gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:17:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello Smilers!  (Read 3882 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:58:11 AM »

I'm Adam and I'm 18 and I grew up listening to Endless Summer and Spirit of America.  I was never a huge fan but I could definitely remember hearing both of those albums during my childhood.  As I grew older and became more interested in the history of pop music, I bought Pet Sounds and I still never get tired of it.  Brian Wilson's SMiLE also became a regular listen and I became incredibly interested in Brian's story.  Since I bought The Smile Sessions this past September, the Beach Boys have become a small obsession of mine.  I've taken advantage of Spotify and discovered The Beach Boys Today!, Sunflower, Love You and so on.  I have yet to check out any of their later albums starting with M.I.U. but judging from what I've read, I don't think I'm quite ready (haha) though I have heard some of the more acclaimed tracks from those albums like Good Timin' which is one of my favorites.  I've also become a big fan of Brian Wilson's solo albums particularly his eponymous album, the I Just Wasn't Made For These Times soundtrack, Reimagines Gershwin, and That Lucky Old Sun.  I became curious and had a lot of questions and I was glad I found this site and found answers that I couldn't find elsewhere like why Jack Rieley sings lead vocals on Day in the Life of a Tree or why Sail On Sailor has five credited writers.  I look forward to taking part in discussions and getting to know some of you.  Smiley

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:40:39 AM »

welcome! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:34:53 AM »

Good day!  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 09:29:36 AM »

Welcome!

Don't feel bad about not hearing MIU and on...I haven't delved into those albums either lol.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »

Welcome!!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »

Re the later albums:
15 Big Ones is an acquired taste...It might sound "off" if you're used to the BBs 60s sound.
Love You is a must-listen. It's got the sound and vibe of 15 Big Ones but done much better, with better original songs, and no oldies covers.
MIU-My Diane is the standout track...the rest is take it or leave it, though I enjoy some of the tracks from that album.
LA Light-awesome minus the disco song.
KTSA-don't bother
BB85-enjoyable, but bogged down by the period production-though Where I Belong stands out
Still Cruisin-Somewhere Near Japan is the only worthwhile song
Summer in Paradise-don't bother
Stars and Stripes-I've been a BBs fan for over half a decade now, I've heard just about everything by them there is to hear, and I still refuse to give this record the time of day....don't bother unless you want to hear Toby Keith sing Be True To Your School.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »

I've heard 15 Big Ones and Love You.  I don't mind 15 Big Ones, it's definitely not terrible and I love Just Once In My Life.  Love You is definitely in my top five Beach Boys albums.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx