gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:26:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inside Pop Reels  (Read 25056 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »

OK, so it's not from "Surf's Up", but one of my most memorable memories is going by the studio at Belagio & hearing Brian & Van Dyke working on "Sail On, Sailor"...  I was so mesmerized, I sat there & listened without intruding for at least half an hour....
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 11:47:41 PM »

OK, so it's not from "Surf's Up", but one of my most memorable memories is going by the studio at Belagio & hearing Brian & Van Dyke working on "Sail On, Sailor"...  I was so mesmerized, I sat there & listened without intruding for at least half an hour....

Wow what an incredible recollection! Are there any other details you can remember? Were they composing it on piano?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »

I thought he sang "open country", not "upper country".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 12:37:42 PM »

Sorry to dig up such an OLD topic, but regarding Columnated and Colonnaded, Columnated is a real word. I'm not sure why you're all saying it isn't? http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Columnated+ . The use of the word predates 1914, so maybe that's why he used it

Also, I've read, but I'm afraid I don't have the source right now, but originally the lyrics were "open country" and it was changed to "agriculture" in 2004.

Park's also didn't use his original Child is father lyrics in the 2004 reconstruction.

In this video from 1976, I think it sounds like Van Dyke is saying "Columnated". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB6JwCmTIEw
The 'm' sound is definitely in it.

I agree with "columnated" and "open country".

Not sure why Van Dyke's "Child" lyrics weren't used. I'd guess they were lost, as there's really no other excuse not to use them.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 10:55:45 PM »

It's 'upper country', a term I've heard before (curiously from brits, though it seems to be about the french great lakes area before the USA bought/took it, but might also refer to the santa barbara area) so there!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Pied Piper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »

It's 'upper country', a term I've heard before (curiously from brits, though it seems to be about the french great lakes area before the USA bought/took it, but might also refer to the santa barbara area) so there!
     I believe I read someplace VDP didn't know where the "agriculture" in the lyrics came from & disavowed it.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 03:13:30 PM »

A little nerdy information on the word columnated: it "once was", in fact, an English word. It can be found in the 1913 Webster's Dictionary, which historically is considered the DEFINITIVE dictionary of the English language for the early-mid 20th century. Here is proof: http://1913.mshaffer.com/d/search/_words.word,columnated. Why it is no longer included in dictionaries is beyond me, but I'm sure it was erased from the annals as a result of some minor scholarly debate over the use of Latin in the English language, or something like that.

The word is just another example of how Van Dyke gave SMiLE that old timey Americana feel.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 03:02:34 PM »

Do you know/remember if Brian really only wrote the verses ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2010, 03:39:21 PM »

Okay.

I still think it's open country, sire.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »

I would probably eat another person to view the complete Inside Pop footage whenever I wanted while in jail for eating someone.

Just saying.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
cutterschoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »

I believe I read someplace VDP didn't know where the "agriculture" in the lyrics came from & disavowed it.

Would be great if you could find a source on that. I simply assumed that VDP decided to change it in 2004.
Another thing to consider is that Brian did call VDP up to ask what a forgotten lyric once, the word being "Indian". It's entirely possible that the slight lyric changes could be attributed to a hazy memory and the substituted word stuck.

But I definitely think it was 'Open Country' not 'Upper Country' It's quite obvious in the piano demo with Brian singing. Even though it's quiet, he comes in with an 'Oh-p' sound, not 'Uh-p'.

Like Dada pointed out, and as I expected, VDP settled on 'Columnated' as it was an old word for that "old timey Americana feel".

Another debated lyric change, as you all know is 'Fresh Zen Air' and 'Fresh Clean Air'...
Pied Piper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 05:22:13 PM »

What Van Dyke  said in ESQ Nov 2004 pertaining to new sequencing and lyrics was, "I don't take any credit at all for the big picture. I'm not saying that I approve of all the results. When I hear "I'm in the great shape of the agriculture..." I wasn't so sure I was going for it. Brian was ... very interested in agrarian stuff. ... He thought about the farmers and getting healthy, and being in great shape."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:26:17 PM by Pied Piper » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 06:04:29 PM »

Would be great if you could find a source on that. I simply assumed that VDP decided to change it in 2004.
Another thing to consider is that Brian did call VDP up to ask what a forgotten lyric once, the word being "Indian". It's entirely possible that the slight lyric changes could be attributed to a hazy memory and the substituted word stuck.

But I definitely think it was 'Open Country' not 'Upper Country' It's quite obvious in the piano demo with Brian singing. Even though it's quiet, he comes in with an 'Oh-p' sound, not 'Uh-p'.

Like Dada pointed out, and as I expected, VDP settled on 'Columnated' as it was an old word for that "old timey Americana feel".

Another debated lyric change, as you all know is 'Fresh Zen Air' and 'Fresh Clean Air'...

"Fresh zen air" is bullshit, although I'm not saying it was necessarily "Fresh clean air" back then, either. To my ears, Brian simply stumbles a bit there. If only he'd known an informal recording of him dicking with new pieces of music for a DJ would be misinterpreted for years to come.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
cutterschoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 06:13:58 PM »

I think I need to get those ESQ back issues... thanks for the info.

Yeah, the 'zen' lyric sounded more like 'freshened air around my head' when I listened to it. Sounds too soft to be 'zen'. Like you said, more likely to be a stumble
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »

it's important to remember that it's a demo, and the song was still being fleshed out...

i think "open country" was misheard by some Smile-o-philes (including Darian) as "agriculture" and unfortunately became the finished lyric

i think the line "hit the dirt, do a two-and-a-half" was totally off the cuff, and shouldn't have been included either
i even removed that line from my SMiLE mix and replaced it with "out in the barnyard" from the verse before

i also don't think Brian sang "fresh clean air" on the demo. i think he was still trying to find just the right words/syllables to use, and "fresh" is what came out

and this is as good a place as any to lament the loss of one of my favorite pieces of SMiLE music, the tag on the Cantina version of "H & V" with the wordless vocals, pizzicato strings, and chromatic harmonica. what's the other instrument... clarinet or bassoon?  that really should have stayed.

last but not least... it's "columnated" for Parks' sakes!!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:24:09 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 12:32:39 AM »

Sometimes the simple, direct route is the best. I just listened to Endless Harmony again - to my ears, the lyric goes:

Freshen air around my head [1]
Mornings tumble out of bed
Eggs and grits
And licketty-split
Look at me jump
I'm in the great shape
Of the upper country [2]

1 - definitely a sibilant 's', not an intrusive 'z' - Brian sings one word," Fresh-en", not two, "fresh zen"

2 - definitely not "agriculture": you can hear Brian 'pop' on the double p of "upper", and he clearly says "country" not "culture"

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 12:40:34 AM »

it's Open Country... trust us. very American. Upper Country is something we just wouldn't really say.
it's what the song's all about: fresh air, farmland, wide open spaces...
the fact that it says Open Country on Oppenheim's notes is a good indicator as well  Wink

and
"Freshen air around my head" Huh i don't buy it
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:55:54 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 01:30:18 AM »

it's Open Country... trust us. very American. Upper Country is something we just wouldn't really say.
it's what the song's all about: fresh air, farmland, wide open spaces...
the fact that it says Open Country on Oppenheim's notes is a good indicator as well  Wink

and
"Freshen air around my head" Huh i don't buy it

Nope, doesn't make sense to me either... but that's what he says.  Huh

Oppenheim's reel notes indicate nothing, as they were for an entirely different session (12/15/66): the 11/4/66 'demo' for Humble Harv wasn't filmed.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:35:27 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 01:52:20 AM »

I still say he stumbles on the, "Fresh ____ air around my head" part. I don't think it's "freshen", if anything.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2010, 03:07:36 AM »

I still say he stumbles on the, "Fresh ____ air around my head" part. I don't think it's "freshen", if anything.

Agreed, doesn't make any sense... but I can't think of what else it could be.  Smiley

Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2010, 04:29:16 AM »

Indeed it's hard to tell what Brian is singing on the first line. One other option I came across somewhere was "freshnin' air around my head...". I don't know if that makes sense, but to my ears it sounds quite good.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2010, 05:34:41 AM »

My preference would be for "fresh, clean air". Unfortunately, that's not what he's singing on the 'demo', any more than he's singing "fresh zen air".  Undecided

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2010, 06:47:32 AM »

Remember, this is a pun-filled song on a pun-filled album about old America (among other things) so, trust me, I too am from the USA, and its UPPER COUNTRY, a reference to the land west of the Appalachians (just look it up), a reference that VDP would surely love.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2010, 12:28:39 PM »

hahaha... ok

i live in the Appalachias and I've never heard anyone use the term "upper country"

the album is partly about westward expansion and this great land of ours. why would he focus on a relatively small, obscure region that most people have never heard of? I think it's also important to note that Van Dyke did not write every single lyric for SMiLE. Brian had been writing and singing about farming and eating a hearty breakfast almost from the very beginning with tunes like "Back Home" and "Farmer's Daughter"

agree to disagree i guess... as with so many things SMiLE.

the word "freshen" for instance ...never happened  Wink

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:40:12 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »

Remember, there was a time in the history of the US when the Appalachians were the west.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx