gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:57:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Lite' discussion: Hardest Beach Boys leads to sing  (Read 11983 times)
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:33:34 AM »

When you're singing along with the Beach Boys in your car all alone, or what have you, what are the songs you generally struggle with? I don't have a very deep voice, so I can't hit the low note in Shut Down, for example. I also struggle to keep up with Darlin' and Cotton Fields (the second time through "it was BACK IN LOUISIANA"). I also have trouble with Don't Worry Baby, as I am sure many people do, what with the seamless register switching. Similarly for Don't Talk, Let Him Run Wild, and even Lonely Sea.

Watch out for snakes!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 07:37:59 AM »

Mike's parts are usually within my range, all the others are usually too high for me.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:42:39 AM »

Mike's parts are usually within my range, all the others are usually too high for me.

Try an elastic band.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:42:57 AM »

My voice can go actually a little higher than Brian's, but I can never hit the transition in Surf's Up (Columnated Ruins Do-AH-mi-nooooo). Going from low to high, I always miss the pitch. Same thing with Elton John's Rocket Man.

And yet the original Don't Worry Baby is right in my range, as is Don't Talk. Go fig.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 07:44:55 AM »

That's Not Me is very hard to sing - i'm talking about holding the long note

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 07:45:22 AM »

My voice can go actually a little higher than Brian's, but I can never hit the transition in Surf's Up (Columnated Ruins Do-AH-mi-nooooo). Going from low to high, I always miss the pitch. Same thing with Elton John's Rocket Man.

And yet the original Don't Worry Baby is right in my range, as is Don't Talk. Go fig.

That bit in Surf's Up must be one of the most difficult in pop.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 07:51:34 AM »

WIBN….just a bad key for me. I just can’t hit those notes for some reason.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 07:54:17 AM »

Yeah, WIBN is another ridiculously high head voice lead. I can hit the notes, but I get all whiny.

Watch out for snakes!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 08:01:27 AM »

That's Not Me is very hard to sing - i'm talking about holding the long note

Yeah, that's actually an interesting one that not many people would think of, but it's just an awkward song to sing.  Something with the phrase lengths.  Mike did a good job, but you can hear him struggle with certain parts.  It's not one of those songs that sings itself.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 08:24:56 AM »

I really only have trouble with that note when I am walking and listening to Pet Sounds, because the walking makes me use up my breath. It's an interesting challenge, I guess. I always try to hold it as long as I can.

Watch out for snakes!
MBE
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 08:51:20 AM »

Don't Talk is super hard. Actually unless I have a cold Dennis' post 74 leads are a little rough.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 09:16:01 AM »

Wild Honey and Darlin are bitches.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
MBE
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 11:27:03 AM »

You said it!
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 12:13:17 PM »

Don't feel bad, they were for Carl too, yet they still released 'em.  Wink
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 02:24:23 PM »

In my honest opinion, the most impossible Beach Boys song to sing is "Don't Worry Baby".  It's hard for me to believe anybody can seamlessly go through head voice into falsetto like Brian does in that song, and not only does he do that little trick right there... he does it OVER AND OVER AGAIN, and even goes like Head Voice, Falsetto, back down into Head Voice.  It's like vocal gymnastics. 

I think my voice is pretty decent but nothing great.  I've just been recently getting more consistant at being able to sing things like "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "You Still Believe in Me" in key and fully. 

I like the little things they do live in concert sometimes that add a lot to the song.  For instance on the "In Concert" CD where Carl? I guess sings "Wouldn't It Be Nice" the way he walks down "stayyyy to GETHA!" is flawless.  Brian sang the original just in a pure falsetto sound, but Carl turns it into like a sterling, elated comment on how he loves this girl he's singing about.

Al's live version of "You Still Believe In Me" is just beautiful, too.  The end part is kind of weird to sing solo or acapella.

The funnest Beach Boys song to sing is "I Get Around".  The way it's made, you can jump from the "my part of town" up into falsetto on "I'm a real cool head! I'm making real good bread!" and it sounds great.

Another impossible one to sing for me at least is "Catch A Wave".  Brian sounds like Jesus or something on that song, it's incredible.  "those who don't jussss HAVE TO put it DOWWWWWN, owww OWWWWNNN" head, falsetto, head, falsetto.  Incredible voice. 
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »

I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man  Grin
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 02:31:02 PM »

Nearly all Beach Boys songs are hard for me to sing right. When I'm singing Wouldn't It Be Nice, for example, I sing most of it a little lower than my range, which is much lower than the recording and then I sing the "staayy together"-type parts in my normal voice.. even with all that, the "let's taaalk about it" part is sometimes too hard.

Hawaii just rapes my larynx.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 03:44:00 PM »

"Friends" is nearly impossible for me; ditto "Wild Honey" and "Darlin". "In My Room", however, is ridiculously easy for me, as are "Don't Worry Baby" and "Surfer Girl". Oddly enough, though, my voice is a mix between current Brian and Sunflower-era Brian...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 05:15:41 PM »

Without a doubt, "Surf's UP" You might nail it one day, and completely miss it the next. An impossibly beautiful song to vocalize...

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 03:45:34 AM »

Brian´s falsetto on the chorus of "She Knows Me Too Well", and then again at he fade-out. It´s so incredible powerful.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 07:36:09 AM »

Even with a female voice, it's hard to hit Brian's falsettos in the early songs, Why do fools fall in love is nearly impossible for me.  But, I can hit Surf's up spot on a good part of the time, the easiest for me to sing is either Til I die or Cottonfields, Al's vocals are pretty easy for me.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2006, 07:54:17 AM »

Funny you should say that, Carly - i use Brian's falsetto on the early songs as part of my warm-up before a gig, because it makes me work through a break and get it seamless before i have to perform!

Hardest vocal line for me to sing is the Cry-y-y--yy-y-y in "You Still Believe In Me."  The whole song is channelging, because it works through a couple of breaks and requires a pretty good range in the first place, but that "cry" not only goes through two breaks, but also goes on forever!  THAT is one tough MF to sing!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 08:07:59 AM »

Funny you should say that, Carly - i use Brian's falsetto on the early songs as part of my warm-up before a gig, because it makes me work through a break and get it seamless before i have to perform!

Hardest vocal line for me to sing is the Cry-y-y--yy-y-y in "You Still Believe In Me." The whole song is channelging, because it works through a couple of breaks and requires a pretty good range in the first place, but that "cry" not only goes through two breaks, but also goes on forever! THAT is one tough MF to sing!

I don't know why it's so hard for me to sing Brian's falsetto, but after doing it for a while, I end up hoarse, I am need of a vocal coach for sure.  I would never be able to get the cryyy part in YSBIM.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2006, 12:48:16 PM »

When I sing that part, I sing the first part in head voice "I, wanna" then the next in falsetto "Crrrryyyyyyyy", then the next down into head voice again "aaaiiiiiiiii" then all the way down into chest voice "iiiiii".  Who in the hell writes like that?  I can't really hit it very well but it's fun to try I guess. 
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 08:00:55 PM »

"Columnated ruins domino," from "Surf's Up."

I have to sing the lower harmony part--the part that Brian himself sings on the 2004 SMiLE version--if I'm going to get through the song.

Glenn
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx