gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 01:56:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Lite' discussion: Hardest Beach Boys leads to sing  (Read 12040 times)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 10:00:32 PM »

When I sing that part, I sing the first part in head voice "I, wanna" then the next in falsetto "Crrrryyyyyyyy", then the next down into head voice again "aaaiiiiiiiii" then all the way down into chest voice "iiiiii".  Who in the hell writes like that?  I can't really hit it very well but it's fun to try I guess. 

But see, if you CAN do the phrase seamlessly, you're on your way to really being a singer!  If nothing else, it's a GREAT exercise to work on seamlessness - going from one part of your range to another without showing your break.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2006, 03:49:55 AM »

I've been able to hit all of Brian's parts without a problem in the last year now that I've realized I'm Falsetto. Even a lot of the stuff thats been mentioned here. I've been sick lately and I havent been able to sing, Im scared I might lose that range. Sad

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2006, 07:43:09 AM »

I've been able to hit all of Brian's parts without a problem in the last year now that I've realized I'm Falsetto. Even a lot of the stuff thats been mentioned here. I've been sick lately and I havent been able to sing, Im scared I might lose that range. Sad

Just to clarify a bit: 'falsetto' is defined as 'A male voice in an upper register beyond its normal range,' or, 'One who sings or talks in this register.'  In other words, it's not normal for one's singing/talking voice to be strictly falsetto, as it is beyond the normal range.  To sing and talk solely in that high of a range sounds, uh, kinda weird.  If that were the case, you would always sound like Aunt Bea from "The Andy Griffith Show".  I wouldn't classify Brian's voice at it's peak to be solely falsetto; rather, that he was a master of transitioning from normal voice to falsetto, because he could maintain that sharp tone throughout (meaning, unlike the soft, quivering tone of Aunt Bea.)    Wink
carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2006, 08:26:57 AM »

aaaannndddyyy!   ooopppiiiee!  Aunt Bea rocked! 

Michael Jackson would be considered a true falsetto.  I can't handle Frankie Valli's falsetto-my son laughs every time he hears a 4 seasons song, he says it sounds like someone is in the studio standing there with a pair of pliers planted on frankie's.......certain parts.....and when they need falsetto, they clamp down  LOL.   Brian's falsetto is seamless and natural sounding.  I love it.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2006, 08:43:48 AM »

I guess I'd add Student Demonstration Time as well.  Not because its an abnormal range or difficult melody, but because I can never listen to that pile of sh*t through to the end, let alone sing with it.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2006, 09:14:10 AM »

Just to clarify a bit: 'falsetto' is defined as 'A male voice in an upper register beyond its normal range,' or, 'One who sings or talks in this register.'  In other words, it's not normal for one's singing/talking voice to be strictly falsetto, as it is beyond the normal range.  To sing and talk solely in that high of a range sounds, uh, kinda weird.  If that were the case, you would always sound like Aunt Bea from "The Andy Griffith Show".  I wouldn't classify Brian's voice at it's peak to be solely falsetto; rather, that he was a master of transitioning from normal voice to falsetto, because he could maintain that sharp tone throughout (meaning, unlike the soft, quivering tone of Aunt Bea.)    Wink

I wasn't going to open this can of worms, but there it is.  I don't like how people throw the word "falsetto" around as a catch all for a guy singing higher, but whatever.  Those of us who aren't interested in vocal pedagogy and singing technique can probably get their thought across without worrying about the vast world of vocal registers.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2006, 12:03:50 PM »

I guess that's just one of those pet peeves I have, how "falsetto" is used to mean a high singing range.  I wouldn't classify even Michael Jackson as someone who sings strictly in "falsetto"; he just has a naturally helium-high voice, extremely unusual for a male, unless he is a castrato.  Though, He does go into falsetto for some of his vocal "riffs", but usually, he just singing in his normal range, not his "false" range.  That's why "falsetto" is named as such.  Example: Carl's singing on "Wild Honey": not a bit of falsetto, rahter just pushing his normal singing range.  Carl's singing on "Baby Blue": sounds to me, and I could be wrong, I have not looked into it, but it sounds pretty much all falsetto.  Hopefully no one thinks I am being too analytical about this.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2006, 12:07:22 PM »

I guess that's just one of those pet peeves I have, how "falsetto" is used to mean a high singing range.

Believe me, it's a pet peeve of mine as well.  I just feel like I've already said my piece in threads previous.  I'm definitely of the thought that Brian rarely was in true falsetto of any kind.  I think that's partially why he finds it so difficult to access these days, because he never had to use it.   He didn't have to, but now, it would help him.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2006, 02:32:48 PM »

I guess that's just one of those pet peeves I have, how "falsetto" is used to mean a high singing range.  I wouldn't classify even Michael Jackson as someone who sings strictly in "falsetto"; he just has a naturally helium-high voice, extremely unusual for a male, unless he is a castrato.  Though, He does go into falsetto for some of his vocal "riffs", but usually, he just singing in his normal range, not his "false" range.  That's why "falsetto" is named as such.  Example: Carl's singing on "Wild Honey": not a bit of falsetto, rahter just pushing his normal singing range.  Carl's singing on "Baby Blue": sounds to me, and I could be wrong, I have not looked into it, but it sounds pretty much all falsetto.  Hopefully no one thinks I am being too analytical about this.
Whacko Jacko's voice is put-on, including the speaking voice. Okay, make it *definitely* the speaking voice. On that horrible abomination of an album Invincible, there were a couple of songs where he actually sang deep. Plus, in that Martin Brashear(sp?) interview that got him in trouble from a few years back, there was one moment where he got angry and his voice dropped down an octave and a half. I about died laughing when I saw that.

cd#2..I've always hated Frankie Valli's voice. Actually, I never saw the big deal with the Four Seasons.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2006, 06:44:03 PM »

Whacko Jacko's voice is put-on, including the speaking voice. Okay, make it *definitely* the speaking voice. On that horrible abomination of an album Invincible, there were a couple of songs where he actually sang deep. Plus, in that Martin Brashear(sp?) interview that got him in trouble from a few years back, there was one moment where he got angry and his voice dropped down an octave and a half. I about died laughing when I saw that.

cd#2..I've always hated Frankie Valli's voice. Actually, I never saw the big deal with the Four Seasons.

You should post an audio example of what you mean about Michael Jackson's 'normal' range.  I'd like to hear it, perversely enough.

Frankie Valli is voice for me is love/hate.  I love it on songs like "Rag Doll", "Grease", "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You", "Working My Way Back To You", "December 1963", but when he sings so nasally high, to me, it sounds amateurish.  But, then, sometimes I like it!  I don't know, I am torn.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2006, 06:59:21 PM »

You should post an audio example of what you mean about Michael Jackson's 'normal' range.  I'd like to hear it, perversely enough.
It wasn't my cd. I can look for it on Lime Wire or something, and then I'll try to post it here. I'll quickly delete it off my hard drive, because my computer is too good for the Noseless Wonder.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2006, 07:21:44 PM »

Don't think I've ever sung a BB tune standing up...Almost always in the car, with a scrunched up diaphragm...Need to warm up first, drink some soda (NO DAIRY!)...Otherwise, they're all pretty tough...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2006, 07:59:27 PM »

When I saw the title of this thread, "Darlin" and "Wild Honey" immediately popped into my mind, just like others mentioned in this thread.

Others are "Friends", the studio version of WIBN (the Live In London version is easy), "She's Got Rhythm", "A Young Man Is Gone" (The lyrics to Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring always interfere in my mind), "Transcendental Meditation", "I Can Hear Music", "HELP Is On The Way" (too hard to keep up with the clumsy lyrics), "Your Imagination", "Orange Crate Art" (WAY too high).

Good vibes,
Eric
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2006, 08:22:02 PM »

I can actually sing OCA!

I have a recording of me doing Surfin USA (all leads and backups) floating around somewhere. If I find it, I'll upload it.

Just tried to do Be Here In the Morning...and can't. I keep going sharp.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2006, 10:47:59 PM »

LOL

thanks for the clarification...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2006, 10:59:49 PM »

No really, you *don't* want to hear it. I sound like a chipmunk on crank. I make my wife laugh with that one.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2006, 03:27:06 AM »

I agree, Michael Jackson is not a falsetto.  I don't know if anybody sings and speaks truly in nothing but falsetto.  Take, urgh, "Billie Jean" for instance.  He's singing the entire lead in just his regular, pretty high, head voice.  In the background, though, all of the "Ooh, oooh" and "Claims that, I am the one!" is in falsetto. 

It's true that his normal voice is much lower.  On one hand, the softspokeness of his urgh, whole interview, speaking voice is a put on (although his entire family also does it.  Ever seen his brothers give an interview?  They have the same softspoken, high pitched, childish voice, I guess it's something their parents taught them).  If you can drop all of Michael's weirdness and possible pedophilic behavior, he has an extremely talented voice, which helps explains why he's been so successful even in the face of all of his contraversy.  There's a song, "2000 Watts" on that album where he sings the lead down into a regular, male speaking voice... but he's also capable of a beautiful falsetto, a screaming raucous, nasal vocal, a very high head voice alto (I believe), and everything in between. 

An example of a totally falsetto lead would be like something by Barry Gibb.  Listen to Barry singing on "Stayin' Alive", then listen to Brian singing on "I Get Around" or something.  Totally night and day, while Barry has a great voice, his falsetto is more in line with what most men's falsetto sounds like, kind of nasal and thin.  Brian's great gift is that his is so pure and thick, it's really incredible. 

Frankie Valli's is pretty nasal, in my opinion, but so is his speaking voice.  A lot of the 4 seasons songs are just so very well written that they sound great to me even though those notes are a strain.  "Lets Hang On" and "Don't Think Twice, it's Alright" are my favorite 4 seasons songs. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 03:31:23 AM by Ron » Logged
mike slattery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2006, 04:53:22 AM »

I think Brian double tracked a lot of his vocals to thicken it out

I find 'Heroes and villains' very hard to sing - you have to sing in front of the beat fractionally to drive it along + it starts quite high and ends quite low
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2006, 04:58:11 AM »

Even without double tracking, Brian's high notes, especially in later stages, didn't sound thin.  Note: the stereo version of "You Still Believe In Me".  But, as stated before, Brian used most of the time not true "falsetto".; he used a mixture....that's why it's naturally sharp and thick. 
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2006, 05:26:43 AM »

I can't sing Mike's part in You Still Believe In Me all the way through, and that's frustrating. I could never do a vocals-only cover of Pet Sounds.

In Wild Honey, Carl hits that "swEET" note. That must be 'falsetto', right? It's a different register from the rest of the song. I Can Hear Music is another tough one.

Watch out for snakes!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2006, 11:56:08 AM »

Yeah, I don't know what that's called.  It's almost like a controlled Yelp.  I can do it on some of the songs, but like for instance, when he goes "And I can't explain... OHhhh NOOOOooo!" it's this frantic yelp kind of sound that's really high.  Wild Honey's all like that too.  "She's MYYY GIRLLL!" or whatever. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2006, 08:30:22 PM »

There's a song, "2000 Watts" on that album where he sings the lead down into a regular, male speaking voice...

That's the song. Sounds different, huh?

I can't sing Mike's part in You Still Believe In Me all the way through, and that's frustrating. I could never do a vocals-only cover of Pet Sounds.
Don't you mean "That's Not Me"?

Only PS song I cannot sing for the life of me is "IJWMFTT"...oh yeah, and of course the instrumentals  LOL

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2006, 08:53:08 PM »

I can sing "IJWMFTT" pretty well, "Don't Talk" is more hard for me. 
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2006, 05:59:36 AM »

Don't you mean "That's Not Me"?

No, the part at 1:46 of You Still Believe in Me.

Watch out for snakes!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx