dance Dance Dance
47. Do You Wanna Dance

Was someone looking at an iTunes playlist on alphabetical order when putting together that setlist?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »

The question is not if Stamos is there or not, it's what his presence signals (apart from bad jokes between him and Mike). The Beach Boys trying doggedly to hold onto the success of Full House to be succesful themselves from it. It looks like they have no believing in their own and therefor need Stamos to be a success. What people don't seem to realize is that Full House nowadays is often considered as one of the most terrible sitcoms of the 80s and that Stamos to at least as many people is a joke. Again, I have nothing against him as a person, he might e a really cool guy but what he brings to the Beach Boys is more damaging than it is helpful.
And of course everyone should have a lot of fun at concerts. But there was a time when many people had fun yet the quality of the performance was terrible and not worthy. A show like this has to be both, entertaining and high quality.

Maybe your'e unaware: John Stamos is a cast member of "Glee", so he's pretty relevant.  

And although the people still know him only as "Uncle Jessie" and that's how Mike introduces him mostly.
Even if he was Neil Patrick Harris, he has nothing to do on that stage
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:44:52 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 15, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »

I think the entire Full House gang should show up! Then the Smile ripoff "My World Fell Down" could be performed by the splinter project Saget-Tarius, Dave Coulier shows up to perform what else but "Coul Coul Water" and then the Olsen Twins are brought out as the cheerleaders for "Be True To Your School". Unfortunately, all their teeth and hair are gone as a result of their acute meth addiction. Uncle Jessie then stops the show cold to perform a heartfelt "Mary Kate And Ashley, No". The entire cast assembles for a tear-jerking finale medley of "Love And Mercy" and the ABC TGIF jingle.

OK, I'll stop now, and I apologize.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2012, 12:50:04 AM »

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/beach-boys-stamos-0116-2012/

Stamos said he was perfectly willing to simply introduce the band at its concerts, but Mike Love, Brian Wilson and Co. have a little more in mind for the Full House star. They “asked me to be part of the show ... I feel very honored,” Stamos said.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2012, 06:27:43 AM »

..."a little more in mind" can mean a lit of things.  Evil
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2012, 08:02:46 AM »

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/beach-boys-stamos-0116-2012/

Stamos said he was perfectly willing to simply introduce the band at its concerts, but Mike Love, Brian Wilson and Co. have a little more in mind for the Full House star. They “asked me to be part of the show ... I feel very honored,” Stamos said.

Any introduction would have been just fine...  Roll Eyes

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »

I created a Twitter account just to tell John Stamos to please reconsider joining the Beach Boys this year. I invite you all to do the same.  Wink
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »

I created a Twitter account just to tell John Stamos to please reconsider joining the Beach Boys this year. I invite you all to do the same.  Wink
Considering your avatar, that is not a very Friendly thing to do. Not me, no thanks. The band can invite whoever they want. It is none of my business.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »

Bossaroo - That action is inconsistent with a prior statement you made about Stamos' ability to play the "pita" in which  ( I paraphrase) that he {Stamos} should be among them, with the ability to play that instrument. 
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »

Do you think Stamos will get there fast or will he take it slow?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 16, 2012, 11:43:25 AM »

Oh mylanta
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx