Inside Pop Reels

<< < (12/20) > >>

cutterschoice:
Quote from: grillo on July 06, 2010, 03:51:54 PM

That's because its a term used by the French for their land west of the Appalachians BEFORE the westward expansion, thus making it a historical (but not hysterical) reference. I don't get why 'open country' makes more sense. Big sky country maybe, but who says open country? The Upper Country was an actual place in what became the USA, a place the Bicycle Rider would've traveled through. So, just like we don't discuss the 'iron horse' anymore (yet it was a real thing) so goes the Upper Country.

'Open Country' is a phrase I've heard before. as in, "ah, the open country".
I grew up by the countryside, it's not uncommon. As someone mentioned earlier, it basically referencing a expansive countryside, fresh air etc.
And it definitely sounds like Brian says Open, not Upper.

Let me get Van Dyke on the phone to clear this up

runnersdialzero:
Quote from: Dada on July 06, 2010, 01:23:29 PM

I think "freshen air" works as a weird, unexpected play on words. Perhaps it was really "freshen the air" but Brian forgot a word, or it was really "freshened air"? Sounds like a canny reference to pot, such as we see with "Cabinessence" (switch the B and the N around and you get "Canibessence").

I'd say that's a stretch, especially about "Cabinessence".

bossaroo:
i like the Cannibessence theory... it never occured to me!  :hat

Mr. Cohen:

I agree that the whole "freshened air/freshen the air" bit is pure conjecture, but I thought that my "Cabinessence" theory was pretty sound. The fact that they combined the two words into one, IMO, says something. Why else would Van Dyke have done that? Just for the hell of it? Say cabinessence five times fast and see what it sounds like it. Would be a good question to ask Van Dyke, I suppose.

cutterschoice:
Quote from: runnersdialzero on July 06, 2010, 04:37:06 PM

Quote from: Dada on July 06, 2010, 01:23:29 PM

I think "freshen air" works as a weird, unexpected play on words. Perhaps it was really "freshen the air" but Brian forgot a word, or it was really "freshened air"? Sounds like a canny reference to pot, such as we see with "Cabinessence" (switch the B and the N around and you get "Canibessence").

Frank Holmes (a friend of VDP, and the Smile cover artist) said that “Cabinessence” is a pun on ‘cannabis.’
I think he's a reliable source. VDP even gave him some lyrics from cabinessence to help inspire the cover art, hence how he knew the unused lyrics in ESQ '97

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page